TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 2:38 pm

put the rams into their brackets this morning and this afternoon I'm going to attempt to put together the hydraulic hose fittings into the rams.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1247

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1310
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 pm

and just a little fiddling tonight before bed time...…….a pair of fire extinguishers for the cabin interior.....made from a little plasticard and plastic tubing...……..need a little sanding and cleaning up once the glue has set.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1311
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 pm

whilst the weather is cold outside and the workshop like a fridge i'm adding little items that go to make up the detail on the model.

it's a kit, a working boat, not a cup hunter, and its mine built from the box, not chopped, changed or enhanced with pocket busting additions costing a fortune...…..that's not what modelling is about.....its about enjoying what you do and not what you can spend to show off to others...….

as such, small little details that enhance a model that people find fascinating are the little bits that I enjoy putting on to a model, or inside that can be seen.

therefore this afternoon in the warmth of the back room with a good film, a warm radiator and just some little pieces of plastic and glue it put together the brackets and trays for the fire extinguishers and some small box holders for such things as pens for chartwork, cups, bottles and binoculars etc......a myriad of things...………..there are 4 on the Fleetwood boat and that is what I made.....[still to finish]

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1312

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1313

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1314
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 pm

hi neil,

that's what I like neil 2thumbsup they finish it of all of the little things, what has some times been difficult times in the build of the boat, it keeps you going thinking the end will come soon then on to the water and happy days lol! 

david.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 pm

that's it, david………..you slog on, sometimes it is 2 steps forward, one back...………….or in my case 1 forward 2 back at times.

but then, all of a sudden, its time to put all the parts together, on they go, and hey ho, you have a model, as you say, ready to sail...…….

im nowhere near that stage yet, but the parts bin is slowly getting smaller...…..and one day they'll be all used lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 pm

So!!……….after my daughters' 20th birthday bash and meal at the pub. I came home and sat and played a while...…….they need a little cleaning up, but these two items are the fire blanket and the first aid kit bag....…..made from white miliput.

i'll set them aside to cure and then trim and sand down tomorrow.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1315

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1316
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 2:21 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 pm

been out most of the day, but sat down in the warmth this evening to start fitting the trim tabs......getting them lined up was the hardest part, not in the part of actually lining them, up...…….that was easy peasy…..it was actually keeping the tabs and brackets still in order to do so...….I used copious amounts of masking tape, and using a 6" steel rule projected the destination of the ram rod...…..and after drilling the pilot holes for those [nylon] rod, I tried them out...…..perfect first time.

I then enlarged the guide holes to take the guide sleeves for the rods. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1323

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1324

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1325

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1326

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1327

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1328
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm

there's a lot of hype about having working trim tabs on a scale lifeboat or other fast patrol craft, but for me, it is all just hype.

I've seen videos of both these Shannon models, Severn models, and other vessels sailing with them and without them, and using in both up, down and neutral positions, and TBH,  the effect that they have is minimal IMHO as a scale boat, and I really can't be bothered going to the time and expense of upgrading my radio gear, or using switches or Arduino [what ever that is] to operate gear that I have never used nor would know how to use.

the only "gimmick" that I will be putting on to the boat are working lights and radar.

BUT, for sake of getting the tabs damaged in an accident I have decided to make them moveable...……...i.e. they will go up/down to a certain degree.

for this I decided to make them spring loaded so that any pressure on them from water will raise or drop them on a captivated compression spring, similar to those used in a retractable ball point pen.

the springs will run on the outside of the ram rods inside a box, open at the top to allow the rods to rise and fall, and captivated at the bottom of the box to stop the actual movement.

I have fabricated the  workings as far as I can, but cannot go further until final fitting of the water jet outlets and the trim tabs onto the boat, so that the ram rods are set in position. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1329

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1330

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1331

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1332
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

whilst I had the hull indoors because of the cold workshop, I also sanded and faired in the bow rope guides, that are used to hold the bow strops in place when not hooked up to the SLARS winch strops that haul the boat onto the trailer.

on the speedline Shannon, these parts were supplied as 3D prnted parts, but had to make them from plasticard on the MBD boat...…..they will be sanded tomorrow.

however, on my boat, the Speedline model, they will have a "bung" running down the length of the guide...…..as she is an "afloat" boat, i.e. kept in the water in a river bases pen, she is not fitted with the rope strops, and as such the guide is fitted with a rubber infill [easily removed should she ever go to another station with a trailer or slip launch system.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1333

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1334
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 6:17 pm

and to bring the build up to date, this afternoon I fitted temporarily the main VHF areals to line up the roof brackets and side pivots.

then it was the turn of the jet inlet grills, 

and finally I raised the thickness of the boat hook locating brackets ready for positioning......here I glued a piece of plasticard to the base of each bracket to give it greater chance of holding the boat hooks. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1335

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1336

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1337

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190210

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190211

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1338
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 pm

and the boat hook end bracket, now reamed out with a dental burr ready for attaching to the cabin side.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1339

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1340
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 pm

on looking at photos of anything that needed attaching permanently to the boat before spraying, I found that the boathook retention brackets plus the rear stopper to stop the boathooks sliding backwards both needed fitting...……….

but there the "problem" arose in that the rear stoppers are not included in the kit...…...so out came the plasticard and plastic glue.....and these were soon rattled off, ready for fitting tomorrow.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1341

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1342

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1410

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1411

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1412
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 pm

have now finished the stoppers, and ready for pinning and fitting to the cabin sides...….tomorrows first job.

then whilst I was demoulding 3  fenders that I sold earlier today on ebay I found that the same mould contained two hand force pumps for classic 1930 - 50's lifeboats, plus a little addition of a set of binoculars,RNLI lifeboat pattern Barr and Strouds, so i'll hang them somewhere on the flying bridge of my Shannon.....an added little detail. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1413

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1414
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 1:29 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm

getting nearer to the boats needing spraying, in that I have either drilled the positioning holes for parts to be added later, or for permanent fixtures that are to be coloured in their respective positions.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1415

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1418

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1416

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1419
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Looking great Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 12:25 am

cheers matey. …………...suffering tonight though...……..been using superglue for days, and I am allergic to it, even with full respirator mask on......so coughing and sneezing like crazy now for the next few days till my sinuses recover...…….back to slower 5minute epoxy. lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 pm

just straying off piste for a moment..making this whilst 30min epoxy cures...……….and a sideways delve into a little bit of the real stuff...……...working in my true media… beautiful wood…..does anyone understand a lady's mind...…….does a weekend away in a French city do the trick for a birthday and impress your lady...………….or is a lady more susceptible and more grounded to a mans simple gestures…… a bunch of flowers...……….or perhaps something you have made for her from your own hands...…

On September 4th 1970, on my first day of university I met for the first time the only lady that I have ever really loved, other than my two daughters.

She asked me to marry her in July 1975, but as I had just been offered a post teaching in Australia, I told her that I would if she were to go with me...…...sadly she had an ailing mother and sister to look after and we parted company...….I told her the last time I saw her a month before I was due to fly that I would be back with a ring for her.as in the John Denver song "Leaving on a jet plane!"

Just over two years later I returned and paid her a call to be met by a husband, and young child...……..gutted and distraught, I put the thoughts of her and the ring to the back of my mind, and in fact lost the ring for another 40 years...…

But 3 years ago, we re-met and our feelings deep down were just the same after all those years...……...so how does one tell the lady that he has loved all these years, just what he feels, in deed as in word...…………..well, its not a trip to gay Paris'.

I found the ring that I had bought for her in Australia 42 years ago,,in an antique jewellery shop,  and have now made a little box for It......the same timber that In used to  make a jewellery box for her in my first year of teaching in 1974, which she still keeps even after 42 years of a tortuous marriage.

Bearing in mind that we both studied the same historical geography course at uni...delving into the history of our country and world through a geographical nature…..this ring is a little more special than just the lock stock gold ring...…..it isn't a gold ring, wedding or otherwise, and of modern circ age...……….but a bronze "friendship" ring, dated to 11c - 14c medieval...………...approximately 1000 years old...…….

I just hope that she likes it.. I know she will!

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1420

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1422

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1423

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1424

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1425
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 pm

and now, back top model boat making...…..the skid runner plates that make contact with the SLARS trailer have been added to the underside of the hull at the stern of the boat.....

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Skid_p10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Skid_p11

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Skid_p12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 pm

Blurry marvelous Matey.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 pm

at times, you come to a dead stop...……..lack of inspiration because you have never done the process before...…..or lack of knowledge...………...or just the fact that you have exhausted all avenues...…..and have to leave it for a while...….

i'm talking about displaying the interior of the Shannon cabin when the boat is on show...….

it was Adrian goslings idea that as I had put so much work into the interior, it SHOULD be displayed...…….and so I have been mulling over the idea and just how to do it.

I decided not to fix it into the cabin as I had earlier decided, but to mount it on rails resting on beams set into the hull so that the deck/cabin assembly would slip over the interior. and that inspiration came from getting the crew together, with a good strong 7.3% beer and  thinking just how to do it.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0410

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0411

so that, if as said somewhere else, the boat might be top heavy with the interior stacked with all the detailing, sat in place and therefor unstable on tight turns...…….. then, so once it has been statically viewed with the stuff sat in place, it can be removed and cabin placed on the boat ready for a nice sail......perfick.

so I started building the configuration by cutting the support rails across and longitudinally for the cabin insert...…..this I have done and left overnight to glue and set hard......I used tightbond aliphatic quick grab resin and cherry for the structure,

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190214

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190215

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190216
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm

well, that was a complete and utter waste of time, timber and brain cells, never mind construction and glue...….….the frame fit into the hull, the interior fit into the frame, and the top even slid over the interior………..but it wouldn't sit down onto the hull correctly...……...so back to the drawing board and design something more practical...……….BUT......at a later date, can't be arrr………..bothered at the moment as I have a model to get ready for painting...bahhh humbug!!! 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190217

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190218

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190219
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm

after the disaster of the support rails that never were. Regarding the interior display support, I got on with making little bits and bats for the hull to place on it prior to spraying...…….this time it was the case of all the small circular outlets for discharging coolants, self bailers etc

I haven't seen these supplied in the kit so made them from decreasing diameter plastic tubing.

I think from photos there are 9 on each boat, but have made an extra one for each but will check this from the photos I have of the 3 boats at hand. .

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1510

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1511

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1512

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1513
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2019 5:29 pm

I think the two boats are now ready for taking down to my mate Stavros's house in Wales for spraying up...…..but there lies a problem...…...I have no car, lol...…………….and might not have until later in march, if my insurers write mine off...…..

but I have been adding the last little bits to the hulls today on both boats.....

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1514

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1515

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1516
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Looking fwd to doing them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm

yr a hero mate...…….I appreciate it very much...…...and so does mick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pm

I am torn between one of the most fidly jobs I will probably ever have to do on a model.

on the Speedline model kit, there is a  set of plates on the aft end of the upper superstructure top which is laser cut and has raised bolt heads on the nickel metal plates...……...on the models by design moulds, there are no raised bolt heads, and so these need adding.

to do this mick bought me some 2mm hexagonal extruded HIPS plastic rod which will take the place of the nuts, when cut to thickness.

but how to cut to uniform thickness for the 200 or so "bolt heads"

simples...……...make a jig...….and then cut them all uniformly.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1614

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1615

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1617

that's 155 cut...………...will have to count tomorrow how many more to do......tedious, but then some parts of model making can be.

but!!!...……..do I stick them to some sticky tape and paint them separately...……...or! do I stick them on to the cabin and then paint the whole as one, and then touch up the bolt heads with silver later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 pm

You are NOT going anywhere near MY PAINTWORK with a ruddy paintbrush,stick them some tape and use a silver spray can and then use a set of tweezers and some glue and stick them on after if has been painted.

Paint them  after it has been painted INDEED

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm

stavros wrote:
You are NOT going anywhere near MY PAINTWORK with a ruddy paintbrush,stick them some tape and use a silver spray can and then use a set of tweezers and some glue and stick them on after if has been painted.

Paint them  after it has been painted INDEED

Dave

yes dad, alright dad, i'll do as you say , dad...…..100 lines "I must not paint them after the boats have been painted", 

sorreeeee!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 pm

I think I've just about got ready all the bits that should go onto the hull and superstructure, and fitted them on to the boat………….

the last two pieces being the forward tool pod hatch cover [starboard side] and the fore storage hatch surrounds and cover.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190227

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190228

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 20190229
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:15 pm

You all packed and raring to go 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 2:06 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm

stavros wrote:
You all packed and raring to go 

Dave
no mate, I'm not...…...was going to pack this afternoon as they will take up the boot and two rear seats...……………

but my two lovely daughters have decided to both go out with their mates to separate venues tonight , and so I will be acting as dads taxi till god know what time...

so will put the boats in the car tomorrow, but the rest is packed.....timber, plans and paint......and a breakfast wrap from mackydee's to look forward too tomorrow as we set off, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

my workshop looks positively bare now that the two Shannons have set sail for north wales, BUT...…

My good friend Dave Stavros Jones, seems to be snowed under with Shannons, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1618

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1619

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1620
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 am

I have to say, daves workshop looks almost as lived in as mine,  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 12:48 am

And mine   lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 am

Thats it ethnic cleansing time comming up soon......whenever that will be lol.......Plans are afoot to extend the workshop with a 10x8 addition so all the boats and other stuff including all my fishing gear can be stored in that....out of sight and out of mind.
Then it's a major rewireing and rearrangement so I can have more  working space,drop the workbench around 6ins move all the toys,drill press etc to one side of the workshop...OK OK OK  we all know what will happen YES correct Dave will fill it all up AGAIN

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! ……..the old saying comes to mind about space expands coefficiently to the amount of crap you make to put in it...…….I know! my workshop is like Tardis, lol! lol! .

now, on a more serious note, now that the boats have been received into Daves' magical hands, I have got town to the task of getting my fittings ready and copying these in plasticard and other materials for Micks boat.

and as I have lost, in my wonderful tidy workshop, the "T" plate cover for the mast gantry, and the navigation light boxes, I made a new one for mine and nav light boxes for both boats.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1621

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1622

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1623
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 6:52 pm

and then it was on to fitting the radar motor into the "T" mast gantry...….

a little cutting away of the surface inside the recess of the casting was needed and done with a dental burr fitted to my drill and the motor which has a 90* drive shaft fitted could be located...….a very small neat motor fitting into a tight space, but it works.

the wiring will be coiled in cotton to give the effect of plastic trunking and then fitted to the mast legs as on the actual boat for realism. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1624

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1625

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1626

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1627

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1628
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: WHAT NOT TO DO!!!   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 9:57 pm

What not to do when you have a perfectly good 3D printed fitting with the waste printing material still attached...….

take a band saw to cut the waste off and then snag the thing and put lovely cuts all over it....bahhh humbug!!!

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0412

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0413

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0414

all is now filled with milliput….just wait for it to cure and then sand smooth...……..hopefully be as good as new.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0415
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 12:37 pm

repaired...…...I won't do that again, lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0416

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_0417

just need a little sanding down now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 9:58 am

Oooooh I heard the harsh words from here in Aus, matey  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 3:30 pm

they were that Damien…...I slapped my own face for my stupidity lol.

anyway...…..time marches on and next fiddly job was to drill the stanchions...…...this done, I have mounted them on a board drilled to take the "pegs" and will now spray them. 

first with a filler primer and then grey. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1629

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1630
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 pm

The Stantions are looking good,and will look like the real thing when all finished.
Going back to the erm slightly butchered item,at least it was the object you cut,and not yourself for a change lol Surprised Surprised Surprised Embarassed Embarassed
Thank god for milliput.
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 7:03 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
The Stantions are looking good,and will look like the real thing when all finished.
Going back to the erm slightly butchered item,at least it was the object you cut,and not yourself for a change lol Surprised Surprised Surprised Embarassed Embarassed
Thank god for milliput.
Mick F

I've learned to jump quickly backwards when something snags...…….wasn't quick enough whilst teaching in OZZ  and the circular bench saw was too quick for me, took it's revenge for all the ill-treatment I gave it and took the end of my thumb off...……..so i'm rather wary of saws these days and have learned to jump quickly.

affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: identification of parts for shannon.   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 4:50 pm

last night I put  a request on the RNLI Fleetwood face book page asking what these parts were, as on one of my early parts lists for the Shannon, from Speedline's website, I could not see what they were as they were not even listed. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1710

in fact such things as the input and output deck speakers are listed under the vague "bridge instruments"...…...one of each of these are on the fore cabin next to the escape w/t hatch......the list is to be honest very vague indeed, and unless you have a friend of both mechanic and an ex coxs'n you have a devils own job to identify some parts.

so I went down to the boat this morning only a few ours after she and the crew and the D class had saved a man from drowning in the early hours, with Paul the ex coxs'n to try to find the objects. we scoured the main cabin, the survivors cabin and even went into the entrance to the engine room before we decided that an item meant to be on show on a model wouldn't be in the bowels of the boat.

I asked him what the search light looked like, and he told me where the deck located one was, and we opened the locker on the flying bridge...…...to find the round bin like object.....eureka......that fitting listed as the search light, is not the searchlight...……...but for all we know a bloody washing up bowl………..the item in the pic above is the searchlight body.

what the other two items that look like a motor with spindle he has never seen on this or any other boat...……..

but if Zetec or anyone else professing to be more knowledgeable than our cox, knows what the two motor thingies are and also what this is......please let me know....thanks...…..but as listed on the early list......the two motors are not starter motors for the fore deck capstain…...and the round truncated cone is not the searchlight as earlier listed. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1711

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1712
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 8:10 pm

I started putting the delta anchor together tonight for the MBD boat...……….

and then thought...…."wait a minute"...….I have a mould for making just such an anchor that I made some years back for a boat I had built...……

why waste time when I have a couple ready...……….they don't have the same design as that supplied by the Speedline kit,[ the Speedline anchor is of correct design and shape,] and if mick doesn't like the delta anchor, I have a trick up my sleeve.....so keep an eye open for the later development. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1714

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1715

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1716

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Img_1717
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next