TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 1:31 am

the small jobs now are the time consuming fiddly jobs.....the quickest today was shimming the 3.7mm shafts to go into the holes of 5mm of the coupling......easy peasy, just using a 5mm dia. aluminium tube with a 1mm slot cut out of it …..perfect fit for the outgoing motors, so should be good for the incoming ones.

next was to fit the brackets for the strops onto the keel at the bow...…...another simple but fiddly and a little time consuming job...….....but done this afternoon. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2313

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2314

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2315
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Blurry marvelous matey  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I have decided that now the Models by Design Shannon is so close to finish with the Speedline model close behind its pretty pointless to keep posting continual photos with very little change to them except the odd fitting or two being added.

As such I will post these last few photos of Micks boat with name, station and pennant number being added but once both boats have been completed I'll post some of both boats in a comparison to show what differences there are between a carriage launch and an afloat boat, if any plus a comparison there is between the two manufacturers. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2316

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2317

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2318

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2319
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 1:34 am

As already posted- like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 2302161080 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup blurry marvelous Matey  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm

on the final lap...…….hope its a victory lap......the rear pulpit rail has been glued on and the stanchions also.

i'm a bit annoyed actually [ to say the least] that both mick and I have had 5 days wasted as someone told him on a facebook forum that his motors supplied with the MBD kit were nowhere near powerful enough to get the model up on to the plane...………..but these boats in real life are not planers anyway...…….only semi-planers, but mick took this persons word for it even though I was sceptical, as mick can't even sail one of my old classics without trying to  punch a hole in the pond at Blackpool show, but he was convinced this geezer was right and so I took them out for him with difficulty, I might add, and waited for mick to buy new ones that this other person had recommended.

bearing in mind that the existing ones are outrunners, that apparently need little cooling, we waited days [although it seemed like weeks] for the new motors to arrive, and they came with recommended ESC's...……….

the new ones came this morning...…...inrunners, AND  the ESC's were for a car with forward and reverse.....not needed as the jets cannot be used in reverse...….….and the sodding motors wouldn't fit....the body was too long for the space, but even more problematic was the fact that the output shaft on the motor was 12 mm shorter than the original motors and as such, the motors' shafts wouldn't reach the UJ couplings once the coupling was mated up to the impellor shaft...…...god!!!!! was I  really bloody annoyed, not only for the waste of money that mick had spent on new useless motors AND ESC's because of someone's information but for the time wasted taking the original ones out, trying to fit the new ones by reducing the spacers on the motors, and finally having to refit the original motors.

and just to clarify matters, I looked up the specifications of the ones supplied with the KMB jet drives and they are EXACTLY THE SAME SPECIFICATIONS  as the Turnigy brushless motors supplied with the Speedline Shannon kit jets!!!...…….boy was I angry this morning. 

anyway, as I said, on to the last lap this afternoon, and now started rounding up the final bits for fitting tomorrow.

now that the motors are back in place, I can reasonably and safely work on the boats deck with little worry to set up all the bottle screws and safety lines through the stanchions. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2320

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2321

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2322

and then once I have finished it this weekend, I can hire a petrol strimmer to try to rescue my lawn and garden which I have negrected for the last 3 months whilst trying to get these two boats finished for summer shows...…….at least i'll be able to find pooch at night without sending a search party out.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2323

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2324
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Looks like you've got squatters Neil - or is that where the Daughters have banished you to? lol! lol! lol! lol!

Good to see you've not been idol whilst I've been away.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 8:08 pm

barriew wrote:
Looks like you've got squatters Neil - or is that where the Daughters have banished you to? lol! lol! lol! lol!

Good to see you've not been idol whilst I've been away.

Barrie

Well matey...…...I think the squatters are some pygmies from the werthfqarwey tribe of Borneo...........who hide in the long grass........... seldom to be seen above it...…….but the tent is a brain storm of mine having a mid life crisis and thinking of my younger days with a Vango force 10, a primus, frying pan and an MGB...………...Well I've made a start...…...got the rest, just got to buy my next MGB ready for next summer, lol. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 3:48 pm

I Can do a petrol strimmer hire for a price.....man comes with it 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 5:07 pm

stavros wrote:
I Can do a petrol strimmer hire for a price.....man comes with it 

Dave

cheers mate but I booked one for tomorrow...…...tenner for the day...…………..see what damage to wildlife I can do with it...……….and by wild life, I mean ME,  lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Ive got an electric one but it'd take days with that lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Unfortunately I had to give Mick French some bad news about his Shannon model just a little while ago.........….

Sadly I will no longer be able to moan to him about the model, the kit or anything about it.........

no!! I haven't thrown it in the bin, as I would have liked to have done with the both of them many times...…...….

it's because I'VE FINISHED IT...…..WHOOOOPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!.........and although i'm very critical of my own builds, its turned out none too shabby.this was/is micks Models by design basic kit, not the Speedline kit.

just got mine to finish now!!!...….hope to by the end of next week before I take Mick French's boat down to him in Cornwall.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2410

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2411

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2412

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2413

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2415
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 11:10 am

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 pm

and I can finally now get round to finishing my own model from the Speedline kit.

I have resoldered the final two new LED's that I broke on the mast and had to replace and insulated them using 2 part epoxy and cobblers thread wrapping the wires to the mast stays...…

and then it is just a case of picking a hand full of fittings to the boat in the correct places, now that I have practiced the process on micks boat...………..I don't need to post any more until I have finished this boat which should be by the weekend before I take micks to Cornwall and I can get a couple of shots of the two together in a finished state. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2416

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2417
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 10:16 pm

BECAUSE THEY ARE WORTH IT, LOL...as the advert says...…..

I set down this afternoon to build two stands for the two boats.....may as well whilst plucking up the courage to finish off wiring up the new lights on the mast which were broken in the clumsy accident..

and then guilt set in tonight so at 22.05 this evening I finished soldering the connections and plugs for the last two lights on the mast, and the two fore cabin spot lights...…...now all lights working and plugged I can turn the deck the right way up tomorrow and get sticking parts onto the decks and cabin leading to finishing it over the weekend hopefully ready for the Lifeboat day a week Saturday at Fleetwood. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2418

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2419

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2420

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2421
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

I'd forgotten to fix the MOB hoist to the cabin starboard side, which has a spot lamp on the end, which is a working light, and so fitted that this evening and spliced it in to the fore spotlight wires...……...NOW ALL the lights work, and so tomorrow i'll begin fitting all the fixtures and fittings...…….tonight I'm going to make some oval links, similar to Cuckoo clock chain for the safety line attachments to the stanchions, a tedious job bit one needing to be done.

I used to use Cuckoo clock chain when I could buy it for £1.50 a chain [ about 2.5 mtres long], but the cost these days is astronomical

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2422

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_2423
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: finished,....finito,    like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm

WELL, I've even less to moan about now, and boy ohhhh boy am I a happy man...…..

coz I've finished both Shannon's, bar for a little paint touching up on the mast of my boat after I smashed it, plus the "Lifeboat" decals that will hopefully be waiting for me when I return from Cornwall and hopefully hand Mick French 's boat to him undamaged.

I'll touch up the paint on Friday night ready for the Fleetwood lifeboat day on Saturday when it will be on show...

The detailed interior can wait till I get home and tidied my work shop up, put all the build detritus away, and looked in awe at the fact that apart from the two grills to go onto my boat at some stage before I set her up for sailing...I have NO left over fittings in the boxes...….a bloody miracle for me and a kit build boat, lol...….

I now just have to find out from my mate Milbs just what speed controllers and voltage reducer for the radar I need......he's my guru,

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0888

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0889

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0890

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0893

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0891

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0892

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0894

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0895

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0896

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0897

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0898

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Img_0899
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 pm

At least the fitting make my paintwork look quite good even though I say it myself
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 am

Very interesting Neil you have the same drill press as me except mine grew a double height pedestal tube needed at time I was modifying Hill climb/sprint cars.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Damien wrote:
Very interesting Neil you have the same drill press as me

Snap, I have one the same as well........... we'll have to form a drill press club Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 5:10 pm

stavros wrote:
At least the fitting make my paintwork look quite good even though I say it myself

your painting made it mate...……...an excellent job making a half cocked build look better...………..sorry I didn't say so earlier, but I just shut down after I'd finished and sat back doing sod all. .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11