TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 pm

after the problem with the speedline jet, and the fact that it is my birthday today, I wanted something to do that wasn't too taxing on the older brain cells than they were on Friday, lo...….

so I put the arms onto the figurines I have made, and then filled the gaps with milliput white...……..next will be painting them. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8536

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8537

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8538

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8539
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

they look a little like small aliens at the moment.....they've been sprayed with filler primer to give a good key to the yellow I have chosen nearest to the dry immersion suits that the crew wear, and then I painted their faces with humbrol Maskol……….a rubberised paint on masking that dries pretty quickly and can then be peeled off when I need to paint their faces...…..don't want too many coats of paint on them to hide the detailing.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8540

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8541
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 2:17 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 7:15 pm

a less shaky hand with no arthritis will make a better job of painting them, and they do need touching up on the yellow with a needle point brush which I've just paid a tenner for at my local art shop, and the fleshy bits of hands and face need painting but they are getting there.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8542
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 am

apart from the two sizes and colours depicting them as RNLI crew, which goes on the life jackets and helmets, which I am taking to a vinyl printers tomorrow the figures are finished and apart from my ropey shaky painting, and they haven't come out too badly. 

they'll look ok from 50' and 25 knots, lol...…….

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8543

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8544

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8545
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 2:02 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Their a tad big to crew that little boat with piggy Neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 10:29 am

he's the best lifeboat coxs'n you could ever wish for matey...…….never ever leaves his post, lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 10:38 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 5:12 pm

the crew finished, and their first job was to take out an old classic lifeboat for a shakedown before a classic lifeboat rally. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8510

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8511

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8512
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Nice job Neil. Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Cheers matey......….i'm even tempted to take em for a sail tonight, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm

its a while since I did anything on the Shannon boats for one reason or another but today on seeing another build taking shape I thought i'd better get my assienda off the chair and do something I have been putting off....that is to start building the flying bridges of both boats on to the aft end of the cabins.

the Speedline boat will be easy but the models by design boat will be much harder and also more time consuming because all of the panels will have to be fabricated from plasticard, and then detailed with plasticard and brass to the same configuration and design using the Speedline model as a guide.

I began by drilling the areas out with a 2mm bit, and then reaming out with the side of the drill bit.

And then, I glued on the pre drilled deck to the hull of the MBD boat and clamped ,taped and weighted it down to set......for this I used 30minute setting 2 part epoxy to give a better grip.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8610

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8611

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8612

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8613

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8614

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8615

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8616

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8617

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8618

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8619
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 am

Its very good of you to have waited until I got back from holiday before continuing this build Neil lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm

barriew wrote:
Its very good of you to have waited until I got back from holiday before continuing this build Neil lol! lol! lol!

Barrie

was my pleasure Barrie………..hope you enjoyed your cruise...……...something different from the usual Caribbean and similar...…..I'll bet the scenery was beautiful. 

so the next bit is just for you......accessibility ..

I have likened to the fact that the Speedline model has a removable deck and therefore accessibility to the jets, motors and such are a doddle, but with the MBD model, the deck is fixed with only the "hole" left by the superstructure is accessible for if anything goes wrong with the jets or motors.

And so I decided to cut an access hatch into the deck immediately behind the raised combing of the superstructure location.  The new hole will have a waterproof hatch cover to cover it and this will sit under the rear flying bridge structure, and hidden from all but the most prying of rivet counters eyes.it will blend in well with the texture paint to be applied to the whole of the deck, but when lifted will give ample access to the jets.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8620

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8621

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8622

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8623

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8624

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8625
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 pm

today an early start to strengthen what I feel is a flimsy deck for my liking......like a nice beafy boat that will take a knock or two, and so an going to put a couple of cross beams into the structure.

but immediately noticeable is a sagging in the rear deck just behind the access hatch I cut. so both incorporating the supports for my  waterproof deck hatch I run a cross member below the aft edge of the hatch and bolstered it up temporarily  with a piece of MDF  to take out the sagging in the middle of the deck...…..if once I take off the cramps when the epoxy has set, there is still a sagging, i'll put in a support permanently.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8626

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8627

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8628

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8629
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 6:48 pm

the surrounding "lip" to support the new hatch as been glued in to the inside of the recess and cleaned up.

a new hatch was then cut from the piece cut out from the deck superstructure access that is now waste, and fitted carefully to size. it will eventually have a reverse combing facing downwards glued onto the bottom of the new hatch...…..to make a fitting to slide into the support surround of the hatch recess, making a watertight seal under the hatch, but I cannot fit this combing until I make the superstructure fit perfectly and glued onto the hatch to keep it from moving  in a lateral plane.

finally I temporarily fit the jets with blue tack so that I could position the holes for the reversing bucket snakes.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8710

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8711

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8712

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8713

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8714

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8715

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8716

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8717

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8630

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8718
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 2:55 am

Neil asked me earlier if I have been following this double build.The short answer is not for the last few days as I have been fundraising,for the RNLI,and cooking myself in the sun in doing so.My nose and forehead,despite copious applications of factor 50 sunscreen,resemble a cross between a blanched tomato,with the skin partly peellng off,and a piece of pork crackling.However the three day total of 26 hours,resulted in £555.43.Margaret and I are a bit pleased with that!
A little while ago,I said that I was not going to comment further on some posts,because of some remarks that did at the time upset me greatly,but i decided,hell my alternative nom de plume is Rottweiler,so Im back,with hopefully less of the agression previously given and received.
However I must say,this build,by my great friend,leaves me lost for words.There are so many superlatives that could be used,that really dont sum up my feelings.As most now know,Neil is doing this for me,the same as my other good friend Gribeuval,aka Mike Pendlebury is doing with a model of the Severn Class the Will. My emotions are still very much very high,when I just think that these two wonderful modellers (which I am not in any way or form)are dong these builds for me.They both make things look so simple and easy,and both are helping other modellers overcome their problems,by dealing with any obstacle that comes up, with what seems to them so simple a solution.
With each stage of the builds moving on towards completion,I am really so amazed and remain so grateful.I will even make a solemn promie to learn how to steer these rather fast models,hopefully without bumping into anything.
Thank you BOTH from the very bottom of my heart,(yes I do have one honest!)
I will shut up now and let you master builders get on with what you do in a top class way.
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am

ahhh, you are so sweet, matey...………its a pleasure, lol...…..you keep collecting for the noble cause mate...……….I'll still keep building. 2thumbsup

mind you the rest of the build will be much slower as almost everything else will have to be scratch built so will be now switching to the Speedline model to build.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 3:47 pm

He doesn't half lay it on thick Neil!!

We are building the boats anyway. lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 4:12 pm

he does that mate...…..think he's expecting a Shannon...…..I'll give him a 21 instead, lol. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Specialbuilder
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you do crews for 1/16th scale and if you can supply nude or nearly so (ie no bulky clothes).  I need some 1/16th scale crew members for my Crash tender and then a couple for my Victorian cutter and projected Norfolk Wherry.  So all around 4 1/2" tall in no very particular pose. I can modify and dress them accordingly and you'd be welcome to mould them and cast them for your own use, once I have a set.

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 12:39 am

sorry martin only 1.12 to fit my lifeboats, but if you google MOUNTFLEET MODELS, you will find a good variety on his site at 1;16 scale.
Back to top Go down
Specialbuilder
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am

Neil, no mention of crew figures on his site. Very high quality mouldings and white metal though, if that's the kind of ship you're into.

So, still looking. I may have to make them myself, but moulding and casting?  Yuchh!

Martin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 am

he might not have put them on yet martin but he does do them......I produced 3 sets of 1;12 lifeboat figures or him, but he bought in an expansion of his business the 1;16 and 1;24 and 1;32 figures that a guy called Adrian clutteruck used to sell...……….give him a phone call and tell him nei from Fleetwood put you on to him...he's a nice chap and very amenable.
Back to top Go down
Specialbuilder
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am

OK, Neil, thanks.  I think I've heard of Adrian's models.
I tend to find that too many model figures have an almost cartoonish look about them. I'm not looking for Hobbits to crew my Crash tender, or Weirdos from the wood on Vanity, furry footed elves skippering a wherry. You know the sort of thing, where heads are twice the size of shoulders and hands are like plates of meat!

I'll try a phone call.
Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down
Specialbuilder
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 11:15 am

Just checked Adrian's website, but he does very few figures in 1/16th scale and I can't say I liked them much. They are also a frightening price!
I will have to make some patterns. I have a chum who moulds and casts slot car shells, so I'm sure he can do people.

Watch this space.

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Specialbuilder wrote:
Just checked Adrian's website, but he does very few figures in 1/16th scale and I can't say I liked them much. They are also a frightening price!
I will have to make some patterns. I have a chum who moulds and casts slot car shells, so I'm sure he can do people.

Watch this space.

Cheers,
Martin
no martin, Adrian doesn't do them anymore...…..he sold all his moulds to mountfleet models......it is they who sell them .

now back to my build.

I like building kits from now and then, as you can learn how other people do them, for ease of others to follow and build.....

but even when building a kit, I can make a huge cockup, but then you wouldn't learn if you didn't.

and its no good blaming the manufacturer...…..being a kit designer myself...…. you design them for idiots beginners and those of few tools or little confidence to build….but you never are able to facilitate someone who is a bigger idiot than you can image. I.e. me!!!

I cut the aft end of the cabin that takes the rear 3D printed …..so have had to fill it with a piece of plastic, a section of the grp cabin that was cut out, some epoxy and then some polyester filler...….but it is a great kit, needing some thought not a blundering numpty with size 10s wading in.

the battery was used to make sure the area glued correctly.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8810

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8811
Back to top Go down
Specialbuilder
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Neil, I knew he'd sold out, but figured the easy way to see his stuff would be to see if his website was still open. It is and I wasn't impressed.  Whilst I have done a lot of figure patterns over the years, 1/32nd scale was the biggest. Now I have to do twice that size!  Damn, that's a lot of Milliput!  I might even have to buy some more!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Martin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 pm

and again, back to the build...….the rest of the parts of the main flying bridge structure have been either glues in place or dry fitted by sanding to fit...obviously each person will find their own level of accuracy here a there are no serious plans available to give a fixture angle, but using a metalworkers set of try squares one can gauge pretty accurately what position and angle each part should fit into, and just light sanding is needed to make them fit. 

tomorrow the grp moulding will be given a final sanding so that the top side covers supplied as mouldings will be ground dous to take the "lip" off the top and then the rest of the structure will be fitted. 

And believe it or not apart from the silver soldering of rails, pulpit etc and making the radar tree, this part is the major part of the "building" done. But I've had enough for tonight, my usual reaction to cyano [superglue]  has taken effect and I am now full of the symptoms of a summer cold....cough, sneezing, runny nose, etc so I've had enough for tonight.

the fiddly bits come next!..all the small bits.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8812

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8813

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8814

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8815

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8816

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8817
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 am

hi neil ,

what thickness is all that cabin, as it looks very strong and not flimsy as some I have seen. the detail looks exceptional to me. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 am

The cabin grp moulding davit is actually quite flimsy at less than 1.5 mm in parts but the 3D printed stuff ranges from 3mm to 6mm thick in parts so really stiffens the structure up.......but the main beauty of the speediness boat over the MBA boat is that the superstructure is glued and fixed to the deck and the whole deck and cabin come off the hull as one piece giving total access to the inside of the boat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 9:58 pm

the flying bridge has now been finally glued together, needs a little filler here and there which is no big deal as unless you are a miracle worker, every boat needs a little grey paste, lol

and then I can concentrate on the cut outs and recesses for more fittings...….and more filler, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8818

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8819

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8820
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 pm

then the holes for the various recesses were drilled and filed to size and shape....they were then mated up with the respective fittings and these were glued in place. they will be back filled tomorrow to make sure they don't pop out and then filled from the front tomorrow. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8827

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8828

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8829
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 12:37 pm

now filled from behind to give strength and permanence to the recesses , so they don't drop out.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8910

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8911
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 pm

small things now being added are now helping to make the boat the item she is.

this is the bow roller fairlead which was added and fitted into the cut out from the deck, and will be a part of the deck which lifts off.it has been glued and back filled with body filler for extra support and strength,

it is a 3D printed part which, apart from the nickel silver and brass parts supplied is only one of many 3D printed parts involved in the kit. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8912

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8913

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8914

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8915

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8916

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8917
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 pm

today was the turn for work at the other end...…...the skeg protector that helps protect the jets and buckets...….a straight forward fit...cutting an access hole into the stern of the hull and the keel, inserting the skeg, pinning it with a 2mm brass pin and setting in place with epoxy.

then onto the two support stiffening rods.....and these fit into a slot in the skeg, and the face plates that fit onto the transom are drilled in the four corners and then pinned with steel picture frame pins, and glued in place with epoxy again. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8918

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8919

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8920

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8921

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8922

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8923

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8924

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8925

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8926

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8927

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8928

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8929
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 am

Coming together nicely Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am

SLOWLY AND SURELY, and contrary to what others are trying to do, moan constantly and turn it into a supakit by replacing loads with their ownbrass uprated stuff........I shall be building it "from the box"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Rear spray rails have now been filled in to the hull with surface filler and just waiting for that to harden before I sand smooth.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8930

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8931
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm

and now sanded...….it's now on to fabricating the ails fore and aft plus the grab rails along the cabin sides...….these will be silver soldered together. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8932
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 am

started what I think is an enjoyable job...……...silver soldering....

I have started to fabricate the bow and stern pulpit and guard rails from brazing rod, the brass stern piece inserted into the stern is a brass casting which comes with the kit and is the base on which the stern rails mate up to and are secured by soldering. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8933

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8934

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8935
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 pm

cabin fore deck guard rails now been bent to positions as per photos and plans available.....the supporting legs will be added by silver soldering after the weekend.....………..a uni anniversary reunion beckons from tomorrow morning, and so won't be back till late Sunday, unless my luck changes, and then it'll be later lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8936

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8937
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 6:06 pm

haven't done anything for ages, but got down to some today, by starting to sort them all out for the 2 boats, and then started on the easy parts to silver solder...…..the hand grab rails on the maid superstructure.....might do some more tonight.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0110

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0111

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0112

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0113

more to do over the next day or two

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0114
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

pulpit and front cabin guard rails now soldered up......….only the stern and quarter rails to solder up. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0115

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0116

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0117
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 12:20 am

nhp651 wrote:
pulpit and front cabin guard rails now soldered up......….only the stern and quarter rails to solder up. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0115

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0116

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_0117

Wow,I would have some serious burnt fingers and thumbs if I even tried to do that!

Looking very neat indeed Neil. Glad to see the build making further progress after your summer break lol
Mick F
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 am

nhp651 wrote:
Time to fit the main induction tunnel bodies.

now comes the tricky bit.....the floor of the hull and the rear transom plate where the two parts of the tunnel body fit, are not at right angles to each other, where as the end plate and the intakes are on the actual jets are..........

so I made a surrounding plate 2.5mm thick out of plasticard to go around the intake. This is to give some purchase to the glue where one end sticks above the actual grp hull.

I also dispensed with the plasticard  gaskets supplied with the kit, in favour of proper repellent gasket material and gasket glue [ahh, remembrance of the times I replaced cylinder head gaskets on my rocket gold star and other old brit bikes, lol]. I did this because the gasket material and glue will contour to the unevenness of the grp whereas a plastic gasket won't.

and so it was.....fit the gaskets were fitted with gasket glue both sides, and 5 minute epoxy laid onto the flange and working quickly I got one and then the other glued in and bolted up ready to set in position.

on the last shot you can see how even the best of hulls and layers can get one more even thickness than the other........not a problem and unless you are spray laying  mould, there will always be slight irregularities in a lay up, and that is why just a few minutes pondering over a subject and the problems that might arise can be overcome without histrionics and cursing the manufacturer.......simple slight problem overcome easily.....

I have left the two jets setting until later when I can then fill in those gaps with filler.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8330

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8331

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8332

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8333

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8334

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8335

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8336

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Img_8337
Neil, Thanks for the pics. Proves a picture is worth a 1000 words. Very Happy Very Happy
I have one of those circular cutters but have only had minimal success using it. pale pale
I now see what I have been doing wrong. Glad I didn't bin the cutter Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 1:03 am

hi raarty……….I've always found them really useful little tools...……..got 3 of them somewhere lying around, and although I don't use them often well worth the outlay of a few quid, for just when you need something circular……….I've had success with them cutting up to 3mm thick plasticard with patience, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next