TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 pm

well, what can I say.....…...I have been ordered by my friend Stavros to get my friend mick French's Shannon's down to him in north wales for a spray job...…….so can't go against a friends orders under any circumstances...……...so am getting the basics on the hulls, decks and cabins ready for it....

attaching some of the permanent detailing such as the engine removal plating on the cabin top of the speedline Shannon attached...……….on that point I have scored the reverse side with a rough abrasive paper, and just wondering whether to use a contact evostick adhesive, or a longer setting 2 part epoxy for the job.

next I'll be drilling holes for the radio whip aerials, spot lights, wiring etc....I have got about 2 weeks to get it ready for paining...….then the trip down the lovely coast road of north wales to Bangor and then inland to Bethesda....should be a lovely day out.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1010

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1011

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1012

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1013
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 6:09 pm

I realised at some point recently that I had constructed the aft end of the cabin without really thinking of certain consequences ……...such as drilling the holes in the hinges for the main watertight door...…...before I glued the back wall in place and gluing the cabin back on to the deck..

so after a few minutes ponderance I thought ……"if I glued the drill bit into a length of brass tubing..." I could then hand drill the holes without the chuck of an electric drill chewing up any bits of bulkheads that got in the way.....………..and so this is what I did...….and my little bit of improvisation worked. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181212

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181213

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181214

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181215

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181216

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181217

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181218

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20181219
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: shannon Build   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm

nhp651 wrote:
well, what can I say.....…...I have been ordered by my friend Stavros to get my friend mick French's Shannon's down to him in north wales for a spray job...…….so can't go against a friends orders under any circumstances...……...so am getting the basics on the hulls, decks and cabins ready for it....

I have got about 2 weeks to get it ready for paining...….then the trip down the lovely coast road of north wales to Bangor and then inland to Bethesda....should be a lovely day out.

what can I say? what a wonderful gesture! Thank you so much Dave (Stavros) for offering to spray our Shannons. Its great to have good friends like yourself.You just take it easy though Matey,its early days yet and those slimy trouty things will still wait! lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
Quote :
like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1013

what can I say? what a wonderful gesture! Thank you so much Dave (Stavros) for offering to spray our Shannons. Its great to have good friends like yourself.You just take it easy though Matey,its early days yet and those slimy trouty things will still wait! lol.

aye, don't stop a man fly fishing Mick...…...that is like telling a man to give up rumpy pumpy or motorcycle riding...……...once in the blood...…….fly fishing is far more addictive than the hardest of drugs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm

and the final post tonight.……..I've glued the engine removal panels onto the the cabin roof...…..this was a nickle steel etched part in 3 sections, and after scoring the reverse, I set in place using a 30 minute setting ZAP epoxy adhesive.

but before this, I re-seated and glued in place the cabin to the deck. which is removeable in one piece thus aiding clear access to the mechanicals and electricals inside the boat hull, and this is on the Speedline models kit. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1014

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1015
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 am

ARGHHHHHHHHH stop me from fly fishing heavens above how you can QUICKLY GO OFF some people....Ill let you know my Consultant encouraged me to go....and guess WHO I bumped into at the fisherey I fish ...YUP IT WASA HIM......I did a double take...MMMM no wonder he said yes HE HE HE HE....Mind you the look on Kelly's face when he said Yes was a picture.....MMMMm Weds this week bring it on 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 1:50 pm

stavros wrote:
ARGHHHHHHHHH stop me from fly fishing heavens above how you can QUICKLY GO OFF some people....Ill let you know my Consultant encouraged me to go....and guess WHO I bumped into at the fisherey I fish ...YUP IT WASA HIM......I did a double take...MMMM no wonder he said yes HE HE HE HE....Mind you the look on Kelly's face when he said Yes was a picture.....MMMMm Weds this week bring it on 

Dave

most relaxing type of fishing I ever did, was fly fishing.....still got my two rods but everything else was stolen by some disreputable person I had the misfortune to have had the displeasure of knowing.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 3:17 pm

nhp651 wrote:
stavros wrote:

Dave

most relaxing type of fishing I ever did, was fly fishing.....still got my two rods but everything else was stolen by some disreputable person I had the misfortune to have had the displeasure of knowing.
Love my sea angling both from shore and boat, but sadly my health has not permitted me to go for a few years now. Climbing down rocks to the good spots is now a distant memory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 pm

time to experiment gently with putting the LED's into the spot/search lights.

they were drilled out both in the place where the wiring comes out of the rear of the lamp and also through the base brackey……...one lead will go through each, as not enough space through either one for 2 wires.. space was made inside the body of the light by reaming out waste resin using the good old dentist's tay…...the tooth grinder for grinding out old fillings and decayed tooth...……..I don't often use them, infact can't remember the last time I did use these handy little bits of equipment...…..but a friendly word with your orthodontist and they will gladly give you some...absolutely no need to spend a fortune on stuff that you'll only need once in a blue moon

in that way the man who wants everything can get there just a little faster, lol.

after I had reamed the back of the shell out, I drilled the base of the lamp to make sure that both wires fit properly, and then drilled for them to sit on the  fore part of the superstructure.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1016

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1017

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1018

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1019

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1020
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2019 1:49 pm

first pictures of the new year.

next little fitting...………..the MOB (Man Overboard) derrick...….all 3 D moulded...…

just drilled with a 0.5mm bit to locate rivets to site and hold the brackets whilst gluing in place eventually.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1021

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1022
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

another little fitting added temporarily, to be removed before painting...…  the slip recovery bracket on the stern transom.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20190112

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 20190113
Back to top Go down
borysne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

good day!
tell me what company water jets are installed
I found the kmb jet, but I can't find the Hamelton where to buy?
Tell me the seller's website? thank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 pm

If I am right in thinking here the Water jets that are supplied with the kit by Speedline Models and again if I am right Speedline have been given permission by Hamilton to use their logo on their jet drives.....you would have to contact Adrian of Speedline Model's and ask if he will sell you them separatly

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

borysne wrote:
good day!
tell me what company water jets are installed
I found the kmb jet, but I can't find the Hamelton where to buy?
Tell me the seller's website? thank

as Stavros says, the "Hamilton jets are produced by a company called Speedline models.....    

https://www.facebook.com/Flundle/     

https://www.modeljetdrives.com/

but whether he would sell them separately you would have to ask directly as the two jet drives come as part of a kit.

however models by design do a conversion kit as shown in my thread above to turn the KMB JETS into those with a round nozzle and a bucket similar to those on the Hamilton jet.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Models by design KMB adaptions to the water jets work very well.

you can even go sideways. Thumbup 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm

its back to the models by design Shannon for a brief moment that I am building for mick French...…

when at Blackpool show last October mick and I spoke to Andy Grigg about his reversing buckets to fit onto the KMB square nozzles that mick bought from eBay for a ridiculously low price [ where am I when these bargains go begging], and Andy sold Mick the converters to turn the square outlets into round ones so that round nozzles would fit, and also sold the grp moulded reversing buckets to fit on the nozzles...…….and I took them home with me.

a couple of days later mick rang me to say that Andy had redesigned those parts, and would send direct to me after Christmas.

I received them the other day, and but for a slight change in the profile of the nozzles they are identical.

however I have worked the buckets today from this to this, and have now two sets of buckets for in the eventuality that mick is a totally useless coxs'n and reverses his boat into a stone bank and breaks a bucket or two, ………...only joking mate...……

I'll just have to work out next how o attach the holding brackets for the buckets to the transom plate.

THESE ARE THE GRP BUCKETS, WITH THE NEW NOZZLES.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1110

This is the only difference between the two nozzles...….

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1111

and this is the reversing buckets after removing the excess fibre glass.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1112

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1113

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1114

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1115

and now like an adventurous young lad cleaning and polishing the inlet and exhaust ports on a BSA RGS, to get an extra 1bhp out of the bike, I shall dig out my dental burrs for the second time in about 10 years and ream out the outlet ports of the grp buckets on the jet drives to give a better flow of water.through them.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: shannon build   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 pm

in the eventuality that mick is a totally useless coxs'n and reverses his boat into a stone bank and breaks a bucket or two, ………...only joking mate...……

Hmm Its funny you say that Lol I A truer word could maybe never have been spoken!
A certain Mr Pendlebury,and a few others methinks are of the same opinion about my helmsmanship.but I do better on the real full sized lifeboats lol.
I do remember though,a certain gentleman,while using his model at the Blackpool show a couple of years ago,and wondering why he couldnt control it.It has been said he was watching and trying to control another of his models,which was being skilfully operated by A N Other,whilst the one the certain gentleman was operating,was in the corner of the pool trying to get out lol!
Let us just say,I pledge that we will certainly NOT be operating two fast models in close proximity to each other lol
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 pm

I  got a perfectly good explanation for that...…….there was a fine looking lass on the other side of the pool giving me the wink.....and I got confused...

what!!! you didn't see her...……...no wonder, you were too busy trying to get yer lifeboat out the way of a nutter. drunken drunken  lol! 

well back to the jets...…

a little brain teasing, but i'm getting there...…..slight modifications to the nozzle and converter flanges...they were binding upon each other when turning left/right.……..so I sanded a slight bevel on the inside rear of the nozzle all round...…….only slight sanding was needed, and then on the rear raised rim of the converter flange I sanded it also for a slight bevel...……...perfection and no binding at all...….so no strain upon the servo/arm.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1116

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1117

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1118

so then it was on to cleaning the buckets up inside an around the inside of the jets to give a good uninterrupted flow of water to the reversing jet holes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

for cleaning up the grp mouldings...………..no expense spared...…..I used one of my small drills, and first used the dentists burrs to clean out the rough stuff and the ridges that would interrupt the flow quite considerably.

then I took a succession of grit burrs from my original set of minicraft burrs and drill that I bought 30 years ago and slowly cleaned up the dents and bumps, plus unifying the size of the holes with one final burr.

checking these against the Speedline jet, they are roughly 15% smaller, and so, will probably stop the boat quicker, as there will be a greater venture force coming out of the jets than on the Speedline jets...………

there ya go Mick...…..you are safe to be let loose with it...……..it'll stop just as fast as it goes...…………….knowing my luck about half a knott, lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1121

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1119

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1120

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1122

but then, offering up the reversing bucket, I found that the small reset in the top of the rear side of the bucket isn't large enough for the bucket to clear the nozzle and so this has been enlarged on one bucket only, until I get the right compromise...….also I slightly sanded away the small rim at the rear and under side of the bucket.

this is a trial and error exercise which is most enjoyable.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1123

spot the difference

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1124
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

disaster has struck...….……..and I've chopped the wrong bits off...……………….oh bummer...…….

will reveal more when I have studied the photos that I have received and rectified my huge cock up. ………

where would life be though if you had no cock ups to learn from or own up to,hehehe....……….ego would take over, and you'd become as boring and pious as hell...…...just like some I know...……………..from  other forums,  that is. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

and before any of you smart asciendas say anything like you should have known better being a wood and metal work teacher...……..

yeh I know...….measure twice,...….or in my case as I'm so forgetful 6 times......cut once

more haste less speed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 am

The price of ageing is not something we're taught to expect Matie. Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Damien wrote:
The price of ageing is not something we're taught to expect Matie. Sad Sad Sad Sad

and isn't it a real beach when you can't stop aching and doing stupid things, lol...……………..

I've just been playing with our pooch and her squeaky ball....she knocked it under the pooter desk and so I got down onto my knees and then on my belly to fish it out...……...it was so comfy on the floor I just lay there whilst I watched 12- 0 clock high on the tv...……

she got really stressed thinking I was hurt and came licking my face as though she wanted to make me feel better...…….NOW!!! that's old age mate when your little dog thinks you are unwell because you choose to lie on the floor for a few minutes...…..

and she is fine now I'm sat on my chair...…..life is strange.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 5:56 pm

FOR ANY OF YOU THAT ARE BUILDING A SHANNON FROM MBD [Models by Design], but like me fell foul of having no diagrams or photos of the buckets and nozzles that Andy has developed...…..here they are.

they might have been published on the members only facebook Shannon page, but I haven't a clue./…...so here the buckets and nozzles are...…….courtesy of Andy Grigg, via mick French.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 A_jet_10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Andy_s10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Andy_s11

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Andy_s12

and as you can see, considerably different to the cock up that I made of the first one cut...…...in fact all four that I cut wrongly.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1125

i.e...……...I cut the legs off and cut the top of the bucket away...…….duuurrrrrhhh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm

so!!!...….I decided to show that modelling isn't about spending more money after bad, and ringing up to buy two new ones...…...I would rectify the matter.

Firstly I recovered the top of the bucket with two layers of 0.8mm plasticard, and using super strength cyano, clamped them up and left to set overnight.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1126

then I filled in the gaps after trimming the plasticard to shape with milliput white...…….the harder and more sandable of the milliput range- and smoothed into the gaps both inside and outside the bucket,with fingers dampened with cold water. 

this I left to cure and set on a radiator overnight.

once set, I began to replace the "legs" that I had chopped off earlier. for this I used some 1.25mm plasticard that the interior vac forming of the cabin is made from...…….I got some out of Adrian's skip 18 months ago when I went to pick the two models up.

I cut, shaped and drilled the part that was to be glued into the grp bucket, so that the drill holes would act as an anchor between the grp and the plastic, and after roughing up the plasticard, I glued the two together with 30minute setting ZAP epoxy...…..I repeated the process with the other 3 "legs", and clamped up...………...I left these to set for 12 hours or more...

once set, today I put triangular fillets in to mould around the shape of the bucket  outlets

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1127

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1128

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1129

and tonight i'll mix a little more milliput and reinforce from the inside
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 pm

I think you and me are made from the same mold,as soon as we basically bugger up, we go into self preservation mode and ALWAYS figure out a way forward...I think it is called lateral thinking or is it a case of sod this I ain't giving up....BRILLIANT recovery m8 top modeling

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 pm

stavros wrote:
I think you and me are made from the same mold,as soon as we basically bugger up, we go into self preservation mode and ALWAYS figure out a way forward...I think it is called lateral thinking or is it a case of sod this I ain't giving up....BRILLIANT recovery m8 top modeling

Dave
it's both those mate......plus the fact that I aint going to be beaten by an inanimate object and I ain't a quitter...….plus the fact that i'm a tight ass that believes that money isn't always the solution, and my brain is better than that...……….having said the latter I shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place, but you learn from your mistakes, and if I can save one person from making the same by publishing mine...……...then we as modellers will benefit from such cock ups.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 am

That's why my builds are warts and all, to help others with my 46yrs experience and to attempt to shame myself to not stuff up again unfortunately as I age they're more frequent and the older I get the worse the muck ups get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Damien wrote:
That's why my builds are warts and all, to help others with my 46yrs experience and to attempt to shame myself to not stuff up again unfortunately as I age they're more frequent and the older I get the worse the muck ups get.

when I was much younger, they came with great frequency because I had little experience.....

now that I am older it is because of lack of concentration and fading memory...…….

I just wonder where and when I hit my peak...…………...is it time to give up, lol...………

or do I now believe in the old saying...……….."I've forgotten more than some will ever know"...……. lol! lol! drunken drunken Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

the buckets have now been repaired, filled and shaped...…..ready for now fitting and drilling ready for the fixings to join legs to brackets.

this will need concentration...….plus space.....

and seeing as I have now sent the old Barnett partly built model to a friend in Bavaria, as he wanted another classic lifeboat to build, it has gone to a good home, I have space back, lol...…..it was taking up quite a bit of room lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1135

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1130

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1131

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1132

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1133

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1134
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 pm

fitted the buckets temporarily last night to make sure I got clearance...……..must admit, they have a little more clearance to the nozzles than the speedline jets do...………..but until they have been tested...…….which won't be for a while, as I am confident in my own ability...……… I reckon that they will operate with full capacity...…….and actually allow for any distortion...….so about 2.5 - 3mm clearance between bucket and nozzle will be fine.

I have now fitted the control rod ball joints to the four items...……

the greatest ponderance now, is whether to leave them pink to conform with Micks' feminine side, or paint them to blend in...……..your choice guys. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1210

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1211

oh yes...……….and I forgot to take photos of the buckets fitted, so will do that once the boat has been painted and I've fitted them again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: COMMETH THE CRUNCH TIME   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 1:31 pm

have started "plumbing in" the control rods for the jet nozzles and the buckets, now that I know everything clears everything...…………..am using aeroplane nylon rods and tubes.

made the support brackets from 3mm abs plastic and screwed them up to some cross beams, and with the extra access to the hull, easy to do.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1212

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1213
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 pm

this morning, I decided to bring my speedline model up to the same station as micks MBD boat and start fitting the control rods for the jets...…….I marked the positions for the rods to pass through the transom and drilled with a pilot drill bit.

next was to get out the servo fitting boxes that I duplicated from the MBD boat in plasticard some months ago!...……

way out in my design and construction...…..there was no way for them to work, and so some drastic redesigning was needed.

first job was to bring the servos nearer to the point where the control rod passes through the transom for the reversing buckets, and so I made two servo boxes from plasticard……...nothing fancy...…...just used 2mm thich stuff with a woden base approximately 5mm thick, and a box height to raise the servo so that the arm was on the same height as the hole for the link rod......30 minutes work..all material in stock, nothing bought..…..holes will be drilled in the wooden base to act as an anchor and the boxes will be set in place either with car body filler or epoxy...…...haven't decided yet.

picture below shows the new boxes along side the jet bodies and the now defunct twin servo holders that will be converted...….waste not want not.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1214

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1215

and then it was on to the twin holders and a conversion. any normal person would have just made new ones like those I made earlier...…...30 minutes max....………….no I decided to spend about 3 hours converting the old twin boxes to singles, and still using the 2mm plasticard to bolster up the old stuff...…...must be mad but I enjoyed the exercise. and they were also raised so that the connecting rods had a straighter run to the transom exits than the original ones had......i'll glue them in later.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1216

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1217

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1218

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1219

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1220

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1221

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1222

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1223
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 6:03 pm

what a blunder.

I have only just realised that I have hijacked Zetec's thread with my own build...…….

I am so sorry ……………....I shall resume on my own thread as soon as I have something to post in the next day or so..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm

I would like to apologise to ZETEC for mistakenly using his thread FROM NOVEMBER 30th, 2018 - 21st JANUARY,to post my own, and mick French's Shannon builds on another thread. 

I mistakenly confused matters and placed the build on ZETEC's SHANNON BUILD.

Should you wish to catch up I will continue the build on here.

thank you for your interest, and putting up with this stupid doddering old fool who doesn't even know what day it was tomorrow,  drunken confused lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 7:28 pm

HE HE HE HE Told you so a few weeks ago HA HA HA HA....it's Called OLD AGE M8

Dave............now in hiding
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 12:01 am

No Problem.

Zetec
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 12:03 am

old age my backside....…...its having two daughters 19 and 21 still living with me...…….I just can't think straight, lol...……...your turns will come guys...…….that's if you ain't already past it, lol. lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am

zetec wrote:
No Problem.

Zetec
are you sure kind friend.

will save aron a big job. ….thanks.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: bla.....   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 2:20 am

He's not old Stav, he just looks that way
Mind you you wouldn't believe it if he told you is real age. 
Just watch him, his Grecian 2000 will come out soon  lol! lol! lol! clown
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 2:42 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
He's not old Stav, he just looks that way
Mind you you wouldn't believe it if he told you is real age. 
Just watch him, his Grecian 2000 will come out soon  lol! lol! lol! clown
Mick F
this hair of mine, which I am proud of, hasn't even seen brilcream since I was 11, lol...…….never mind hair colour...…...it only sees the barber twice a year afro 

at least I've got some than a lovely lady can run her fingers through  Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Now for the connecters to the jets...….one long one, one shorter to fit to the servos that I have positioned in the last set of photos.

I also bought some water resistant rubber bellows from RC YACHTS, of Swanley Kent...….ordered them late Thursday aqfternoon, and they arrived this morning....…..brilliant service.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1224

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1225

I had to ream out the lower hole in the flange of the jet to 8mm dia. to accommodate the end of the bellows, but no other problem.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1226

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1227

the reverse of the flange showing the bellows now secured from the flange side.....these two raised parts of the rubber will seat into a countersunk area on the hull. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1228

I used small 2mm nuts, glued on to the ends of the rod linkages with strong cyano to captivate the rods to stop them from becoming uncoupled. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1229
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 8:58 pm

The second part to fitting the jet outlets to the transom was to make sure that the flanges would fit flush, knowing that there was now an intrusion to prevent this...…...the inner ends of the rubber bellows.

so I decided to  countersink the holes that the push rods go through to enable the rubber bellows to sit into the countersunk apertures.

KNOWING from long experience picked up only with trial, error cockups and following repairs when a large drill bit grabs chips and rips open grp when using an electric drill with anything over a 5mm bit, and needing to countersink with an 8mm bit I decided NOT  to use an electric drill, as I could see the drill and bit going straight through the hull.

I had to take this very easy, a few turns at a time.

and so, I took my drill chuck from the lathe, and mounting the 8 mm bit into it, I let the chuck take the weight at over a kilo, and use its' weight only and guided by hand, to ream out a countersink in the hull...….

perfect results were produced with equal depth countersinks , and I could then, fit the outer jets perfectly, and flush to the transom faceplates. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1230

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1231

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1232

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1233

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1234

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1235

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1236
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi Neil,
Am I right in thinking these bellows will be filled with grease of some sort,to stop any water ingress,like a prop shaft really,and if so is there any means of re packing them at a later date should the need arise 
Just wondering
Thanks,Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 1:15 am

battleshipbuff wrote:
Hi Neil,
Am I right in thinking these bellows will be filled with grease of some sort,to stop any water ingress,like a prop shaft really,and if so is there any means of re packing them at a later date should the need arise 
Just wondering
Thanks,Mick F

yes that's correct mick.……...but they won't be used on your model as I'm using model aeroplane nylon snakes for your links.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm

oh I do like the crispness of plasticard…….

45 minutes work this morning had the titanium skid plates [for carriage use] and the bow hauling strops guide copied in plasticard from the original fittings measurements. I will be fitting these this afternoon to both boats......originals to mine, and the plasticard ones to my friend Micks MBD boat.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1237

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1238
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 5:39 pm

and the first set of troughs for rope leads up the stem post have been added to my speedline boat...…….because there was a flange on the rear gluing face, I cut an elongated hole into the stem post using a drill and then reaming out between holes to give a "straight" line to slot the flange into.

I used 30 minute epoxy to set in place and from the inside put a good dollop of the same epoxy to make watertight from the inside. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1239

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1240

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1241

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1242

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1243
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:40 pm

and tonight I've put the trim tabs together, using nylon aero snakes as the hinge, rather than nuts/bolts, as they would rusty and lock up over a period of time. the snakes are locked on using small 2mm ss nuts that self tapped onto the nylon snakes...….I also got out, cleaned up and drilled the "hydraulic" rams for the trim tabs and will temporarily fit them before the hull goes for painting.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1244

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1245

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Img_1246
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:11 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next