TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pilot Boat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TonyW
Gunner
Gunner
TonyW

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi there one, and all. I'm afraid the Pilot boat is on hold at the moment after having developed an electrical fault, and i'm going to redesign the hull because it was a bit too top heavy inspite of a HUGE 12volt battery, and over two pounds of lead. I can't understand why it's top heavy, the only thing i can think of the cabin was too heavy but it's as light as a feather so i'm going to redesign it with a more shallow draught. When Andy pulled the plug on the old forum Rolling Eyes i was about to post some pictures up of the boat what i did so far, i dont see any any harm in posting them up now.On the fourth image you can see the radar working.
Pilot Boat Sam_0122
Pilot Boat Sam_0123
Pilot Boat Sam_0124
Pilot Boat Sam_0125
Pilot Boat Sam_0126
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

There is a lot of superstructure Tony, is it made out of wood, perhaps you could rebuild it out of something lighter and just sail it in calm weather

Alan
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Tony,

I remember following this build on the other site, what glue did you use to stick the foam board with?

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
TonyW
Gunner
Gunner
TonyW

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Alanp it's made from Foam board or Kappa board, and it is light believe me. I discovered why it's top heavy, it's because i had two battery holders in the cabin. I didn't think they would make that much difference but now i have to relocate them into the hull, Simples.

Jimmy This is the stuff i used to glue the foam board but as i said you have to be careful it with according to temperature it don't react to well to cold, and you can get it from poundland, so it's pretty cheap for a large tube but if you want to use something that you feel comforable with feel free, it is of a consistancy that most glues stick but NOT SOLVENT BASED GLUES or you will melt the foam. I hoped that helps.
Pilot Boat 151_ha12
Back to top Go down
TonyW
Gunner
Gunner
TonyW

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:14 am

I've ripped all the old hull off, and i'm going to rebuild it using 1/16 medium balsa. I'm going to double plank it then coat it with 5-6 coats of varnish, then paint it, and another 5-6 coats of varnish so it's watertight. That's where i made the mistake last time by priming it, painting it, then varnishing it. I will put more ribs in then stringers, i don't know what i was thinking of. I am NOT going to let it beat me.
Pilot Boat Sam_0127
Back to top Go down
jimmy2310
Gunner
Gunner
jimmy2310

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Tony,

I thought I remembered hard as nails I just wanted to make sure.

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pilot Boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat   Pilot Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

Pilot Boat
Page 1 of 1