TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Polish Pilot Boat

Go down 
+2
troutrunner
barriew
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 pm

a superb little ship. she is looking great.

I really must get off my arse and do some to the ferry.
........... neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 am

I've been working on the details so no posts for a day or two, but here is the latest update.

photo 100_1109_zps67zmefe4.jpg
In addition to the superstructures, the hull bottom has had its first coat of paint. This was brushed as the weather is not conducive to spraying  Laughing

photo 100_1110_zps8tncedww.jpg

In addition, the mast has been shaped and stained and I also rubbed some stain into the deck.
Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 1:51 pm

The bottom of the hull has had its second coat and the masking tape removed. There were a few places where this tape didn't stop the paint seeping, despite it being marketed as having a special paint stop coating  Sad
 photo 100_1112_zps3ufbbsee.jpg
A little judicious scraping with a scalpel blade has cleaned it up  Very Happy
 photo 100_1114_zpsdskkrd3l.jpg
The hull has had one coat of Humbrol Satin Coat and will probably get another. The two superstructures have also been varnished. Some of the detail has been added, and a list of items still required produced. I do have some bollards which I bought earlier after measuring the drawing, but they look too big, so I will order some smaller ones, but this will have to wait as I go on holiday on Sunday. Very Happy Very Happy

Unseen, but I spent a long time connecting the servo to the rudder - not a lot of room for my big fingers  Shocked I also fitted a collet to the inboard end of the prop shaft as I'm using a flexible rubber coupling, and the motor is now ready for fixing. I think the major work remaining is concerned with the mast. It has a radio aerial extension, two lights to fit and the rigging still to be made. I also have to decide if I am going to fit an anchor which means drilling a hole in the bow blocks which are balsa and may not drill cleanly, so I haven't decided yet - I may just leave it on deck.
Of course. the other big job is to make and install the railings - there are quite a lot of them Rolling Eyes

Barrie

photo 100_1117_zpsqu4pcmth.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 6:13 am

What a delightful model congratulations Barrie 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks Damien. I have added and painted some of the railings, made the light boxes and painted the lamps since the last photo. Off on hols now and will finish her when I return. 
I generally go for something a bit different, and am very pleased with how this one looks. I am toying with the stand-off TS Earnslaw from the Feb model boats, but would probably reduce it to 75%, to bring it nearer my 500 mm ideal. I figure that would make it 1/96 so still plenty of plastic figures available.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm back - after a short holiday in Spain and the subsequent cold/cough picked up at the hotel  Mad Mad 
As soon as I returned I ordered the final batch of parts required to finish this model, and they have sat in the workshop for a week until today. Most have been painted and quite a few fitted. The main jobs remaining are more railings and the mast. The mast is still giving me problems as it has quite a bit of rigging, but I really need to be able to remove the forward superstructure into which the mats mounts  Shocked.
At least I am back modelling Thumbup

Barrie
 photo 100_1123_zpsbuf6z5ha.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 11:19 am

Welcome back Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks Damien! I tackled the remaining railings today. There is still some work to do to tidy up the soldering, but they look reasonably even.

photo 100_1127_zpsymhmflgb.jpg

I have also been working on the rigging - and I remembered why I don't build galleons Rolling Eyes This is what I've got so far. I think I can make it look respectable when its fitted to the boat - I hope so. I'm thinking of using hairspray to try to keep things in line. Shocked

photo 100_1128_zpsclooolub.jpg

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 am

looking good Barrie 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Almost there! I tidied up the railings and painted them. I also decided that I would never be satisfied with the rigging, so I have simplified it. I couldn't really see the point of the ratlines as there is no sail, and they wouldn't have allowed access to the mast lights and aerial. I need to cut some vinyl names and a couple more fittings to attach. I also have to make the fenders for bow and stern. These are made from rolled netting and supplied is white nylon netting which I don't think will be easy to change to brown or black, so I need to search out some alternative.
I need to get the test tank out so I can see how much ballast is required. I'm also a little worried I have got the water line wrong at the bows, so need to see how it floats.

Barrie

photo DSCN0009_zpst7jebhru.jpg
 photo DSCN0011_zpst5r6uqwf.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 9:44 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup   Outstanding Barrie  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks Damien. Final pictures now until she goes on the water. Lettering applied and bow and stern fenders made. The supplied mesh was white, but I found some brown in my spares box and used that. Its a little softer than that supplied, but I think it looks OK.
I still have to sort out the ballast and complete the electrical installation but its too cold today to set up the test tank outside. I might have known it would be cold today - its the Club's "Venetian Night", and its always miserable, but the clocks alter soon, so this is the last chance.

Barrie

photo DSCN0012_zpsh2v37mum.jpg  photo DSCN0013_zps8b3tzxbp.jpg  photo DSCN0014_zpshgdcqpii.jpg
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 pm

looks really well in all white, wasn't sure at first but it is very nice  with brass port holes. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks David. I just followed the example on the box lid, but thought it looked quite smart.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polish Pilot Boat   Polish Pilot Boat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Polish Pilot Boat
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2