TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shannon Build

Go down 
+3
Roadrunner
troutrunner
zetec
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 am

Hi I have just joined and some of you will know me as MK1 on the other site. Had the Shannon plans just over 3 weeks ago and have been hard at it trying to build a plug so I can make some hulls. Have got the rough shape and now started to rub out rough rubbing down marks and blend in the contours of the hull. It has not been a very easy but looking at the real boat and take in loads of pictures from different angles it seems okay. Will post pictures when I can work out how.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 am

Hi MK1 , looking forward to the photo's 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 pm

so am I Mk1..............has Mick French dragged you over from the dark side, lol........you'll enjoy it here..............and welcome to the forum too..

look forward to seeing your model. neil.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 am

Hi sorry for the delay been working on another problem. Hi Neil do I take it by [so am I] you are also doing a Shannon I thought you were going to due a 1900 Steam Lifeboat. Yes Mike French did say about this site so her I am. This started out to be build a Hull but I now want 3 hulls so changed it to build a plug should be alright never tried to build a plug before but ha ho it has 2 chances. Have got some one to make the mould and Hulls.
Shannon Build 2b_jpg12
Shannon Build 2a_11
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:46 am

Just to say the pictures are of the raw unfinished plug and not the finished item still working on it may be the end of the week. Think I have got the hang of doing the picture posting.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 2:07 pm

hi John.............no I'm not doing the Shannon.................but  have been asked to build one for our station  it Fleetwood when she arrives next year..........so would be very interested in a set of your moulds eventually.it won't be a working model so the fact that I can mock up the buckets on the jet drive will be a lot easier than having working ones.......

and the way speedline is going at it, designing his own jet drives as well as the boat, it is going to cost a bloody fortune on the market................

I shall wait with patience for the go ahead from the station and watch your progress.

and yes. I will be making the moulds for the Queen in the new year.....hopefully by then will have finished the calmac ferry.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 12:43 am

Hi all got the Shannon Hull to a point were I was happy with it and its now with the man how is making the mould and Hulls. I got my camera out to take some photos got called away come back and put the frame work around the Hull thought I had taken the photos. Here are a couple of photos of the Hull before it went.
Shannon Build 4e_17-10
Shannon Build 4c_17-10
Shannon Build 4b_17-10
Shannon Build 4a_17-10

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 2:00 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Looking good.
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 10:40 am

looks absolutely superb John.....can't wait to see a hull. are you doing the superstructure as a moulded piece as well.

cheers. neil.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 am

Hi don't know about the superstructure I am going to make one and see what the problems are in moulding it as it has quite a few angles and holes. The cost factor also comes into it. The person who is doing the hull did says due to the angles etc it would be better done as a rubber mould have you ever tried this size.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 1:11 am

hi John.....

when I designed the full kit of the Interceptor 42' Pilot boat which models by design now market ( I made the plugs for Dave metcalf to sell, but he never got round to it) the superstructure on that was quite an unusual shape, and dave had that made from from a silicon rubber mould and was made by a chap who works ( or did work at the time) for one of the F1 GP teams.........and it did cost a pretty penny. However afterwards we decided that it could have been made in a 3 piece split mould.

Shannon Build E_copy10

Shannon Build Img_0010

Shannon Build Img_0011

the black spray shield above the rear w/t door id an added on piece of plasticard.

Shannon Build Img_0013
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 12:24 am

Just started to build the cabin this is not going to be very easy. The rear bridge has so many angles its trying to find the best way to build it so I can use it or make a mould from it. Will try and post some pictures later after I have stuck my hair back with super glue. The mould has been started but its slow as he has a pile of contract work to finish.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 am

I had a similar problem john with the cabins of the flying christine 3and the thames lifeboat.made a cabin a block shape the overal size and then cut out any recesses later and added walls lockers and other detailing with plasticard and ply.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:50 am

Hi done a bit more to the cabin. Made up a wood gig as I have 2 to build so far its taken 6 sheets of plasticard and I still have the back part to build. Went down to the Ilfracombe station to check out a couple of details that i was not sure of on the back part. Now started the second one to get it up to the same as this one and then do the 2 back parts together. The cabin has to be cut down to fit the deck when the time comes it was easier to build it like this.
Shannon Build 5g_3-810
Shannon Build 5f_3-810
Shannon Build 5e_3-810

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 am

Hi forgot to say the hull mould is coming on very well won't be long now.

Shannon Build 210
Shannon Build 1jpg10

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 pm

fantastic work john.......beautiful to look at.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 am

Just got the mould back checked it over a couple of bits of paint from the plug stuck to it. Wed and dryed the paint of and gave the mould a good rub over with cut and polish cream. Will be taken it back today to get the 1st hull made hope to have one by the end of the week.
Shannon Build 4ka_10

Shannon Build 4na_10

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 12:44 am

looks very nice indeed
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Indeed  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Shannon   Shannon Build EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 1:16 am

Hi John,
Glad to see you on here my friend! Good to see your build of the Shannon,its looking good already.Its a great shame in their wisdom that the RNLI didnt include the lines drawings with the plans! I am sure yours will be more accurate than most,going by your superb Mersey build!
Look forward to seeing you and the model soon!
Best wishes,
Mick
PS Note the new name on this site,no Rottweilers any more but I can still bite!
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 12:45 am

Hi Mick glad to see you are still posting had not seen anything of you lately like the new name.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 am

Hi all got one of the hulls at last and trimmed it down to the right size and added a temporary watermark line for when I try it in the bath also made up a couple of small pieces of wood to the right size of the fenders just to see what it looks like might make them in hard wood if I can't find any thing else that's light and easy to work with.
Shannon Build P1040615
Shannon Build P1040616
Shannon Build P1040617
Shannon Build P1040618

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 1:28 am

Is this one going to be a working model John?
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 am

Hi Mick I am building 2 Shannons at the present 1 is for the Ilfracombe Lifeboat house and the other is for me and I am hoping to have mine as a working model with water jets etc but it will all depend on the weight of the finished model and how it sits on the water.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 1:00 am

A bit more done to the cabin there are so many angles they even put a taper on the wall that the cover is for the handle when the door is open

Shannon Build P1040619
Shannon Build P1040620
Shannon Build P1040621
Shannon Build P1040622
Shannon Build P1040623
Shannon Build P1040624

Cheers John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 3:38 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 2:37 am

Still looking good John! I note that Ilfracombe Shannon is numbered 13-09,and they are in future holding their Lifeboat day on that date every year,what a great idea.Hope all went well for them today.
Looking forward to your next instalment John.
Mick
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 2:17 pm

That is something else John.........a masterclass in lifeboat building.................simply beautifull........will you be moulding the superstructure as a basic block to add too once moulded, and when will you be able to give us a price on the mouldings......am sate here slavering with excitement.

By the way.............what is going on with the RNLI and relocation of lifeboats.

We have had a relief Shannon up at Fleetwood for a few days whilst our tyne was on the hard at Fleetwood having her bum scraped I presume.

Was on the prom  the other day at Fleetwood when down the river came 13-06......Hoylake's Shannon!............

Nothing unusual you say? may be not until you hear the reason.

The lads shouted their usual banter to our lads at the station as they sailed right past and into the docks.

By the time I had had my icecream and walked the dog and got down to the docks to have a looksee, she was on the back of a low loader, and the Hoylake crew were throwing their lifejackets into a van . I asked what was going on with the Shannon............

Oh she's going down to Poole for remedial work on the fuel tanks as they are weeping said the cox'n.

Why did you bring her all the way up from Hoylake to Fleetwood to upload her onto a low loader, said I.

The answer came back..." it's the nearest place with a self propelled  crane strop that she can sail into and be lifted out"....

surely to god the marinas around Anglesey and Liverpool etc have such equipment? I was absolutely amazed. and off she went on the back of a low loader....

Sadly I had left my camera at home and couldn't get my phone off video to stake any stills............c'est la vie.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 12:47 am

Hi Neil sorry for not getting back to you for got will sent you a PM. I don't intend to to a mould of the cabin it will cost to much it's easier to build one. Her is the latest pictures this is the cabin of the one I am building for myself on top of the hull for Ilfracombe Lifeboat station model  if you look at the back of the picture you will see there cabin. Now got my hull have had it made a bit lighter just in case there is a weight problem will start on it today have ordered the
water jets so will bring this hull up to the same point as the other. I intend to do one to a point and then bring the other to the same point and keep doing this until the end.
Shannon Build 8ba_10
Shannon Build 8c_10
Shannon Build 8d_10

John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 6:55 am

Just stunning John.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 9:10 am

i totally agree damien.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 12:29 am

Hi just a catch up have now got the lighter hull and cut it to size. Have cut and fitted the deck beams also cut out for water jets and bonded them in. I am going to try and make the jets look like the ones on the boat as best as I can there are a few problems which I have to find answers to more on this later. Made up the servo mounts and bonded them in and have now painted part of the inside of the hull I think it looks better finish. Next job is to bond the front and side decks on.
Shannon Build P1040711
Shannon Build P1040712
Shannon Build P1040713

John
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

John,
Looking absolutely brilliant! keep up the good work!
Mick
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 am

Just a quick update on how far I have got . Have had quite a few problems to overcome but got there in the end hope to put it on the water as soon as we get a dry day and I have nothing else on. Now started to put the deck on the second one and try and bring it up to the same point less motors etc.
Shannon Build 11a11

Shannon Build 12f_10
Shannon Build 12d_10
Shannon Build 12k10
Shannon Build 13a10
Shannon Build 13b10
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 8:43 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 12:53 am

Done a bath test it was ok but the reverse side of needs some more work. Took it down to the pond this morning weather was a bit rough but the Shannon went very well  batteries did not last to long but there new ans only been charged once. A couple of pictures the wife took see also took video but got to sort that out never done it before. Put some cling film over the windows to stop anything for going inside.
Shannon Build 14a_11

Shannon Build 15b10

Shannon Build 15a10

John
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Shannon build   Shannon Build EmptyWed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi John,,
First and foremost,Happy New Year my friend!
I hope its not illness that has stopped you from posting any more progress on your wonderful build?
Like many we have been waiting for the next instalment of progress made!
So come on matey, get posting with some more photos please?
Cheers,
Mick F
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue May 31, 2016 12:44 am

ts been a while but with health problems and a broken camera [don't like being dropped] her are a couple of pictures of my Shannon not finished but well on its way. Some plateing to get done and a lot of the very small items which will get done in time.

JohnShannon Build 1_29-511
Shannon Build 2_29-510
Shannon Build 3_29-510
Shannon Build 4_29-510
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue May 31, 2016 9:11 am

JOHN.........THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BLOODY MAGNIFICENT.......

I can't say anymore...........just lost for words.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Shannon build   Shannon Build EmptyTue May 31, 2016 9:50 am

Great to see you back John
Your photos are well worth waiting for.What a wonderful model.I admire all your builds,but this one is out of this world.
I cant wait to see it
Hope you are feeling better now my friend,good to see you back
Mick F.
Back to top Go down
imara48
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Shannon 12th scale   Shannon Build EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

Can anyone know where can obtain plans for the Shannon 12th scale life boat
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 11:57 am

you can't get good repros from the RNLI anymore as they wont sell them...….the only ones I know of are from Speedline models on a PDF, BUT THEY are incomplete and show little detail of much i'm afraid.....you can get the pdf here...……

http://www.dropbox.com/sh/02lnanyv5pc8cfu/AAAaJ8TLFwiZOMNCc9iPlxQ2a?dl=0
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Neil, thought you might like to see the latest fruits of my labours. I finally have done some work on one of MY boats i.e. my MBD Shannon.  I did the build but David did the driving as he has had more practice than me with his own Shannon. lol!

KMB water jets with brushless in-runners.

https://youtu.be/U5JpEcMZHLo

Parallel parking!!

https://youtu.be/0nKt3bdbWt0

Side slipping.

https://youtu.be/1jVlFUgRgMQ

Just as controllable in reverse.

https://youtu.be/l1H5I_GSlDo

Side slipping to Port.

https://youtu.be/BmkY4jM7cAk

Just having fun!

https://youtu.be/8pkBKEw-DVI

Control system. Inner servos operate reverse buckets, outer pair steering nozzles.

https://youtu.be/WHkKsBSJmDM

Full independent control of nozzles and buckets.

https://youtu.be/vzJoqsoIwvU
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 pm

I daren't look...…….its going to make me look like a prat when I finally get round to getting mine on the water, lol. affraid
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I daren't look...…….its going to make me look like a prat when I finally get round to getting mine on the water, lol. affraid

Don't worry Neil, I drive it like a prat at the moment, that's David doing the driving!!    lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 pm

just had a good watch of those vids mate...……...excellent...……..different buckets to the ones that mick French got with his kit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shannon Build Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shannon Build   Shannon Build Empty

Back to top Go down

Shannon Build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next