TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josie Olsen

Go down 
+3
barriew
troutrunner
Roadrunner
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

Josie Olsen - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am

I know Damien It's just a knack I have, Twisted Evil uncanny isn't. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Harmless I hope you seem to have more than your fair share of dangerous things in the land of OZ. alien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Yes we do Brian a couple of days ago I took the bug spray to the metal fences as Huntsman spider frequent them in summer then I found some 40mm black spiders inhabiting my storage shed they copped Raid surface spray as well.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Looking real good Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks Paul  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 am

Well the best laid plans of mice and men often don't work the pulleys I made yesterday didn't allow sufficient rudder movement I made a pair of 6mm od pulleys  with the same negative result Have settled on 19mm aluminium  pulley drilled 3mm for rudder yet to be drilled and tapped for retaining grub screw and cord retainer screw.
The pic shows the two sets of pulleys and the new rudder pulley.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4397_zpsmfqrjgv4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 am

Darn and blast it need make another of the aluminium pulleys had a whooops moment and broke the 3mm tap while tapping the thread capture screw hole.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 am

Damien

I think you need to take a few days off to allow the gremlins to get out of your workshop lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am

Perhaps Barrie a shame to waste a few cooler days though.
Back to top Go down
Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Perhaps you need a little stress relief therapy, Damien. Basketball
Maybe your alternative hobby! 
Airbrushing bugs & spiders on your fence that sounds a good sport to me brings out your competitive side. scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 am

lol! lol!  Brian.

Lesson learned don't buy aluminium rod on ebay from China.
While drilling the new hole for the cord retaining screw I struck a hard patch the ally coming out on the drill bit was a darker colour and even with the lard/kerosene cutting oil the 2.5mm drill broke and the finished one from yesterday didn't leave clearance for the aft cabin sides.
The next generation is smaller diameter and much shorter than the first tries as it was a leftover 25mm bit of Aussie stock, I'll also use a smaller dia. cord.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4400_zpshrebiseb

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4401_zpsym3ceraf
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 04, 2017 5:21 am

Have been pondering and stressing over the superstructure construction from plan and pictures of models of Josie it has me stumped on how to get upper decks curved fore/aft and port/starboard have decided on fore-aft only.
Next hassle was the aft cabin I cut a 40mm piece 1.5mm x 75mm balsa using 3 fingers bent it to the curve in the rear deck planking and while holding it vertical drew a line on the outside and thus cutting the curvature of the deck the rest was easy.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4410_zpsijniirbc

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4409_zpsc0ly43bg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 5:16 am

Aft cabin sides completed and with scrap balsa and a sacrificed bit of pencil made a little tool to mark correct height along hull curvature.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4413_zpsnst5cqoo
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 am

Coming along a nicely now Damien.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks Paul.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm

loving every minute of it.......a very unusual build with some great skills overcoming problems.........keeps the brain healthy.

look forward to seeing it sail.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Having drawn the line - how are you going to cut along it? Cutting balsa across the grain isn't easy even when its flat on the cutting board.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 12:38 am

The mind ponders!!!!! 
The careful use of a 25mm saw blade in the dremel to within 2mm of the line, then sanding with an emery board such as this.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4416_zpsnxatqio2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 6:46 am

Barrie the 25mm fine saw blade  was generally fine, trimming done 2 minor oop's, a little plaster mixed in balsa glue will fix them or perhaps balsa dust in balsa glue 6mm x 1.5mm balsa reinforcing super glued to the upper inside edge.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4419_zpsb5vhtpac

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4420_zpsrz69xo7h

The 1.5mm recycled paper card bulkhead had a piece of deck planking glued along top edge prior to cutting access opening for hex key access for rudder pulley screw.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4421_zpsl1azz9fa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 7:29 am

On fitting the wheels in place I discovered they were flush with the outer edge of the deck problem being the cabin/wheel covers are supposed to sit on the deck edge.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4424_zpsogpsribm

The side supports I'd already fitted were removed and new 5mm x 6mm strips were cut the new curve caused too much stress and broke on the  first attempt subsequently they were soaked  in water for 15 minutes no problems after that.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4429_zpsg0zw4pbq

They'll have to be sanded down somewhat or there will be to much wheel clearance.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4428_zpszdh3c8eg

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4426_zpsfmvrgjba

Deck curve a bit wider though still a nice curve.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4427_zpszj7expxb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 am

Made a start on the paddle boxes.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4437_zpsmefrwmco

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4436_zpsshvakjju
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 am

Looking good Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks Paul. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 3:05 am

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hope the tirade of abuse I hurled at myself didn't reach anyone here after I accidentally knocked Josie of her stand to the floor putting a dent and a hole in her bottom.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4448_zpsbnqj15uq

Whilst fixing her with auto filler I found another not so easy to fix problem whilst fitting the wheel shrouds a thick run of super glue ran down the hull side, this second pic shows the remainder not so easy tom get at run.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4450_zps64tgptnf
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 4:49 am

Fixed, wet sanded the filler and the super glue looking good again.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4451_zpscydrak8o

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4452_zpsrwcamivi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 am

The inside of the filled hull hole.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4456_zpskdniyjzw

Decided on some 50mm glass tape with polyester resin for the inside.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4457_zpsaai11seo

Mid deck support rails in place with two supports in place two to come.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4458_zpshvhimlzq
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 7:44 am

I'm glad to see you're over that little hiccup Damien 2thumbsup and that you are making good progress 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 9:35 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 am

Outer skin on level one.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4467_zpskfvwnkgw

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4469_zpsw0zoqz8e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 am

Lesson learned DO NOT trim 1.5mm ply with a 6mm sanding tube in your Dremel unless you have a really steady hand which I don't.

Glued some .6mm ply x 10mm high behind the paddle boxes and 3 applications of filler followed sanding each time. A close look at these pic's shows they came out OK.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4484_zps3u8jm2d6

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4483_zpst8xl9nqz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am

The framework to keep the deck bow-stern curve was made and pinned 6mm above the first level to ensure this removable section was not glued in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4502_zpstflyzzw9

Top side with the cabin shape drawn and the engine gallows clearance hole cut.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4501_zpsk439dukb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 5:05 pm

this is one very beautiful build Damien, that looks superb. hope to see a video of it once built.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 8:39 pm

That's good to see - now we've got two of you modelling again.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 am

Awww shucks thanks guys 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 am

I should have shown how I made the support cradle for the first of this mid deck being curved as it is.

Note this was done prior to cutting the gallows access hole in the deck.

I cut some 2mm cardboard sheet about 100mm high  and joined 2 and a bit strips end to end and and added anti bend strip of 6mm sq balsa length wise, next was masking tape in 5 places each side around the deck to hold it inplace on the hull.
Holding this card length wise and upright on the hull centre line and using the shorter of the 2 pencil blocks at 90deg marked the hull curve.
Using a sturdy knife to cut to the line.

After the first cut I used the second pencil block made at 35mm base to centre pf pencil tip the height of the cabin sides and  on a flat surface rolling the curved edge whilst moving the pencil block along at the same time.
The result was transferred to 6mm balsa with 6mm sq cross braces.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4503_zps5fes03tu

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4504_zpstyuk54b0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 12, 2017 8:50 am

Got the cabin base templates cut and glued in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4505_zpswiqopako

The pencil lines indicate where wood was removed to allow for cabin side thickness.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4506_zps5axmb8dr

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4507_zpsaunub0b0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 am

Cabin front in place pencil line 35mm cabin height.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4511_zpse00lbv0a

Deck stiffener strip from planking strip.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4512_zpsv6ijuzja

From the underside In hind sight I should have put some masking tape on the hull prior to gluing to give clearance for the paint will have some sanding to do prior to painting. Another Oh darn moment.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4513_zpsf1aazsw3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 9:05 am

The LOA is 810mm and the beam across the paddle boxes is 240mm.

Stern section of upper cabin cut from 75mm wide x 2.5mm balsa glued on edges after glue dried soaked in baking pan of water for 30mins after which it curved nicely around the former.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4514_zpsmhhgmqet

My 35mm line marker put to work again.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4515_zpsoqpn4jbo
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am

You have more success with balsa than I do Damien. It always cracks for me when I try to bend it Rolling Eyes I much prefer working with plasticard.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks Barrie,

On first try one of the joints was on the apex of the curve and the joint broke before I got half way round the curve, CA glued it again and put the joints either side of the apex and starting from apex CA'd 10mm each side at a time holding with fingers a tad slow but gives a good joint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 5:23 am

Cabin sides added again 2.5mm thick, just a little bit of filler was needed.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4517_zpsmhzsxqsb

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4516_zpspswzciyb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Whilst putting the cabin sides in place I neglected to tape the deck down I found today the deck was about 3mm above the top of the lower deck cabin sides.

I solved it simply  with a 19mm snap off knife, I sliced a deck level under cabin sides for around 50mm and with a thin wedge of balsa inserted it until the deck sat in place nicely some filler will finish it off.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4518_zpsf1y4m8uk

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4519_zpshvywsm9e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2017 10:03 am

Slow going winter arrived a month early already had -1.5 c or 34.7F overnight twice so far best we got today was 11.4c or 52.52F.

Have the cabin sides trimmed to shape and upper deck drawn on ply ready to cut tomorrow if weather is accommodating.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4546_zpswk5vyhu8

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4545_zps7vvqmc63
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2017 10:16 pm

this build fascinates me........such a complicated ship but so intriguing with all the complex shapes..i just love it..........don't say much but really am amazed at the complexity of it. superb Damien.love it.

neil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon May 08, 2017 4:13 am

I agree all the shapes are a nightmare.  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyMon May 08, 2017 8:40 am

Had to re trace the upper deck as I hadn't left quite enough room for errors on the port side to edge of ply.
Then cut it with a knife.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4547_zpseslgfssx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat May 13, 2017 5:26 am

Upper deck glued in place still some trimming needed.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4552_zpsi9nbo418
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun May 14, 2017 8:39 am

The best laid plans of mice and men can still go awry even after checking the upper deck alignment 3 times, I should have checked it after putting the weights in place as  the stern of the upper deck was 6mm off centre when I went to start trimming it and spent 15 minutes carefully removing said deck with a knife.

Thankfully balsa glue is easier to remove than superglue. 
And it's now correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptyTue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Pattern for paddle boxes drawn while watching deep space 9 tonight.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4554_zpslnkfpzg6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySat May 20, 2017 9:30 am

While pondering on why didn't I trace and cut the upper deck when the mid deck was finished and before the cabin was glued upon it, I came up with a spring loaded pencil mounted on a t-piece where the tongue sits upon the lower deck and the pencil draws on the underside of the upper deck.
som 6mm scrap balsa, some scrap brass tube a small compression spring.

With only 35mm between decks it started with a daunting challenge the hardest parts were  the pencils, they needed to be only 18mm long with a short angle to thwart excess wobble in the brass tube.
The other challenge was the placement of the brass tube so that the pencil point was exactly above the above the lower deck line.

Side on with the pencil beside it.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4555_zpsilx7qdqj

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4556_zpse9thk7kb

Showing just how little room there is tween decks.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4557_zpshir8tss7

And finally the pencil attempts  before getting angle right after chucking in in my drill they were sanded to correct diameter to suit tube.

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4558_zpsvwvv4emt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 EmptySun May 21, 2017 5:47 am

Today I thought I'd do something different, the wooden mast 120mm x 4mm at base and 2mm at top starting with 6mm dowel with 10mm extra each end.
With 1mm centre drill in my lathe I made a pilot hole for the live centre in the lathe put the dowel in the lathe and with 2 - 30mm wide finger nail boards went to work I had to frequently clean the nail boards with a brass wire brush as they clogged up quickly.

2 pic's   

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4560_zpsfarjeedm

Josie Olsen - Page 5 DSCF4561_zpsg3s9bjth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Josie Olsen
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Paddle Boats-
Jump to: