TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josie Olsen

Go down 
+3
barriew
troutrunner
Roadrunner
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Josie Olsen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 9:52 am

I've never  heard of them either.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 11:49 am

OK - maybe not the correct name Laughing Laughing Amati Plank Benders is the correct name. In my view an overpriced tool - but so are all Amati's other tools.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 A7381_10

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks Barrie, I will take a look on the net and check them out 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 30, 2016 10:08 am

Four planks each side glued on 

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H_zpsu9opa4em

Clamps in progress to hold hull inverted for the rest of the planks the hard work begins with tighter compound curves.
I've only glued myself to the hull 3 times so far lol

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H1_zpsznbxgm1i

And the poly pipe for soaking the planks 40mm id

Josie Olsen - Page 2 Pipe_zpsperaqcxs

Damien.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 7:36 am

Keel clamps finished and mounted.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H2_zpscrc6oeep

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H3_zps7ofizl6r

And clamped in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H4_zpsl4eq1jhf
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 1:21 pm

That's a neat idea for a clamp Damien, I like it 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks Paul.
Today, 3 planks each side reduced from 8.5mm to 5mm x 3mm so much easier to work with.
And there was no flex in the keel at all.
The clamps were made with 50mm angle brackets that were epoxied to 12mmx30mm Poplar and were attached with bolts through the base board so that when planking is finished the hull and clamps lift off together and allow access to the clamp bolts to release them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 am

Another 2 each side on the bottom of the hull.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H_zpsn9jxx2ph

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H1_zpspygwa3io
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:46 am

Its coming along nicely Damien  2thumbsup 2thumbsup Now planking wasn't so bad was it lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:51 am

You're Making it look easy Damien 2thumbsup Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks chaps far better than I expected the only trouble I've had was it was really warm today and the white glue was drying before I got to the end of the planks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 am

2 - 3mm x 3mm and a  5mm x 3mm each side to get around the hull's bottom curve.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H2_zpsim6ylxt2

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H3_zpsfj5cjfv6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 am

Only a little planking to do tomorrow and then the sanding starts.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H4_zpslopkzhfk
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Looking good Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Damien,

Before I start sanding the outside of my planked hulls I resin the insides - either just resin, or resin and glass fibre tissue or model aircraft tissue. It makes the hull more rigid to help with sanding.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 12:30 am

I'll use filler on any gaps before the resin or it'll be a disaster sanding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:25 am

5/2/16 Planking finished, filler to all the gaps and polyester resin to the inside to stiffen it up prior to sanding the resin cured quickly on top of shed in full sun 27c heat.

6/2/16  Sanded easily a few bits of filler still needed a calliper was used to ensure equal outer width of  each bulkhead from keel at deck level.

Pic's later off to add filler it will dry quickly 27c outside heading for 31c.

Inside with polyester resin coat.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4001_zpsg8lu60e3

Second lot of filler sanded  coming together nicely .

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4000_zpshuucd9bq

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF3999_zpsmbcoxg9e

The bow blocks glued in place.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4002_zpsvxjir3ix
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Looking good Damien.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 pm

And all the worrying before, it all looks fine 2thumbsup  it'll be me that's troubled about doing Eileen next  Rolling Eyes  I'm not looking forward to that but you and Barrie have both given me more confidence Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 5:00 am

Go for it mate 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 am

I'll have a go as soon as I have finished lining out the new bit off shed and built the new bench 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 10:20 am

Bow and stern nicely to correct shape.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4007_zpsb2nymhav

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4008_zpskmyp63rw

Keel and bulkheads removed as shown on the plan.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4010_zpsyuhybfmr

and the deck cut from 2.5mm ply.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4009_zpsepsoi9df

Had a productive day.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Coming along nicely Damien  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks Paul.

While sanding the bow blocks I was regretting  gluing the the stem piece on first with super glue however a whoops happened with it caught under the bench and it broke sanding proceeded smoothly and a new stem was added to finish her off I intended to glass tissue & resin her today but I cant be bothered so will sit and watch Babylon5 episodes.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 7:55 am

2thumbsup I like a bit of science fiction too 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 am

I love it lol recently finished all of DS9 and 3 epi's of Eureka left to watch.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I have watched quite a few of Eureka, have you watched any Stargate, my favourite is Stargate Atlantis.

If you like strange Sci-Fy try Fringe, some of it is almost believable that it could be real in the near future, Continuum is another worth a watch if you like time travel..............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 2:35 am

Yep all 4 Stargate movies entire SG1 & all SG Alantis.
I have Fringe & Continuum but haven't watched them  Yet

A Scifi movie I really liked was Cowboys and aliens set in USA wild west.

I have every book EE Doc Smith ever wrote and a few written in his name that were finished after his death.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 am

I like most science fiction stuff as long as it is well done.

I watched Stargate Universe but was disappointed as it only ran for 2 seasons, but still worth a watch 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am

2 layers of glass cloth went on easily  (See the post in Tricks ant tips) no dramas 5% thinner added to the polyester resin.
The stem and end of keel were all I that wouldn't behave so will need to do separately.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4014_zpseoxw0myb

Nice and smooth.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4016_zpsj6yargsj

She'll be ready to trim tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 5:21 am

Had a few 6mm bubbles and in several places the tissue lifted at deck level nothing a little body filler won't fix.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H1_zpsp3nlrlyv

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H3_zpscetz35qt

Josie Olsen - Page 2 H3_zpscetz35qt

I doped the deck level plank and top of the blocks next I'll smear the  hull with body filler and wet sand when dry. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 7:57 am

Hi Damien, is it general practice to either cover with fibre glass tissue inside or out, I understand why you are doing it but I am curious to know..........

On another note, she is coming along quite nicely 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks Paul.

Applying resin to the inside firms up the balsa so it doesn't warp whilst sanding, I apply resin/glass tissue to the outside to accident proof the hull against other models and rocks around the launch sites.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 12:32 pm

That makes sense, something I will have to think about Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 12:49 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Damien wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Applying resin to the inside firms up the balsa so it doesn't warp whilst sanding, I apply resin/glass tissue to the outside to accident proof the hull against other models and rocks around the launch sites.
Hi Paul I do the same as Damien, except that I sometimes use model aircraft tissue instead of glass tissue. I also use either glass or paper tissue inside sometimes if my planking isn't very good Embarassed  instead of just resin. I also prefer to use a water based resin if possible - it has less odour and is easier to clean up. If using it inside I always use some form of tissue.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 11:43 am

After removing the obvious faults in the GRP surface I sprayed the hull with high build primer after it dried I wet sanded with 120 git wet & dry paper unfortunately it was not as smooth as I thought. A drama proceeded as I found my spot filler had thickened since last use approx 12yrs since last used on my Hillclimb car, I thinned it with GP thinners and proceeded to apply to hull but being 29c day it dried as i applied it the hull ended up looking like a mountain rage of hills cliffs and chasms 2 to 3mm thick left it 3 days to fully dry.
Finally started wet sanding with 120 grit without much success for 2 hrs so switch to 80grit for another hour also without much success this putty had set like concrete.

I attacked it today with my sander with 90mm triangle 80 grit pads which cut the worst of it and with the paper in my hand not to bad as pics show.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4022_zps9bizdrty

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4024_zpsfeblxghk

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4023_zpslwwmvxxa

Tip If stop putty gets thick and lumpy chuck it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 5:16 am

Hull finished ready for final u/coat.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4028_zpsmdbuxlig

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4026_zps0d6gkakw

Rudder from 1.5mm aluminium sheet & some 2.9mm stainless steel rod.
The blade material was  bent at 90deg's in a vice and hand bent the rest of the way
finished of with a hammer.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4030_zpsifzqfpv9

The rudder shaft was notched diagonally in six places and was epoxied into place. 
The joint of the 2 sides was super glued and when dried body filled was packed into the top & bottom.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4031_zps1ldr3fyl

The brass plate pivot for rudder bottom pin although not on plan was 3mm tube hammered flat 
was added as the pivot tube is only around 15mm long .

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4029_zpshvedxn6h
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:31 am

With the hull ready for the deck I thought of getting a profile for a stand and thought of plaster bandage to get the profile after seeing the price on ebay I cut a hand towel into strips and soaked then in plaster wrapped the hull in cling wrap and placed 4 strips fore and aft,

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4033_zpsrw8ptgz9

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4034_zps28arbtk7

The string was needed to hold the strips to the contour of the hull.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 2:18 am

Stand made and painted, deck glued in place and trimmed I can't put pic's up at present my new pooter has crashed so sharing my wife's tablet pooter that doesn't have a spare usb slot for the camera a friend of my son's will check it out sometime in the next week.

The gallows assembly seen on earlier on this blog was turfed in the bin, why didn't I notice the angles were wrong before now back to scratch on this one.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF3771_zpstymknlhq

The left side is a different angle to the right and a tad taller I retrieved it from the bin and kept the two sides and binned the rest and cut an angled spacer and tacked it in place with supa glue,  positioned it on new base then tacked the other in place I'll leave the spacer in place until I've glued the cross brace in. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 am

While not able to process photo's at present building progresses I found the beam pivot bearing shaft some what off centre I removed the pivot tube to rectify I placed axle rod in drill press with the tube centre over said axle it was place within the beam and held at 90 deg by the drill press locked in place while the glue dried.

Funnel made and cylinder and valve assembly well under way couldn't get 3/16"channel cheaply so with Dremel and 12mm sander tube I spent an hour turning it into channel (Anyone want a heap of brass powder lol) Brass scroll work for the top of the assembly is next.

When I get my computer fixed I'll add all the pictures I've taken of the progress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Finally have my computer fixed and able to process photos.

The stand completed.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4044_zpsnwvnbykd

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4043_zpsi5cdtifa

Funnel and cylinder/valve block done.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4053_zpsgjqjo0lp

Piston slide gantry under construction.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4057_zpsdx14tpuv

3/16 square brass tube turned into channel with 1/2" dia 80 grit sanding drum in the Dremel.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4054_zps3bdpysec

Gantry assembly.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4056_zpsx2lkrynd

The deck installed with rubber bands and 10mm dowel used to force it to conform to the hull curvature while glue dried.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4042_zps0viccb2u

Engine bay cut out.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4045_zpsttchoyum

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4047_zps6gaajh2m

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4046_zpsks3lbyck

My deck didn't quite match the the bow as this pic shows the filler required to make the deck conform to shape.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4050_zps9rye88hw
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:39 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  You've been busy Damien. Its coming along nicely. Hope the computer repair was not too costly.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 am

No $20 for s/h power supply & $10 labour. We have a computer shop near by that caters for the poor, unemployed and disabled if needed they will supply a S/h machine for $100 I donate our old computers when my son updates ours.

Yes moved along instead of sitting around most of the day had much more time whilst sharing my wife's computer even got the shed totally cleaned  2thumbsup
Didn't stay that way long though  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:34 am

Looking good Damien 2thumbsup  wish I could get back to my boats, the shed seems to taking forever  Rolling Eyes  your progress is encouraging me though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:47 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup  Good keep at it Paul.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 6:41 am

3 of the 4 engine/valve rods made some finishing still needed.
The plan called for laminating 3mm ply but I had 3 failures as glue let go while shaping so cut new ones from 9mm poplar.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4062_zpsnjkttq0t

3 of the bow planks glued in place pic's when closer to finished planking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 pm

been a while since I looked at this Damien..........how well it has come on.........superb.

I like the idea for the profile for the stand.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks mate.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 am

The fourth a brass eyelet for the pivot arm drive from the drive gear, hand carved with Dremel and a 5mm milliing bit from 3mm x 12mm brass.

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4064_zpshwywpso0

Josie Olsen - Page 2 DSCF4066_zpsltrpxt7w
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Josie Olsen
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Paddle Boats-
Jump to: