TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josie Olsen

Go down 
+3
barriew
troutrunner
Roadrunner
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Josie Olsen - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2016 8:17 am

It appears for about an hour a few times a day, I have to see my Doc next week I'm hoping it's wax build up on ear drum and a flush out will fix it I've never experienced it before.

Last edited by Damien on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 5:54 pm

yep.............been living with it n taking betahistine for it for 25 years or more.............and if I stand up too quick, I go dizzy n fall down............great stuff getting old, lol. drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2016 6:43 pm

the more noisy the world and your surroundings get, the more people will suffer from it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 2:05 am

Such a relief when it goes away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 5:10 pm

You are lucky Damien, if it does for you.

I am plagued with it 24/7/365 ............just a constant ringing in my ears.......especially at night when all is quiet.

I suppose you grow to ignore it most of the time.

Jim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Some times just like pressure in the ear others it's so loud it drowns out my hearing aids, tv & workshop tools.
See the Doc tuesday for blood test results so I'll tell her whats going on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 am

I finished the stern planking yesterday I'll get a pic later today as I try to work out I stuffed up and have one plank more on starboard side oh well to late now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 am

Trimmed to shape, got a little heavy handed sanding them and managed to delaminate  the top layer of the port side 1.5mm ply deck.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4339_zpslruau9se

To stiffen it up I rough cut some 1.5mm ply scrap and glued it to the underside of the planks a little over size as seen in first pic.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4340_zpsduffhz13

The gap filled with light weight filler ooop's looking at next pic shows a glaring fault in starboard hull shape at deck level more filler needed.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4341_zpsmuhpdp2m
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 04, 2016 8:17 am

Second coat of high build primer and a little spot filler.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4344_zps7px4czpl

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4345_zpslkxiuich

Prior to priming I applied light weight car body filler to the Starboard side  stern at deck level where she was out of shape.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 F2197539-b42d-4d89-abd5-2e951fb5f7ca_zpsghxxky8x

The 29c day turned to rain stopping another coat of primer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 6:10 am

Outside hull had final coat of primer and upon checking the plan my forward deck planking goes 30mm too far astern a bit of cutting tomorrow, also the stand I made her will need significant lowering of the side retainers as they will currently interfere with the hull to underside of deck braces.
On the up side I've marked where the braces need to be will mark the waterline tomorrow with a liuttle help from my missus.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4348_zpsvflud4t6

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4347_zps9ea9kqy1
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 am

Looking good and smooth Damien.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks Barrie.  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 6:59 am

Decided to get a start on the wheels only to discover the 24 wheel blades and the wheel inner discs have disappeared started cutting new ones from 2mm polystyrene only to discover the plastic handle on my guillotine flexes and cuts out of square the square & the base also flexes so mounting on 12mm MDF coming up Hmm perhaps it's more for balsa.
Machined 4 new 60mm inner discs on the lathe.
Just awaiting arrival of 10mm dia brass from Hong Kong to turn the wheel centres.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 4:49 am

Deck to hull braces fitted & only glued thumb & forefinger to braces 6 times.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4356_zpscnw3awsw

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4357_zpshemmbzrj
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 9:47 am

More progress Damien 2thumbsup Keep up the good work 2thumbsup

Shame you lost and have to remake those parts, have a last look to see if you can find them, you know what will happen, you'll make new ones then find the originals.......................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 am

No I recently had a clean up and threw out a lot of old vitamin and pill bottles they were in on of them the wheel rims and spokes were store separately it not good getting older  lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 5:00 am

GRRRRRRRRR grumble,  a polite way of saying what i called myself after finding my carefully laid out deck support braces on port side were 6mm further forward than starboard side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2016 10:28 am

All good removed them and made new supports and got the the rudder servo fitted in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 7:59 am

First wheel centre machined just needs to be drilled and tapped the second is part machined it got too warm in the shed 33c outside today.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4363_zpsvsg4v64r
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 am

Roll on summer, plenty of frost around here at the moment Mad

Sounds like you could do with air conditioning Damien Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am

Aircon in a zincalume shed under the carport  lol! we don't have aircon in the house  lol! & Gov't not likely to put it in.
And temp's forecast for next 6 days  33, 34, 31,27, 32, 19c still 2 months of summer Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 am

Second centre turned no need for pic it's identical to first.
That's it until possibly this evening as it's 38deg C in the shed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 4:10 am

Decided today was start the wheels day whilst searching for the pre cut spokes I pulled the brown paper from this pill bottle.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4370_zpsurjgugmt

And what did I find? The lost wheel centres and floats.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4371_zps8qg2xmrd

Subsequently found the spokes and built one rim.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4369_zps7cf6icvp
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 am

Good news then 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 am

I thought so Paul I went out before dinner and turned it upside down to build the other thought I'd done well until after dinner I went out to assemble the 2nd wheel to discover I'd put the centre  disk in place but had forgotten the 2 rings and glued the together 40 minutes later I had salvaged the original half had to cut another centre disc.

The original half with the remains of the 2nd centre.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4375_zpsu41ykf90

The new centre and 12 new spokes.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4376_zpswazxydpj
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 10:42 pm

putting those wheels together, matey.........you have the patience of a saint............looking good, and that hull is superb. Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 11:46 pm

lol! lol!  More like the frustration of the damned  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 am

First wheel ready for assembly.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4377_zpsfeztarh0

First half of second wheel done the arrow on hub is a key for later assembly it will be turned spokes down and the other half is built on top when assembling the arrows assure perfect alignment of the paddles.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4378_zpsiaw5fevl

All four rims complete.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4379_zpsonlj9fpl
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 9:58 am

Coming on nicely now Damien 2thumbsup , I'm looking forward to seeing the completed paddle wheels Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 am

Not long now Paul, 
Wheel centres drilled and tapped 3mm.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4380_zpsd8q5z8br
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm

You're becoming the paddle wheel expert Damien. How many set is this you've made?
Looking good.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 pm

3 sets Barrie.

I had intended using a burr in my Dremel to put grooves in the mating surfaces prior to epoxying now thinking I'll drill 1.5mm and use stainless pins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 am

The drilling was unsuccessful as it was impossible to a centre punch close enough for drilling the pin holes, so cut slots and silver soldered the cross pins in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 pm

I am mesmerised by this build. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 am

And i'm stressed buy it lol

Went out to see how the first half wheel to centre gluing went, not good if it wasn't a fire ban day I'd put my propane torch to the whole shebang some how even with the wheel weighted to stop warping when I spun in lathe to check it and it has a 4mm wobble.
36c in shed to hot to bother with it today tomorrow is to be 24c perhaps look to see if I can drill the centre from the wheel and try again. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 am

Feeling calmer I thought about it and tomorrow I'll chuck the brass centre in the lathe and then grind a parting tool point of 1mm and 6mm cut depth to separate it from the wheel  with minimum polystyrene loss.
And have another go at the bludger. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 am

A much better outcome today, the parting tool was efficient to remove the wheel from the centre hub the removed Polystyrene replaced by 5 min epoxy.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4386_zpshussmewb

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4387_zpsy6chtq31
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 4:49 am

Both wheels assembled several of the floats are not quite 90 deg to the rims some how a couple of spokes must have moved whilst drying.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4388_zpsswrnav3w
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 8:17 am

A complicated job there Damien, they look ok to me, it will still look ok if a couple of bits align wrong. In reality I bet there was a margin of error or a in any case they would have had repairs done over the years just to get her moving again. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 9:05 am

Better than any I made  lol! 

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 9:53 am

A pair of pic's of the repairs perhaps I was nit picking but it didn't look right to me.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4389_zpskhfmoe4f

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4390_zpsd00qs26p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm

superb but one hell of a job.........you have the patience of a saint. Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 pm

As my mother was want to say (YOU DIDN'T HEAR THE WORDS HE WAS YELLING)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 2:49 am

Wheels temporarily in place, a few changes to the wheel area as with wheels hard against the hull the the wheels are still proud of the deck cabin lines.
As seen in this pic.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4393_zpsbjiwnxuz

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4392_zpsv5b3qozk

Rudder servo installed, as there is no room for a tiller arm I make a small brass pulley and use cord from both sides of the servo arms the other thought is a short piece of bowden cable.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4395_zpslbfizfxd
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 am

Finding the control tube inner & outer binding when bent to shape I needed to change to cord control I re-positioned the Rudder servo to the centre line and turned 2 x 9mm dia pulleys that will sit either side of the tiller arm.
I use the brass section of an electrical terminal block and some brass sheet for the tiller arm.

This pic shows the pulleys and tiller parts.

Josie Olsen - Page 4 DSCF4396_zpsneeif1tr
Back to top Go down
Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 am

Progressing very nicely Damien.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks Brian It's given me more bad moments than I'd like though. affraid affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Oldsmokey
Gunner
Gunner
Oldsmokey

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 am

I can see that reading through your build log, but you are up for it and overcoming all the problems, health, extreme weather, materials not co-operating as we would like.
Thought, you're are not expecting a plague of Locusts or Termites about now?  lol!

It always gives me a lift to see your work and how you did it your way. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Mate  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

lol! lol! lol! You had to open ya mouth Brian we have flying beetles about 6 x 8mm in their hundreds attracted to any light  lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Josie Olsen
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Paddle Boats-
Jump to: