TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Josie Olsen

Go down 
+3
barriew
troutrunner
Roadrunner
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun May 21, 2017 11:19 am

luvvly job matey.............usually takes me 2 - 3 attempts as I end up snapping the sodding things towards the end lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun May 21, 2017 11:33 am

Talc on finger and supported it from underneath while one handed sanding the top.
It's good hard dowel too Birch I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyMon May 22, 2017 6:58 am

With the idea for the mast formed in brain a week ago I bought 110 wood beads 4mm x 3mm with a 2mm hole for $2 au a little taper trim and it looks good my wife was happy to receive 109 wood beads  sunny

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4562_zpsx26o5gdk

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4564_zps6cisjy7y
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyMon May 22, 2017 11:50 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri May 26, 2017 9:37 am

While thinking of the railings I decided not to make the timber ones shown on the plan, instead thought of stripping some fine wire and twisting it to look like wire rope while searching my wire draw I found some flat computer ribbon cable.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4567_zpssvqbuzzu

The insulation was a tad difficult to remove until softened with heat I was really surprised and pleased to find it already twisted and fully tinned with solder.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4569_zpsoil290sb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri May 26, 2017 10:23 am

that's interesting, Damien..........I've thrown that stuff away before now thinking that I'd never had use for it.

it's amazing what we can salvage and use for modelling when "thinking out of the box" as the "Americanism" states.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri May 26, 2017 10:45 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 7:00 am

Mast installed in the aft top nott (plan doesn't say what it's called) will be painted and have the have stays added before installation.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4570_zpsqrq7nrbs

The wheel box fronts have been machined to shape using a handheld elec tool with carbide tipped tools and emery boards.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4571_zpsqdlwngtr

Fronts and backs temp glued together prior to band saw cutting the outer curve.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4572_zpsldecurff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

lovely work there Damien.

do you drill most of it out and then use the tipped bit to take out the rest, or do the whole lot with that bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 8:23 am

10mm wood bit at top and 3mm at bottom the rest with the 3mm and 6mm burrs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 6:57 am

Didn't think I'd get to the shed today  after -2.5c or 27.5F coldest night for more than a year, the day's been a tad warmer. 

Ballarat Ap at Wednesday 3:20pm EST
Temperature:
8.7°C
Feels like:
5.5°C

Braved it for an hour or so until my feet went numb.

Managed to get the wheelhouse structure made and 3 pieces of 1.5mm x 3" balsa  glued side on for the skin.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4575_zpsfuzpaxom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 7:37 am

Mast stays fitted.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4577_zpscuiden2n

Wheel house together with stairs fitted.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4578_zpstgkomage

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4579_zps1cusgpxs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 am

Grrrrr some lessons are learned the hard way yesterday I applied white enamel paint to the Wheelhouse and the clerestory roof the paint was a little thick so added some thinners should have been turps I guess Whoopsie Daisies 24hrs later it was still tacky.
Gave them a bath in thinners and with rags and a brush removed it all.

Will start again tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Tomorrow was a week ago came down with some bug not pleasant now wifey has it, got an hour or so today cut about 70, 4mm dia biscuits from 1.5mm ply with a Wad punch, to sit at bottom of the handrail stanchions they still need a 1mm hole drilled in the centre, I'll mount them on some board with double sided tape for the drilling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 am

Mounted and 28 x 1mm holes drilled a few off centre will be discarded.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4580_zpsxav3d0ck

I'm amazed that the top dollar 1.5mm ply delaminated on numerous occasions whilst punching and drilling.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 am

A nice steady job that Damien lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am

Made easier with this mini 12v 380 sized motor with a chuck with  to 2mm.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 DSCF4581_zpsh94bpqww
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

Now I have some new photos I'm back at her wheel house finished bar trimmings as is the mast and the do hickey on rear of upper deck with mast I forget it's real name

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0610

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0611

Since I took those pic's yesterday 56 x 1mm holes for the hand rail stanchions have been drilled, when I counted the 4mm x 2.5mm ply feet for the stanchion bases and darn it I'l one short 
I made 6 as some have the 1mm hole off centre Tomorrow I'll super glue the edges to stop the ply delamination.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 am

I was planning on a float test today it didn't happen swmbo decided she wanted to mow the lawn, by the time I lugged out the 50 metre electric cable and the electric mower and put them away when she'd finished I was beyond anything other than sitting so I finished the new stanchion feet & then started installing the stanchions around the beam opening in the roof with super glue when dry the little ply feet were glued in place with balsa glue.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0621

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0622
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Good to see you back at it again Damien 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 7:56 pm

I agree.........it is a stunning looking ship...............just love the quirkiness of the hull and superstructure......so totally different to anything I've ever seen.

keep at it Damien.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 am

Seriously wishing I'd used thick card or styrene for the stanchion feet after another eight delaminated while preparing them today.
The dark ones at the rear i've coloured with Jacobean stain for use on the lower planked stern deck.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0628
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 am

Found I had some .8mm from the back of a book of art paper I laminated 3 pieces with some sticky glue my wife Jo uses for her craft endeavours should be able to punch out a bunch of them tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 4:59 am

Grrrrrr the card also delaminated, searched my styrene bits draw and found some 1.64mm scrap as I need 46 I punched out 60 and marked centre with a fine point marker hopefully to find centre easier while drilling 1mm holes for the stanchions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 am

Wow gluing the styrene stanchion bases in place was trickier than I expected styrene glue didn't work nor did balsa glue.
I ended up holding them in place with 1mm brass rod and trying to use as little super glue as possible.
I was about 70% successful 2 didn't stick and several glued the brass rod as well. :darn I have other things to do before fitting the stanchions ie. some filling and a coat of undercoat.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0629

Josie Olsen - Page 6 St10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 am

All stanchions accept the lower deck ones super glued in place first pic shows balsa blocks that will ensure the rails will all be in correct height/position, the plan calls for 3 rails I'll only use 2 as 3 in a 1/2" or 12mm would make soldering with shaky hands difficult.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0630

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0631

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0633

All the uneeded 1mm holes plus a few hollows filled with polyfiller.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0632
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 10:49 am

2thumbsup  Coming along nicely Damien 2thumbsup she looks better ever time I take a look 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks Paul
I'll start the railings tomorrow I had some old 20 wire computer cable after striping the outer I found 4 or 5 strands twisted together and tinned full length and around 1mm dia it'll make soldering them on a lot easier.

I may not be able to paint her for some time our weather mob predicts a really wet humid summer not good for painting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 am

The aforementioned computer cable.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0634

The wire being pre tinned was more difficult than I imagined it didn't like tight 90 deg bends, the beam fence is as good as I can get a bit of hand filing will make it look cleaner.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0636

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0635
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 am

I've tried using something similar - it looks good but not easy to use.
Glad to see you've started modelling again Damien.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks Barrie I sort of fell out of the groove when I lost all the photos. Have a grip on it again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am

The forward mid deck rails done clean up after the stern rails are completed they're showing the ravages of wild drunken parties on board.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0638

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0639
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 pm

when you lose your mo jo, it's hard to get it back for what ever reason, but glad to see you back at it, Damien. and looking good too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks mate.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

Stern mid deck railings done a bit neater than forward ones.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0640

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0641
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 5:03 am

Looking at the plan measuring window sizes it struck me I'd missed detail on the engine bellows 2 brass supports each side.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0643
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 29, 2017 5:11 am

Wheel house and the other roof top fitting now glued in place, a litter filler needed under both of them.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0642
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 pm

looking great with all the pieces coming together............but tell me..........do you strategically place the superstructure in front of that brown tube, or is it going to be the funnel, lol. Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol!  The tube mid pic holds my airbrush cleaning tools ther taller one far right holds all my styrene strip/tubes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 am

Thought about undercoat and retrieved my grey primer from back shed to stir and thin to correct consistency to find the last 40mm in the 4litre tin a really thick jelly  :c002  into the garbage it went have to see my doctor tomorrow I'll buy some on way home, can't believe the price difference what I paid for the 4 litre tin 10 plus years ago when I built my Renault 10 Hillclimb car  will now only buy 1 litre.

Whilst waiting for paint started on the windows my wife had given me an 8mm square punch and some thin acrylic mirror tiles which I punched approx 60 x 8mm sq's of mirror, and I bought 2 A3 sheets of black 1mm card from newsagents and cut 5 x 30mm strips 
Then punched 12 - 8mm squares from each strip, placed 25mm double sided tape on the back and then placed the mirror squares where I cut the black squares from.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0645

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0644
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm

That's a crafty idea Damien 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 01, 2017 8:52 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup Indeed Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 8:00 am

A tricky bit of bending in the wheelhouse stair rail.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0646
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am

The soldering on the handrails  was trimmed wit dental burrs in my dremel (Tip Whenever you get dental work done ask dentist for the burrs they throw them away after every patient.)  

Where the the wheel covers sit are masked ready for primer Friday through Monday are listed for 24c to 27c degrees great for spraying, the paint will dry quickly.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0647

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0648
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 pm

looking magnificent Damien..........I love the shape of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 am

I'll have to paint behind the paddle boxes prior to fitting them as it will be almost impossible when fitted, hence the masking where they'll be glued down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am

Got most of primer on today the can ran out with one pass to go grrrrrr I'll dig out the airbrush and compressor tomorrow.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0649

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0651

The things you don't notice until primer goes on the rear deck level cabin balsa walls are very grainy, tomorrow I'll mix some talc with primer and fill the grain.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0650
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 am

The talc in the primer worked well and being a very warm 26c day I had to keep adding thinners as it was drying on the applicator brush.

I went out after dinner and sanded it smooth. 

29c tomorrow I will finish the primer and re-mask the rear deck.

While waiting for the primer to dry I started looking at the wheel cover positioning and found I should have cut cut the outer pair across the grain as the first pair with the grain wouldn't bend sufficiently, so used the originals as a pattern for the new ones.

Josie Olsen - Page 6 Img_0652

30c tuesday with a bit of luck I will start the hull painting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 4:09 pm

29 c...............sounds wonderful after the crap summer we've had..........I don't mind drinking ice cold castlemaine on a day like that, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Josie Olsen   Josie Olsen - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Josie Olsen
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories & Archived Build Logs :: Paddle Boats-
Jump to: