TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pilot Boat II

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 11:34 am

Before painting the deck I decided to varnish the hull after fitting the names which I cut yesterday. The varnish took longer to dry than normal, so I had to find something else to do Smile  I made the mast and also the sign for the roof of the rear cabin.
Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0538 Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0539
Given the change in the weather I decided to hand paint the hand rails etc to avoid delay. Thy have had one coat and will probably need another tomorrow.That's all I managed this morning - Grandson comes this afternoon - I have to save my energy lol!  lol!  lol!
Tomorrow I really must sort out fitting the rear well, then I can paint the deck and also fit some rubber fendering.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 pm

looking a treat Barrie..........your wood work is superb.........looking forward to seeing it on the water . neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:28 pm

I didn't get much done yesterday - delivery of a new TV in the morning and another invasion from Grandson Shocked  The TV takes more understanding than any computer, full of features and no information on how to use them Mad  - must be getting old.

So here is the latest update.
Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0540

The rear well is now finished - painted, benches installed and a fixing method devised. The rear hand rails are also installed and the decks have been painted and given a coat of matt varnish.
Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0541 Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0542

I keep thinking that I have nearly finished, then realise I haven't Rolling Eyes  I still have to glaze the windows, apply the rubber fendering, make the front hand rails - oh and re-fit the electrics! I have a searchlight and flag staff on order as well.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Today I glazed most of the windows, although its not too obvious from the photo. Just the front ones to do. I also made the handrails for the bow. At the moment they slot into the wheelhouse front, but I think this may have to change. Its quite tricky to get the wheelhouse on. If I can find a way of fitting a switch which doesn't need the cabin removing, then it can stay as it is.
As I was taking the photo I realised that the deck between the two cabins should be grey not white, so that has had one coat of dark grey.

Barrie

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0543
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Thumbup 2thumbsup

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks guys 2thumbsup I might get to finish it sometime Rolling Eyes . Domestic duties have interfered with its completion, but maybe tomorrow I will get a chance. It shouldn't take long - just a couple of fittings, the electronics to re-install and another coat of grey on the deck between the cabins - oh and the rubber fenders to fit.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:07 pm

A little more done. Smile  The fittings installed, the remaining windows glazed and the cabin door and hatch fitted. I've started sticking the rubber fender, still quite a bit more to do on that. Rolling Eyes
There is supposed to be a windscreen on top of the forward cabin. Not sure why as there is no steering position there - I'll have a go, but it may not get fitted.
Barrie

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0544
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Almost a week gone and I finally managed some modelling 2thumbsup

The Pilot boat is now almost complete. I have fitted the last few items and re-installed the electrics. I have made a windscreen, but its waiting for the glue to dry. Hopefully it will be fitted tomorrow and then a dip in the bath to sort out the ballast. With a bit of luck it will get a run on the lake on Sunday. I do have a feeling that it needs a different motor. Its got a 38x at the moment, which I suspect may be a 383 as it is very high revving - would be better with a 385 I think. I have abandoned the idea of a switch as its just too tight - I will disconnect the battery instead. Since I took the photos I have also cut off the forward rail at the upright as it was too fragile.

Barrie

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0545 Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0546
Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0547
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

You've done a great job of the build Barrie,  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 3:24 pm

I finally finished it today. I've changed the motor to an MFA 385 which I think will be OK on 6 volts. I've fitted the windscreen, and installed some ballast in the stern. All being well - that is if I remember to take the batteries, transmitter etc - I will try it in the water tomorrow. It currently has a 35mm prop and I'm taking a 30mm and a 25mm, although I doubt I will change it at the lake - too cold for that amount of messing about Rolling Eyes
IF it sails, I'll take some pics of it on the water.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm

is this for the auction barrie. or is it for your pleasure this time  Laughing they really do turn out nice boats when complete. happy sailing tomorrow .

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 5:53 pm

David,

I'll tell you when I see how it sails Laughing Laughing Laughing

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 pm

A reasonably successful maiden voyage Thumbup  It sailed very well, although the bow is a little heavy. A little more ballast in the stern and a lighter battery up front should improve things. Unfortunately I can't move the battery, except to put it across the boat, and my 6v NiMh wont fit like that. I do have a 6v AA pack which I will try next, otherwise  I need to buy a lightweight LiPo pack. That would also give me more volts which may be a good thing.

Apart from this the only problem was some water ingress - I think via the prop shaft, so a little grease will be applied Wink

I think I will be keeping this one for a while David Laughing Laughing

Barrie

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 Img_2011

(As usual I had problems trying to control the boat and take its photograph)

Last edited by barriew on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Looks great on the water Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks Damien - I'm quite pleased with it. I must try to find a couple of figures for it.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm

hi barrie,
glad you are happy with it 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup , I think these smaller boats handle better, and are better for putting in the car if you don't have much space, if you decide to nip of some where for the day it dosnt fill the boot up and you get some sailing in. I call them space savers Laughing Laughing

david

edit
 barrie,
what do you think about a white water line stripe just to break the surface water, I think it would look good and loose the black of water just thought Question .

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 7:29 pm

David

I think you are probably correct. In fact the plans show a white under water with a quite broad red stripe which broadens even more at the bow. I wasn't keen on the white, but may do the stripe in white now I know it sails OK.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm

As suggested by David, I have now added a stripe at the water line - it was planned to broaden out at the bow Wink I will keep a look out for some figures - its 1/16th scale I believe, otherwise its finished apart from some possible changes to the ballast and/or battery.

I haven't decided what to build next, and anyway I have to do some repairs to one or two of my boats, so no build logs from me for a while.

Barrie

Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0548 Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0549 Pilot Boat II - Page 2 101_0550
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 3:30 pm

hi barrie,

looks great with line on gives it a bit more depth to me, and gives a better finish 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Bravo Barrie She looks great.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pilot Boat II   Pilot Boat II - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pilot Boat II
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2