TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry

Go down 
+7
carlmt
pugwash
Footski
Kleban
Roadrunner
GWA84
Norseman
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry   Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Gordon, are you saying that the superstructure was in fact, welded steel throughout, and only painted aluminum.

if this is the case, then this surely lets Dave ( Norseman ) off the hook with his build, as he was wondering how to replicate the build in alli.............as this would no longer be exactly true to real life, the superstructure could actually be replicated in GRP and much easier to do so, and would no longer be contradictory to the origins of the real vessel.

neil.
Back to top Go down
Gordon Macdougall
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Gordon Macdougall

PostSubject: Yes, as far as I know, the superstructure is steel   Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 pm

I have heard this before, and my previous HIstoryLink quote supports this, that the superstructure is, in fact, steel which was then painted to resemble aluminum. I suppose a soldered, thin-gauge steel might be easier to work than aluminum. It would evidently be more true to the original build...but isn't aluminum softer, easier to work? hmmm....
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry   Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 am

Hi Gordon / Lads

nice to have you here and have your input. Yes the superstructure is welded Steel and painted Aluminium.

Re plans - I have some post build, I have those for the original Yerba Buena hull, and I am aware of thechanges made to the hull post the fire and during the Kalakala build. I have a wealth of information on her. Probably the most outside of the Kalakala org - unless you know better (I would be very pleased to find another fan). One detail I sady lack is the exact type of lifeboat she carried. I do have some poor pictures and a description from an employee on her. Tap room images have proved illusive too.

Bill Bailey, who was deck hand when Kalakala was both in Seattle and Port Angles said Life boats were larger than the Steel Electrics. They had eight oarsman and one was the Steering Oarman. There were two boats and the Oars were kept in them. The first mate was incharge of getting the boats ready.

Sadly I heard Bill died earlier this year following a fire ......... just in memory of him .....

When Kalakala was up at Port Angles they would move the cars around with tranmission jacks due to fact the the cars would unload out of the side door. They would line them up in semi circle in the front bow. He and crew member lost a 80 foot hose on the Kalakala when they try to wash the deck near the Ladies Powder room. Bill tried to pass the hose from top deck down through an open window hole on the rear. He felt like his friend had the hose below and let it go. All 80 feet of new hose went off the tail end. He had to report to Captain in Cafteria that they just lost his new hose

Ok my current problem is that I can't used autocad or the other thing- Delftship?. Now a truly very nice chap offered to, and made a good start on, plans for frames. He wasn't able to complete them at the time (but I hope maybe he will in the future) and so I simply delayed the project and started others. I will return to the Kalakala when my X-Bow is finished - I have invested too much time in her to let her go. She is the one vessel I wish to get perfect - I am sure Neil will understand my little obsession.

She remains a subject of much controversy and has recently been moved I hear - no new images of her berth just yet.

Gordon - please feel free to post just anything you wish here - even if it is just stories and incidents it will all be gladly recieved

Regards Dave ....... time for bed Sleep ........said Zebedee Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry   Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Dave.........have you seen this post.

neil.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768642
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry   Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kalakala - Art Deco Ferry
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2