TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calmac Ferry Raasay

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

Calmac Ferry Raasay Empty
PostSubject: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Up early this morning to pick up fibre glass hull Smile. This is going to be my first build with just a plan and no parts cut for me, so I can see a lot off trial and errors happening.Just to warn you this is going to take some time to build so the posts won't be as regular as the speed boat. The plans I presume are the same as yours Barrie. They have made the stern less square on the hull so hope this will solve the reversing issue Question ,time will see. I want to change this area to the same as the photo "nhp651" is that Neil? posted on his Mv Eigg build. What materials should I use and do I need to remove the hard coating in that area. It's in 1/48 scale and not 1/32 as I thought. Will have to start looking for fittings doors,ladders,rails,lifeboat etc in that scale on the net anybody got any recommendations. 

Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2812
Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2811
Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_0117
Crossed fingers all goes to plan 
Ian
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Ian

With that hull shape you shouldn't have any reversing issues. As for doors - I made my own, as I did with some fittings, but finding bollards and such like is easy as all you need is the correct size, never mind the scale.
If you want I think I can still cut you the Calmac Lion in Red Vinyl - when you get to that point. I can also cut the lettering in vinyl if you wish. I have it all set up on my computer.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 am

Barrie 

Did I read on your build that you used 2 x 280 motors. If so where these ok.
 I've all ordered 2 x 6 inch prop shafts and and a L/H and R /H 35mm props.
I was looking at a 6v 7ah lead acid SLA battery from  http://www.componentshop.co.uk/6v-7-0ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html what are your thoughts or should I go for a larger ah?

Ian Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Ian

Yes 280 motors - its not a speed boat after all lol!. Your battery should gives you days of running! I use a 6 volt NiMh or 7.2 volt LiPo. I gave up on SLA as they need to be regularly charged or they go stale, and I wasn't using them often enough. They are useful in scale models however as they provide some of the ballast lol!

Bsrrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 pm

At last I've managed to start work on the hull. After looking at the photos of the stern I decided to do a bit of chopping and reshaping to create the V shape. At the moment this just epoxied, will be sealing with fibreglass and filling when prop shafts are fitted. 

Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2810
Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2811
Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2812
Calmac Ferry Raasay Img_2813

Ian
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am

Ian

Any progress on  this build? I've just taken the saw to mine to try to improve its performance going astern. I'm aiming for a profile similar to your hull.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Sorry I’ve had no progress on ferry until I’ve finished this yacht
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry Raasay   Calmac Ferry Raasay Empty

Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry Raasay
Page 1 of 1