TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calmac Ferry RUM

Go down 
+4
Tug--Kenny
Stevercboat19
carlmt
barriew
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Calmac Ferry  RUM Rum11

This is my next project. This was covered in MMI in September 1994 as a plan feature, although there is not much construction detail in the article. I have the drawing and magazine, and when I get back from holiday I will be ordering the wood. I plan to build from Liteply, not 3/16ths ply which is what the original model was built from - seems a bit of overkill to me.  Calmac Ferry  RUM Icon_wink 

I still have to work out how to make the two stage ramp work - the first stage is quite easy, but I'm not sure about the second stage. Apparently these vessels used to drop the main ramp as they approached the landing, then drop the 'flap' when they were almost in.

I have noticed that the model is named RHUM, but looking at photos of the original I notice it is called RUM. Not sure why this should be, unless its because this is a stand-off scale.

Barrie

adengel likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, the wood was bought last week, and yesterday I made a start by cutting out the two sides. These were finished off today, and the hull bottom cut out - thanks good ness for card - It took three attempts to marry the plan to the actual! I have started sticking it together - quite a few fiddly bits at the stern, and the sides have to bend in at the bows, hence the groove. Trying to bend 6mm is not easy and one side has snapped. I don't think this is a problem as I plan to cover the hull with tissue and resin.
Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0834 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0835

The drive is by twin props. The drawing shows a one motor and pulley arrangement, but I have gone for two 260 motors. The prop shafts are very short, so I decided to try to make my own using two diameters of brass tube. The 'bearings' are soft soldered in. The shafts are waiting to be cut down when I work out where the motor is going.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0836 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0838

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 12:43 am

Great start Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Most of the basic hull is now completed. The piece at the bows was a bit complicated  Rolling Eyes, but with some filler I think it will be OK.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0839

All the corners need to be rounded and I have noticed that I forgot to make a cut out at the stern on each side, but I don' t think that will be a problem  Shocked When that is done, I will cover with tissue and resin, and also give the interior a coat of resin before fixing the motors, prop shafts and rudders.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0840

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 6:04 pm

I did a lot of sanding today, and also cut out the main deck. Taxi duties and my physio gym session took up too much time  Crying or Very sad sorry no pictures.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Today I fitted bearers for the main deck which is ready to mark and cut out the access for the motor and battery. I made the rudders today and fitted them temporarily, along with the prop tubes. I can now work out where the motors will go and then fix the prop tubes and rudder tubes. 
The article describing this model states that when he put it in the water it sat correctly on the water line, which is interesting as there is no water line shown on the drawing Rolling Eyes I need to decide where it will be so I can ensure the rudder tubes are above it. I am afraid the prop tubes will be below the line so I expect this will be a wet one.  Sad

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0841 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0842

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 1:31 am

Progressing nicely Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

As I said, it looks as though it is inevitable that water will come up the prop tubes, so today I drilled a hole to allow me to inject some grease. To cover the hole, I used some plastic tubing which was slightly too small, so a cut along its length means it grips the tube.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0843

After giving the outside of the hull a coat of Eze Kote resin, I started covering it with tissue applied with more Eze Kote. It will need several more coats and some rubbing down to give the final surface. 

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0844

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 3:10 pm

I finished covering the hull, and will give it a few more coats of resin over the next few days. 
Today I installed the motors and prop shafts. This will allow me to decide where to make the access in the main deck, which can then be cut out and stuck down. The supports for the superstructure sit on the deck, so I need to get it fixed.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0845 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0846
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 12:21 am

Coming along nicely Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 5:43 pm

There have been too many distractions this week  bounce, and not a lot of progress. What progress I did manage earlier in the week, I had to undo today  Sad. I made the deck from liteply, cut out the removable piece, fitted lips for it to sit on, then discovered it wouldn't lie flat  bounce Shocked Shocked
Today I remade it all in plastic card. I have also made the tillers - again the first attempt didn't work out so had to be redone. I am now stuck waiting for some clevis to come. I can't stick down the decks until I complete the linkages. Once these come I should be able to quickly complete the hull up to wheelhouse deck level as the parts are already cut out.

Barrie

Firstly the wooden decks. They don't look too bad, but that's because the whole deck is bowed - when the fixed part is glued down, the removable pieceis still bowed  Crying or Very sad

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0847 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0848

Then the plastic ones

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0849 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0850
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Here are some photos of the tillers and servo. I can't go any further until my linkages arrive. 
Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0851

I have cut some slots in the removable floor supports to allow me (I hope  Wink ) to access the screws holding the motor mounts in case I need to remove them. 
Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0852

That's about all I can do for now on the main hull. I think I can start on the superstructure as it is all built on a lift off deck.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 am

cheers cheers cheers Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
carlmt
Midshipman
Midshipman
carlmt

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 pm

GREAT!!!! Another ferry!!!! cheers  cheers  cheers

Today - the pond..........tomorrow - THE WORLD!!!! lol!

Excellent build there..........enjoying this 2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 7:24 am

Thanks Carl - on a somewhat simpler scale to yours  Very Happy Very Happy

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Yesterday I made the upper deck using 1/16th ply. Today I started on the wheelhouse. I'm making it out od the 1mm Foamex material I bought a while ago for the Design & Build 2. I had some problems as its not a straightforward shape, and the plan and elevation views on the plans don't agree  Shocked Shocked As you will see, some filling is called for  Rolling Eyes
Also today, the postman brought my servo linkages, so I have started installing them, but have run out of time to finish. The servo need to move into the centre and be turned though 180 so it clears the propshafts.
With the linkages in place, I can decide where to put the receiver and ESC.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0853 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0854 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0855 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0856
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 1:14 am

Looking really good  Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm

I have completed the installation of the servo linkages, and as a consequence have been able to complete the installation of the ESC and Receiver.  All installed and tested  Thumbup The switches and receiver are temporarily fixed with double sided tape - I will make a suitable bracket later. I also need to introduce some cable management Laughing  then I can fix the deck and the remaining bulkheads. That will enable me to complete the hull at the bows, and start on the loading ramp. I want to try to motorise that, but it will depend on the access I have when the deck is fixed.
Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0857 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0858 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0859 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0860
Back to top Go down
Stevercboat19
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Stevercboat19

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:31 pm

barriew wrote:
I have completed the installation of the servo linkages, and as a consequence have been able to complete the installation of the ESC and Receiver.  All installed and tested  Thumbup The switches and receiver are temporarily fixed with double sided tape - I will make a suitable bracket later. I also need to introduce some cable management Laughing  then I can fix the deck and the remaining bulkheads. That will enable me to complete the hull at the bows, and start on the loading ramp. I want to try to motorise that, but it will depend on the access I have when the deck is fixed.
Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0857 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0858 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0859 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0860
Wow this is looking very nice -- I wish I was this far along with my steam ship build. I am still trying to figure out the servo set up, its going to be a challenge to attach servos to a steam engine.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 6:08 pm

I was about to stick down the deck today when I realised that I had not waterproofed the interior Embarassed - so a quick coat of Eze Kote was applied. While waiting for this to dry, I tackled the wiring. I made a bracket to take the two switches, and stuck the Rx on with velcro. Next up, was sticking down the hull. This was done with superglue. I also stuck the forward bulkhead, which also helps to strengthen the deck. I was going to fix the rear bulkhead also but I need to add some detail as it will be very difficult once fitted.
Next job will be the area at the bows to create the opening for the ramp. 

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0865  Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0863 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0864
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 pm

giving me some very good ideas for my model of her sister ship with the hideous raised wheelhouse EIGG......... which I haven't got far on at all, lol
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Neil,

Yes Eigg does look very strange doesn't she. I think this is rather more attractive.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm

the skipper must have been a short ass who couldn't see over the bow ramp lol
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 6:16 pm

I have been adding some detail to the hull. Two doors  on the forward bulkhead, and mainly building up the bows ready for the ramp. Some trimming required here once the glue is hard.

I also added a door to the rear bulkhead and gave it a coat of paint - it is easier to do it now before it is fitted. I also painted the wheelhouse so that I can glaze it before fixing the roof  Smile

As you will see, this is a mixed media model.  Rolling Eyes So far I have used Liteply, ordinary ply, Foamex and plasticard, not to mention brass sheet, rod and tube for the rudders  and prop tubes. Very Happy Very Happy

I've just ordered a bicycle brake cable which I hope I can use to motorise the ramp. I was planning to use a 'snake' which the aero boys use but decided it would not be flexible enough.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0866 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0867
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 12:46 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 2:43 pm

I was a bit worried looking at the last photo - it looked as though I had got the front end all wrong, but thankfully when I checked today, its OK  Rolling Eyes
So today I spent quite a long time filling and sanding particularly the bow section. I also glazed and fitted the roof to the wheelhouse, and then added the funnel, and the structures alongside the funnel. These need sanding after the filler has dried hard. I was going to paint the wheelhouse deck, but my pot of green paint has gone hard  Sad. I'm going to Cambridge on Wednesday so may be able to buy a pot there. I did give the outside of the hull a quick spray with white primer, mainly to check for imperfections.
I've just ordered some ladders and a lifeboat from Mark (Windy) as there are four ladders required. I still have to build a ladder like structure for the mast to sit on.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0868 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0869 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0870
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 pm

After looking at some photos of the full size Rum, I realised that I had the bow opening too small, so I took about 8mm off each side. It was a bit hairy as I cut it with a coping saw Rolling Eyes Shocked, but it seems to have worked. I think it is still narrower than it should be, but that is due to the way I bent in the forward part of the hull sides.
The funnel has been sanded and given a coat of white to show up the imperfections. I have also started on the ramp. This is currently fixed to the hull with a couple of screws so tat it can be removed for adjustments. I can now start to motorise it. I would have expected this to have strengthening girders on the underside, but these are not apparent of the photos that I can find. There is still another 'flap' to add to the top of the ramp.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0872 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0873 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0874
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 7:45 pm

top marks Barrie.........enjoying every minute of this, warts and all......she's a real little treat.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks Neil. Looking at the photos again, I think I need something different for the ramp hinges. Those look far too clumsy  Crying or Very sad

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Today I have been experimenting with motorising the ramp. First of all I tried the bicycle brake cable I bought, but it is too stiff. Then I tried some lighter weight nylon covered cable, which is half promising. I am struggling for space to fix the servo and still be able to adjust the cable length. I also think the ramp needs to be more rigid, and some better hinges would also help. 

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0875

This was just an experiment - the tube for the cable needs to be aligned better, the ramp more rigid and needs to come above the bow so that the 'flap' can be wider, but I think it may work.  Cool

As a bit of relief, I also did some painting as my green paint arrived. Since the photos were taken I have masked up the hull ready to paint below the water line.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0876

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 am

nhp651 wrote:
top marks Barrie.........enjoying every minute of this, warts and all......she's a real little treat.

Ditto what Neil say's  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 pm

More painting  Wink The under water line is now finished, as is the white top of the hull sides. A black band goes between, but I'm leaving it a couple of days so the paint is really hard before I put on the masking tape. I'm having problems with my tape - think it must be old, or doesn't like the hot weather. The funnel is giving my grief trying to get clean lines.  Rolling Eyes
Waiting for paint to dry I thought it was about time I made a stand, but could only find some rubbish plywood in my stock. I have used that to make a temporary stand until I can buy some timber.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0877 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0878
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Cool the rudders double as brakes clever thinking.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Yes - I'm thinking of patenting the arrangement.  lol! lol! lol!

Unfortunately the soldering was not up to standard. Embarassed Embarassed  Now I have made the stand, they should be safer so I will re-solder the arm.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm

More painting today - I didn't wait for two days  Surprised. I also fitted and painted the three rubbing strakes on each side. I tidied up the paint on the funnel and have applied my Calmac logo which I cut from vinyl. When the paint on the roof has dried I can start on the railings.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0879
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 2:21 pm

I wasn't happy with the hinges I used in my testing, and couldn't find anything better among the model aircraft suppliers, so had another thought Idea I have made a new more rigid ramp from two layers of 1.5 mm card, and am creating my own hinge from plastic tube and brass rod. I just hope it works, as I will have to fasten the hinges to the hull with super glue, so no opportunity for a second attempt Shocked .

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0910

I have also continued with the painting - now almost complete apart from items still to build.
Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0911

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Looking better each time I view the progress Barrie. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 6:17 pm

I've just about finished painting the hull now.
Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0912 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0913

I've also added the Calmac name to the sides. 

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0914

Since I took the photos I have added the name to the bow and stern - first attempt was too big so I had to re-cut them. I've also added the 'flap' to the ramp ready for fixing to the hull. I just need to add a bar to the top outside edge of the ramp itself. The photo show it tacked in place with masking tape. I have also installed all the stanchions and railings - ready to paint tomorrow.

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0915

The front of the wheelhouse looks a bit bare - I think I might add the Calmac lion to make it look better. Photos of the full size vessel show something there, but they are not clear enough.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 2:41 pm

've had quite a productive session today  2thumbsup

The railings have all been painted - may need another coat, but a start. I decided to make the rear bulkhead and floor removable as access to the tillers etc is quite difficult, even with them in place. I think the rudders and linkages are going to be a weak spot  Crying or Very sad
All the decks have had a coat of Matt Cote to seal them, and I have fitted the portholes - this necessitated the moving of the receiver, easy, and the switches, not so easy.
Finally the ramp has been glued in place. I used epoxy glue as I didn't want superglue to run where it shouldn't  Rolling Eyes Once the glue has dried hard, I will add more to the top side of the hinge.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0910 Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0912  Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0913Calmac Ferry  RUM 100_0914
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 5:37 am

Wow she's a looker Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Minor disaster this morning Rolling Eyes I went out to the workshop ready to add more glue to the hinge for the ramp only to find the ramp on the bench. The glue had failed bounce. Not sure if the glue has come to the end of its life, or if it wasn't compatible with the plastic tubing. I decided to use thick super glue for the second attempt. I will reinforce and protect it with filler later.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 pm

she's a beauty Barrie......my daughter who loves the bones of Calmac just adores it. neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 am

Thanks Neil. Still struggling with the hinges on the ramp  Sad. Tried epoxy, tried superglue plus P38 and still failing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad If it fails again I have a cunning plan, but it wont be as neat.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:49 am

try plumbers pipe solvent.........glues almost every plastic known to man
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 am

Yes - but its plastic to wood that is giving the problem! My crafty scheme, if all else fails, is to stick the tubes to plastic sheet then screw that to the hull  Razz Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Barrie
Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 am

Can you glue some scrap polystyrene flat edge on to your hinge tubes then cut slits for installation like model aircraft hinges Barrie ?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 2:42 pm

I think I may have cracked it Damien, although testing was interrupted by the arrival of my 'assistant'. Rolling Eyes  I should know tomorrow.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
carlmt
Midshipman
Midshipman
carlmt

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm

DAMN!!!! This is a fine model 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup

I love it!!! So simple in form yet so effective in appearance.......

A real credit to your skills Barrie.  Looking forward to seeing her in her element Thumbup  Thumbup
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:36 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM Empty

Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry RUM
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next