TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calmac Ferry RUM

Go down 
+4
Tug--Kenny
Stevercboat19
carlmt
barriew
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Mark

I'll try to get some video tomorrow. To be really honest, the Arduino is overkill for this function, but I wanted to try to understand them, and my problem is finding a use for these things. I spent my life working in IT, but unless someone gave me a problem to solve, I could never think what to do with it Very Happy.
Let me know if you want the code.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Ha like me I like to find a problem that's not there and try and fix it with something that I know nothing about. 
Yer wouldn't mind the code just so I know where to start really.
Thanks Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Mark

I've sent you the code as a Personal Message. The video wasn't very good so it is no point loading here.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Barrie what cablE did you use in the end for the ramp ?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 7:36 am

The cable is plastic covered bowden cable running in the outer from a 'snake' as used in model aircraft. I have some cable if you want it.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks Barry. Really struggling getting the ramp how I won't it to go. 
Quite tricky with the extra ramp as well. Where did you get it from ?

Mark
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am

Mark

Came from ebay I think, but a bike brake cable would do the job. I found that you need a powerful servo - a standard one wasn't strong enough, and you have more weight to shift. To get the flap to drop you need the fixing for the end of the cable to be on the flap. I'll try to draw a sketch if you wish. 
The other thing I found was that the servo arm had to be stiff to prevent it distorting. The one with my heavy duty servo is OK, otherwise you can get metal ones.
Barrie
Back to top Go down
Markrider
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi Barrie 
I got the bits from eBay but its the wrong size cable its like 2 mm 
 So will go and get a brake cable I think. 
I think I sorted how to do the top ramp just waiting for some platisc five for hinges 

Mark
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Barrie 
Just ordered for my next build a 1/32 scale of this ferry. It's a fibre glass hull and plans. Will be asking you for help on the building of it especially the ramp mechanism 
Cheers lan
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Is this the one from Skelmersdale? (used to live there Mad) I hope the hull shape is better than mine or it won't go in reverse!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes that's the one Barrie . Small little lock up. The stern where the prop shaft come out doesn't look as square as your. The Bow and stern look the same angle. He said he's seen a few made up one with a drop down ram like yours and a remote truck on board. 

nhp651 has a nice photo of the prop shafts on the Raasay on his MV eigg build Was thinking of trying this. What are your thoughts

Ian

Last edited by Imcc on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 2:44 pm

I think the trick is probably to make sure that at least part of the props are below the hull. I have had an idea for modifying mine - I may get round to it sometime. For the ramp you need a powerful servo and some bowden cable.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Imcc wrote:

nhp651 has a nice photo of the prop shafts on the Raasay on his MV eigg build Was thinking of trying this. What are your thoughts

Ian

blimey folks........I forgot about that build project until you just mentioned it..........must dig it out one of these days and do a bit.....lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Ian

There is a build log of a double size Rhum on the Mayhem website - it was started on here, but the photos have vanished. Mark used a different approach to making the ramp operate, but he did have more space to play with Wink
When you get round to that I can give you some more details if you wish.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks that would be really helpful. Should be picking the hull up Friday all being well.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 11:55 am

Well - after quite a while I have decided to try to fix the going astern problem. I have taken the saw ( and other tools Rolling Eyes) to the hull and removed the 'step'.

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0711

This is the angle I'm aiming for

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0712

I have fixed some filler pieces to give the required angle.

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0710

I have no access to the inside in this area so I will have to be creative in sealing it up. Much filler I think as I want a rounded transition from the slope to the flat hull.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Thumbup Fingers crossed I hope it works
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks Ian - it wasn't much use as it was so its not really such a risk Very Happy. I did think about making a complete new hull, but this is hopefully easier.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0713

The new piece has now been fixed in place after drilling the holes for the prop shafts. Filler has been applied - and it will need more Very Happy Next job is to sand to shape to blend the new piece into the hull - as I say I am sure that more filler will be required before it looks right. lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Filler sanded. filled again and sanded again. Bare wood treated with sanding sealer. Prop shafts re-installed and a 'skeg' made. Paint has been applied to the new areas, and most of the underwater section of the hull. I'm not sure if I used the correct colour Rolling Eyes I have two very similar ones Humbrol 70 and 113 and it almost impossible to tell them apart. Shocked

If the paint is OK, next job is to re-install the rudders and then re- ballast. I removed all the lead for use in other boats before I decided to modify the hull, so will have to start again.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0714
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Rudders re-installed, railings on the forward bridge have been repaired and re-painted and a mast made as I had lost the original. Propellers have been reinstated and swapped again as I had them wrong way round. Rolling Eyes The hull has now had two coats of paint and two coats of matt varnish. The receiver is re-installed along with the controller for the ramp, and we are ready for ballast Thumbup The weather looks good for Sunday so I should be able to find out if it was worth the effort Shocked Shocked

Photos tomorrow when the paint and varnish is dry.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 pm

a good and quick conversion Barrie......looks great too.....

mind you......yer a bit optimistic about getting a sail on Sunday aren't you..............if the weather round your way has been anything like it has been up't norf.........I'd be planning for Easter Sunday at the earliest, lol
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 6:40 am

Neil,

That's about the only advantage I can see to living in North Essex. The weather here seems to miss all the extremes. Forecast for Sunday is full sun and light winds.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Its finished, and I think it works 2thumbsup Today I filled the test tank and sorted out the ballast - that went easier than I expected. Whilst it was in the water I thought I would check reverse, and it worked. The tank is only just over a metre, but it definitely moved backwards Shocked Shocked

This is the final shape of the hull compared to the original.

Barrie

Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Dscn0711 Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 100_0810
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Well, the weather was not as advertised - cool and windy and definitely not 24 degrees Shocked . However I had a successful morning at the lake. Rhum now leaves the ramp going astern as she should. 
I also took my re-ballasted mini Puffer and she sailed beautifully. She sits on her water line and sails well. I have the throttle end point at 60% which is still well over scale speed, and she turns well - I slightly enlarged the rudder as advised on the plans, but it was not necessary.

Sorry no pictures as no assistant today.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Glad you had a good day Barrie. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Great work. Won’t have any worries that mine will ok now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calmac Ferry RUM   Calmac Ferry  RUM - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Calmac Ferry RUM
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3