TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am

I have just bought a 105ft MMS hull from Sirmar, there is a build thread by Intrepid 75 but fear not, this will not be a repeat, I am going to concentrate on the superstructure, which I will make using FDM, (Fused Deposition Modelling) or 3D printing. The first job is to measure and copy the relevant parts of the drawing into a CAD program, I use DesignSpark Mechanical a free download from RS, the well known electrical wholesaler. It is easy to learn, and will save the files as STL files, ready for the next stage, which is slicing. As the 3D printer builds in layers, the STL file from the first operation needs importing into a slicing program, I use Simplify 3D, this is not free but there are several free programs available. After slicing, the resulting G code file is loaded on to an SD card and printed out. For this build I will be using a layer height of 0.1mm with 20% infill, infill in basically the inside of the part, and the more infill you use the more filament you use. 100%n infill is good for strength on small parts. I will be using PLA, Polylactic Acid or Polylactide to use the 'scientific' name. It is biodegradable but will last forever (ish) if well painted and varnished inside and out. I will assemble the parts with Epoxy, as proprietary plastic glues do not work with PLA. Actual printing will be carried out on a Prusa i3 MK2s machine. If there are other 3D printing folks out there feel free to chip in.
 So, on with the build, so far I have done the wheelhouse front and i side of the superstructure, and I am most pleased with the results, so I will crack on with the other parts this week. If anyone wants further info on processes involved, sing out and I will post screenshots of slicing, drawing into cad etc.

Back to top Go down
dimtim
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Looks brilant.
got to admit, now i've got a 3d print it brillant (once you get your head around cad lol).

keep hearing about PLA not good in the sun due to UV breaking it down. have you noticed this.

Just about to use petg filiment as meant to as good as abs but not have the issues printing like you do with abs.
I use fusion 360 and cura as all free, might end up paying for s3d.
Back to top Go down
http://alvastonpiratesmodelboatclub.co.uk/
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:15 pm

PLA ok if painted. I am doing these parts in grey PLA but I will be painting them. No had muck success with PET so far, I found it a bit stringy and globby and it eventually blocked the nozzle. I keep meaning to have a proper go and do a temperature tower to find the sweet spot....
Back to top Go down
dimtim
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 pm

cheers, that good to know about painting the bits. Going to be selling my printer soon for newer version now it know handy tool to have.
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Can't go wrong with a Prusa. I have 5 Chinese machines and although cheaper than the Prusa, the quality is nowhere near as good....
Back to top Go down
dimtim
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

cheers got a zonestar A8. it good but going to get the ender 3 after all the reviews i've seen.

think for how much they cost, it worth the investment.
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:18 am

The sweep winch has over 20 parts to it. There was very little detail on the plan but I found a good photo to work from. Can't find one of the port side so detail a bit sparse that side.

Last edited by helensdad on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

Most pleased with the results of my 3D printing efforts. The trickiest part is taking off the drawing and copying into Designspark Mechanical to make the files for printing.Majority of parts printed at 0.075mm, 1mm for larger parts. The Superstructure has turned out really well, sweep winch has ended up with over 20 parts and counting. Decks will also be printed.

Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am

Foredeck done, not quite right so may have to do another. Hard to get curve right, probably due to my inexperience with CAD. Also included is the photo of the sweep winch I worked from.

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:24 pm

This is looking excellent, keep up the blog I’m enjoying a new way to model without getting sore fingers. Very Happy

helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 pm

You said it RR. My hands are full of arthritis ans using a knife gets painful! My next 'tech' project is more than likely going to be a laser cutter, which is basically a 3D printer with a laser toolheas instead of a plastic extruder. Luxury! An electrical knife.....
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 pm

More work on the LL sweep winch.....
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 pm

LL sweep winch nearly finished. I cannot find any info on port side I need a photo so I can finish off. I have searched the internet to no avail. I am however quite pleased with the starboard side.
Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm

All the doors are done, 11 in all. I made jigs for each door and also made a little cutter with a fence to cut the parts to size. They are made from 2 x1 and 3 x 1 mm mahogany strip.

Back to top Go down
helensdad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 am

More progress on MMS, motor mount and decks..

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....   

Back to top Go down

Another 105ft MMS build, with 3D printed parts....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Military - Naval - Warships-
Jump to: