TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can't get speed controller to work

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

Can't get speed controller to work Empty
PostSubject: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Building the Flower Class Corvette.  All the electrics joined up and the rudder servo works but not the motor.  The set up is as follows:
Motor: Graupner Speed 600 (which definitely runs when connected direct to a battery)
Battery: Energ Pro NiMh 7.2v
Receiver: Futaba R202GF 2.4GHz
Controller:  GWS ICS-50 2 Amp (and I've also tried with a GWS ICS-100 5 Amp).

With the battery connected to the correct side of the controller and the controller plugged into socket B on the RX the servo works whether plugged into socket 1 or 2.  But the motor does not run.  

What silly mistake am I making please?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Not familiar with those ESCs, but 2 or even 5 amps seems a bit low for a Speed 600.
Can you post a picture? It might help to spot a wiring funny.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Speed controller   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 6:18 pm

New to this forum and when I click post reply I can't see the thing I'm replying to and even have to type in the title again.
Thanks for the suggestion that even a 5 amp controller is too small.  Sorry but I don't know how to post a picture but the wiring is straightforward - it says Battery and Motor on the casing of the controller so I've got that much right!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Richard

When you click reply, you get the reply form. If you scroll down then you will see all the posts in the thread with the latest at the top. (This assumes you are using a PC web browser not a tablet Rolling Eyes)
There is no need to retype the title.

As for the problem, as I said I'm not familiar with that ESC or in fact the Futaba Rx. I believe  there was an issue with Futaba 2.4Ghz Rxs and some ESCs, but not I think that one.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks Barrie.  Every forum is different but I now see how this one works!

Let's hope I get replies from people with the same Rx and ESC as mine.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Posting photos is also quite easy. If you hover over the icon just below the end of the Title Box on the post or Reply Form it says 'Host an Image'. This allows you to create an account on Servrimage (or something like that) There is no limit on the size of photos or how many you can store. There are instructions for its use somewhere on the Forum.

Here in fact https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t39-uploading-photo-s-tutorial-update-june-2016

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 6:54 pm

Richard

A useful tool for solving some RC problems is a Servo Tester. These can be bought on eBay for just a few pounds, or from Component Shop for about £10. In the absence of a second TX/Rx combo, one of these would check that the ESC was working.
The other alternative would be to visit a local club to seek help. Not sure where in the country you are so can't help with a contact.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks again

I am in SW Wiltshire just E of Shaftesbury and would be delighted to find a nearby expert.  My only RC contact is with a bloke who flies high powered aeroplanes - not this sort of low tech stuff.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySat Jun 17, 2017 1:12 am

Reasons motor won't run....

Speed controller is under powered a 600 size motor requires and initial burst current of 11-15 amps and drops to around 1 in continuous use, hence a 20amp esc is required anything less will just blow up ( literally)

Suggest a mtronics 20 or 25 amp esc ( eithers fine both same price)

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Mtroniks-marine-Speed-Controllers.html

That will fix the motor issue.

Other suggestions might be.... esc data lead is plugged into wrong channel on reciver, or plugged in backwards.

Another issue might be that the esc does not provide the reciver power ( no Bec, battery eliminator circit) in which case a separate 6v power pack is required to power the reciver allowing control of the esc.

Suggest again replace esc with a known brand that has a Bec built in and is able to support the motors draw amperage

On a side note if you need help uploading photos and such check the help section on the forums main page for detailed guides to help you use the forum.

RR

Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 am

On another note that high tech aircraft expert will be able to help. The electronics of boats, cars, aircrafts are the same with in reason, only differences would be engines or brushless gear but anyone who's flown aircrafts will be familiar with all things electronic, it may be worth having a chat with your friend.

RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySat Jun 17, 2017 7:11 am

Roadrunner

Thanks.  I already have a 15amp Mtronics - should I risk it or must I get a bigger one?
I don't think I've plugged in the existing controller incorrectly - the battery goes to the Rx via the controller and the rudder servo, also connected to the Rx, works.
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySat Jun 17, 2017 10:38 am

Richard

First of all I would very much question the fitting of a Speed 600 in a Flower Class corvette. The 600 series are all pretty much high-revving racing motors - even the ECO has a no-load speed of 18,000 RPM and a no-load current drain of 2A. These models are typically powered by a 385 motor, or maybe a very 'soft' 500-sized one such as the Mabuchi 555 or MFA 540LN.
I've looked at the spec for the speed controller and it appears to be a forward-only type i.e. the Tx stick needs to be fully back with the motor stopped, and you can't obtain reverse. 2A is almost certainly too low a maximum current, and as this unit doesn't have an automatic cut-out then it's quite possible that you've already killed it without realising. IMHO you are banging your head against a brick wall. It's lovely when you stop!
I would advise you to swap the motor for one of those I have mentioned. Either the 540LN or 555 have the same OD diameter, fixing screw spacing and shaft diameter as the Speed 600. Use your 15A Viper ESC, which is not only Forward + Reverse but also a very popular and "known" unit with a more-than-adequate continuous current capability. You can obtain the 540LN from MFA themselves http://mfacomodrills.com/ and the 555 (and 385) from Component Shop http://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor.html

Dave M
Back to top Go down
RichardaBeattie
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySun Jun 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks Inertia.  I thought the 600 looked a bit big and it certainly roared away when I connected it straight to the battery.  But digging it out is not going to be easy - I really fixed it down!  Fortunately I was going to test everything on the water before putting the decks on so at least I can get at it.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work EmptySun Jun 18, 2017 8:03 pm

In the case you can't get the motor out to replace it ( which should be done as standard for general maintenance. I.e shaft cleaning and regreasing, motor burn outs, and other odd jobs) The only thing I can suggest is simple...

Don't use full throttle!

As for using the mtronics esc, 15 should be ok in a 600 I always go for at least a 20 just on the safe side ( stall current issues And all that) but I know a 600 will run on a 15 fine.

We could really do with a photo of your wiring... that might help diagnose a wiring fault.

Another issue that occurred to me is dose the propshaft turn freely? You may have tightened the nuts That are ment to lock the prop to the shaft and the coupling to the shaft, incorrectly and locked the shaft solid ( this is a simple thing to overlook many shafts have the threads just past the sleeve making it easy to have the nuts turn and lock themselves to the sleeves bushings.

I would also try the esc's data wire into different reciver ports to see if you have matched the esc with the right channel. If your still having issues but k ow the servo channel works, plug esc into servo channel and test to see if the motor works, this will eliminate one problem.

RR

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't get speed controller to work   Can't get speed controller to work Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't get speed controller to work
Page 1 of 1