TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

suggestions please

Go down 
+6
Ole Vauger
mattycoops43
Footski
cpt jack sparrow
Mark
phil winks
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Last go,Weymouth?
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 pm

lol! not even close Matt rum would be closer scratch close Chris but sorry nil points Laughing
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Bridport?
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 pm

lol! think you need to look closer at the chart chris there is a very distinctive feature found no where else on the approach to a seaport that is on a south flowing river
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Give up,gone fishing!! lol.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:31 pm

lol! look closely at the area of sea abve the glue stain its a man altered feature and an iconic sight of the city that the port serves however the port does not have the cities name more the counties scratch scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm

i've lost the plot here...WHAT PORT!!!!

super woodworking by the way phil....wish mine were half as good i'd be pleased,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 pm

ahh, i see......looks a little like the walled harbouir at Ramsgate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Now I've had a taster, I'll say Falmouth....... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mat
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Close but wrong county Matt, Bigger much bigger Neil and unless I missed something ramsgate harbour isn't on a river, richborough port near by is but is on an easterly flowing river not many ports on a southerly flowing river in the uk should narrow it down.

lets give you the picture I took the chart from

suggestions please - Page 2 Plymou10

this just may give it away lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Plymouth Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Another go Devonport Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mat
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Now here's the twist Matt Plymouth is certainly the city but not the port lol but your close enough the port is devonport one time home of much of our navy. there is another harbour there in the Plymouth barbican but that's not officially a port just a marina. the feature I refered to is the breakwater so big even at 3 miles out it features prominently on almost any postcard of the area

lol started typing this before your second post matt enough said lol
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Right an unscheduled afternoon break from work gave me a little time to do a little more. after casting 28 100g lead ballast weights I used 27 of them to get her trimmed to water line, she is now one heavy boat Exclamation Exclamation also re-useing a tatty old bbq cover I've now got a tarp for the ships boat and it is neatly stowed for sea.

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo043 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo044 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo045 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo046
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 pm

looks good Phil. planning a video of her in motion?
if I was ever lucky enough to get an afternoon off work swmbo would soon find me something to do lol!
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:01 pm

phil winks wrote:
Right an unscheduled afternoon break from work gave me a little time to do a little more. after casting 28 100g lead ballast weights I used 27 of them to get her trimmed to water line, she is now one heavy boat Exclamation Exclamation also re-useing a tatty old bbq cover I've now got a tarp for the ships boat and it is neatly stowed for sea.

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo043 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo044 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo045 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo046
I bet that took some doing,I/ve seen your casting!!!lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks scally yes a video will eventually be forthcoming when I get a chance to conduct proper seatrials!

Chris your one cheeky sod lad nothing wrong with my casting mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 pm

phil winks wrote:
Thanks scally yes a video will eventually be forthcoming when I get a chance to conduct proper seatrials!

Chris your one cheeky sod lad nothing wrong with my casting mate Very Happy

Not in the workshop no!!lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

That's looking really nice Phil, Oh and thanks for posting that little map, I have been looking for a fishing chart for the chart table in the shrimper, think that will do the job.

Alan
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Here you go Alan the link I used to get that chart lots of interesting titbits in here

http://www.toddchart.com/shop/search.asp?Category=ADMIRALTY+LEISURE+FOLIOS_105
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:40 pm

A little more done to her and hopeing for a proper sea trial next weekend.

Basically the mast and boom for the "ketch steadying rig" (all from brass) and the boat handling derrick (from softwood dowel and brass tube)

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo047 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo048 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo049 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo050

There's still lots of deck clutter, the nav lights, cabin and wheel house lights, a winch and some crew to add but otherwise she's definately ready for initial sea trials and a visit to wiltshire next sunday seems a great chance to try her out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Looking good Phil. Very Happy Very Happy Good luck with the initial trials. suggestions please - Page 2 Thumbupsuggestions please - Page 2 Thumbupsuggestions please - Page 2 Thumbup
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks Matt I'm full of confidence for the initial trials after the tests in the paddling pool she looks to have a bit better than adequate power and good forward manouverability although in reverse a straight line appears to be the best to expect probably needs a more balanced rudder particularly as she has a hugely deep fore foot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 pm

yes, phil.excellent matey....look forward to seeing her in her natural environment.

neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: 1st sea trials completed succesfully   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:54 pm

here we go chaps and chapess. a video of her 1st sea trial

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/phil-0107/The%20Barbary%20Pirate/?action=view&current=theBarbaryPirate1stseatrials1.mp4

pretty successfull I'd say although some of the ballast weight has to come out of the bow as at full speed she dives quite a lot at the bow.

sorry about the poor quality of the video really need to upgrade the camera
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Very nice Phil another model well made, seams to sail well, good job

RR

phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks Aron as I said a minor issue at full ahead but removing 200g of lead from amidships and placing 100g in the stern hopefully has sorted that. still some detailing to do Bollards and all the usuall deck clutter plus a few crew then I may be totally happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Looks great Phil well done.
Damien.
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm

smart. very smart. do like the look of that. very nearly convert me from the rag & stick........ Shocked
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Damien and wow quite a compliment that scallwag many thanks
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 pm

The lights have gone on at last and the plan for the weekend is to make the bollards, a fire extinguisher for the wheel house, some gas bottles on deck and hopefully a start on the working anchor/deck winch. well those are the plans anyway lol!

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo051

Oh and the crew has been chosen from that seamans agency known as "George Turner Models"

these 3 dodgy looking characters

suggestions please - Page 2 The_cr10

and their ship has been named

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo052

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo053

yes there's a nod to the boat that provided the inspiration and the fact that I "robbed" my ideas from her lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:27 pm

well as intended the fire extinguisher, gas bottle and bollards have been done

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo058

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo057

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo059

also done are the rollers and dummy electric motor for the dummy deck winch

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo060

"Dummy deck winch"!! I here you cry, "surely you said a working deck winch"!!

well the working bit is hidden below decks conveniently tacked with hot melt glue to the battery, this should allow it to be easily removed should the bty ever need replacing

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo061

and if you watch this video you'll see it works pretty well

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/phil-0107/The%20Barbary%20Pirate/?action=view&current=Video0076.mp4

all thats left for this weekend is to put the dummy deck winch together and fit it just forward of the tube leading to the chain locker and the real winch, so if the weathers half decent I may just take her for another trip to the pond
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Excellent, i love the extra details, even working winches of some form, always gives the model more 'life' and less static.

Good job.

RR

Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:07 pm

A man of his word. Winch that works.
This is a great boat phil.
It appears that you have worked hard and quickly with this boat.
Envy you the ability to work quickly towards the target.
Ole Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks Ole I have really enjoyed building this one and thats a lot of the secret when I struggle is when a build goes on the back shelf + it helps when the materials are allready waiting in the shed as most of them were for this one
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 8:48 pm

She is now ready for the crew to board with the addition of the dummy winch at the bow. some things I feel I could have done different, the anchor handling rig could have been made to turn, with dismountable saftey chains, also the portholes on the hull could've been glazed the same way as those on the cabin roof, and the block on the derrick boom could've been bigger, otherwise I'm totally satisfied with the way she's come together

I'm once again posting clickable thumbnails to original size images so you can see her in minute detail warts and all.

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo062 suggestions please - Page 2 Photo063
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 pm

You have an eye for detail Phil. Sure it helps when the materials are waiting.
But I spend a little too long construction time anyway.
Ole Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Thasnkyou Ole just hoping the crew turn up in time for a show I'm attending at the end of the month Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:38 pm

We have to believe that they do. If not, they are left stranded.
Crossing fingers Phil.
Ole

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 pm

the crew have arrived in good time for a proper maiden voyage some time this weekend prior to next weekends static show at the Honiton hill steam rally

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo064

suggestions please - Page 2 Photo065

all courtesy of George Turner Models
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Looks to be a scary bunch Phil.
Allows associations to the 30's, when bootlegging was a lucrative job.
Here in Norway, people used boats frequently to this type of trade.
Ole:lol!: lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 am

they do look a slightly rough bunch don't they maybe smugglers will just have to watch out for customs cutters on the pond lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: finally finished   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

I think I can consider her finished now she's trimmed just about right sails faultlessly and although in time I may add more deck detail she's as complete as I want her for now

video of her latest outing

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/phil-0107/The%20Barbary%20Pirate/?action=view¤t=Video0078.mp4

and the direct link to her photobucket album detailing all of the build to date

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/phil-0107/The%20Barbary%20Pirate/
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 pm

that looks real good on the water Phil. you must be proud of her. well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 pm

i agree phil........looks superb.......well done matey.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks lads I am indeed pleased she is going somewhere near top speed in the vid and to be honest its a little too much but at half ahead she really looks the business

Now to sort the "lady sarah II" one for you to keep an eye on Neil the brushless set up is prob ideal for your current build but with a 40mm prop on each motor on direct drive and she should fly if you use a 3s 3000mah LiPo on each motor remembering to disconect the red wire on one of the esc's I'll post a link to the components on the lady sarah II thread
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Just a quick up date to this thread

I got dragged out Easter sunday dispite feeling pretty dismal and rough and thankfully the day turned out sunny and pleasant the only photo I took all day was of the "Barbary pirate" at anchor and very pleased with her and the photo I was

suggestions please - Page 2 Barbar12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm

great shot there Phill...............she looks lovely.

neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks Neil I'm definately going to get a better camera this year and revive my love of photography
Back to top Go down
stafen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 am

Mark wrote:
With your woodworking skills Phil,the hull would look great,if it was overlayed with wood,clinker style.
Ideal for a fishing boat of older style.
Mark

Agree with your opinion!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

suggestions please
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next