TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

suggestions please

Go down 
+6
Ole Vauger
mattycoops43
Footski
cpt jack sparrow
Mark
phil winks
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 pm

I have received (very kindly) a fibreglass hull from my friend Chris (Captn Jack Sparrow) Rolling Eyes a hull that I guess is intended to be a classic drift/trawl fishing boat with a nice rounded cruiser stern and would love some input as to what I could do with her. ie: some photo's of possible projects for it After a sort through my boxes this morning I appear to have just about all the internal hardware/electronics save for an rx and wood is never a problem in my shed so until I have some deck fittings and a reliable veneer source for my next project "the scamp" this looks like being an intriguing interlude once the lady Sarah II is complete

suggestions please Photo010 suggestions please Photo011 suggestions please Photo012

Phil

Last edited by phil winks on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
Mark

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 pm

With your woodworking skills Phil,the hull would look great,if it was overlayed with wood,clinker style.
Ideal for a fishing boat of older style.
Mark
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Mate I think she was intended for a Socttish ring netter!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Aint that just what I thought Chris properly called a seine or purse net I believe and many of those have been converted to cruising yachts and now I come to think of it there is an article on one in one of my "model boats" back numbers so the search begins.

Mark your so right timber overlay is definately one way to go and with care would (or even wood :lol!) look so good

Phil
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I've made a start on this hull fitting the propshaft skeg and rudder and most of the deck supports. these last items may look a little bulky but its for a reason the support round the edge will form a solid seating for the railings I intend to install. as you can see some surgery was necassery to achieve the shearline I've settled for and she will get an oak planked deck and wheel house with a ply cabin roof over where the forward hold should be much like the Barbary T currently berthed at Watchet (1st pic)
suggestions please Barbar10 suggestions please Photo010 suggestions please Photo011 suggestions please Photo012

the ships boat along side is one from MMB his larger one I think! the intended motor is a 12v 540 and will be powered by a 3s1p LiPo with a discharge protector simply because its a bty I have in my box and will give good run times and be easy to change due to its diminuitive size.

ps the "Barbary T is up for sale if you have a spare £45,000 kicking around

link

http://www.classicyachtbrokerage.co.uk/index.php?page=barbary-t

Last edited by phil winks on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice work Phil. Smile

Mat
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks Matt I do my best geek

now just a little more progress, the hull is painted and the motor fitted. The sharp eyed amongst yo will have noticed that the motor isn't the planned 540 (way to fast reving so i looked about the shed for a tamer motor and came up with this 750 low drain out of a bty drill which on 6v (yes a bty change too) runs nice and steady, yes its got a lot more tourque than is needed for the fitted 35mm prop but short of buying a new motor this is the best I have in stock and the ballast effect of this heavy motor will save on lead.

suggestions please Photo013 suggestions please Photo014
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:46 am

Blimey Phil, You will have her on the water in a month at this rate!! bounce
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

lol! Hope so mate Very Happy in fact if the domestic test tank (aka the bath counts this morning)
Back to top Go down
mattycoops43
Midshipman
Midshipman

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

Looks good, I reckon it will have a lot of character, going by the pic of the real one. Looking forward to seeing it. I think it might be one for the weathering stick?
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Looking good mate,are you sure that's yhe hull I gave you!! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:29 pm

cheers Matt and Chris think the weathering stick may come into use some time soon and that will be a learning curve for me.

I now have all the electronics etc fitted and can concentrate on the deck planks so I have a decision to make as I have both oak and mahogany available. basically the decision will be made by what I end up teaming with the teakstained hull on my other project the "Lady Sarah II"

What I do like about this hull is the copius room for the hardware

suggestions please Photo015 suggestions please Photo016
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 pm

just a little more done well not such a little when you consider the 3 hrs sanding the deck planks back till I was happy with them lol!

Basically the deck planks fitted, forward cabin roof started and tiller mechanism hatch fitted, the forward cabin roof is from 1mm styrene sheet and the tiller hatch 0.25mm brass sheet

suggestions please Photo018
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey Phil. This looks good. At this speed it will be on the pond this summer.
What type of boat is it Phil?
I have seen the full size picture of Barbary T Phil.
See that she has a very large front hatch
Has she been in service as coastal transport
Regards Ole Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Ole the Barbary T is a 1910 steam picket boat used to service naval ships originally. she saw service in other capacities after the wwII as a coastal transport before being converted to a luxury live aboard motor yacht her steam engine replaced with a modern diesel and hold area converted to real luxury accomodation. I would like to point out this grand old lady is merely the inspiration for the detailing of this hull and as such she is not a true scale copy (the sterns the wrong shape to start with lol)
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Doesn't matter what shape it is Phil, it still looks good, what are you going to seal the deck with?

Alan
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Alan not too certain at the min could be a simple coat or 12 of yacht varnish but may teak stain it 1st toying with the idea of european oak for the wheel house, which if teak stained comes up a lovely colour and would contrast nicely with those indonesian mahogany deck planks simply varnished. Also I need to find something to make the handrail stanchions from the Barbary T has metal with a wooden handrail I believe and thats a possibility and would be unusuall
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 am

The handrail could be a bit of a challenge, look forward to see how you go about that.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey Phil.
She is certainly a great boat. And it's apparent that someone has taken good care of her.
it will be interesting to see what your choice of wood will be.
Regards Ole Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Right I've gone for a simple yacht varnish finish to the deck and tomorrow the bench saw and planer is coming out to prepare the wood for the wheel house and companion way it will be a challenge to get the oak thin enough to be usable with out looking to heavy but its worth a try. Also today I've done a bit of metal work and made the bow roller, now I really need to sort out a good anchor winch, working if possible, I've also done the portholes to the main cabin roof, and fitted fake ones to the hull for the forward cabin/heads and the engine room. I really should've thought of these before fitting the deck, then they could have been glazed properly with clear resin.

I've also settled on the final colour scheme. Obviously red anti foul / black hull, then white to the sides of the cabin roof with forest green anti slip in the roof itself, the same to the tiller hatch and the wheel house in a teak stained european oak with a green roof. hopefully the name at the bow, stern and on the front of the wheel house in gold, now the gitty question of a name! some thought will be needed although I'm thinking something that acknowledges the inspiration taken from the Barbary T.

suggestions please Photo019 suggestions please Photo020 suggestions please Photo021
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Just to remark on your comment about the "Barbary T" there Ole if you see her in the flesh in Watchet harbour she actually looks a little sad at the moment, and in need of hauling out of the water for some tlc to the hull exterior. Nothing major but definately needs doing soon
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 pm

It looks very good Phil. Assuming that you're going to have a more powerful mast than this on the Barbary T.
Too bad that maintenance is discouraged. A trend here as well. You buy an old distinguished fishing boat. And try the best of intentions to give it new life as a pleasure craft.
Suddenly, money and courage gone.
regards Ole Sad
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Not sure what you mean about a more powerfull mast Ole. The foremast is infact original (9" thick tree trunk affair) and is actually a lifting derrick, the aft mast is a modern steel affair and carries the ketch steadying rig (helps keep the bow into wind, and if you look closely the rudder coupling to the boom can be seen) a modification fitted when she was converted to a yacht
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Had a bit of a struggle yesterday trying to construct the wheel house and decided to take a break, with a fresh head this morning and attacking it differently the wheel house is coming together. my 1st thought when this frame whent on the boat was hell its too big but remember 1/24th so that ships boat/tender is 12 foot and actually its about right being a scale 8 foot from the deck to the roof and a 9 inch step in makes it 7 foot 3inch headroom inside (less under the cross beams) just shows how small the boat really is.

suggestions please Photo022
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Smile Looks good to me matey.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Just a little progress on the wheel house today. Final decision on the woods used was european oak frame with birch planked panels all left as narural and varnised.

suggestions please Photo023 suggestions please Photo024

The inside is clad with 0.5mm styrene sheet and it is this that forms the internal glazing frame. Next job is to fit out the inside including a 1/24 figure at the helm. I intend to also fit a small galley to the rear of the cabin. Not looking forward to scratch building the spoked ships wheel though.
Back to top Go down
Ole Vauger
Midshipman
Midshipman
Ole Vauger

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Sorry about the mast Phil. It seemed to be a little thin to me. But 9 ", well it should be good. With the pace you have now you are ready to the weekend.
What have you made ​​the dinghy of Phil?
The superstructure looks very right to me.
Regards Ole
Back to top Go down

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:34 am

phil winks wrote:
Not looking forward to scratch building the spoked ships wheel though.

Tooth picks worth considering as a place to start on the ships wheel Phil ?
Damien.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:52 am

Hi lads thanks for the comments when it comes to the ships wheel its the turning of the rim that I find fun damien thinking I need to employ the full sized method with the full six fellows so the grain runs round the wheel and at this size it will be fiddley lol!
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 am

Good luck with that mate! lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 pm

i've spent a little time detailing the inside of the wheel house fitting benches a galley the binnacle and throttle, the wheelhouse door is also made and I've made a start on the ships wheel but more of that later when I'll fully detail its construction in a single post (sort of a mini master class)

suggestions please Photo025 suggestions please Photo026 suggestions please Photo027 suggestions please Photo028
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Making the ships wheel   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am

Right here we go how to make a tiny ships wheel (30mm to outside of handles)

I start with 6, 30 degree isosceles triangles of 2mm thick wood that are glued flat together to form a hexagon this is clamped to a block to keep it flat while drying then this process is repeated on top of the 1st hexagon and the joins offset this gives a long glue line for strength

suggestions please Photo029 suggestions please Photo030 suggestions please Photo031

once dry the 2 faces are sanded flat to remove excess glue and the centre drilled to accept the bolt that you will use as the spindle for the wheel. in this case a 4BA brass bolt 2 washers and nut.

The bolt should be long enough to be used to secure the wheel either in your lathe or in my case a drill clamped to the bench. and then the outer diameter is turned of 1st then a cut of tool is used to separate the rim from the hub. then turn the hub down to the required diameter and the head of the bolt is also reduced to an acceptable size.

then the rim and the hub are drilled in 6 places for the spokes, the joins on one side make a good guide as to where to drill

all that is left to do then is to use cocktail sticks turned down to the required dia (use sandpaper with the stick in either the lathe or in a drill) to assemble the wheel

suggestions please Photo032 suggestions please Photo033 suggestions please Photo034
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Very good Phil. Well done .

cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Thats brill matey,your getting alot better at this detail lark. affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks a lot lads while in the zone, so to speak I've glazed the windows and made a start on the thorny issue of the handrails, I've settled on stainless stanchions and grab rails on the wheel house and am still trying to decide on whether to use styrene sheet for the rail for strength and ease of working or to laminate from very thin ply, plastic will bend more easily and given that it will be painted should be alright. thin ply will have to be laminated to make the bend permanent and given that the rail is 2 x 3mm could be a pain to glue adequately

suggestions please Photo035 suggestions please Photo036
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 pm

I bit the bullet and attempted to construct the handrail from wood. What I ended up with was balsa strip which after soaking in the dogs paddling pool bent very nicely to shape, yes its a tad fragile but with my normal careful handling should survive ok. also done and awaiting paint are the anchor derrick and the jackstaff, the companionway to the cabin roof is complete and the stroke of genius for the day was the addition of an anti spray sheet around the rear deck, made from an offcut off a rollerblind

slowly she's starting to please me Very Happy

suggestions please Photo037 suggestions please Photo038
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Just one comment mate,the colour of the rudder hatch looks out of place,but other than than that she looks fantastic. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 6:20 pm

dooh thats cos neither the rudder hatch nor the cabin roof have been painted yet mate thought you'd recognise primer when you saw it lol! lol! if you go back about 4 posts or so I did say the cabin roof wheel house roof and rudder hatch will be forest green with white sides to the cabin roof Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 6:44 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Here you go Chris the right colour is on all of her now although some area's need some satin lacquer applying, Still lots to do, mostly deck clutter such as gas bottles, buoyancy rings, a winch prob a fire extinguisher somewhere, a few crew members and anything else I think of including the main derrick and mast for the ketch steadying rig. Oh and as is apparent from the photo's about a pound of lead and or a heavier bty to get her down to the waterline. One really positive result is that the diminutive 35mm prop has plenty of grunt for scale speeds

suggestions please Photo039 suggestions please Photo040 suggestions please Photo041 suggestions please Photo042

For the observant amongst you yes I've spotted the slight drop to the handrail on the 3rd photo and fixed it already and for those of you familiar with the coastal charts of this sceptred isle no prizes but who can be 1st to identify the port she is heading for from the chart on the table and sat nav screen on the laptop.

Finally just in case anyone hasn't sussed it yet, all the photo's in this thread are click-able for a full size image
Back to top Go down

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Looks good Phil. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Mat
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks Matt what no guess at the port lol!
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Thats better mate and just think,if I had not given her to you she would still be sat on top the book case!!.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm

just needed a little TLC mate and a proud boast now apart from the running gear (excluding the motor) and the ships boat, everything on and in her came from one scrap bin or another truly a recycled boat. now come on lad have a stab at the port lol! one little clue there is a glue stain in the centre lower section of the chart not a huge island Embarassed
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Looks like the Isle of Wight.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 pm

thats the glue stain your looking at chris and the isle of wight isn't a port mate so nill points lol!
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Avonmouth?
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Sorry nill points come on folks at this rate Chris will have worked his way round the entire coast before any one else has a go lol!
Back to top Go down

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 pm

No !!! I don't like port........... only whisky, lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Mat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

suggestions please Empty
PostSubject: Re: suggestions please   suggestions please Empty

Back to top Go down

suggestions please
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next