TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Next Project - Marina II

Go down 
+3
troutrunner
nivapilot
barriew
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm

I have now finished the wheelhouse - the rack for the fishing poles etc has been added. This is now ready to mount on the hull when its been painted.

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0416

On the hull, I realised that I hadn't cut the freeing ports, or drilled the holes for the fenders, so I have done that. I have also fitted the two bolts that will be used to mount it on a display plinth. The bolts will be covered with some brass tube. 
Having done these little jobs it was time to start masking and painting. Masking done - where's the paint? I don't have any red/brown for the underside Mad Mad bounce bounce I hope I can get some at the local art shop tomorrow otherwise it will have to be mail order Crying or Very sad I would use a red oxide spray but its too cold for spraying at the moment.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0417
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I have been painting the hull - still not finished, but just one more colour to go Wink Although it doesn't really show on the photo, there is a band of satin white next to the brown, and the bulwarks have also been painted with Satin White. Just a band of dark blue to go  Thumbup

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0418
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 am

The painting is almost finished 2thumbsup Just some touching up to do, then a coat of SatinCote to bring the colours together.

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0420

I couldn't resist trying some of the superstructure on her. I have also mounted her on a temporary base - I will order a nice hardwood plinth.

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0419

Still a long way to go - all the masts and rigging which is quite daunting.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 11:44 am

The hull painting is now complete, and its had a coat of SatinCote. It shouldn't need anything further as its not going to get wet Laughing I have started making the masts - first one tapered and the rungs fitted - and that's the easy bit Rolling Eyes
My plinth has arrived and been varnished ready to drill and mount the hull. If I don't mount the hull before I start fixing the deck furnishings, it will be more difficult, so that's the next job.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0421
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 4:37 pm

hi barrie,
I must say I love how the stem flows right through to the stern, it really is a stunning boat and you have made great finish to it. Very Happy shame you cant wet its bottom as it would get a few looks and comments on the water. cheers

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

The plinth was drilled and the bolts glued into the hull. Some brass tubing cut, and then the hull fixed to the plinth. In the ideal world, the posts would be vertical to the plinth, but they aren't Rolling Eyes. I thought I had drilled the holes at the correct angle, but obviously not. As it will probably end up in my office, no-one else is going to see it lol!
I have started fixing the deck fittings - the cabin and forward fish boxes are not yet fixed. There are a few bits and pieces to make before getting too much clutter on deck, and of course the masts to finish.

Barrie 

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0422
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm

I have now reduced the height of the forward support so the hull sits better. I have also started making the structure which goes on the stern mast. I am not sure that I have fully understood how all this fits together - I'm not very good at visualising 3-D objects - but I hope this is correct. Rolling Eyes

I have also made and painted some minor items to fix to the hull - they should be ready to fit tomorrow.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0423
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 1:53 pm

The mast fitting now looks like this 

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0424 My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0425

I don't think it is quite correct but I think I can make it fit. I had to use two different temperature solders, and it was still very tricky. There is a simpler structure that fits on the other side of the mast.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:47 pm

It sure does look tricky. Nice work
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 pm

This has to go on the top of mast - THAT will be tricky lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 am

Nice work Barrie.  2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am

Finally done a little more - fixing the structure on the rear mast. Its not quite right, but I don't think it looks too bad. I can now paint it, and then fix it to the deck ready for the supports. I have realised that I have built the fish pens wrongly - the large gap should be on the opposite side, so I will have to try to fix this as there is a winch to go in the space Rolling Eyes

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0426
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 5:19 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I had a bit of a set back today as I was shaping the other mast. After roughly shaping with a small plane, I was using sandpaper and my power drill when the sandpaper somehow locked round the mast and the drill twisted it until it snapped bounce bounce. I was just about there as well - just taking the marks of the coarse paper out. I had to start again - luckily I had some spare 6 mm dowel. Its now had the rungs fitted and is ready for the next stage - another brass wire structure, but much simpler this time Thumbup
I'm currently thinking that I will finish off the masts and boom and get everything fixed, then leave it for a while before tackling the rigging. I think I need a break and do something else.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Thumbup Thumbup  we all need to do something different or change of focus occasionally Barrie  2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Last edited by Damien on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

The forward mast is basically complete - just a socket for the boom to fit then I can paint it.  Thumbup There are supporting struts on both masts, but I am waiting until the masts are fixed in place before tackling those.
I had to repair a little of the planking at the bows, or at least complete it. I had left a gap thinking it would be covered by a fitting, but NO! so a patch has been inserted - just needs staining. There is also a strengthening beam to go between the gunwales at the bow. I have cut it, but the alignment is tied up with the patch, so waiting until the deck has been stained.

Photo shows the state of the two masts and one boom.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0427
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am

The other mast has now been completed and painted. The bulwark strengthener has been fitted and painted and the three winches stuck down. I have also fixed the tyre fenders down one side. The superstructure is still not fixed, but it is coming together. The next job will be to fix the masts the make their supports and the remaining booms. At that point I will take a break to start another model.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0429  My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0428
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 pm

a really fine job indeed barrie...........looks superb, especially in those Mediterranean colours......a lovely job.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 5:52 pm

I have said it before barrie but that is a stunning boat and well built . it will look nice Idea in a glass case and put some where you can admire it.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks Neil & David. Not sure about the glass case, although its going to get dusty without one Rolling Eyes  

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 am

Check out second hand shop fittings stores you may find a glass cabinet to put several models in to display and keep them dust free Barrie. 

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Well, its finished for now.  Thumbup Apart from anything else, I have lost or broken all my sub 1 mm drills, so cant do any more until new stock arrives. lol!
There are still lots of rigging fittings left in the box, but they are going to have to wait, as is the actual rigging.
On the whole this has been a good kit to build. Just two criticisms. Firstly all the brass was hard brass and supplied in coils. It is very hard to straighten  this stuff. Luckily I had some soft brass as well as some rod in suitable sizes. Secondly, it was very difficult to identify quite a lot of the smaller parts. The descriptions lost something in the translation from Spanish, and the photos in the book were not always clear enough to identify the parts. I still have one small item on the etch sheet for which I can find no purpose. (All the other translation was very good - written by a Spanish speaking English person I would guess)
The booms are neither fixed nor at the correct angles in these photos.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0432 My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0431 My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0430

I need to get some photos against a better background! Try this one!

My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Dscn0433
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Excellent build, something to be proud of. 2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 1:30 am

A ripper build Barrie.
2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 9:12 am

hi barrie
perfect place for glass case with light above what more can you want  lol! lol! lol! lol!

david
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Next Project - Marina II
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3