TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Next Project - Marina II

Go down 
+3
troutrunner
nivapilot
barriew
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

My Next Project - Marina II Empty
PostSubject: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Its taken me quite a while to decide on my next project. I couldn't find anything that really grabbed me, but now I have two projects lined up. As a backup in case I couldn't find anything more appealing, I bought the Guardsman plans.  Then looking around ebay I found an Artesania Latina fishing boat model - Marina II - at a ridiculous price.Looking at their web site I found I could buy the model direct from Spain at a worthwhile saving on any UK supplier, who all seemed to be out of stock anyway. Even with the poor Euro exchange rate I was able to buy the kit and a keel clamp delivered to the UK for less than the UK suppliers price for the model without delivery!
I ordered it one week ago and it arrived today. It is a very impressive kit. All the small parts are in compartmentalised see through boxes. The moulded fittings look to be of excellent quality with almost no flash.
The instructions comprise a full plan, a written instruction book and a full colour booklet of construction photos that you can actually see what is happening. I haven't opened the timber yet, so can't comment on its quality. This is a static model - no information about converting to RC, which I will not attempt.
I don't plan on starting this until after my holidays next month, but you never know Rolling Eyes
Here are a couple of photos - I will add more later, then start a build log as usual.
Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Img10
 My Next Project - Marina II Img_0010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 pm

look forward to this one barrie...........how long is it, and why not consider r/c ing it.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 6:42 am

Neil,

Its only 610 mm long. First look at the construction makes me think adding RC may not be possible. When I come to start work, I will have a better idea what is possible. The biggest challenge will be all the rigging - there's quite a bit Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nivapilot
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
nivapilot

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Nice looking boat, I like it. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm

This is a photo of the inside of the box. All the items were attached to a base board with sticky tape so nothing moved in transit.

My Next Project - Marina II DSCN0291_zpsvpcy1mh8

This photo shows some of the construction.

My Next Project - Marina II DSCN0293_zpsuhvwbfnw

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 6:46 pm

It looks to be quite a comprehensive kit of bits and some nice instructions by the look of your photo's 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 7:51 am

Nice project Barrie no reason with a bit of judicious bulkhead/keel trimming you can't get RC in there.
All my models are shorter than 600mm
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 8:45 am

Damien
Yes I think it could be possible, on the other-hand, I don't spend much time sailing the boats that I already have, so a static model would save a lot of hassle lol! lol! lol!
I'll decide when I take things out of the box and start building.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 9:05 am

Fair enough Barrie I'm the same Still haven't sailed either of my paddlers yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 5:21 pm

what wrong with all us old farts.....I haven't sailed my two lifeboats for over two years now.........you can write your name in the dust.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Don't know about you and Damien, but I take mine to the lake and then I'm either supervising my Grandson or more likely talking lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 8:04 am

Barrie
Simply lost interest in sailing the lake is filthy silly twits in council are talking of spending 1.5 million to put in a beach, but swimming not allowed,
They have a paddle powered mower that only mows the 2km rowing course for the expensive schools to use. The mower catches approximately 50% the rest moves down wind removing the ability to launch models and thick weed to 4 metres from the shore for almost the entire circumference leave no place at all to launch.
They call it the centre piece of the city but won't clean it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
jaydee
Midshipman
Midshipman
jaydee

PostSubject: My next Project   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm

This looks a nice kit. I think my next one will be a kit, this Robert E lee of mine is my 1st boat, and off the plan and it's just going on and on.
  affraid scratch scratch scratch scratch Come on Ballarat council clean the bloody lake properly so Damien and other people can use it and be proud of it.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Sep 25, 2016 3:51 pm

OK -after all the chat, now to business. Back from my hols and I've emptied the shed into the garage, so now I can have a little time for modelling. lol! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

After unpacking everything I continue to be pleased with the quality of this kit. All the timber looks to be good quality, it was well protected in the box, as are the smaller fittings. The first job was to remove all the bulkheads and keel parts from the sheet. They were very nicely laser cut, juts small tabs to remove to free them, although being 3mm thick it required a bit of pressure to get through.
I have fixed the first 5 bulkheads to the keel, along with the stem extension piece and some doublers. They are glued with aliphatic, but I did wonder if this was needed as they are so tight and this will be a static model.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Img_2011 My Next Project - Marina II Img_2010

The stern most bulkheads are not fully seated they will be level with the false keel top.

Last edited by barriew on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Sep 25, 2016 7:02 pm

I expect the doublers are there for a couple of reasons, first. to aid in keeping the bulkheads square, the other is when you sand the bulkheads the doublers will need chafering to give the skins somewhere to glue to so not to disturb the keel as I expect it's seen on this model.

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Sep 25, 2016 7:08 pm

RR

It was the glue I was questioning not the doublers. A typo made it read as though I meant them Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

In fact the keel is added after planking. What is there now is referred to as the false keel. The clamp is only used to get the photo - the bulkheads come to with 2 or 3 mm of the bottom of it - just enough space for the planks.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 4:05 pm

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0211

All the bulkheads have now been fitted.There will be quite a lot of sanding required before planking can start Rolling Eyes I also fitted what are described as decks, although I don't as yet see the purpose of these.They are below openings in the deck, but the two smaller ones are not big enough to be useful - if I was planning to RC it.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0210

Next job is to plank the deck which should keep me busy for a day or two. Smile

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 8:29 pm

you're a better man than me, barrie...........I hate planking..........thank god for car body filler lol
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 am

Neil,

I'm not much good at planking either. You notice this hull will be painted, so the car filler will doubtless be used lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Before the hull planking, the deck needs to be fixed, and that is also planked onto a ply sub-deck. The instructions say to use full length strips, then use a pencil to mark nails to simulate the planks. I decided to use my guillotine that I bought many years ago to cut the planks into strips and use those. Probably more work, but a better result I think.
Here's the guillotine - its not very good really, but these planks are only about 0.6 mm, and it works well. I managed about a quarter of the deck in just over 2 hours this morning. In fact I deliberately took a couple of breaks so I could weight down the planks and let the glue dry - I'm using aliphatic not contact as suggested in the instructions.

Barrie.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0311 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0310
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Over the last couple of days I have completed the deck planking. It turned out pretty well I think, just a few gaps caused by fitting the central plank first, then working from the stern to the bows. In the photo the right hand side has had a light sanding. Some trimming to do, then I need to decide if I am going to simulate nails before applying some stain. As the model will not be going in the water, I don't plan to varnish the decks.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0312
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 11:16 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 1:56 pm

I've now trimmed up the planking and given it a coat of Light Oak stain - not sure that's obvious in the photo. Next job is to fit the deck, but that requires the tops of some of the bulkheads to be sanded. One in particular is too high. I am sure it was correctly seated on the false keel as I used a hammer to knock it home.  Crying or Very sad

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0313
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 11:03 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 6:30 pm

After a week when I struggled to find the enthusiasm to do any work on Marina, I finally set-to today. The deck is now ready for fitting to the hull. It took a lot of work on the first two bulkheads, and the stem strengtheners. I'm still not sure if I did something wrong or if there is a fault in the kit.
It is now ready for glue - just have to decide what glue! There is quite a camber (is that called sheer?) on the deck, so it will be under tension when its glued down.  I hope to get that done early next week, although I still have some hedge to trim bounce

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 7:41 pm

no mate...you right  first time....camber across the deck........sheer is the rise to bow and stern from a central low point.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks Neil 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Oct 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Well, the hedge still needs cutting, but the deck is on. I hope its stuck Rolling Eyes In the end I used Gorrila Glue, the liquid version, and lots of tape Very Happy I did just manage to get a couple of clamps to hold, but there was a lot of tension so I just hope its stuck when I remove them and the tape lol!

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0315 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0314
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Apart from a couple of bulkheads, the deck was firmly stuck. These have been re-glued. I have started the task of shaping the bulkheads ready for planking - this will take some time as there is alot of material to come off  Mad 

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0317 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0316

You can see the gap in one of the bulkheads - that has been cleaned up and re-glued.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 1:44 pm

The sanding is finished - for now at least Thumbup 

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0322 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0321

Next job is to fit the bulwarks. These are in 6 separate pieces and so far I have fitted 4 Rolling Eyes It was quite a struggle as there is practically nowhere to clamp them while the glue dries, and of course the glue didn't want to dry did it bounce I managed to break two of the pieces and after removing one of the others to re-fit, one of the ply layers came away  Mad. I think I will be able to patch this as there is a strengthening piece to fit in the area.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0318 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0320

The fun isn't over yet Shocked These pieces have to be fitted to part of the front bulwarks already fixed Rolling Eyes Shocked

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0319

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

With some difficulty Shocked  I have finished the bulwarks - apart from lots of sanding. The ply is only about 1.5mm so joining the two edges and getting the correct shape was not easy. I used superglue, which of course doesn't fill gaps very well, so I have also applied lots of filler which I hope will also help the joint. Once hard this will be sanded down. The joint will also be strengthened by the bulwark supports which are about the next item to be fixed.

Barrie 

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0324 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0323 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0325
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 6:23 pm

The filler has now been sanded and I am ready to start fitting the supports. I would have liked to put on a coat of paint on the inside to make sure I've got all the holes filled, but that would make it more tricky to glue the supports.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0327 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0326 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0328
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 2:50 am

Coming together nicely Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks Damien.

Next job is to fix what are called Waterways - after painting. Strangely these are fitted on top of the planking  Question Exclamation Shocked I did consider removing the planking and fixing them straight to the deck, but the bulwarks are fixed to the edge of the deck including the planking, so I didn't think it was a good idea.
Here they are after painting.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0331

Before fixing them to the deck I covered them in masking tape hoping this will make painting the bulwarks and ribs easier.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0330

Then I started cutting and fixing the supports - the first three from the bow needed bending to follow the curve of the bulwarks. I also fitted two strengthening pieces in the bows. The supplied pieces were very stiff, so I made new ones from 1mm ply. The tops of the supports need sanding down when the glue is dry.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0329

Just the other side to do, then paint the bulwarks before attaching the inwales etc.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Oct 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Barrie,

if you want to strengthen the but joints where the bulwarks meet.......cut a piece of 1;32 ply to fit between two bulwark supports [but the same depth from deck to top of the bulwark,] which will mask the added thickness to the bulwark ant this will stop the but joints parting should the boat take a side impact.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Neil,

If I were building this model to sail, then that would probably be worth doing, but as it is only intended for display I don't think it is really worth the effort involved. It actually feels quite strong so I will take a chance Rolling Eyes

I fitted the other half of the supports today and started sanding the tops to take the inwhales. This is going to be another tricky job as at first try they don't appear to fit  Mad Still lots to do before I come to fitting them.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Oh yes.......forgot that basic fafact matey......sorry......old saying.......grandma....eggs ....sucking.....teaching......springs to mind lol..........whoooooppppppźzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Neil,

No worries - it was a relevant comment. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Oct 27, 2016 6:43 pm

The tops of the other supports have now been trimmed, although they will probably need some fine adjustment when I come to fit the inwales. Shocked Before access gets get too difficult I have painted the insides of the bulwarks. I notice that there is supposed to be a pattern of white lines in the bow - not sure if I will tackle that.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0334

and removed the masking tape from the waterways. It did its job quite well, only a little touching up required.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0333

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 6:38 pm

After touching up the paint on the waterway, I made an attempt at masking the bow area for the white stripes. I don't think I got it quite the same as the pictures, but hopefully it will look OK after the tape comes off.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0336

As I couldn't do any more sanding in preparation for fitting the inwales, I started to make some of the smaller units that go on the deck. These are for hofding the fish I believe. At the moment they have sharp edges, but as I suspect they are moulded from fibreglass, I will be rounding the edges a bit before painting.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0335

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyFri Oct 28, 2016 9:06 pm

looking great.   barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 2:22 pm

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0338

After removing the tape and a little touching up of the blue, I am quite pleased with the effect.

The 'wells' have been sanded to remove some sharp edges, given a couple of coats of sanding sealer, and one of blue paint - another coat of paint will be required. I have also started making the two companionways - these are just the basics - lots of detail to add.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0339

and finally for today, I finished sanding the tops of the bulwark supports and then fixed the inner support rails for the inwales ready to battle with the latter next session Shocked .

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0337

There is still quite a bit to be done before the planking starts.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 11:46 am

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0340

Three quarters of the inwales installed Thumbup The fourth didn't want to go, so I left it for another day. I did a bit of sanding and filling on the three that are fixed, and gave the wells another coay of blue.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 11:48 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I have at last managed to get the last piece of inwale fitted - but only after cutting it into three pieces Crying or Very sad I think my troubles stem from the issues I had fitting the bulwarks. Obviously these were not fitted correctly. I hope that I will be able to make it look OK after lots of filling and sanding lol!

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0311 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0310

The companionways have had more detail fitted - just the doors and hinges to go.

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0312

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm

After sanding the latest filler round the inwales, I turned my attention to the companionways. The doors have now been fitted with framing, and I have made and fitted the hinges for one of them. These are turning into a project in themselves.  Laughing

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0313
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 12:46 pm

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0315

That's one ready for painting Thumbup I made 6 sets of hinges with not too many problems, but numbers 7 and 8 are not going well!  bounce

I have filled the area at the bows which was not covered by the inwale, so that is now finished until I apply some paint to show up all the problems. There is another layer to the inwales at the bow and stern. The bow is done, stern still to do, and I have started making a raised area of deck at the bow. When these two jobs are finished I think its on to planking  Rolling Eyes To give me something else to do whilst planking, I have bought a vac moulded lifeboat - this is actually the first model I made when I re-started building  model boats after my retirement.

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0316 My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0314

In the last photo you can see the kink in the starboard inwale caused I think by the incorrect fitting of the bulwark. When finished Tthe model will be displayed port side out lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 10:52 pm

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Raised deck section now complete. I was going to fit the second layer to the stern inwales, but they don't fit Crying or Very sad, so I will have to make some new ones. Before I do that I will start planking. Shocked Laughing. I think it will be a long session. The pins supplied have a domed head and appear to be left in after planking is complete - I think I will use my normal method and pull the pins after the glue is stuck. I am also thinking of using balsa for the bow and stern, but I will decide when I see if the planks will go where they should. I don't think the planking is intended to show in the finished model, so it wont really matter if I do use some blocks. Rolling Eyes

Barrie

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0317

Still not sure if the hole behind the decking should be there, or if I should have planked over it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II EmptyTue Nov 08, 2016 1:09 pm

My Next Project - Marina II Dscn0318

Two planks have been fitted each side. The supplied timber is quite good quality and with a short soak in hot water bends nicely. However, there will be a lot of filling required if these first two planks are any guide Mad Mad So far I have used superglue, but I think I will change to aliphatic until it get more tricky.
The next planks will probably be at the keel line and then I will alternate, planking from both directions as it were and meet in the middle hopefully.

I have also started working on my rescue boat - I will start a new log when I have done a little more.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Next Project - Marina II   My Next Project - Marina II Empty

Back to top Go down

My Next Project - Marina II
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next