TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

live steam progress

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stevercboat19
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Stevercboat19

live steam progress Empty
PostSubject: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 5:26 pm

After seeing the amazing work that you all do on your models, I will warn you that this steam ship build I am doing now is mostly an experiment  so it will be mostly for strength and operational success . The authenticity and attention to detail will take a back seat. The build will look something like a Tramp Steamer from the 50's era ( I hope) I am just going off pictures I found on the internet of such vessels. The antiquing to make it look old and beat up will be a challenge. I welcome any advise on this process.
Progress so far --- the planking has started.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Steve,

That looks a pretty good start, however, it is normal to plank both sides alternately, not put all the planks on one side, then the other. It helps to ensure the hull doesn't twist.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Stevercboat19
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Stevercboat19

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 pm

barriew wrote:
Steve,

That looks a pretty good start, however, it is normal to plank both sides alternately, not put all the planks on one side, then the other. It helps to ensure the hull doesn't twist.

Barrie
Thanks Barrie , I should have found this out a little sooner, but the planking is of 3/32 balsa wood and so far there is no warping or twisting . I will however get going on the other side quickly to prevent that.
This is my first attempt at planking -- live and learn process .
Thanks again for your advise
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 11:44 pm

Looking good, interested in the planking process as my fishing boat "Eileen" needs this doing next but will have to wait until I run out of stuff outside to do, probably be at least September before I start on it again. Rolling Eyes  Ne'er mind, it will soon enough come around..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm

My Josie Olsen will be my first planked model.

Steve yours is a good start to planking don't dwell on the ooop's events all part of the learning curve.
Keep on planking.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
Stevercboat19
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Stevercboat19

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Damien wrote:
My Josie Olsen will be my first planked model.

Steve yours is a good start to planking don't dwell on the ooop's events all part of the learning curve.
Keep on planking.

Damien.
Thank you Damien for your words of encouragement , you are exactly right in saying its part of the learning curve. And the curves are what is difficult to plank lol! anyway "full steam ahead, dam the torpedo's". Not sure what movie or speech that phrase came from, but its a good one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 am

Perhaps it was Tom Petty's Album your remembering?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or this one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Damien.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: live steam progress   live steam progress Empty

Back to top Go down

live steam progress
Page 1 of 1