TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Anyway...…….rant over, back to business, and contrary to what a couple of people on mayhem have said today, back to what I do best and that is modelling.

the big problem with fitting the interior is the 13mm flange that runs around the top of the "box" which is fitted from the bottom of the cabin and this without bending the vac formed box wouldn't go in...……….

now the problem with this is that the interior of the cabin has to be made up before it is put in to the cabin...……..and if you do that, then I can guarantee that if you start bending the structure, then all the pieces glued in will pop out and off like crazy, and it would be back to the start, and all the mess that it causes in regluing etc.

so I decided to get rid of the flange up as far as the forward "humps" that are for placing instruments on.

however this would leave the "box" 26mm too narrow, and so to rectify this I have decided to glue in a fillet of timber on both sides of the cabin where the interior would glue up to...…

so I got some obeche from the scraps bin, cut them to width and glued in with epoxy. 

the forward "humps" have also been catered for by making two shaped obeche blocks for the plastic to locate on to...……

I felt that the very thin "wall" of the plastic vac form at less that 1mm thickness would also been horrendous to butt glue to the cabin wall as well, and not with standing that I would not have been able to get a straight ledge within tha cabin, that can now be achieved by glueing up to the obeche strip...…..conquering two problems in one.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0810

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0813

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0727

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0728

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0729

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0730
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Nice solution to the problem Neil.

Now you can see why I avoid preformed superstructures it at all possible! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 6:07 pm

it is so flimsy it could have been twice thickness for what minimal expense it costs. it would have been better as a grp moulding...……..but that is that...…….the rest of the kit is excellent quality and I just think that this could have been better thought out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 6:09 pm

gribeauval wrote:
Nice solution to the problem Neil.

Now you can see why I avoid preformed superstructures it at all possible! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

first time I have put internals such as this in, and as the interior kit is supplied there is no use wasting it...…….
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 pm

when marking up I hadn't taken into account that the fuelling recess boxes protruded into the cabin further than the obeche beading that I had glued on this afternoon, I thought i a good chance to beef up the flimsy cabin vac formed box and so I ran two strips of 4 x 3mm plastic strip along the top edge of the interior box...…...this both stiffened up the box and also allowed clearance to the 3 recess boxes. shall wait till tomorrow for it all to harden up and then trim off and see if my calculations are correct, ho hum,.

anyway...…….its certainly made the tray more rigid. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0814

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0815

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0817
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 pm

forgot to say, I also reinforced and stiffened the side walls on the insides with a sheet of the same plastic that the vac forming is made from...…...I picked a few sheets out of Adrian's skip when I went to pick the models up 18 months ago, its now very rigid after the solvent has set.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 am

just spent two hours cutting the front consoles out to the cut lines that can be faintly seen on the Vac forming's……….DON'T!!!!!, If you have one follow your reasoning.

I cut them to the cut lines and ended up gluing pieces back on to the supposedly finished consol...……….because if you do...……….they slightly fit where they touch...………….it has been a job that could have been made much easier had the original plugs for the consoles been made to fit in the first place...……...it has been a nightmare...………..not for the faint of heart.

and they still need fillets around the edges...…..

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0818

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0819

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0820

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0821

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0822

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0823
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Shannon Consoles   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 am

Hi Neal I could not quite make out the lay out of the Consoles so I hope its okay to post a picture of what the consoles should look like just trying to help. Also check the hight of the seats the arms should be above the shelf that goes around the inside which you have made. When I checked mine against the plan they are 10mm + short in hight mine is a scratch built boat.like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_2010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 7:42 am

thanks for that photo Zetec...……...it is perhaps the most brilliant and yet perplexing photo I could have received. for it shows that I have probably got my two "console bases" totally and utterly wrong, not only in their orientation but on the wrong sides of the cabin./

I can't believe just how wrong I must have got them, but without any plans, and yet to get down to our boat at Fleetwood I just cant figure out just how these damned things fit into the corners without blocking the W/T hatch down to the survivors cabin.

I am beginning to come around to certain peoples thinking on mayhem...…….how can you release a kit without proper instructions, photos of model build and proper plans...……..its bloody infuriating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 pm

well...……….after another two hours of rebuilding after my monumental cock up...………….thankfully brought to my attention by Zetecs kindly intervention and photo of the area I have now re positioned the consoles to the right orientation...….

I am gratefully appreciative of that posting zetec. many thanks. and if you have any more of the interior then please post on here. it would be a great help...…….there is much more detailing and info in that one picture than in all of what speedline have published together.

thanks. neil

that...………..

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0824

to this...…………...not much difference…………..lol...………….only swapped sides and turned through 90 degrees...………….whatta mistaka to make  a!!!!

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0825

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0826

just need to fill, trim and then sand smooth before going on to the next stage.
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Shannon Cabin   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Neil glad the picture was of help I have a few pictures of the inside if you say what area you are doing I will try and find the best pictures. Do you want a photo of the plans that show the inside of the cabin.

Cheers Zetec
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 am

if you could post them all John I would be eternally grateful...…..am just making the upright reinforcing gussets, and wanting to put the false roof in at some stage to hide the wiring above it.

it certainly helps, as access to Fleetwood boat is limited at the moment.

many thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 am

zetec wrote:
Hi Neil glad the picture was of help I have a few pictures of the inside if you say what area you are doing I will try and find the best pictures. Do you want a photo of the plans that show the inside of the cabin.

Cheers Zetec

help.., john?......it was a god send kind friend...………..stopped me looking a right plonker  had my boat been ever good enough to display...……………..without it, i'd have been laughed out of the arena...……..honestly…….what a cock up I had made...………

but now they are positioned right, with a bit of filler and some light sanding and then sprayed up, it won't look too badly, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 am

Age is a mongrel Neil lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Cabin   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 6:17 am

Neil a lot of the picture I got came from the Drop Box link that Adrain put up for people to use they give a lot of info. Will try and sort out the others.

Cheers Zetec
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 10:07 am

I can't find that link, john...…..would you have it please. thanks.. i'll pm you my email address.thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 pm

so, last night and this morning I fitted and trimmed the side cabin supports which I had made individual templates for, but for some reason they fitted perfectly when first glued together...…….but when left to set overnight they had gaping gaps which I had to jack up with small fillets of plastic. I then fitted last night with cyano, but when I came to mate up the longitudinal beams they were so loose and rickety that I pulled them out and re glued with ZAP epoxy glue. I will fill any gaps later once set with polyester filler.

it was once these had set that I dug out one of my old French curves and plotted the shape of the two bow pieces, transferring the shape firstly to 6mm ply and then cut this out to transfer to 3.5mm ply...…….which was then cut and used for the support. Lengths were cut for the longitudinal supports and all were then glued into place.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0827

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0828

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0829

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0830

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0831

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0832

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0833
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 pm

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0839

tonight I thought i'd have a little play, and so put together all six of the crew chairs for the cockpit...……

went together like a breeze, and after cutting the 2 brass supports for each chair from brass tubing, I just used cyano to stick them all together...……..they look really sweet..

tomorrow i'll pay a visit to the lifeboat station at Fleetwood and ask my friend the mechanic if I can go aboard and take some photos of the interior to get the details of all the radio/radar and communications gear to finely detail the rst of the cockpit...……………..no one will know its there once the cabin top has been put on...……..but I will and that is all that matters.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0834

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0835

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0836

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0837

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0838

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0839
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 11:23 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Oh wow.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 2:24 pm

and now the juicy bit...……..I love it when a plan comes together.

went to see my friend Steve the mechanic, at the lifeboat station this lunch time and after donning a life jacket for regulations I went aboard and took detailing photos of the interior of the cabin to get "on view" from the windows detailing shots......lovely stuff...…..

some I will put in some minor detailing such as wiring and stuff I'll leave out, but if anyone is in the build process and wants to go totally overboard and geekish about their levels of detail[which virtually no one will ever look at] then here are some of the shots I took this morning unabridged.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0841

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0842

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0843

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0844

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0846

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0847
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm

have started by working from stern to bow making the parts that are not including in the fittings set  by making the heating system/air exchange box and the main electrical junction box and heat defuse board. these are actually wall mounted, one on the cabin rear wall and one on the cabin tray wall below the join between the two. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0910

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0912

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0913

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0914
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 11:43 pm

its looking cosy in there lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0915

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0916

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0917
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2018 12:24 am

even cozier now that I have added more   parts to the interior....

started by making the 3 repeater monitors that show the same ass those for the coxs'n and mechanic in the two front seats......the monitors  are situated on the back of the two front seats and the middle seat on the starboard side, so that the nav/plotter can read his charts and use the monitor as well....these monitors were made using wooden formers covered in plasticard, and then detailed with more plasticard. 

I also made the cover for the front port footwell, the front monitor facias to go onto the vac formed front dashboards plus the  watertight door down into the survivors cabin.

finally I made the round trunking for the heater outlets from, plastruct tubing and some milliput embossed with the circular indents...……..all will be sanded down once they have cured or hardened.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0918

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0919

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0920

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0921

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0922

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0923

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0924
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2018 5:38 am

Hey how'd you get my square same rust patterns and amount there of lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2018 4:19 pm

well, I couldn't find my chuck key so sneaked over and nicked your square matey...…..best check your tool box, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 5:25 pm

a bit more detailing done on the interior bits and pieces.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0925

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0926

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0927

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0928

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0929

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0930
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 pm

and now got the brass work ready for silver soldering that go around the rear port side partition and the starboard side 2nd chair that supports the chart plotting table. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0931

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0932
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 pm

and the last bit for tonight...….simple things that add a little detail if only stand off scale...….the 3 fuse boxes that go under the starboard side driving console...…...I WON'T BE  putting wiring in, lol...…..that is a step too far for "detailing " that will seldom be seen or taken notice of.

they will be sanded smooth once the glue has cured...…...simple but effectice…...adds a little reality to the interior.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0933
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 am

You're really motoring now Neil. I guess you've got over your injury 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am

barriew wrote:
You're really motoring now Neil. I guess you've got over your injury 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
not yet mate...……….I am supposed to be doing physio on my leg, but when I do it hurts more than the  leg did so decided the best physio was to hobble around and get off my ass...…….instead of just sitting there and moaning about it.....worked wonders...…..transferred the cutting board into the back room where its nice and warm...…...and have made almost all the parts that are on view through the cabin windows...…..and once the soldering is done, just a few grab rails to do and then I can paint all the interior in their respective colours and then glue it all in ready for fixing into the cabin oce that has been done...….

but it has given me the inspiration to get on with the boat instead of loafing around n doing sod all and feeling miserable, as I do most winters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm

fifteen minutes to set up and jig the inner rails  and hearth and literally 4 mins 17 seconds to silver solder the 3 joints together......who says silver soldering is hard...…..

.the only hard thing about this type of soldering compared with soft solder...…….silver soldered joints in our  particular hobby will never break, unlike soft soldered joints. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0934

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0935

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0936

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0937

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0938

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0939

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0940
Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 am

If you need details for any part of a Shannon build, then the 3D virtual tour of 13-09 is incredibly helpful....   https://www.panopticmotion.co.uk/virtual-tour/ilfracombe-rnli-virtual-tour/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 2:47 pm

thanks for that link alw……………….I've just seen your post………...been busy this morning taking an old gas built in oven out and putting a new electric one in and have only just got a breather before I go back and set it up with the timers etc...……..so will have a look at the link this evening...…

and don't worry folks for my safety and gas...…...the connector was a simple sprung bayonet self sealer connection that gassafe engineers put in a few years ago,,,,,,I just had to push, turn and put the connector from the cooker to release it all.....

but I did light a match to see what I was doing and make sure there was no leaks...……..better safe than sorry drunken  scratch confused affraid
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm

nhp651 wrote:
thanks for that link alw……………….I've just seen your post………...been busy this morning taking an old gas built in oven out and putting a new electric one in and have only just got a breather before I go back and set it up with the timers etc...……..so will have a look at the link this evening...…

and don't worry folks for my safety and gas...…...the connector was a simple sprung bayonet self sealer connection that gassafe engineers put in a few years ago,,,,,,I just had to push, turn and put the connector from the cooker to release it all.....

but I did light a match to see what I was doing and make sure there was no leaks...……..better safe than sorry drunken  scratch confused affraid
Hell that could have been a drastic way of getting your hair cut shorter mate! Just waiting to see what your lecktrickery do later on in the build lol bom cherry bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 6:38 pm

alw wrote:
If you need details for any part of a Shannon build, then the 3D virtual tour of 13-09 is incredibly helpful....   https://www.panopticmotion.co.uk/virtual-tour/ilfracombe-rnli-virtual-tour/

just had a look at the site, alw………...and as you say incredibly helpful...…..won't need to go down to Fleetwood boat again....it cockpit interior is from the photos I took down at Fleetwood identical to Fleetwood's boat...….in many ways...…..just a few little deviations...….which are probably personal to each crew's positions...…...left and right handed operations and such...……..but I think I'll call it almost a day, with just a few small additions...……

I suppose there is only so much a viewer can see through a cabin window before they poke their eye out on a whip areal,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm

I decided some time ago that I was going to make the interior cabin and tray to be removeable, for if any thing came loose at a later date when adhesives tend to dry out and things fall over/off...………

and so I decided that it could be held, fore and aft by a simple bracket at the bow which will allow a screw to secure into a block of obeche, and at the stern, a bar of 2.8mm ply crossing the stern of the tray on the underside, screwing into two blocks glued into the sides of the superstructure...……..these were fixed in place using 30minute two part epoxy ZAP glue.

whilst at it I cut and glued into the beams  to fit a dropped false roof to the cabin to hide some of the lighting wiring.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0941

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0942

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 20181210

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 20181211
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 pm

and the panels for the false roof have now been cut and placed loosely in position.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0944

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0945
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 am

That looks pretty neat and a good fit
All coming together nicely
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 5:06 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
That looks pretty neat and a good fit
All coming together nicely
Mick F

Thumbup 2thumbsup 

first coats of paint have gone onto the cabin......2 layer of filler primer...…...I'll give it two more tomorrow and then bring it indoors to harden, as the workshop is almost arctic at the moment, lol.

I also took a trip to one of my local lifeboat stations that house a Shannon, and asked the mechanic what actual colour the antifouling is on the boat...…...he gave me a small tin of the paint that was 2/3 used to either thin with cellulose thinners and spray or have it colour matched at a paint suppliers...……..looks like a trip to Halfords in the near future is called for. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0946

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0947

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0948

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0949

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0950

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_0951
Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Keel_p10

On real boats this anti-foul paint appears as different shades when patched on station and none of them are "Black" as such.

When tested up against the Llandudno Shannon ( 13-18 ) the best match is Anthracite Grey - RAL 7016  which can be mixed by most body paint suppliers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 pm

yehwhen I spoke to my mechanic friend today, they have to touch up virtually every time she beaches, unlike the water based boat at Fleetwood which comes out every few months for a bum scrape...…..but they all get a respray on their annual service of the antifouling to make them pristine again...……….sadly at poole or other service yards such things as rust on the windscreen wipers and other minor defects are overlooked......not as well kept i'm afraid as the older wooden boats .they are these days just a tool for efficient and fast lifesaving, not  thing of beauty.
Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Those patches on 13-18 have been there for over 21 months now and no sign of a repaint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 9:17 pm

alw wrote:
Those patches on 13-18 have been there for over 21 months now and no sign of a repaint.

it should be done every yearly service and out of water inspection.....ours is at fleetwood, and st annes is due for hers in February...….she's been on station since this January.

other wise it gets between the paint and the toughened coating of the skid panel and can in theory com,e off in lumps.....

straight from both the st annes mechanic, and Fleetwood mechanic and LOM,...……

We have one, a relief boat sat on hard standing at Fleetwood has been for 5 months, 13-07, REG. that was given an antifouling respray as soon as her hull was cleaned, and has sat there ever since...…….and still there.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Shanno10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Shanno11

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Shanno12
Back to top Go down
alw
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 pm

It seems different boats have different anti-fouling paint colour schemes. Some of the early boats had white and grey.

13-04,13-07 and 13-09 have distinct grey areas at the front, yet 13-05, 13-15, 13-18 and 13-28 have one colour for the whole lower hull.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_9310
like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Img_9311

Compare 13-12 and 13-18 hulls when they were both at LLandudno for crew training....    https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-a-new-lifeboat-for-llandudno-the-rnli-shannon-class-lifeboat-the-william-161376311.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 pm

you are totally right there Andy...…..

And that is why now a days the crew goes to Poole not only for initial training, but to hone the boat and its fitments to the crew's choice………..it is not inconceivable for such rudimental items as cup holders to be changed...fire extinguisher points to be altered.....…...and joysticks to be changed for left and right handed crew, to give comfort and ease of use...……….I have been told that even the "suspension" o the sprung seats are alterable for weight of crew...………..so no two boats are alike...…...probably in a myriad of ways un noticeable to the layman, and that is why it is so much fun to the modeller to re create...…...even Fleetwood AND St Annes boats are slightly different...……..

one does the best they can with the information available to produce the boat of their choice...………...and if it is fun for them to build, and they themselves are satisfied with the result and modelled to the best of their ability...….who are we to challenge them.....

that is all what model making is all about.....self satisfaction...……...if I am happy with my model...………...who's business is it other than mine to contradict.

Last edited by nhp651 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 am

Indeed Neil  2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 10:43 pm

well!!!...……….as much as I am now beginning to enjoy this build...…………..something I haven't done until recent days have shown...…...two much beer and warmth of the house has overtaken the coolness of the garage workshop...………..and I just can't get it warm enough to get a decent finish on the paint, from previous painting in cold weather...…….and so, until the two girls have gone to college after the 7th January and I can be naughty and bring my spray sheets indoors in the warmth of the house...……..that is it till new year...……..

after all, it wouldn't do, to get overspray Volkswagon brilliant orange or Baliol Blue on the Christmas tree...………..my ex and kids would go ballistic, lol.

all the best to you all for the Christmas and new year period...……..

take care and be safe..……...and for you guys in ozz……...make the most of your summer...…...because from now on, the days are only getting shorter, lol lol! santa rendeer drunken drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 pm

lol top temp's for coming week 26c today then 30, 32, 30, 36, 34, 32
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 1:54 am

Damien wrote:
lol top temp's for coming week 26c today then 30, 32, 30, 36, 34, 32

you making me feel jealous Damien, languishing in my damp 7c temp...…………...mind you the moon came out once it went dark and the clouds scattered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next