TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 am

have begun to fabricate the stern rail sections now ……… start of the stern rails for the boat which will eventually mate up to the cast brass stern rail fitting using 3.2mm "brass" brazing rod, annealed on the gass burner of the stove to ease bending to shape.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0118

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_8938
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 pm

now on to the stern rails, these are going to be a little tricky and not straight forward at all...…….each small section will have to be soldered together in small pieces...…..one rail at a time and one stanchion at a time, to build up the whole fabrication...…...and there are four to be fabricated...……...think I'm going to need some more gas, lol...…..or a smaller boat,he he! 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0119

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0120

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0121
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 4:23 pm

i'ts slow going, but have eventually got through all the silver soldering with the finish of the stern pulpit rails...……..just got to mate them up and solder to the brass fitting on my boat and make something similar for the other boat...…...but will probably fabricate that in plasticard……..much easier..…….my metalworking skills aren't good enough for that,
but I do know there's a few burnt fingers, and a lot of brass there!

now, just a lot of cleaning up to do, No Rolling Eyes 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0211

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0212

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0213

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0214

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0215
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Very impressive Neil 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm

cheers barrie…….

been a slog I can tell you...……….and just about run out of propane...……...mind you, the bottle has lasted 5 or more years so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm

rear rail  has now been temporarily fitted to the stern deck to mark up where to cut in order to silver solder to the brass stern casting supplied.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0216

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0217

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0218
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm

That is some soldering there Neil, looking good though. It all looks like it's coming together very nicely. Keep up the brilliant work, and I expect you are cussing me, just like gribeauval was, because of the burnt fingers lol. 
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 pm

all of the deck hand rails have now been soldered up and put in place, except for the aft rails and main casting which was a little fiddly, but that has now been rectified, cut to size and ready for soldering together.

this will be done tomorrow. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0219

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0220

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0221

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0222

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0223
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 1:14 am

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Thornej
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 am

Nice work Neil:Thumbup:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm

thanks guys......just off to the brazing hearth now...……..this is where the swearing and cursing starts. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm

stern rails finally silver soldered to the centre brass cast fitting.....took some doing as the fitting acted as a conduit to loose heat rapidly, but got there in the end.

just a good clean up and a little filing of excess solder and flux and they'll be ready for a hot bath to get rid of grease, and then their "feet" round discs on the bottom of the stanchions.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0224
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 12:48 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 1:00 am

how ya feeling matey..……….hope you getting over that virus you've had.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 1:06 am

Still hanging round M8
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I got stuck in to the collapsible mast today.

it is wholly made from 3D printed parts and goes together easily.

unfortunately unless you a genius and lateral thinker outside the box in order to fabricate and make a complete ratchet set of runners and brackets so that the rear seat brace/support for the aft end of the "T" mast slides down the parallel runners, the mast is not made collapsible...…

the only problem that I had, and possibly of my own making was that I put all the fittings in one box and not in bags and one of the brackets on the aft end of the bulkhead which takes the seat/mast support had one of the lugs broken off when I came to fit it, and so fabricated another lug using similar thickness plasticard and glued in place with cyano acrylate.

but it goes together well, and easily too.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0319

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0320

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0321

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0322

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0323

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0324

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0325
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm

today was fitting the main mast carrying the running and blue flashing light platforms and stays to the "T" mast .the bracket at the aft end of the "T" mast was glued in position and strengthened with 4 tiny frame makers pins.

I tried making it removeable for ease of transportation but sadly it would have been two fragile fitting, and also the wiring to the lights would not have been viable should it have remained removeable......and so, when I get hold of some more superglue it will be glued in position. I used different thicknesses of brass tubing and bar to construct the mast and the stays were made from stainless steel. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0326

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0327

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0328

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0329
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 am

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 pm

I decided today to snip all of the railing turnbuckle fittings from their moulded tracks......these fittings are made from cast brass and so quite strong...….stronger than I could make from plastic and brass and no matter how much thought and fabrication I could muster, there is absolutely no way I could get them anywhere near as those supplied in the fittings kit....

just one slight problem though...the diamond shaped fixing brackets on the ends of the turnbuckles at either end of the deck housing safety lines are cast wrongly and lie at 90* to what they should be.....

so out again came the snips and I cut them away from the bracket, with the intention of cleaning them and the "shackle" attached to the brass fitting and redrilling both the shackle and the diamond plate and then drilling for a new loop of brass wire to make the bracket lie correctly longitudinally with the wire lifeline....

and so I started filing one of them with a diamond tipped needle file...……

the bracket being so small at 12 x 7 mm I tried holding with my fingers and then some circlip pliers and soon...…...disaster, the 1st one pinged out of my grip onto my workshop floor and lost into oblivion for ever more...…….ohhh sheet, or words to that magnitude...……….what to do, as I now have only 7 instead of 8 diamond brackets...….

sod it...…...I reverted to my old stand in, and cut a number, enough to cover all the brass brackets and more besides...….and after they are all painted chromium, who will ever know, other than you lot, and the millions that read these threads, lol...…

onwards and upwards. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0330

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0331

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0332

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0333

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0334
Back to top Go down
Thornej
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Pulpit rails   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Neil,
Great work!
A question - how do you solder additional rails without the previously soldered ones coming apart?
Thanks
Cheers
Jeff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 am

Thornej wrote:
Hi Neil,
Great work!
A question - how do you solder additional rails without the previously soldered ones coming apart?
Thanks
Cheers
Jeff
hi jeff,

I use silver soldering for almost all my work these days with a portable brazing hearth made from a product called Vermiculite able to take temperatures up to 1600C...…...and the heat from a Sievert propane pencil tipped torch...……..temperature is very localized to the point you are soldering and as soon as you remove that heat from the immediate location the solder sets, meaning that you can solder both sides of a bar without the other side being liquified...……..no good for brass of 1mm or less, as the heat melts it to a blob.

I gave up soft soldering years ago in favour of silver soldering...……..as it is a whole lot stronger and doesn't come apart if knocked...……….however I am about to buy some liquid soft solder paste so that I can use a low heat from a kitchen flambé torch to solder the thin life belt holders...……..but think i'll take templates of the parts before I do, in case I melt them lol.
Back to top Go down
Thornej
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am

Great, thanks  ThumbupThumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 am

no problem. 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 9:29 am

What diameter silver solder wire do you use Niel, and what flux is appropriate????????????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 9:46 am

the diameter isn't really the governing factor Damien, although the stuff I use is around 1.25mm dia...…...silver solder comes in differing melt points unrelated to the diameter of the rod...……….and I was given a bundle of the same dia rod some years ago which will last me a lifetime, lol.....and I haven't a clue as to what temperature it melts at, sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am

I've used brazing rod in the past mostly on my hillclimb car but 3mm or 1/8" is a tad big for model use.  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Damien wrote:
I've used brazing rod in the past mostly on my hillclimb car but 3mm or 1/8" is a tad big for model use.  lol! lol!

That's exactly what I've been soldering up, Damien......3.2mm brazing rod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 pm

nhp651 wrote:
Thornej wrote:
Hi Neil,
Great work!
Thanks
Cheers
Jeff

Jeff

There is an alternative to using silver solder for which you need a big heat source. I use soft solder and to prevent melting one joint whllst soldering the next I use heat sinks on either side of the joint. These can be as simple as crocodile clips, or larger metal spring clips.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Thornej
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks Barrie ThumbupThumbup
Cheers
Jeff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 pm

work has stopped just for the moment as I've run out of space, lol...…...I have had my centrifugal casting system up for sale as haven't used it in 3 years, but I now need to cast some parts in resin and white metal before it goes...…..so have dug it out, dusted it off and ordered some resin to cast the resin parts.....and then some white metal bits to finish off before it goes...…...so that all to come over the next few days...…...i'll post a few photos of the gear and castings in their moulds once I have started.,

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_7410

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_7411

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_7412
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 6:17 pm

I  have done nothing in weeks to the two Shannon's because of my broken leg an d feeling unsafe in the work shop on crutches, but last Saturday/Sunday at the Blackpool model show both I and Mick French , whom I am making the second Shannon for decided to have a word with Andy Grigg of Models by Design about his new buckets which can and do adapt to the German water jets, and give the proper impression rather than the square shaped one s and they fit perfectly and look well. 

the buckets themselves are made from GRP and brackets supplied......so I have been looking at them tonight and figuring how to fit them to the main bodies of the German jets......more will be revealed later.

However the parts supplied by MBD are a Nozzle plate which turns the square end of the jet outlet into a rounded outlet, and a moveable cone nozzle that fits over the new cap...…..finally the Bucket and a set of laser cut brackets which attach to the buckets and the main face plates attached to the stern transom.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_8631

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0225

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0226

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0227

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0228

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0229

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0230
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 12:38 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I am also building my friends semi kit of a Shannon by models by design along side my speedline models...……..but there are a few tricky bits on that boat...….the first being that the deck iglued onto the hull, unlike the speedline models one where the full deck is removeable.
this causes problems in that the jet drives and motors are hidden under the aft part of the deck...…
so today, I resorted to butchery and cut a rather large hole in the stern end to allow access.
then I began to rectify this by putting in a watertight flush hatch.
first by lining the hole with a wall, exactly the same size as the hole.
onto the bottom rim of these "downstands" I made a "baseplate" circumnavigating around the hole with a final "upstand" running around that outer rim.
this forms a channel running around the perimeter of the  hole. once the hatch lid is cut to size, it will have a timber rim, the same thickness but for a mm each side  of the hatch lid which will fit into the channel, thus forming a capillary block of water ingress through the hatch.
as it is made from timer, it is held in place using a barrier of Vaseline[petroleum jelly] also adding to its water integrity.
I have used this method for making flush watertight deck hatches many times with not a single drop of water getting in to the hull from that area.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0610

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0611

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0612

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0613
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 10:52 pm

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 12:42 am

well, that went well...…..the thing went together well and dry fits where it should do perfectly...…..i'll glue it in tomorrow and make the new deck for it once the frame has glued in properly tomorrow afternoon.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0614

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 20181110

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 20181111
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 am

Good to see you've started work again 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 12:57 pm

CHEERS GUYS......THESETWO MODELS ARE SO FRUSTRATING......NO DECENT PLANS, ABSOLUTELY NO INSTRUCTIONS.

you may as well build the whole thing from scratch and make everything as you go along...…….but we shall persevere.

the base of the hatch has been glued in now and cramped up. the lid to the hatch has also been cut to size and shape and the retaining frame that slots into the base to form the waterproof break has also been fitted. this was glued using 2 part epoxy whilst the base was glued using waterproof aliphatic resin wood glue, taking longer to set, but giving a greater bond wood to wood.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0615

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0616

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0617
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 pm

The hatch cover has been temporarily fitted, and finally skimmed with a top sheet of 1/64th birch ply to raise it to the correct level and also fill a 1mm gap at one end..

meanwhile I have been removing the centres of the 3 rear hatches, and now satisfied that I have as much access as needed for fiddling and fettling the jets, motors, links and the cams for the working trim tabs on the MBD  boat............in fact probably 90% of that given by the Speedline boat, with the removeable deck.

I have also fitted some forward blocks to keep the fore end of the superstructure on the MBD  boat from sliding backwards, as the raised flange on the deck moulding comes nowhere near the position that it should be to retain superstructure position...…...and although it would be fine for a slower boat...…...the fierce acceleration that this boat promises to deliver I could see with micks or my clumsiness it would go base over apex and the cabin disappear over the taff rail, lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0618

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0619

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0620

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0710

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0711

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0712

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0713
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 pm

hatch has been fitted...…...quite pleased with the results and the gap fits...…..better than a Beamer TBH  lol! lol! 

Just give it a few coats of sanding sealer now to harden it up and get ready for painting.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0714
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 pm

today I swapped boats and  made the hand rails that adorn the cabin flying bridge area...went well usind 2mm brass rod and silver solder.....

once fitted and knowing what I did,and how I did it, I silver soldered up the pre prepared parts for the MBD boat as well.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0715

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0716

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0717

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0718

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0719

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0720
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 am

Looking good matey.  2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm

2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm

people are always asking how one cuts out holes in bulwarks, windows recesses etc...……...and I am amazed when someone tells them to go and buy a hole cutter for a job that they will probably only ever use that hole cutter once in their modelling lives, and yet pay 20 - 30 quid for it to lay idle for the rest of its days, collecting dust...………

especially when most modellers possess the best hole cutter that they can own, with innumerable sizes and shapes that they could ever wish...…….an electric drill, drill bits and a bit of common sense....

the rest can be told in pictures.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0710

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0711

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0712

ream out the piece by using the shaft of the drill cutting between holes

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0713

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0714

and then using small 6" files...….file and then sand to the lines, and for the curved corners, use some rolled up abrasive paper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 1:01 pm

you will notice from the first two shots that the inner lip on the MBD Shannon is twice the width of the lip on the Speedline Shannon, which follow. this is because the MBD Shannon windows fit into a frame before fitting into the recess, whilst the Speedline Shannon differs in that a vinyl black transfer to simulate the black silicon bonding sealant on the real boat is stuck on to the clear window plastic both sides and then set into the recesses with a black silicone glue.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0715

and the Speedline models windows were cut out in exactly the same way as the earlier MBD boat, drilling and reaming out...….then I turned to my trusty minicraft drills and fitted a stone grinding plug......it made easy work then of getting the narrower recessed flange smooth.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0717

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0718
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm

its beginning to look a lot like a lifeboat now...…….I have fitted all brass work temporarily and also positioned the 3D printed stanchions...…..and its beginning to take shape. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0719

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0720

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0721

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0722

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0723

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0724

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0725
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Looking Good Neil - lots of intricate brass work there Shocked Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 pm

the stern pulpit rail was the trickiest with lots of holding with the stands with crockodile clips...…..third hands I think they are called, but got there in the end.....…….would have taken me 3 times as long had I not used silver soldering and a propane gas torch....

anyway...……..I put a request for help on mayhem over 4 hours ago about how the interior of the cabin goes together from the 3 vac formed pieces of plastic…...even emailed and messaged Adrian gosling.....

over 4 hours ago...…...and in the end...…….the BP  rose, mercury boiled and I had to post...…..

53 reads , 33 views of the interior...….over 2 dozen kits at both 12th and 16th scale sold with these interiors, and not a single offer of help...……...c'est la vie. like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Grin

its at times like this that I have no other words to say other than, I now know why such helpful people as Inertia, aka Dave Milbourn and Stavros turned their backs on this site... like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Cry1 like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Undecided1 like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Sad2

Anyway, don't worry folks……….I've sorted it. like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Smiley like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Knuppel2 

SO  what I did was to separate by my usual brute force and butchery, the cabin from the deck and started to fit the interior upside down, and work backwards....….my usual state anyway, lol...…….and i'll get there in the end...……

pick shows the interior tray sat inside but not fit...………...for eventually it has to have all seats, radars etc fitted...…...a model in itself...…….but now I know what I am doing and sod the rest...…...they can fend for themselves.only on here will you see it...……..oh ye, the yank site as well, lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Img_0726
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next