TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: like a kid in a sweet shop   Tue May 08, 2018 2:59 pm

I just couldn't decide what model/s to build next, but finally decided a couple of days ago, and have settled on.....................

the Shannon class lifeboat.................well, two to be exact........

so what's the story behind two............

my friend Mick in Canada asked me to go down to Leicestershire last July with a wodge of fifty's that he had sent me to buy a 1;12 and a 1;16th scale Shannon lifeboat and then send to him..............

on acquiring both models from Adrian at Speedline mick decided that he wanted me to keep the 1;12 scale lifeboat over here and build it for myself as he would never get round to doing it.............and made a present of it to me...........What a wonderful man he is...........and we regularly chat on the phone.

the other Shannon is a Models By Design basic kit, including the KMB jet drives. my friend mick French, battleshipbuff on here asked me if I would build it for him if he bought it off mayhem, and as mick in Canada had been so incredibly generous in his gift to me, I thought I would repay a little to the friends I have and told mick French that I would build his Shannon along side mine.

I did ask speedline models about a set of fittings from his model for the MBD  boat, and initially he said yes, but to my immense disappointment when he came to pick up my steam lifeboat that he wants to proceed with, he told me that he would no longer be supplying me with a set of fittings for the MBD boat...............bit of a bummer really and so, at the moment the MBD Shannon will be just a partial build until someone starts developing their own sets of fittings for the 1;12 Shannon................ but I will on here post pictures only of the two models and how they are constructed, in slightly different ways, for anyone wishing to follow it. 

the speedline and the Models By Design Shannons.

The MBD basic kit on the right.

and the joys of having an Elephant size drawing board with parallel slide in your workshop to show the basic Speedline plans.........sadly the only ones available as the RNLI  won't supply them.

those plans are full size.

Last edited by nhp651 on Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 pm

cheers

Here’s we go again 2thumbsup

nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm

so.......to the MBD Shannon.........first thing I wanted to do with both boats is to fit the  intake tunnels, and so with careful measurements drilling and cutting, then sanding down with a rolled up tube of abrasive paper and then filing the intake inlet, the job was done in little over an hour.......with no need to go out and buy a special hole cutter at 45 quid a time.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 pm

and then it was on to the Speedline jets.......they are not finished but got a little peed off when one wouldn't turn the impellor after I had bolted them up, so removed to find that one of the shaft couplings wasn't tight and was binding on the housing.......so sorted it and then abandoned it for tonight......but here so far.measurements for positioning were the same for the outlets, taken from the plans.

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Wed May 09, 2018 12:17 am

Twin jet drives, nice, actually I forgot these have those, I’ve got used to seeing the older tunnels under the hull on lifeboats.

Which type of jet drives are those? I’ve seen many “cheaper” one on fleabay or are those the grauphner expensive ones?

nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Wed May 09, 2018 12:46 am

the ones on the mbd are German manufacture, but the speedline ones are miniature Hamilton jets..........he got permission to put the Hamilton badge onto them the end nozzles are so accurate.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 am

Good start Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Time to fit the main induction tunnel bodies.

now comes the tricky bit.....the floor of the hull and the rear transom plate where the two parts of the tunnel body fit, are not at right angles to each other, where as the end plate and the intakes are on the actual jets are..........

so I made a surrounding plate 2.5mm thick out of plasticard to go around the intake. This is to give some purchase to the glue where one end sticks above the actual grp hull.

I also dispensed with the plasticard  gaskets supplied with the kit, in favour of proper repellent gasket material and gasket glue [ahh, remembrance of the times I replaced cylinder head gaskets on my rocket gold star and other old brit bikes, lol]. I did this because the gasket material and glue will contour to the unevenness of the grp whereas a plastic gasket won't.

and so it was.....fit the gaskets were fitted with gasket glue both sides, and 5 minute epoxy laid onto the flange and working quickly I got one and then the other glued in and bolted up ready to set in position.

on the last shot you can see how even the best of hulls and layers can get one more even thickness than the other........not a problem and unless you are spray laying  mould, there will always be slight irregularities in a lay up, and that is why just a few minutes pondering over a subject and the problems that might arise can be overcome without histrionics and cursing the manufacturer.......simple slight problem overcome easily.....

I have left the two jets setting until later when I can then fill in those gaps with filler.

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Nice start Neil. 2thumbsup 

I really must get these other commissions finished and get started on my own Shannon. lol!
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm

gribeauval wrote:
Nice start Neil. 2thumbsup 

I really must get these other commissions finished and get started on my own Shannon. lol!
I won't suggest a sponsored sail up loch ness.................no, I won't go there, lol.
Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! Ya just did mate.  lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

the jets on both boats have now been well and truly bedded in now, but instead of using filler which, in my hands at least can be a messy finish, I have used Milliput white which is both very sticky and also water proof and acts as a water barrier when pressed home into the cracks............and it also looks far better and neater.

first the MBD boat...

and the Speedline jets.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Sat May 12, 2018 10:39 pm

whilst its dark outside, I thought I'd shed a little blood inside, and start reforming some of my old figures that I made some years ago, into lifeboat men of the modern dry suit era, with modern life vests and helmets........

was going well until I cut myself on the thumb twice in the same spot, so plastered up I went for a beer and decided to call it a night until I can use my power tools on then tomorrow without fear of removing one of my fingers in the process.

I like the figures I use because they have much more realistic faces than those produced by other companies.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Sun May 13, 2018 7:14 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Sun May 13, 2018 11:30 pm

four out of the five crew now nude, and waiting for their new uniforms............the other man will wait till tomorrow and then on goes their gear, life preservers and boots............then into new moulds.

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 pm

they look h..armless enough , lol.

now got their up to date ALB [All weather Life Boat] waterproof gear and life preservers on.....they have to be sanded and trimmed but that will wait till the milliput had hardened. then I can mould them in RTV rubber and do some casting..............the bit I like best.............well, apart from making them in the first place.

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Tue May 15, 2018 1:15 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 pm

There I was...………...thought I'd finished..………...even given one of the crew a pony tail to keep up with status quo and introduced the first female into the crew, and whilst taking a photo from the back, realised a glaring mistake, and not put the two straps connecting the waste belt to the shoulder straps and so back to the milliput and added these.........will wait till tomorrow for them to set and cure before trimming up and looking for the arms to set them to each figure before putting them into rubber moulds......….and casting a few. 

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am

Looking good Neil  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 17, 2018 4:03 pm

The crew figures look great!

However I rather be rescued by this beauty than some salty old sea dawgs

lol!

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/CAP-Maquettes-CAP-Figure-Ophelia-1-10-Scale-CMOPHELIA_10.html#SID=2240

nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

yep/……………….totally right there...……...but the fun comes in unpeeling the suit, lol. lol! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 pm

its not often I have the central heating on on a mid summers night, especially when its still warm and beautiful sunny outside...………..but I need to soften my modellers plasticine to make my mould bases and the only way is to heat it up as its normally rock solid...……

the box bases have been lego'd and just waiting for the soft plasticine to set the figures in to them...…

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup WOW.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 pm

the first half of each mould once cured was then rubbed all over with Vaseline to act as a barrier/release agent between that half and the second half of the full mould...……….

the second half was then laid into the box.
you will see that two of them are shaped like wedges.....the thinner parts are where the heads of the figures lie and the thicker part of the wedge is where the feet lie...…….this saves around 300 grams of rubber each time...….a fair saving.

just have to cut the flow channels and air escape furrows in them, and they are ready for casting

Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Fri May 18, 2018 11:53 pm

the final piece to the jigsaw is the moulding of the 12 different sets of arms, depending on what position you want the crew to take on boat...……...so these have to be moulded...……….as I seem to have mislaid the original moulds...…….this will be done in sets, left and right arms and then I can choose. 

Back to top Go down
Damien
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Sat May 19, 2018 2:13 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Marvelous Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

mould boxes have been made for the 5 initial sets of arms, so that I can put the figurines together and paint up for demonstration at the Blackpool show and other venues. 

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Another sweet shop lover!   Yesterday at 12:31 am

I know how good and life-like your other figures were Neil,and I am amazed at the transformation that you have maid using milliput.These are going to be superb when finished
As for the moulding and casting,you make it all seem so simple.There sure is a meaning to the old saying,Practice makes perfect,except for the seemingly excessive use of elastoplast lol
Mick F
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Yesterday at 9:25 am

Ah ha yes.........keep those very handy when I'm carving and whittling these days.......arthritic fingers don't make for good precise handling and coordination of a very sharp craft knife and after a spell it usually looks like a war zone lol.
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   Today at 12:42 am

back to the boat build now that I have completed the moulds for the crew men...……

I have started by making the servo holders for the jet drive operations.

I have made these from 2 and 3mm thickness plasticard, strengthened with buttresses...…………..

I have seen 3D printed ones, but just a couple of hours work and a little plastic weld I have reached the same result, not as neat by any stretch of the imagination, but saved a good wodge, not having them printed. 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: Modelling Categories :: Lifeboats-
Jump to: