TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 5:23 pm

stavros wrote:
You DAMAGED  my PAINTWORK  how dare you .....KEELHAULING  springs to mind

NO MATE.....honist mister...…...just had to strim off the over spill of the adhesive and so I just went over the little bits after i'd trimmed the rubber glue...……….

ssseeeeee, honist mister its as good as new, honist. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0627

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0628

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0629

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0630

whilst I was waiting for paint to dry on my Shannon, I made the aft flying bridge step up to conning level...…..it was missing from the kit, and so made it from 2.5 mm plasticard. 

once made I coated the surface of the step and the flying bridge floor with a coat of "none slip" paint...……..i.e., some 240 grade wet and dry paper cut to size and glued on with cyano. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0631

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0632
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 pm

the water jet protection skids have been painted, gradually whittling away at the small niggly but essential jobs that go to make this model a beauty, but very intricate lifeboat to build.

also finally got a can of textured paint direct from the factory that worked...….so the small aft hatch has been painted too. a little dark at the moment but a few days in a sunny window [should we ever get any sun this summer] will lighten and fade the hatch to match the rest of the deck colour. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0633

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0634
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 7:26 pm

cabin hand rails, front fore cabin deck rails and pulpit rails and pulpit rails have all been fitted to both boats this afternoon,

and now that I have done those and the flying bridge, I can now fit the main T mast and channel the wiring for the lights into the mast and down the legs for all the lighting.

the legs of some just need a little paint touch up, but no big deal...……….and whilst searching for some parts I even found the two radar motors for the two boats......……...I never cease to amaze myself with my amazing organisation...…….almost as good as Stavros's. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0635

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0636

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0637

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0638
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm

today was the day of the most complex patrt of this or any model i have ever built..wiring up the mast lights and making sure as few wires are seen as possible......that meant drilling [or reaming] out tracks on the "T" section of the mast to set the wiring into to make as inobtrusive as possible, before it disappears into the cabin.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0639

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0640

then making sure that the radar works first, I set it into the "T" mast using some of the CT1 that I bought for gluing the belting on...….I have now left them to set for a good few hours. I used some spring clamps to hold them in place so that the rod to the radar runs vertically and straight and true. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0641

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0642

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0643

and finally, I gave the motor cases of the radars a new coat of paint. they were getting a little grubby, but not before I ran a length of plastic tubing through the box to act as support and a bearing for the motor rod.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0644
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 11:44 pm

MY little Kenneth James Pierpoint is coming now to a conclusion...….....the wiring for the mast and navigation lights + radar will be installed by tomorrow evening on both boats, and then just a matter of sticking all the myriads of fittings to the boats will commence at a rapid rate.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0645

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0646

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0647
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 pm

six and a half hours...……..yes, 6.5 hours it took me today to set the wiring for the mast lights and then feed them into the cabin, and fit and glue the "T" mast in place...……..what a pain, but I suppose it had to be done. I am having a break tomorrow and Thursday taking my daughter and her new boyfriend to Liverpool and the lakes...…….back into the fray on Thursday, when I have to design a way of protecting the fragile masts whilst upturned to get to the inside of the cabins to route the wiring to the 10 way switch, through r/c receiver plugs, especially as I will have ti hide all wiring in the Speedline Shannon...……….another nightmare, but as the old saying says, "with patience and perseverance, you can s*** a mouse"

but the models are now beginning to show promise. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0648

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0649

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0651

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0652

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0650
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Shannon spaghetti..   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 1:53 am

Thats certainly a lot of wires,as I previously thought when soldering the extensions on them.It gets a little confusing at times!!
Now that you have all the ones associated with the mast area together,it looks like it could be a real nightmare to sort.
I dont blame you for getting a little rest and recreation for a couple of days away from it all.
It will all come good in the end,Im sure.
Hope the weather is not as bad as they say its going to be for you.
Enjoy it if you can
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 9:46 pm

been to Liverpool today……….peeee'd it down all day...….to the lakes tomorrow, and then back on the job on Thursday. as you say mate its a nightmare, and now going to get worst as I have to connect them all to plugs from the inside without damaging the mast on the outside...…...think i'm going to get a padded box and put the cabin in it upside down to do it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 6:53 pm

the Lakes trip was cancelled today due to inclement weather, and so this afternoon  I set about tidying up all the wiring on the onside of micks  Shannon cabin, and then soldering on the plugs for the switch that mick had supplied.

this afternoon I soldered up and tested and labelled each one to make sure he had the full complement of lights.

I had been worried about how to invert the cabin without damaging the mast which sticks up precariously from the aft flying bridge...……..but then a simple solution...…..I put the dogs old bed and a pillow on the top of a plastic storage box, and inverted the cabin on top of it...…...…...simples, …..job done.

but not before taking delivery of his decals for the boat.

these will go on last as I am never eager to put them on halfway through a build for fear of damaging them.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0658

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0659

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0660

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0661

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0662

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0663
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 am

ohh, and without instructions...…….

if you put the radar scanner together with its end caps on the scanner glued on...…….which would be the natural thing to do...…..even to an experienced or beginner builder as natural fabrication...……..IT DON'T GO ROUND on the base...….it catches on the upper cross tree stays...…...

the scanner has to be trimmed down to length by almost 10 mm in total, for the thing to clear the stays...….WTBH....

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0664

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0665
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 pm

taken me three days of brain bashing work, and a job I hate anyway, to insert all of micks lights on his Shannon, as he wanted all of the "sets" of lights individually wired so that he can switch them on individually at separate times...……...….

after the brain fatigue I have experienced in those three days, I have come to the conclusion of...…...SOD IT !!!! …… mine will all operate off one switch and one switch only..............and they will all either be ON or OFF............

I ain't going through that lot again........definitely not my idea of fun modelling.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0666

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0667

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0731

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0732

and back on its seat whilst I do the Speedline boat.........I'll do that tomorrow, it'll be a lot quicker now that I know what I'm doing lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0733

at time of going to press ALL lights and radar were working and fully functioning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 pm

just as a little treat to you all, my model has just become full sized and here it is...………

it was returned to the water today after her 6 monthly health check and a clean up of the water jet drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK5nwh1Dn4k&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR01TnKgbtObiOT1S9we1h41CEdRUuuZnXm24NAF6xUf_YP-9U7U0N1bqjk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm

The 3 lights on the cabin top, 2 spots and one search light have been fixed in place and the wires threaded into the cabin.

Now comes the tricky bit in routing all of the wires so that they will not be seen, as the cabin interior on the Speedline model will be fully lit inside and visible from the exterior...……...so I don't want wires hanging loose, but the first thing is to be to fix them all and then to work out how to thread them and disguise them...….and I think I have it sussed.

I will describe how I did it in sections in the next few posts.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0734

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0735
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 pm

The first set of wires to be hidden was the port side set and although I thought were going to be a bit of a pain were easily hidden, behind a locker just inside the main watertight door to the left hand side.

I fitted a piece of trunking through the locker and threaded the wiring through it to a level below the shelf just below the window level. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0736

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0737

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0738
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 1:57 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 pm

DISASTER HAS STRUCK...………..AND ALL OF MY OWN MAKING.

I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE TRIED PUTTING LIGHTS IN MY MODEL AND I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE GONE BACK OUT TO THE WORKSHOP TONIGHT, as I was tired and fed up. .working to a deadline just isn't worth it.

I am shouting because I am so absolutely furiously annoyed with myself I could scream,

I was putting the last part of the ducting into the cabin to route the wiring, and had the deck/superstructure wedged between the bench and the ceiling when being the usual clumbsy sod that I am, I knocked it and down it came…….shattering the mast and cutting the wires...…………….and so am stripping it down ready to repair tomorrow, put new bulbs in and then repaint the whole lot. and connect new wiring...…….but now...………..sod it!!!! im off out for a beer...………..don't worry mick...…………..it was my speedline model. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0739

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0740

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0741

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0742
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Oh ells bells!!! What a catastrophe after getting this close to the finish line.
So sorry for you Neil,after all this work,in doing something I know you detest doing.As we spoke tonight,just let me know what replacements you want and I will get them sent off to you.
I sincerely hope you find it fairly easy to repair the damage,and that it wont take you too long.
Of course I am most relieved that the damage isnt to my Shannon,but even so I am devastated for you.
Sincerely hope it doesnt take you too long to put right,and that you can quickly get back on track
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 am

cheers mate...............have repaired the mast itself, taken the two flashing lights out and will put new ones in tomorrow...……...the main mast has been glued up and just a matter now of soldering new wires onto the remaining bulbs and making sure the mast can be fitted on to the stub that was left. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0743

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0744
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

reconstruction of my mast started today, but first of all I decided to do what I was doing yesterday before I knocked to boat over and broke it in the first place.
that was to connect ad thread the internal wiring through the ducting, including the spot lights at the front of the cabin and the upper bulkhead lights...….I opted for soft lighting in two sets of 6 led's...all were fitted under the false ceiling and routed through the ducting that caused all the trouble yesterday.
then it was to the mast. although it should slot into a 3d printed bracket which had broken beyond use I decided to use some mild steel copper coated wire, looping it around the base of the mast and secured through what remained of the printed bracket. I know it isn't to scale for the purists and rivet counters, but a] it would take god knows how long to obtain another replacement from Speedline, b] I might damage the T mast removing the remains of the broken on, c] the alteration I have made will be infinitely stronger than the original fitting knowing my clumsiness, and finally d] who the hell will see it from 50 metres out in the lake.
I have also started rewiring the led's but need 2 new ones from mick.whites as all took a hit, and I have already fitted the blue flashing. I have decided not to fit a working orange flashing light, but fit a dummy light, as in reality this would only ever flash if there was water in the engine room/bilges...….and then only temporarily unless she was sinking...………...and I doubt whether that scenario will ever take place...…...having said that I am a clumsy sod at the best of times.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0746

https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/15/04/81/87/img_0747.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/15/04/81/87/img_0748.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/15/04/81/87/img_0749.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/15/04/81/87/img_0750.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am

don't know what went wrong with that lo...…..try later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Anyone building the Models by Design Shannon with the KBH Waterjets and modified nozzles.........….please don't rely just on the thin brackets that hold the buckets in place, as the stress and strain of moving them by model aircraft aero links is far two much, and they just ping off as I found on micks model to my consternation this evening, and once you have made the jets up its too late really to do a decent job of strengthening them prior to fitting the buckets...

….Both pinged off tonight when I made the servos move by hand...…..I have had to use 2mm thick strips of plasticard to strengthen them up, and unfortunately its not pretty, but hopefully one it has set tomorrow and painted up, it won't look too noticeable.

However, with some fore thought and knowing that these thin brackets wouldn't hold, a better job and a neater job could have been done prior to fitting. . 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0753

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0752

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0754

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0755

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0756

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0757
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 8:13 pm

its not often that things go badly wrong on a build, but to encounter two within a few days is even more unusual, and something like this knocks the stuffing out of even the most inspired and confident builders,...………. and last night two mistakes, one though my clumsiness and the other through poor design and both on different boats, knocked the wind out of me...and I just had to shove the models to one side and sit down, have a couple or 3 beers, think how to solve the problems in my head, not the boats[ had already done that...………]….and take some time out!

so, today spent most of the day writing obscenities in the grime build up on the drive with my power washer, until two Jehovah's witnesses paid a call, looked at my drive , the sardonic  look on my face and scuttled off down the road, bypassing the rest of the houses in their haste to escape. I knew then, with a smile on my face that all was good in the world and I now knew what to do with the models...…..

I finished power washing the drive, did some much needed weeding of the garden, and then later today got back into the garage to continue the sojourn.

first I used industrial  strength Velcro to hold the servos firmly into their small boxes. [job 1 complete], and then, more importantly to conquer the problem with the snakes and the directional nozzles.

I drilled the clip connecter first with an 0.5mm bit to take some securing wire...……...then placed the snake inside the clip, and again drilled with the same bit. finally I took them apart after marking their joint position with a pencil, threaded the snake  back through the tube, and then glued the snake onto the clip, and  pushed the securing wire through the predrilled holes, and have left them to set hard on their own, rather than use accelerator spray.

tomorrow I'll tidy them up, and twist the securing wire around the clips to make sure they don't fall out in the water. I will also touch up the paint on the clips, and the ugly but essential support blocks that now hold the brackets from breaking free. I would suggest to anyone that is building a Models by design  Shannon that similar supports for those thin brackets ARE ESSENTIAL...…….how neat and formed you want to do them is your own choice, but they do need supporting. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2147

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2148

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2149

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2150
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 6:10 am

Keep going Neil. I'm off for a couple of weeks on a full size ship and expect to see 'on the water' photos of these two when I get back  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

barriew wrote:
Keep going Neil. I'm off for a couple of weeks on a full size ship and expect to see 'on the water' photos of these two when I get back  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
you'll be lucky mate....micks is going down to Cornwall in just over 2 weeks and I've lost one of the shaft couplings to my boat, and his is going to Cornwall without electronics for mick to supply and fix himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 11:18 pm

anyway...…….today started how yesterday finished...….more stress , more trials and tribulations and then...……..well all I can say is triumph....
started fitting the jet nozzles to the Speedline boat.....I'd only had the boat in the water once ages ago to test water tightness after I had fitted the bodies of the jets.....the 8 fixing Allen screws had gone rusty within days of immersion.........and as I could only find 5 this morning, I went up to my local engineering stores and bought some stainless steel ones. the jets were fitted...…..

came to fit the motors, and one coupling was missing......couldn't find it on the work benches in any boxes anywhere...…...but hey ho! eureka...…...I found my long missing chuck key to my minicraft drills...….been missing for 4 or more years.....and so fitted one motor complete with rubber seal....

so phoned Adrian gosling to ask if I could buy a new one...….only problems he was in foreign climes but promised to make me one when back in ten days....but after I rang off I picked up a rag to wipe it off some muck from the paint work and there, stuck to the rag was the missing coupling...…..emergency averted...….

so once this one was fitted, I also connected the servos in position to the connecting rods for the buckets and nozzles...….tomorrow I'll fit the servo boxes permanently, and once set, connect the servos.…..

once this has been done its just a matter of fixing all fittings to the boats, which have all been painted...…….hopefully now plain sailing to the finish point.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0758

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0759

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0760

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0761

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0762

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0768

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0763

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0764

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0765

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0766

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0767
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 am

Neil seriously you do NEED to put some LOCK nuts on the rods going into the clevis pins to stop the rod turning.....or when it is set up with your rc you can then solder the rod to the clevis or they will defo move...Been there had the Tee shirt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 10:03 am

stavros wrote:
Neil seriously you do NEED to put some LOCK nuts on the rods going into the clevis pins to stop the rod turning.....or when it is set up with your rc you can then solder the rod to the clevis or they will defo move...Been there had the Tee shirt
cheers mate, will do....……...once I have glued the servo holders down and they have set I shall dig into my spare parts bin...…………….

but you have disappointed me sorely, I'm distraught
…………………...not a single mention from anyone about my runaway chuck key.

is everyone asleep.  lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Don't worry at all Neil you will have LOST it AGAIN in a couple of days or even hours  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 am

stavros wrote:
Don't worry at all Neil you will have LOST it AGAIN in a couple of days or even hours  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! ./…………….how true you are mate...……..I just love your honesty,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 8:21 pm

I was hoping to finish mick and my boats by next weekend but sadly with the final few days of my dads life before he passed away just over 2 weeks ago and then the two weeks helping my brother with this and that, leading up to the funeral on Friday my mind has been on other things than model lifeboats...…...

but I did a little today by painting and masking up the 8 hatch lids for the aft end of the two boats, and painted them this afternoon with the textured paint to match the decks. 

tomorrow I'll hand paint the chrome and silver bits and then fit into the recesses on the boats. 

I have also fitted the "glass" into the frames of Micks boat and spray painted with matt black from the insides to black out his cabin. these I will leave out of the recesses to the cabin until the final moment as the open windows give a good hand hole when moving the cabin about. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2210

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2215
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 pm

the rear hatch covers for both models now finished apart from putting the screw heads on the hinges of micks boat..which I will do in an hour or so when the silver paint has dried.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0769

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0770

And then i went on to the  safety guide rail fittings port and starboard for clipping crews safety links on to whilst out at sea.

the white metal fittings were supplied to me by my friend Dave Metcalf in two varieties and sizes of bottle screws, and I fabricated the fixing brackets. the black safety line is cord covered tungsten trace fishing line.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0771

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0772

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0773
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 12:33 pm

today, it was time to get the two hulls ready for drilling the ruffle hole in the bow keelson section for both boats.

they all have one for running the securing strop through to a carriage, but the Fleetwood boat doesn't have strops nor does she have guide brackets for the strops, unlike micks St Ives boat does...…….so have his brackets to add .

below shows the ruffle hole in the bow keelson of the Fleetwood boat, no brackets either, as I had been told by someone that all boats did have. I won't mention their name to save embarrassment lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0774

now, to drill through the keelson top take the surrounds, I would need to block it off somenow, or our boats would sink, as the interior keel is hollow...…….

so I dug out my can of grp polyester resin, and mixed it up with some catalyst before raising the stern of each boat and pouring some resin into the bow end...……...that will be left to set for a couple of hours, as I didn't want to put too much catalyst in for fear of making a hot mix and distorting the hull grp.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0775
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm

i think th resin has had its day, as although I put a minimum catalyst into it, it hardened and cracked, so I have topped it off with polyester filler and can now drill the ruffle hole. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0776

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0848
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 5:32 pm

the holes were drilled, just oversized, and brass eyelets were inserted either side, to give a finished look to the ruffle hole.

once glue had set I masked the skeg that runs from bow to stern skid and painted satin silver, first coat,,,,,,,

another will be given to it once the paint has dried. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0849

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0850

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0851

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0852

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0853
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Neil please please STOP using darned car filler to do jobs like that only one product to do that and thats P40 GRP  filler.......2 reasons.....1 FILLER is porus.........2 P40 is resin mixed with chopped strand matting and is 100% waterproof......having seen one person having used filler to mount his shafts in and seen the results.....YES i know there is resin under the filler but it is cracked....porus filler = GLUG GLUG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm

tonight whilst I was waiting for the paint on the keels of the two boats to dry, I decided to  do a few small jobs on the cabins and decks that needed finishing off.

1st...…….to make a new searchlight bracket that was slashed when the mast was broken...…..made fron a 6mm strip of brass, drilled, bent and fitted...…….job done but for painting. 

2nd...…...fit the aft service and storage hatches to both boats...….done

3rd...…...repair the main light platform that was broken in the fall, and strengthen it . I used 1mm plasticard in two pieces, wrapping them round the mast, and cutting two holes for the 5mm  LED's leads to run under the platform...…….done.

I'm motoring now, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0854

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0855

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0856

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0857

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0858

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0859

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0860

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0861

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0862

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0863
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2019 10:45 pm

stavros wrote:
Neil please please STOP using darned car filler to do jobs like that only one product to do that and thats P40 GRP  filler.......2 reasons.....1 FILLER is porus.........2 P40 is resin mixed with chopped strand matting and is 100% waterproof......having seen one person having used filler to mount his shafts in and seen the results.....YES i know there is resin under the filler but it is cracked....porus filler = GLUG GLUG

thats what I am using mate, P40...…….. always have from years gone by...………….I only call it car body filler because I buy it from a car paint shop in Blackpool. but I buy the unstranded stuff without glass strands...……...easier to say.

but, wrist slapped, i'll refer to it as p40 in future matey. 

save me being told off lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 8:30 pm

the next task was to fabricate the safety line that runs underneath the hand  rail on either side of the cabin...….as said earlier, made from brass links made from wire connected to the bottle screws supplied by my friend dave……..they look reasonably affective.

then the "steel" gate was added to the flying bridge, and am in the middle of cutting two frames for both boats that holds something [ I know not what at the moment] that is fixed to the bulkhead next to the tannoy microphone.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0864

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0865

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0866

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0867
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 pm

right, that's it for tonight.....a few more bits added to micks boat...… and its beginning to look half decent considering its being put together by a moron who is hating the job of building them both......roll on finishing them, 

but am concentrating on micks model so I can take it to Cornwall so he doesn't miss too many shows exhibiting it.......

the windows, have been glued in, the brackets for the two main RDF areals fitted and the bow RDF receiver fixed,.....

I have also got the window wipers out of the box of fittings I made and are ready for fitting...…...but they look fiddly, and I've run out of stamina and more to the point patience so don't want to blunder ahead and ruin the job......so, having run out of beer, I think a nice gin and tonic is calling.....

cheers guys. till tomorrow,

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0868

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0869

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0870

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0871

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0872

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0873

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0874

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0875
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 4:11 pm

time marches on and more little bits get mated up to micks boats...…….

this morning/afternoon were the windscreen wipers, hatch handles, hinges and other little bits and pieces. all scratch copied from the speedline fittings

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2216

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2217

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2218

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2219

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2220
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 4:46 pm

I am getting really excited now, its beginning to look more and more like the real thing. I still have many shows and lifeboat days at which to exhibit this beautiful model, I think I am going to need more display space! I have already had another shed built in my garden, to accommodate and carefully store some of them, but have no more room for any sheds or anything else. Despite the setbacks Neil has had, he is still doing a wonderful job on both models, and I can't wait to have this one to sit alongside my new Severn, and watch people's faces as they see how superb they are.  bounce bounce bounce bounce Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 pm

windscreen washers and pipes have been fitted.

also I got down to making the boat hooks for the two boats...…...couldn't lay my hands on any 3mm dowel, but whilst looking a came across 3 lengths of kite rods that I picked up once from a broken kite on Fleetwood beach, made from GRP...………..thought they might come in someday...…...that was nearly 12 years ago when the kids were young...………...well, tonight aemon……...this is your life...………...they did...……….made my boat hooks out of them, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0876

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0877

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0878

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0879
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 1:34 am

I wholeheartedly commend you for your perseverance on all these small fiddly bits Neil "" VERY WELL DONE ""
A SUPERB MODEL OVER ALL AS ARE ALL YOUR BUILDS.

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 pm

thank you Damien...…..……..i'll enjoy the Queenscliffe more though lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 4:11 pm

IT's all the small bits that take the time I didn't estimate on...…….

first was adding the threaded screws to the three "bollards" for each boat and then fitting the first to micks boat.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0880

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0881

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0882

then it was the turn of the two life raft canisters, and the retaining straps and tie links...…..the black straps were made from sticky black plastic and the retaining links from brass wire. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0883

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0884

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0885

and then i was about to fit them, and i suddenly realised that the floors of the under  storage area for the small raft canister AND the entrance to the cabin, had not been painted with the textured aged iron paint, that i had so much problems with........so they both needed painting.

however they are so inaccessible for masking and getting a spray can into, i decided to mask off the lower edge of the entrance with tape and carefully brush paint them. i sprayed some paint into a margarine tub and let it go "off" for a few minutes. but even then, trying to paint it with a soft brush left it smearing and clinging to the brush rather than the floor, so, just like stippling grp resin into the matting, I stippled the floors with the flat of the brush rather than the end...…….it looks ok at the moment...…..just have to wait until it cures and dries for the finished result. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0886

and finally, I painted the  boat hooks, Baliol blue for the starboard side, and white for the port side. this colouring goes back to the days of pulling/sailing boats when those out on a shout in hurricane gales when little could be heard, the coxs'n could actually shout Blue or white to get the nearest oarsman to use oars for steerage.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_0887

might do soe more tonight once the textured paint has dried......gawd, I don't want to mess that lot up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 11:12 pm

at least Mick French's boat gets her pennant number and a few bow and cabin fittings, even if she isn't named yet...…... 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 20190610

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 20190611

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 20190612

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 20190613

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 20190614
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 11:45 pm

just slogging away now fitting the parts that I had already painted or small wiring sections [mock] to detail the boat. the pictures show all.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2221

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2222

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2223

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2224

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2310

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2225

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2311

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Img_2312
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next