TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 7:10 pm

As if you could forget to make a part for me,feeling upset now.Love the idea of the pill cover for the blue light cover!
Just had a thought seeing you drilled your finger,please dont take up piercing or tatooing,I dont think customers will want your version of a teabag piercing with all the perforations lol
What with the wonderful work on the models(not fingers) being done ,by both yourself and Stav,AND hearing the good news about Mick in Canada,and the wonderful day out I had yesterday exhibiting my HMS RAMILLIES model,it has really cheered me up this weekend.
Thanks guys,I can never repay your kindness
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
As if you could forget to make a part for me,feeling upset now.Love the idea of the pill cover for the blue light cover!
Just had a thought seeing you drilled your finger,please dont take up piercing or tatooing,I dont think customers will want your version of a teabag piercing with all the perforations lol
What with the wonderful work on the models(not fingers) being done ,by both yourself and Stav,AND hearing the good news about Mick in Canada,and the wonderful day out I had yesterday exhibiting my HMS RAMILLIES model,it has really cheered me up this weekend.
Thanks guys,I can never repay your kindness
Mick F

don't you worry...…….i'll think of some way, lol.  bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 1:46 pm

so the boats have been sprayed so superbly by Stavros for mick and myself it is now ready for me to start adding all the parts that I have been feverishly making for micks boat behind the scenes and painting both sets ready for just adding...….

but not until I have made the wiring looms for the deck lights on both vessels and installed them tidily...…..once these have been done I shall just follow my nose and add the fittings in a sequence that saves me damaging others that have been added before the next batch...….a tall order. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Waterl10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Waterl11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 05, 2019 4:21 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm

the title of this thread says it all, lol bounce bounce bounce bounce 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 20190510

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 20190512

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 20190511
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 05, 2019 8:22 pm

I have finally got them out of the car where they were safe and transferred them to my workshop...…….and I did it without putting a knock ding bump or scratch on either of them...……...which I was dreading due to my clumsiness...…..have added a couple of fittings to mine temporarily just to give it a bit of realism...……...but I could stand looking at them all night...…….superb work from Dave, my friend for painting them.

I am now looking forward to finishing them...…..

first comes the deck lights for both, and interior lights for mine. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1949

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1950

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1951

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1952

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1953

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1954

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1955

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1956

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1957

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1958

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_1959
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Well obviously I haven't seen the paint job in the flesh, but can see from the photos what an outstanding job, Dave Stavros Jones has done on both of our Shannon models.I have met so many people on my travels, and feel very privileged to be able to have some of them as friends. Stav, thank you matey, for being so good to me.
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyTue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm

MORE...……..OF THE JOB I'VE BEEN DREADING!!!...…………

wiring up all of the lights on our boats...…..mick talked me into reluctantly wiring all of the lights into the two boats...…...he says they look better in the dark with lights on...……

I DON'T SAIL IN THE DARK MATEY...…….PERHAPS I SHOULD......to relieve the stress of arguing daughters, lol. 

anyway.....thought i'd start at the stern and do it like a ring maid, as each LED is fitted with a resistor to take 12v...

but there in lay a problem,,,,,the two most aft were inaccessible because of the superstructure, and so I used micks as a Guiney pig and drilled where I could to make the last holes just assessible……...think I have it cracked...………….and so, I glued the led's into the predrilled holes from the inside with supaglue, after testing each one before fitting....once they have set, i'll trim the wiring and solder each to the next in line so that at the end, i'll just have the two wires to attach to a plug that will go into a switch that mick has bought for the purpose. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2010

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2011

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2012

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2013

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2014

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2015

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2016
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyTue May 07, 2019 9:00 pm

took me some time and some foul language but Micks deck lights are now lit up like a Christmas tree.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2017

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2018

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2019

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2020

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2021
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:44 am

Looking great Neil if the LED's seem too bright you could increase the resistor value this will reduce light output.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 9:59 am

Damien wrote:
Looking great Neil if the LED's seem too bright you could increase the resistor value this will reduce light output.

I can always paint them black...…….my solution to lights on models, lol.  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Hope you learned how to knit with all those wires
Knit one purl one. 
Damien, the resistors were pre wired, and if too bright at the set 12v,would reducing the voltage supply lessen the brightness?
Mick F
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
Hope you learned how to knit with all those wires
Knit one purl one. 
Damien, the resistors were pre wired, and if too bright at the set 12v,would reducing the voltage supply lessen the brightness?
Mick F
YES

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:51 pm

no point having lights on yer boat matey if they are dim...……..how will you see it in the dark...……..lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 5:28 pm

another two hours this afternoon saw me sorting out the wiring that looked like spaghetti and also causing flickering of two lights. I de-soldered it all and went through it step by step, finding the faults [ yes numerous loose soldered wiring, which I re-soldered and then instead of soldering all together, I used wiring crimps and scotch blocks...….so now, all lights work.....permanently, lol...…...take time with the next ones.

and as a side to this the wiring looms were tidied up. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0535

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0536

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0537
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 5:49 pm

I shall leave my boat to fit the LED's for a day now, help my stress level diminish before I stack it up to feaver point again doing mine, lol...………

and so I started looking at the belting around my Shannon...…...I am in a bit of a quandary!!!

when Mick in Canada bought my boat for me as a present and ordered it in the early month of 2016 Adrian had made the belting out of hard resin. However within a few sets of mouldings, he had found that the mouldings became very hot during curing and this process was having a profound effect upon the moulds...…..creating heat and expanding the moulds, so that with every casting of the hard resin the moulds were expanding because of the heat and the belting mouldings were coming out bigger and bigger.
so he stopped using the moulds, and resin, remade the masters and started moulding in a rubber resin...……

he didn't realise this until after I had taken the model home, and he got in touch to tell me the new rubber mouldings were on their way to me and once I had received them to through the hard resin ones away...…..

but being the hoarder I am I kept the hard ones. I checked them some time ago, and being one of the first sets out of the moulds they had not expanded and are actually exactly the same as the rubber resin ones...…

so! the quandary is, do I use the soft rubber ones or the harder resin ones...……….TBH the harder resin ones actually look more like the real thing. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2022

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2025

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2024

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2026

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2027
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 2:19 pm

If it were my choice Neil, it would be the rubber one every time, if only for the cushioning effect when coming alongside. Or of course if you are like me, hitting other boats lol
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 7:29 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
If it were my choice Neil, it would be the rubber one every time, if only for the cushioning effect when coming alongside. Or of course if you are like me, hitting other boats lol
Mick F

make a good weapon against all those you don't like at the lakeside, lol. I really am undecided though...……...the hard resin fenders look nicer.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 8:36 pm

hi neil

I find that rubber tends to leave indentations on it if you happen to store it next to a sharp or blunt edge or against something over a long period,  while in storage. so my reply is the hard resin. Idea Thumbup 

davidjt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm

BUILDING CAME TO AN ABRUPT STOP TODAY.....WHY!!!? you ask...…

there I was happily gluing the LED'S into my cabin...…..and whilst holding one until the superglue set, I looked up out of the window to the nesting box sat on the window sill of the garage and to a blue tit sat on the washing line with a beak full of worms and grubs......shaking its bloody head at me, and refusing to go into the box to feed its chirruping fledglings...……

so I got up and removed myself from its line of sight and it flew into the box...…….

so I returned to my seat and carried on...….next minute the bloody thing was sat on the window sill again with a beak full of tasty morsels…...tapping its bloody beak on the window glass...…..

it's MY workshop I said, but it wouldn't go until I left the garage and back into the house.....

poor little sods will starve if I go back in, so for peace and quiet all work has stopped until they have flown the coup......turfed out my own workshop by a clutch of little birds.…..hope the little fluffy things realise the bovver they have caused me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Put some cardboard on the window to cover it and carry on
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 09, 2019 11:27 pm

stavros wrote:
Put some cardboard on the window to cover it and carry on

you know the state of my workshop mate...……..I wouldn't be able to see anything then lol...……..anyway...……...i'll start early and wake those little sods up, lol. 
/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyFri May 10, 2019 5:45 pm

this morning was my trip down to Blackpool airport industrial park to an electrical suppliers fort some Jelly crimps.
these are small wire crimps suffused with a substance similar to none setting silicon which when two wires are passed through and crimped together to make an electrical "circuit", the "jelly" makes a waterproof barrier against water and damp...………

I needed these crimps to bind the wiring for the LED'S together on my boat I tried it a different way on micks boat, and although all lights work and the wiring sound it took me just over 4.5 hours in all to do his boat.………...I was sure that there was a quicker way and knowing I had a bag full in my workshop that I found over 10 years ago on the road side, I thought I would use them...……..could I find them yesterday...…………….errr NO!...……..So when the little dicky birds stopped play yesterday, I was relieved and set to finding some on ebay...…£4.50p for a hundred.

this afternoon I set too wiring my lights up...…...took me just under 2.5 hours, so that outlay was well worth it...……..

and this afternoon I switched them on for the first time...……...eureka ….I have a floating Christmas tree, lol.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_202<a href=like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2029

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2030

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2031

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2032

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2033

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2034
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySat May 11, 2019 10:53 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyMon May 20, 2019 2:13 pm

It looks messy, but all cabin lights and wiring have now been added, and glued into place with a silicon type glue that is very good with odd materials to odd materials.

also, at the last fitting of deck lights I just didn't have enough of them so saved a few for the fitting at the harder to access fore and aft end of the cabin until there additions had been ordered and sent...……..as they will be with me in the next day or so, I have now drilled the holes ready and will splice they in to the main ring main of lighting harness, hopefully tomorrow or the next day...………..once this has been done, I can get on with the building. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2110

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2111

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2112

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2113

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2114
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 22, 2019 11:51 am

I have a 10 way switch to fit to each of micks and my models....these allow the plugs from the different features such as lights, spot and search lights and radar to be switched on/off, and then this is connected to the receiver......I have already determined the position in micks boat, as there are no internals going into the cabin, but with my boat I wonder, 

if I fit it to the underside of the deck at the stern, will the brushless motors interfere with the switch and receiver electrically or not, as they would sit almost directly above the motors. they have both had plasticard boxes made to encase them against water ingress or physical damage. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2115

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2116

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2117

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2118
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 22, 2019 2:44 pm

now that all of the main cabin deck lights have been added I masked up around the brackets and such for the flying bridge hand rails etc. the stuff I use for small masking jobs is Humbrol Maskol. this is a rubbery compound that paints on to the surface and prevents overpainting.....once the painted area dries, the Maskol just rubs off.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2119

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2120

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2121
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyWed May 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Then it was the turn of the interior of the cabin.........the windows on the outsides were thoroughly masked with both Maskol and then masking tape to stop over spray, to the exterior, and then sprayed satin black from the inside...….

this was only needed on the Speedline boat , as micks is having no interior detail and is having blacked out windows. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2122

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2123

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2124

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2125
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: quality control!!!   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 1:12 am

in general, the quality of the parts in this "super kit" is superb, but there are so many frustrating little things that have actually made me sad at times, and angry at others...….

tonight I set about putting the sticky black precut tape around the window "glass" before inserting into the window frames of the cabin, on the Speedline model....……

imagine my frustration when, after putting the black vinyl onto the two shaped forward windows, and then progressing from the front 3 windows to the four oblong windows, I find a miss print of the wider vinyl black frames...……….there are 4 of the thinner framing pieces, fine...…….right number, and then going on to find that ONLY THREE of the wider framing transfers have been printed...…………..ITS NOT BLOODY ROCKET SCIENCE to draw 4 transfers on the sheet  for 4 windows, instead to leaving the builder just 3 to play with...……….

luckily I have plenty of black vinyl stick on sheeting and have solved the problem by starting to make a frame from my supplies...…………………..but this omission SHOULD NOT HAPPEN...…….not at the price of this kit...………….and how long would it take to get one replacement frame...…....god only knows...…………..I really will be glad when this build is finished.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2126

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2127

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2129

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2130

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2131

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2132

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2133

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2134

the width has been marked on the frame, and the centre will be cut out tomorrow, once it has had time to stick, as the adhesive isn't nearly as strong as those supplied in the kit...……….but it is far better than waiting for a single replacement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 2:05 pm

the centre of the last window has been cut out, and the window is almost a perfect match for the others. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2135

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2139

Last edited by nhp651 on Thu May 23, 2019 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 2:13 pm

the hand rails on the flying bridge of both boats have now also been brush painted using a perfect match grey from Humbrol to the Halfords polar grey spray paint used for the deck rails and stanchions.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2136

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2137

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2138
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 2:22 pm

And finally for this mornings work...……..when Dave sprayed my models, he forgot to spray the small flat transom on the Speedline boat that takes the station name. and so I got out a rattle can of Baliol blue, masked the stern and rear of cabin off and gave the small area a lick of paint. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2140

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2141
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm

OK OK OK Ill have to give you 11/10  for that one  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 8:58 pm

stavros wrote:
OK OK OK Ill have to give you 11/10  for that one  lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Dave
FROM YOU MATEY...…………. that is the equivalent of an honorary degree....cheers, much appreciated....………...oh yes, forgot i'm picking one of those up in July………..wonder if they'll give it me in model boat building lol. 

and now to the next stage...…….

now to the next stage...………..fitting the belting.
as I said earlier I have two choices that my kit came with...….the original hard moulded belting which had to be abandoned after just 3 sets of moulds were mate...………...and what is now supplied the softer rubber.
I finally after dry fitting each set a few times, I have chosen the hard moulded compound, and for two reasons.
1] it looks more realistic and nearer to the real boats than the rubber set. and 2] whilst cleaning some hard residue from the rubber ones this afternoon whilst dry fitting, I plucked the surface with my finger nail...…..
so if a finger nail can disfigure them enough to show, then the concrete ponds that I sail in will rip them apart eventually...……...and you can't really start filling groves in rubber...…...so the choice has been made...…….hard over soft. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2142

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2143

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2144

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_2146
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 26, 2019 4:38 pm

working to a time scale now...…..a pre destined date set from circumstances I can no longer escape from, and so have been working today, not normal for a grand prix day, lol...………...even though I refuse to pay those robbing bar stewards sky for the privilege of watching it live, it is still a day of rest lol. 

but today, I noticed that I hadn't painted the separation strip between the rubber belting on micks boat as I had promised Stav……….so masked that off and hand painted with Humbrol enamel.

then it was on to the array of buttons and dials for the flying bridge...….there is method in my madness as these are just small parts.

but if I don't do them now, it will be more difficult to apply once the main mast is set in place, as my fingers are just not that nimble any more...…...later, once the paint has dried I'll stick them on both boats...……….

I also, with agreement with mick, used a waterproof fabric pen to apply rivets [ to replace the nickel silver ones that are printed on the Speedline model] on the engine access plates on the top of the superstructure roof...….using a guide I did as best as my shaky hands would allow.

onward and inexorably, I march for a definite delivery date of July 2nd 2030...……………...nah, I don't mean it mick...……..will 2019 do you...…..that's 5 weeks this coming Tuesday!!!   affraid affraid affraid affraid Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0547

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0548

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0549

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0550

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0551

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0552

Tomorrow I pick up a glue called CT1  from a company near me, which is both waterproof and super strength, that I am going to add the belting with...……….close your ears and prepare for foul language emanating from upt norf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 26, 2019 5:16 pm

top and bottom beginning to look good together.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0553

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0554

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0555

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0556
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm

another job I have had to remake is the large waterproof access hatch at the stern...…

was nothing wrong with the original one, but sadly made of timber, and stored incorrectly for a good few months since I made and fitted it...……...it has since warped and rode up at opposing corners,

so I used it for a template and remade it using 3mm plastic card, and weighted it down whilst gluing and setting with two batteries and 5 ltrs of thinners, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 20190513

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 20190514
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySun May 26, 2019 11:54 pm

the new plasticard hatch fits well, but sadly can I get any paint out of the textured paint can...……...can I heck...……..had the push tops in soak in cellulose thinners for 2 hours off both the empty and full cans, can blow through them both in both directions freely, but nowt will come out......Stav says one is empty but i'm sure the other is a full can...……...so all I can think is that the full one has depressurised……..

so its off to home base tomorrow for another can of the same, and whilst there i'll try the new top on the old can...…….and if it still don't work then i'll ask them to swap it for another new one. bahhh humbug...….I can do without that, bummer. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0557

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0558
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 5:05 pm

i did some work on the flying bridge this afternoon, in preparation for mounting the mast. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0559

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0560

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0561

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0562

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0563

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0564
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyTue May 28, 2019 3:19 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 2:59 pm

a little titivating up of the satin black to the interior of the Speedline cabin was needed where I couldn't get the spray can in to cover...………….but how.

a normal brush was too long to get into the corners and upper frames,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a rag with paint on it...…….perhaps...……...and then...….

problem solved. as I moved my chare back I ran over a paint brush and snapped the end off about 40mm long including the brush itself...……...perfect, and even more perfect the bristles were an angled head.....sheer fluke.

the problem I had been contemplating had been solved purely by accident. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0610

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0611
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 3:33 pm

and then...……..the part I have been dreading almost as much as fitting the jets in the early stages...…….the belting around the deck flanks of both models.

I had finally decided to fit the harder of the two materials I had been supplied from Speedline as an early kit. only 2 -3 models had been supplied with this in the very early production run, and it looks a little more realistic than the rubber fenders look.

it needed some sanding on the inside lips to get it to fit snugly but after a bit of work, the first side was dry fitted to see how it pay...……...pretty good I thought.

the MBD model was supplied with a full length of rubber belting for each side, and glues onto the side of the boat with a little lip hooking over the deck.

Both boat hulls were masked up to save as much mess as possible, and I went out to look for a universal glue that would glue firmly all products together, rather than mess about with two separate adhesives.

in our local DIY store a chap...a general builder recommended an adhesive to me that he said would stick "owt to owt", and where to buy it.

the product is called CT1, and is available in all sorts of colours, but I chose black.....it is very sticky. I then set off step by step to glue one of each side on to both boats. any surplus adhesive will be taken off after it has set...…….hopefully by tomorrow, when the second side will be glued on. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0612

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0613

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0614

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0615

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0616

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0617
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 11:09 pm

both sides of fendering now glued on to both boats.

now that this is on, I think we'll se a rapid change in them as we steam towards the end of the build later in june. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0618

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0619
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 1:50 am

Things are getting very close to the end of the build now,and Im getting more exited with each photo added.
I have to pinch myself sometimes,to see if all this is real,and that I do have such friends who would build models of this quality just for me.
Both my new models will be shown very regularly,this year especially,to raise as much as I possibly can for the RNLI, which is the main purpose of my models.
But I am wanting to get this one on the water and have some fun with it also.As that wonderful peŗsona Geraldine  Aka Peter Kaye,sings
THANK YOU
OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN
Mick F.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 5:28 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 9:44 pm

once the adhesive had set on the belting, I knew just how short they were at the bow on Micks boat.....and one side[starboard] was actually about 6mm shorter than the port side, but both left a gap between them and the bow fairlead and roller.

I pondered all morning and some of the afternoon as to how to fill the gaps...……...perhaps building layers of the CT1  adhesive, wooden blocks cut and sanded to shape...……...but the answer was staring me in the face...………...trusty old milliput.

and so I mixed some milliput white and placing a spacer of plasticard and taping it both sides to the bow fairlead, I pressed the milliput into the spaces and shaped initially to fit...…...once set, and sanded to full shape tomorrow they will be painted satin black.

after that, the whole belting will be given a coat of black shoe polish.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0620

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0621
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 12:38 am

the fillets of milliput have now hardened, been trimmed and sanded to fit, and glued in to the bow sections with CT1 adhesive, but not before the rubber belting, the hull and the fillerts have been drilled with holes to give a gluing key to hold all together.

and turning to my boat, the belting has been cleaned, any gaps in the recesses filled with CT1 and the anti slip deck masked up in order to repaint the deck edge trimming, as this was damaged during cleaning and filling of the fendering...…...I shall do this in the morning, after my thick head has abated.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0622

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0623

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0624

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0625

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Img_0626
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 4:41 am

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 12:49 pm

You DAMAGED  my PAINTWORK  how dare you .....KEELHAULING  springs to mind
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next