TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What electrical bits do I choose ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

What electrical bits do I choose ? Empty
PostSubject: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 7:51 am

Now, it seems to me, that there is a need for basic advice for the "Novice" and that's me.

It's very daunting when you look at things like speed controllers, motors, servo's and the like, which voltage do I need, what speed do I need, is there a "Rule of Thumb" guide, if not, can we create some parameter's as a guide, probably a lot of folk will have conflicting ideas but that's OK.

What I don't want to do is buy bits, like I already have done, that I may never use, so your thoughts and ideas please chaps and chap-esses if we have any 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Battery and speed controller will depend on the motor you select you'll need the Voltage and current req'd for the motor these will tell you the minimum speed controller needed in Amps and whether your using a Brushed or Brushless motor.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:38 pm

OK I get that the voltage and all need to be matching but I'm not into this sort of stuff yet and am trying to learn, what would go with this motor please. Barrie suggested this one to me 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:49 pm

forgot to say, these are the [url=[url=https://s798.photobucket.com/user/rhode-island-red/media/Model boats general/SAM_1629_zps05804b56.jpg.html]What electrical bits do I choose ? SAM_1629_zps05804b56[/url]]Batteries[/url] I have for the "Fast Patrol Launch" and was hoping to use these and keep to one type if at all possible, six cells at 1.2v = 7.2v I presume.
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm

hi,
i would use 15amp mtronix plug and play speed controller with 7.2 volt battery pack with 545 or 555 motor which barrie recommends as well from howes models or cornwall models your choice, all are good sellers.plus put 10amp fuse to prevent speed controller smokeing if to many amps . never had any problems with this set up. hope this helps  then as you learn more you can vary what you need. some times when you get a lot of weed round prop it will cause drag and raise the amps till fuse blows that's why it is safer to fit ,simple to change fuse 10p controller 20 pounds plus 

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 5:19 pm

I agree with David - Mtroniks ESC and 7.2 volt battery. An advantage of the Mtroniks ESC is that it provides the supply for the Receiver also - no separate receiver battery required.

If you look on the Component Shop website there are some typical wiring diagrams, although these use Action speed controllers which do NOT have the receiver battery supply.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks chaps, the fuse is a good idea, hadn't thought of that, I think I have a plan now.

Mtroniks ESC and 7.2 volt battery it will be.

I hope this little bit of info that you have provided will be helpful to others in my position 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 2:01 pm

davidjt wrote:
.plus put 10amp fuse to prevent speed controller smokeing if to many amps .
david

Where do I put the fuse chaps, before the speed controller battery side live or after speed controller on the motor ?

Here are some spade type fuse holders I bought from ebay

What electrical bits do I choose ? SAM_1639_zpsdfb47183
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm

If you want to protect your ESC, between the motor and ESC. If you want to protect your battery, between the battery and the ESC...... or of course you could fit both Very Happy Laughing lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Sounds good Barrie, both it shall be 2thumbsup What electrical bits do I choose ? Cheers1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What electrical bits do I choose ?   What electrical bits do I choose ? Empty

Back to top Go down

What electrical bits do I choose ?
Page 1 of 1