TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Float test/ballasting pool

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Float test/ballasting pool Empty
PostSubject: Float test/ballasting pool   Float test/ballasting pool EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am

Some years ago I purchased some surplus Munitions boxes 3' x 1' approx I used one and 1' of another to make a 4' x 5" test tank and since I'm now building side paddlers pretty much useless.

So I've added wings mid length this pic shows the glass cloth in position.

Float test/ballasting pool Tank2_zps4ddcff0d

Float test/ballasting pool Tank1_zpse87fb578

Laid up and awaiting the cure.

Float test/ballasting pool Tank3_zps59d70634
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Float test/ballasting pool   Float test/ballasting pool EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 am

Almost 5hrs since I laid this up 3 possibilities. 1/ too cold. 2/ not enough hardener. 3/ too much styrene thinner.

I leaning toward the first 2 as I only used 4ml of styrene.

If it's not cured by morning I'll scrape it off & wash down with acetone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Float test/ballasting pool   Float test/ballasting pool EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 am

@#*%#@#&* grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 4min of vigorous mixing wasn't enough it seems 70% cured the rest is very sticky I'll have a go at it tomorrow with acetone and start over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Float test/ballasting pool   Float test/ballasting pool EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 am

Quite a bit more was cured and non sticky this morning washed the sticky areas with acetone and mixed more resin when I went out there was some more cussin as I'd forgotten to cut chopped mat to replace the woven cloth I removed when it looked like it wouldn't cure having completed one side it was a race to finish the other as I'd gone gone over board with the Mekp and it was starting to thicken got it finished and hour later trimmed the excess mixed another batch and sealed the trimmed edges and turned the box upside down and brushed resin on the exposed wood of the underside.

Needless to say One happy Modeller.  2thumbsup  lol!  2thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Float test/ballasting pool   Float test/ballasting pool Empty

Back to top Go down

Float test/ballasting pool
Page 1 of 1