TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sea Road Lady

Go down 
+2
Footski
davidjt
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 6:35 am

2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup very nice

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 am

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4cv5_zpsa4dea5a2

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4cv4_zpsf9c60a06

Added a driver and passenger.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4cv6_zpsa5d207b6

Also bought 3 more cars another Dauphine and an A310.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 A310-douph_zpsc2ab2293

And a 1952 RENAULT 4CV Barquette des Records Vernet Pairard.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 52record4cv_zps15b5f62c
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am

Final coat of satin clear on the hull and super structure supports and railings.
Some pics tomorrow if it's fully dry.

It was dry my attempt at rust weathering is fair I got busy with clear 5min epoxy and glued bums and feet in suitable positions.
Fittings added to bridge roof. Water tank in place and life boats glued down. Overall it'coming together.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Details3_zps90f0b6b2

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Details5_zpsdee3ae59

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Details4_zpsdf6f131a

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Details2_zps805602da

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Details1_zps5070ae3d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

Vehicle ramps and 9 of the 10 Renault's mounted on the deck.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cars_zpsc119ee6c

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cars1_zps897e171f

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cars2_zpsc3c6e01f

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cars3_zps62306fb2

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cars4_zps2f8c17a0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 am

Passenger ramps done and power to the paddle engine 3 AA NiMh cells.
click on the pic for the video
Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Th_DSCF3125_zps5cf06566

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Th_DSCF3127_zpse695f64a
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 am

Very good Damien  2thumbsup  2thumbsup - now for the water  Laughing 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 8:22 am

superb matey.......It has been great to watch...it's a unique project and has brought plenty of interest, and the finished product is a credit to you......I really like it........a totally unusual and fascinating model of a great boat.........hope you get great pleasure from sailing and showing her.

what's next. neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks Neil I still have to finish the radio install and ballast her Neil as well as make the travel boxes for her and Lady of the lake.
Though next is a paddle barge with caterpillar crane and a load of pipes.

I have finished the plan and made bulkhead templates so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 am

I learned the hard way to ALWAYS cut flats for grub screws if you don't your shafts will become permanent fixtures.]
My spindle bearings are a very close fit and I had to cut the silver steel spindle into 3 pieces to remove it.
I'll buy some bearing blue so I can get a mark on the new spindle where the grub screws make contact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 5:39 am

Needed a waterproof switch so I could have deck screwed down prior to leaving home I chose a screw top milk spout from a 1Lt carton a 20mm circle and some 1.5mm balsa the first pic shows the trimming I had to do.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sw1_zpsc98e92ce

A hole was cut in the deck a close fit to the remainder of the milk pourer and glued with epoxy, being careful to avoid gluing the switch cover to the deck as it was screw to the housing and used to unsure it was flush with the deck when dry. 

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sw2_zps51428ef4

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sw3_zpsff1f7a1a

It doesn't look out of place amongst the cars.
The balsa bungs in the deck fill hols after I changed the position of the cars.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sw4_zps7f31bca4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Nothing happening since last post Came down with the flu felt well but weak yesterday ventured to shed to put away a bunch of ebay purchases then this morning the damn sore throat has returned at least summer seems over .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 3:44 am

The final buy arrived a trailer for the 1952 RENAULT 4CV Barquette des Records Vernet Pairard is made of white metal in kit form.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 T3-Copy_zps0b3ce167

It went together easily.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Trailer_zpsf6ed3d77 

Minor mods to lock the ramps upright.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 T1_zpse58b4d50

With the car aboard I'll paint it shortly.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 T2_zpsa6fd88d2
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 am

nice one Damien I like it  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 am

Fitted a tow bar to the Renault RX4 and safety chain to the trailer.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Trailer_zpsd4576002

And all the cars are mounted where they'll remain, the 4CV and Alpine A110 in the bow are glued in place the rest inplace with nut & bolts.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Bow_zpsfd9394b7

[url=

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sr_zpsa2bb5e91[/url]

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 St_zps360d358c

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Dc_zps4dd57740

I've finished the paddle drive spindle grub screw flats no pic's though it's not very pretty lol
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:04 am

hi Damien,

looks well now all cars are in place  Cool , hope you have good boat insurance for salvage wrights for that lot, will be huge to recover lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!  when will maiden voyage be, must be getting there now 2thumbsup  2thumbsup 

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

Getting closer David still have the RC gear and ballasting to do as well as the transport cases this and the other paddle boat with my health as it is I can't give a final date yet hopefully soon.
I'd hate to lose her there's $300 plus in cars on her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am

RC gear installed and working well took a short video of a wheel turning a tad dark using a torch to light it up.
Click on the pic to start the video. (HTML Code Added Damien For Your Video To Work Within The Forum . RR.)

Now for pic's of the R/c install.
The Rx is in the stern with the 1 1/2" antenna in a tube behind a post on one of the passenger ramps.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 6_zps1549e8e7

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 7_zps80de5c0c

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 8_zps29fafe60

She currently weighs 2.7kg 700g is in the cars on deck.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 1_zpsa7c0ca6d

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4_zpsc51f13bd

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 2_zpse3fc068c

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 3_zps1ef527d4

Last edited by Roadrunner on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed the Video To play Within the Forum (HTML Code) RR Admin)
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Very smart Damien.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I like that very much indeed. well done Damien.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Great work Bud looking forward to a vid/photos of her on the water, good luck with the maiden voyage

2thumbsup 

RR

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks guy's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am

Damn damn damn
Shouldn't have gone back to the shed after dinner one of those moments when you turn the neighborhood air blue I accidentally knocked her off the shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
While in a fit of RAGE I jigsawed a paddle cover  back together and decided enough for today as I was leaving I noticed the bow above the bulwarks is damaged I'll have a better look tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 am

Hopefully things won't look so bad in the morning Damien.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 am

Thanks Barrie once glued back together it doesn't look so bad just a bit of cosmetics to do now.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 1_zps17ed74e4

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 2_zps672faa6c

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 3_zpsdaeed165

The lower half of the travel case finished parts for the upper half were cut from 3mm MDF I hope to start putting it together this afternoon.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4_zpsf52a32a1
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 am

hi Damien,

well done  2thumbsup , nobody will ever no what has happened once you have rubed it down and painted it. try some of your weathering on it more authentic. are you starting with the cold weather now down under.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 am

Hi David. yes it will look ok in the end.
It is starting to cool down still chucks a really warm one each week but they're forecasting a very nasty winter though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:18 am

The broken railing was about 10mm short so i'm molding another from 2 strips of 1.5 x 3mm balsa I soaked them in water and tied them in place  with some elastic to the outside of the remainder rail and left to dry over night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am

The rail repair looks good I'll add a little weathering to add to her ambiance.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Rail2_zps080a31c6

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Rail_zps4d9bcccd

I also got the lid for her transport case made  3 1/2 sheets of 3mm x 60cm x 120cm was used to make this a the lid for the Lady of the Lake after I ran out of c/board at $12 I think it was the cheapest part of the build.
The tape holds it together while the glue dries.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srlbox_zps5670f105

I still have to fit locators to keep them on the trailer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:15 pm

I've finished the transport box polyester resin inside and out and fitted velcro straps to hold the model in place within the box all that's left is some weathering on the damaged paddle box, add ballast the locate strips under the box and finish the radio install.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl2_zps9928e898

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Sr3_zps1eea763b

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl1_zps3218ece5

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl4_zps54c63ca1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

The paddle cover repair weathering came out OK.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Cover1_zps4bed3ece

And a pick of the transport boxes piggy backed on the trailer frame I took the wheels off to get access for welding some steel "U's" for the tie down straps to go through.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Boxes_zps06668574
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: NEED HELP   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 4:05 am

I have the radio installed a 2.4Ghz, 2 ch the motor has plenty of power and the paddles will act as a cooling fan in the summer heat   
I have an issue not sure if it's a problem when power is applied to motor there is a slight movement of the rudder it twitches to the left a little and returns to previous position it only happens at motor start the motor is correctly suppressed, the below deck area is very crowded

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 1_zps035b4ad1

I've put ext leads in to shift the esc away fro the motor I can't put the receiver any further away without putting it on the deck.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 1_zps035b4ad1

And a short video a tad dark the only control being used is the throttle.  Click on the pic to start the video.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Th_DSCF3408_zps1fc11e38

Any ideas will be tried and appropriate accolades given for any that work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am

Problem solved thanks to Paddleducks members.
The twitching stopped when I went to a separate Rx battery.
To be safe I'll change the esc as well as it's rated for 5-7 cells & i'm running 8, with model out of water it pulls 1.08A might need to run two packs in parallel I guess I'll find out in bath test.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 am

Back at it 3 ESC's arrived the BEC wires have been cut, and plugs added to suit my drive battery and wiring 2 switch harnesses.
One ESC for this boat and 2 for the Lady of the Lake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 5:31 pm

all's well that ends well matey................but bloody annoying when it's your own fault..........no other sod to blame, lol

I'm wondering how I'm going to get one of my model lifeboats up to Scotland on holiday with us without breaking bits off it........a box will be too big, so may just pack it in the top box around all the duvets lol.
neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 1:49 am

"no other sod to blame, lol"

So true Neil and it's getting so cold it takes a lot of talking to self to venture out to the shed, I'm determined though to at least do a bit each day.

Although a lapse ins boat/ship modelling I've been busy making a few attachments and mod's to my Taig lathe(US)/(Peatol UK)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 am

I ventured out to shed as the temp approached 9c and pleased to say the wiring is sorted and the first paddler Lady of the Lake is ready for ballasting.

Hopefully I'll get the Sea Road Lady to the same stage tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Almost finished found checking electronics 3 times is not enough while sorting wiring for 2 parallel 8 cell packs I had the ammeter hooked up at power up it showed 4.9Amps I turned the air blue berating myself when I found I'd accidentally wired the second cell in reverse  the batteries got quite hot but appear ok.
I hate to think what would have happened If I had Lipo's.

A tad cluttered but ready to ballast.  

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 1_zps6645b7ea

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 2_zpsc2b02b91

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 3_zpse1aaa2bd

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 4_zps2004bdfb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Who can find the extra switch for the ESC?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Switch10

With a bit of wire to operate it without removing the deck.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm

You win Barrie I thought the actuator wire would give it away  2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 2:40 pm

No - I only saw that after I had posted the photo.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 am

The Lady got her bottom wet today she's very stern heavy and the paddles are way to fast I'll cut the batteries from 2 x 8 cell packs to 5 cell packs and relocate them from amid ship to the bow and remove the equivalent weight in lead.

I also need more tension on the motor slide as the belt slips considerably on the pinion pulley.

pic 1
Bow at waterline as is the stern until I put the upper deck in place.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl1_zps22d997af

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl3_zpsb7094565

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Srl2_zps9c9e6b4e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 4:02 am

It seems you can't buy 5 cell battery boxes so I chose appropriate sizes Dowel cut jus a little shorter than a battery drilled a 2mm hole down the middle & used 1mm copper wire through the hole formed and filled with solder as seen in the pic.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Fakebatteries_zps7050cd61

I recently accidentally bought 20 1800ma AAA cells instead of AA cells so as a weight saving measure I'll use them for Rx batteries.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 AAAbox_zpsf420b4c8
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 am

I found a couple of sellers on ebay that are selling 5 cell battery boxes so after I found how many cell are needed for optimum paddle speed I set it up neatly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:38 am

To the tune of Herman's Hermits There's No Shed Today the warmth has gone away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 1:19 pm

2 x 5 AA cell battery packs in parallel giving 6v at 6Ahr to the 545 motor everything except the ballasting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 8:47 am

She's tail heavy therefore as well as the batteries I have to squeeze this 400g stack of lead buttons into the bow with the batteries.

Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Lead_zps25e99734
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 5:01 am

The Lady was top heavy and somewhat unstable in the tank I weighed the removable deck with 9 of the 11 vehicles on it and she has around 670g on the deck some thought needed on removing some of these classic Renault's. boohoo

I think stabilizers on the hull would  look out of place.
Damien.
Back to top Go down
Bingham driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Bingham driver

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 am

Damien wrote:
To the tune of Herman's Hermits There's No Shed Today the warmth has gone away.

No shed today, the warmth has gone away
My joints are freezin cold
They're makin me feel ooooold.

The warmer days will soon be a commin
A ju-umper I will not need,
Then I'll complain a bout it bein too hot
Just because I ca-aaan.

No shed today...........etc etc.

(feeble attempt I know, but I love the tune!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 10:44 am

lol!  Well done mate  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sea Road Lady   Sea Road Lady - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sea Road Lady
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4