TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Time to keep Neil happy and post one of my builds on here. This one comes about as I can't yet get to my main workspace which is occupied by a 47ft Watson awaiting collection/delivery to Northern Ireland.
I have been following the restoration of the Twin Screw Liverpool class Lifeboat, George Elmy, on Youtube and having a pdf file of the GA drawings of this boat as well as some other section drawings of a Liverpool I decided to build one at 1/6th scale not the usual 1/12th scale.
The main drawing was printed out at at 1/6th scale on my A3 printer and joined to produce a single sheet. This is now too big to handle so was stuck on the only wall capable of holding it in the house, the main bedroom!! (Good job I have an understanding wife who after 40 years has learned to live in a boatyard!!!!)

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat GA-drawing-01

The opposite wall now holds the other section drawings of the boat.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat GA-Drawing-02

As I said earlier I can't work on large boats at the moment so I have decided to do part of the boat that can be done/moved around easily, the engine shelter/casing. This is double diagonally planked in the same way as the hull and at 1/6th scale can be built in the prototypical manner with frames and stringers under the planks.
The first step was to make the base frame. This was steamed, laminated and bent to shape over a full size template and allowed to set overnight.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-01

The main strongback was steam bent to shape over a former and again allowed to set overnight.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-02

A set of formers taken from the drawings were set up at the correct locations and the main strongback let into them (but not glued as the formers will be removed later) and glued to the base frame. Further stringers will be added and the main plank support hoops added next.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-04
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am

I know this is going to be good. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 am

this is going to be an absolute cracker........looking forward to this one.

good on ya Mike.

neil.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Another Great build on its way Neil, looking forward to this one, **Sigh** if only i didn't have to decorate a new house top to bottom before xmas, then i would love to join you all in finishing the dolphin!

gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

After a pleasant weekend at the Blackpool model boat show with like minded lifeboat lunatics, you know who you are !!, it's back to the building.
The rest of the main stringers have been steamed, bent and laminated in position.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-05_zps1504c4ff

The twenty support hoops for the planking are now under way. These also have to be steamed to persuade them to shape without cracking and fixed with the correct lean towards the bow.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-06_zpsfc3d90dc

View of the whole thing as it is today.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-07_zps2b4ca06f

more when the rest of the hoops have been fitted in a few days or so.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm

After much more steaming and bending over the past week the last of the support hoops is in place and the glue hardening!

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-08

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-09

The spaces between the hoops have been filled with timber sections to bring the internal stringers up to the level of the hoops to give a level surface, after a touch of sanding, for the planking.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-10

I have also started fitting the support blocks that sit under the deadlights/portholes on the canopy.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-11
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Oh boy...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm

All the pads for the portholes have now been fitted and the structure sanded to fair in all the corners and edges to give a smooth surface for the planking.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-12

The large portholes have also been started by soldering the protective bars onto the outside faces.These will be fitted after the planking and varnishing is completed.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-13

First layer of planking next!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Brill, mike, , superb stuff.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 3:05 am

Stunning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Just what the others said Mike absolutely lovely.

Do you use a steam box or do you have another ingenious method of soaking the timber in steam?
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

phil winks wrote:
Just what the others said Mike absolutely lovely.

Do you use a steam box or do you have another ingenious method of soaking the timber in steam?
I use a steam wallpaper stripper and a section of 4" diameter plastic pipe to make the timber 'bendy'. It aint rocket science, I like things nice and simple, difficult and complicated, but simple!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 pm

The planking of the first layer is now underway. All day and only four planks on, this will be a slow job as each plank has to be steamed, fitted and trimmed then allowed to cool and dry out in place before being fixed to the frame.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-14

The portholes have now been made. The fixed ones are made from solid brass eyelets from a local rope and tarpaulin makers with brass bars soldered in place. The glazing is done by fixing the finished item to a sheet of cling film covered glass with plasticine and using clear setting epoxy resin.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Portholes-01

The two opening scuttles on the canopy are made using the same eyelets as the fixed ones for the base and the opening section made from several diameters of eyelets and brass washers soldered together. Just need to make the locking part now!

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Portholes-02
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

gribeauval wrote:
I use a steam wallpaper stripper and a section of 4" diameter plastic pipe to make the timber 'bendy'. It aint rocket science, I like things nice and simple, difficult and complicated, but simple!!!!!!

There's a case of great minds Mike exactly what I do Very Happy

Love the scuttles (New name for portholes to me or is there a difference I'm missing)
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm

After much steaming and cursing the planking of the first layer is complete!!!!!
This has now been sanded and filler applied where needed to "improve" the shape on the lower corners.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-15

The rear of the canopy has also been trimmed to the curve of the full size version.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-16

The calico (in this case a cotton pillowcase) interlayer is now being fitted before the top layer of planks is added. This is held in place with a water based resin, normally used by aircraft modellers to skin wings with glass fibre tissue, which has no smell and sets in about 30mins .

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-17

This will be allowed to set for 24 hours before the top layer of planks is started.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Wow calico interlayer very good mike this really is a true scale build Fascinating mate
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 am

I have to show my ignorance and ask, what is the purpose of the inter layer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 am

strength!!, barrie, good solid strength.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Now that the calico layer is fitted and the resin hardened the top layer of planking has commenced.
Each plank is now carefully fitted in place, taking care not to get glue on the top surface, and joggled into the king plank running down the centre line of the canopy.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-18

As well as glue each plank will be nailed in place using small brass nails to simulate the copper ship nails that hold the two layers together. On the outer surface these are punched down and will be filled over when the varnishing is done. This will give the outer surface the 'spotty' appearance seen on the full size article. Inside the nails will be cut off flush with the timber to give the look of the metal roves against the dark timber.

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Canopy-19

See you when I get out of the jacket that has buttons up the back!!!!
Back to top Go down
PaulW
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
PaulW

PostSubject: jacket phobia   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat EmptySun May 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Now there's a real joy working to that sort of standard. something to aspire to, but have to say the funny jackets usually put me off and short cuts look attractive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TS Liverpool Class lifeboat   TS Liverpool Class lifeboat Empty

Back to top Go down

TS Liverpool Class lifeboat
Page 1 of 1