TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A couple of questions about SLA batteries

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

A couple of questions about SLA batteries Empty
PostSubject: A couple of questions about SLA batteries   A couple of questions about SLA batteries EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 2:58 pm

I used to have one in a boat I had about 40 years ago. I think at the time it was a case of 'anything'll do' but now I'm a bit more worldly wise scratch I'm curious about them, hence a couple of questions.

The boat I'm currently building is approx 800mm long and will probably weigh in at around 7kg when fully kitted out (incl battery). It runs 3x 12v 385 motors with 25mm props so my first question is this:

Would something like this
A couple of questions about SLA batteries Sla
be suitable? I'm not interested in light speed capabilities, it will be a plodder and this size of battery will fit nicely inside.

Hence secondly, does it have to be kept upright as in the picture?

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred 1948
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Fred 1948

PostSubject: SLA Battery   A couple of questions about SLA batteries EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Hi Vigo

As it happens I have just ordered a new 6 Volt 12 Ah SLA from Howes.

You need to work out how many amps the motors will draw under load, then you can get the battery with a greater amount of amps than the motors will draw.
The thing with an SLA, you can lay it any way you like, it is left out side of the WTC in some model submarines.

Hope that this is of some help to you.

Fred

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A couple of questions about SLA batteries   A couple of questions about SLA batteries EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 4:28 pm

One big advantage of SLAs is their weight - saves buying lead for ballast!!!! Their disadvantage is that they are no good at delivering high amps for an extended period, but that shouldn't be an issue for you model.

I agree with Fred that you can lay them on their side, but would advise standing them upright to charge them.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
vigo
Gunner
Gunner
vigo

PostSubject: Re: A couple of questions about SLA batteries   A couple of questions about SLA batteries EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 5:46 pm

Fred 1948 wrote:
You need to work out how many amps the motors will draw under load, then you can get the battery with a greater amount of amps than the motors will draw.
Thanks for the pointers there fellas. Everything's great until you start using foreign words  confused

Please forgive the ignorance but how exactly would I do that without a battery?

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: A couple of questions about SLA batteries   A couple of questions about SLA batteries EmptySun Jan 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Vigo

You can find the current draw of the motors on either the Component Shop or MFA web sites. In fact the 12volt 385s have a very low current draw. I think the battery you showed says 3.5 amps - that should be more than enough to give you about an hours running if all 3 motors are in use at all times.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of questions about SLA batteries   A couple of questions about SLA batteries Empty

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions about SLA batteries
Page 1 of 1