TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brede Lifeboat

Go down 
+3
barriew
gribeauval
Swab
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 1:50 pm

What lifeboat station are you naming it for?

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm

The decals supplied are Poole. I may go with that, or I may see what other stations had Bredes. I can cut new names if needed.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Well done Barrie , progress and contentment what else could you wish for eh .
It always looks easy , until the item comes and bite's you when you least expect it , but I'm sure it will be perfect when you finish it Thumbup

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 10:34 am

Poole's okay you could do Invergordon if it's you've got enough space (can't put smilies on my phone!)
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 11:37 am

We were supposed to be going to Invergordon on our cruise, but thanks to the Scottish Govt, we are now sticking to the South Coast. As it includes the Isles if Scilly, we are quite happy. Our previous attempt to visit was abandoned due to strong winds! Hoping for better luck this time lol!

barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 11:48 am

I masked up the hull this morning and gave it a spray of grey primer.  Once dry I painted the deck with Light Grey acrylic - not sure if this is the correct colour. Maybe should have been dark grey Rolling Eyes  I didn't bother covering the windows in the cabin - too many to bother Shocked I was going to spray the stern rails, but the can was empty so I gave it a coat of Appliance White instead. I now realise I still have to fix the Fender Baskets Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked
The paint is on order - the correct BS381c colours.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2112 Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2113

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm

Easy mistake to make its poor or missing masking that gets me every time.
I'm considering joining the paddle steamer preservation society as I'm itching for a cruise on Waverley and you get first notification of what's going on.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am

I marked a waterline this morning and gave the underside a coat of paint. I don't think this is the final colour. The instructions say it should be pink, but looking at the photos of full size boats it appears they were different colours.  I will probably use Humbrol Red/Brown for the next coat.

I have soldered up the forward railings, and made up the fenders. I need these so I can make the baskets. Looking at the photos of operational Bredes, I can't see that any had these baskets, and they are not shown on the RNLI GA drawings Rolling Eyes
My paint should be delivered this evening so hopefully the weather will hold for a few days.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2114

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm

OK, I should have looked a little harder Embarassed Shocked  The underwater colour should be signal red Rolling Eyes  So, I have now added two coats of that colour on top of the brown.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2115

Its probably a bit darker than it should be, but better than the original effort. I also sprayed the cabin in Light Orange the correct BS381c colour.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2116

This used a very small fraction of the can, so if anyone is building a lifeboat I will have part used cans of this and the Oxford Blue of the upper hull available soon. Very Happy

If we don't get the rain that is promised for tomorrow, then I hope to get the blue sprayed, after masking the red and the deck.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 12:52 pm

No rain this morning so after a few domestic chores I set about masking the hull ready for spraying the upper hull. I wasn't sure I would be able to do it this morning, but luckily the weather held and I was able to give it several coats.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2117

Whilst waiting for the paint to harden, I started painting the window frames. I started by painting the white frames with silver paint, but it wasn't very successful, and then I remembered reading somewhere that silver was best painted over black, so I have given them a coat of matt black.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2118

After removing all the masking tape, this is what the hull looks like now.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2119

My red lining tape arrived this morning, so after re-painting the deck I will be able to apply that and the white boot topping.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm

This is a slightly worrying photo Shocked

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2120

It looks as though some of the window frames have not covered very well. I think (hope) its only the lighting of the photo as I am pretty sure they are all now silver Rolling Eyes  In addition to this I repainted the deck and fender edge ready to apply the red stripe tape. However before that I have to find a way to repair the rudder linkage. The pushrod connector has fallen out of one of the tiller arms - the nut had worked loose. There is very limited access - at least I did cut the two hatches.  Shocked  I think I will have to remove the whole linkage and then set it all up again.

I also spent around half an hour sanding the two halves of the life raft container. There was at least 2mm excess resin on each half. The difficulty is keeping the surface flat and true. I think I am about there and can stick them together next session. I wish I had a bench sander Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 pm

If you've got a sheet sander you could carefully try holding the 2 halves against the pad, I'd ask for help though to be safe - or less dangerous.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 am

Unfortunately the only sander I have is a palm model and I don't think that will really help. I am almost there and hope to complete the job today - but there are several other resin fittings with the same problem.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 9:39 am

I managed to repair the rudder linkage without too much bad language Shocked The eyelets for the rear railings have been fitted and painted, and the window frames did need another coat so that was done. I then spent almost an hour trying to build the radiators which fit on the back of the cabin. These consist of a resin moulding inside which you are supposed to stick 16 'vanes' made from 4mm x 0.5mm plasticard. The spacing is 0.5mm. Shocked I gave up and will use Plan B which is to cover the space with some metal mesh that I have.
In fact, I have decided to concentrate on finishing the hull as far as I can before moving on to the wheelhouse.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Well done Barrie , sorry to have missed you at the lake on Sunday but can see why now , still hopefully we will meet again soon 

Often the best course of action is to step back and revisit the problem ,as I have found that solutions are often  found whilst away from the issue frustrating you at that point in time .

Your trip is imminent so a change of scenery will help I'm certain .

Take care and good luck .

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Not much progress lately Rolling Eyes  I did manage to make the radiators using the method I outlined.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2121

Ready for painting Thumbup

This is what she looks like now - the railings are not yet fixed - still need some work to open up the holes

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2122

So that's it for a while. Off on my hols on Sunday 2thumbsup  2thumbsup  2thumbsup

I hope the op went well swab - don't skimp on the physio. lol!

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks Barrie I'm being discharged tomorrow interesting comment from the physio 'that's the worst swelling but best movement we've seen'  I can really motor on my crutches though!
Lifeboats looking good enjoy your hols! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 9:11 pm

Hope you have a good time Barrie , and the rest does you good .

You to Swab , listen to your elders ref the physio and get yourself back up to speed .....

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 1:20 pm

I'm back! Great cruise. Got to the Isles of Scilly on a perfect day - sun, blue sky and white beaches 2thumbsup 2thumbsup From a naval point of view we saw three of the RFA vessels - all in different ports, we also saw several of the big cruise liners moored off the south coast.
So back to modelling. The railings at the stern are now fixed. The paint will need touching up as some force was required to get all the legs on their sockets Rolling Eyes I also have to make and attach the holders for the fenders.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2123

I then sorted out all the fittings required for the hull. Easier said then done. The drawing doesn't show them all and there appear to be more of some than are required. Its a case of looking at photos and trying to match the fittings. However - these are what I think are the correct ones. 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2124

All ready lined up for painting. In fact there are too many of the mooring cleats shown in the front, and there are other fittings which I haven't yet found Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2125

and here they are are after one coat of paint.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Glad you had a great time on your break Barrie , carry on at this rate and you will be looking for another model to build Thumbup

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm

I'm pleased you've had a good holiday hope it's recharged the cells a bit. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 6:08 pm

Thanks guys - it was still hard to get started this morning. I had intended to go sailing, but couldn't muster enough energy. Instead after some pottering about I did get into the workshop Thumbup Hopefully I will continue.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Percy Vere ....................Barrie and all your hard work will bare fruit Thumbup

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 8:14 pm

I had a bit of a set back today. I set out to apply the vinyl tape - two lots. Red under the rubbing strip and white on the water line. The red went on OK, but I couldn't get the white to go over the chine neatly. bounce Rolling Eyes Shocked I will have to mask it and paint it, but it wont be as good. I also don't have the correct tape so will have to wait for the post - again.

I also looked at making the baskets for the fenders. Not too difficult if I can find a way of holding then together whilst I solder them.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 7:12 pm

I had a go at making the fender baskets today. Only two solder joints so it should have been easy Rolling Eyes. However finding a way of setting up the pieces ready for soldering, and keeping them in position was NOT easy. Shocked I used solder paste for one joint and low temp solder for the other.

This is what I have got so far - I'm not very happy with these and may have to try again using thinner rod. The parts were pre-bent, and they don't appear to match the photos - the plan doesn't show these in any detail. You will see that I have tried to bend one of them to go round the railing uprights, but they wire is very stiff. I think it will be easier to start with 3 straight pieces and bend them after they are soldered together. Hopefully I have some 0.8mm rod which will be easier to bend.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2126

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Back to the water line Rolling Eyes My Tamiya tape hasn't arrived, but I had an idea. Idea  I have some very thin plastic tape I bought as masking tape (its not much good at that job). Being thin it goes round curves Shocked  I decided to try using this for the water line as it is more flexible than the tape I bought.
It has gone on very well Thumbup  The question is - will it stay on? I think if I cover it in varnish it has a good chance. My boats don't stay in the water for long periods of time, so its worth a try I think. 
Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2127 

Unfortunately, applying this tape did show up an error in my original masking of the line

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2128

so this will have to be corrected before I go any further. 

Feeling at bit under the weather at the moment with a cold or hay fever, so not in the mood to tackle the fender baskets.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 9:18 pm

The wife's got a cold coming on the weather's too changeable  confused
Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 am

Yes You seemed a bit down on Sunday Barrie , hope you get better soon and I dont hang around .....and again my thanks for your help .....Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Feeling a little better today, so tackled two jobs. Firstly touch up the hull.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2129

The the baskets. I decided to re-make these 'in-situ'.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2130 Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2131 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2132

Barrie

Back to top Go down
ivorthediver
Midshipman
Midshipman
ivorthediver

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Glad your feeling better Barrie , .......the baskets look better to , well done on both counts

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 1:22 pm

I replaced the white tape along the port side and stern. I noticed it had shrunk slightly, so have left this untrimmed for a day or so. I then set about mounting various fittings and touching up paint work. 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2133

the next job is to fit the exhausts to the stern and build the cages to cover them. After that I can apply some of the decals to the hull prior to varnishing it. I still have to deal with the fittings to cover my two hatches for the steering.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 pm

Lost Mojo or not you're doing well.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 6:03 am

Not really SWAB Rolling Eyes I have just realised that there should be silver/grey strip at the corners of the sides and transom. I am assuming this was a stainless steel plate to protect the corner. It doesn't appear on all the vessels, but it did on the Poole one.
Today I will attempt to add this. I have two options - silver paint or possibly silver vinyl. The latter would be best, but owing to the shape it will have to be applied in two pieces, which will leave a joint right on the sharp edge.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 11:47 am

So - first of all I tried using the vinyl. It looks very good, but I wasn't happy with the security of it, also the joint didn't look too good close up.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2134

so I removed the vinyl and masked it up ready to paint. I mixed some satin black into some silver and this is the result

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2135

not as neat as the vinyl, but more secure I think. You will se that I have also fitted the exhausts. I had a problem with the starboard one as the spigot fouled the rudder linkage. Luckily I could just get some snips to it through the hatch.

Next job is to build the cages round the exhausts. The fittings to go on the two hatches are being painted ready for fitting, then its the decals.I have been trying to remember how to ensure the backing doesn't show once applied, or I could replace the name and numbers with cut vinyl which may look better.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 12:52 pm

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2136

The cages have been made and fitted. The final fittings have been added to the hull. There are railings to go on the bows, but they link up with ones on the cabin, so will have to wait. The decks have been re-painted again, and the fittings added to the hatches in the stern. I have touched up the paint on the bottom of the hull where it caught on the stand, and the stand has been modified. Rolling Eyes
There is a decal of the RNLI flag to go on the bows, and then its ready for a coat of gloss varnish. I don't normally do gloss, but I think its justified in this case.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2137 Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2138

On to the cabin Thumbup

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Two jobs attempted this morning before the heat got at me. Firstly I attached a lot of masking tape to the cabin prior to painting the dark areas. I took a lot of care to smooth this down well, but on removing it there was a lot of 'bleeding'. bounce bounce bounce
It will have to be cleaned off and start again. Luckily the Humbrol acrylic come off the spayed orange quite easily.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2139 

While waiting for the paint to dry, I gave the hull a coat of Humbrol Gloss Cote. This now ready for the flag decal and the grab lines to be added.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2140

I hope its is a bit cooler tomorrow so I can clean off the cabin and try masking again.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 1:38 pm

Good progress my workshops really well insulated and reflects the heat but this is too much it's 91 degrees inside and the insulation keeps it in. This week I am mostly reading a book in front of a fan.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 2:08 pm

The sun doesn't get onto my workshop until about 10:30am, so I can get in a couple of hours if I'm lucky. Been sat in front of a fan since lunch 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Mine gets sunshine on the back, roof & front from Sun up till about 7: 30 ish this time of the year it's unbearable 4" thick insulated walls and roof plus insulated floor it resists heating do a a day or 2 but not this intensity.
I could grow tomatoes as a side line i suppose?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 12:35 pm

So back to the model Thumbup I found out that the deck lights on the wheelhouse are actually inset, so I marked out and cut out the 5 holes ready to fit the white metal fittings after they have been painted.  As far as I can see the only items still needing the orange paint are the two radiators and the life ring, so I sprayed them and using the 'overspray' painted the ferules for the hand rails.
I can now move on to fitting the hand rails to the cabin. These have to meet up with the forward rails on the deck Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2141

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Change of plans Shocked
Instead of handrails, I decided it would be better to fit the window frames first. This has no been done, although the windows have not been glazed as yet.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2142

I have decided to take the easy way out with the windows. They will not be done individually. I will stick the material to the cabin walls. So far the material has been cut to size and had a coat of matt black. I think it needs another.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2143

So onto the handrails. Although the kit included pre-bent rails I have been having a lot of problems to sit just right. I think I have now got it, and the starboard side is now ready to soldering.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2144

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2021 11:55 am

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2145

Both port and starboard rails now fixed in place.  The joints need tidying and cleaning ready for painting.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2146

The forward rails have been shaped and fitted. The starboard rails are fixed, the port ones need a little tweaking. There are also some mounts to fit onto the forward part of the cabin. Then the joint between the cabin and forward rails has to be made Rolling Eyes This is not a permanent join - it has to allow for removal of the cabin Shocked

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Correction to previous post! The port side was fixed Shocked

Today I fixed the starboard and the supports that go to the front of the cabin. The cabin rails now link up with the forward ones. At the moment the link is a loose piece of plastic tubing. The instructions say to glue this to the forward rails, but I'm not sure I will be able to get the cabin off if I do that Rolling Eyes Unfortunately one of the starboard stanchions moved before the glue set and its a little high. I'm leaving it for now, but will try and fix it later.

All the rails have had a coat of paint - may need another. This is Revell Acrylic. Seems a better consistency than Humbrol, who appear to be phasing out the pots of acrylic and supplying dropper bottles which may be OK for airbrushes, but not for brushing.  Mad

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2147 Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2148

Barrie

Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm

hi barrie, 

you have made a great finish to the brede lifeboat 2thumbsup , i hope you have enjoyed building her. is this going to be a keeper  lol! 

david

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm

Still a way to go David Rolling Eyes I haven't started to look at the mast yet. 
I certainly plan to keep this one for a while. It may not get much time on the water, but it will go on display. 
I can't decide if it will be my last build. I haven't really found anything which appeals to me yet, although there are a couple of Deans kits which may tempt me if I can sell a couple of my fleet. I plan to list two or three when I get back from holiday in mid-August.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 pm

All this talk of last builds is getting a bit worrying! she's looking fine though.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 7:09 am

Studying the photos above I am pretty sure I have the front outside windows on the wrong side of the cabin Embarassed Shocked Embarassed Shocked

I will have to see if its possible to remove them.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Not a lot to see for this mornings work! I spent most of the time trying to understand how the 'hoists' on the cabin sides go together, and painting fittings. I'm still not sure how the hoist work Rolling Eyes
I did fix the capstan to the foredeck, the radiators to the rear of the cabin and apply the numbers to the cabin.
There are two grab handles supplied in the kit each a different size. Unfortunately the fixing holes for them are both the same size Shocked so I have made one from Brass rod.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2149

Looking again at those window frames, I can't decide if they are right or wrong Rolling Eyes, so they will stay as they are. 
I am leaving the mast structure until after my holidays, but should complete the rest before I go.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 pm

More work on the fittings. I made the anchor and a housing for it, Attached lights to brackets, drilled two aerial bases and attached them to brackets all the while trying to figure out the hoists. After finishing for the day, I had a flash of inspiration Shocked I thought I remembered some brass channel in my scrap box, so I went looking for it. Success - it was there and just the right dimensions Rolling Eyes

Here they are 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2150

I can also use the channel to make brackets for fixing the arms to the cabin. They will be much neater than the supplied brackets.

These photos are after fixing some of the fittings.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2151 Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Img_2152

davidjt, Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am

Hi barriew,

You have done a fantastic job on your Lifeboat.
Well worth all the effort so far.
Not long now and she will be getting her bottom wet.
Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brede Lifeboat
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next