TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brede Lifeboat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 11:08 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2055

This is my latest project -  a Brede Class Lifeboat from Mountfleet Models. Fibre glass hull and superstructure and a pretty comprehensive kit of parts including moulded window frames. It is only just over 50 cms long which is why I selected it. Most of the Lifeboat kits are much bigger. It is the most expensive kit I have ever bought, so it had better turn out well. Shocked  Rolling Eyes

The hull and superstructure are nicely moulded with no blemishes, BUT there is a lot of flash.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2057 Brede Lifeboat Img_2056

I had a little go at removing some of this, and was soon through the gel coat, so will have to be careful.

The first real job is making a stand, and ordering some motors. I had thought of using brushless, but it is twin prop which makes that option quite expensive, so I think I will go with 385's on a single Mtroniks ESC with a single 7.4 volt LiPo for power.

The manual warns that access is limited after the deck is fitted, so careful planning of the motor and servo installation is required lol!

I think this will be a slow build - I'm finding it quite hard to get interested in anything at present.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 pm

I love lifeboats my tastes run to the older types but I'll be watching this one.
You have my sympathies I'm monumentally bored with everything at the moment.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 pm

The stand is made - a bit crude due to lack of more suitable materials, but it will suffice for building. Not quite as rough as it appears in the photo - the ends have now been screwed Shocked Rolling Eyes I have also removed all the flash from the hull. I have also sanded down the top edge of the hull. I am always slightly nervous about doing this as its not always obvious where the line is. I think I got it right Rolling Eyes  I have also washed the hull to get rid of any release agent.
My motors arrived this morning - only ordered from Component Shop yesterday. 2thumbsup  The kit includes two nice brass propellers - I need to check if they are the same 'hand'. In fact after buying the electrics I don't think I will need to buy anything else apart from paint.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2060 Brede Lifeboat Img_2062 Brede Lifeboat Img_2061

You will notice that this is a very lightweight hull - not much glass cloth I think.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat Apr 24, 2021 1:50 pm

My Christmas present was from mountfleet I agree the hulls are a bit slimline.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 12:49 pm

I have stuck the templates to the sheet of liteply ready for cutting out - no die or laser cutting here Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2063

Next I worked on the A frames to make them fit the prop shafts. Drilled the holes for the rudders and prop shafts, then opened out the shaft holes. The position of the first A frame was marked and pilot holes drilled before opening up with a file. The centre of the shafts is not in line with the rudders! The first side has been tacked in place with super glue. Once the second side is ready, I will fix everything with P40.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2064 Brede Lifeboat Img_2065

The props are handed 2thumbsup

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Today I fitted the other prop shaft and rudder. After they were tacked in place with CA, I mixed up some P40 to secure them on the inside. A small amount of filler required on the outside.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2066 Brede Lifeboat Img_2067

I hope that the port shaft is NOT aligned as it appears in that photo. If it is, it will have to be re-made Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes
After fitting the propshaft I had to modify the rear part of the stand to allow for the shafts Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2068

Next job is to cut out the formers and glue in the bearers for the deck. These are balsa and will probably need steaming.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 10:06 pm

The rudders are supposed to be offset to the outside of the line of the shafts.

This was to allow the shafts on the full size boat to be removed without having to dismantle the rudder systems as well.

Mike
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 am

Thanks Mike - I knew that the offset was deliberate. Didn't want anyone to think I had got it wrong lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Brede Lifeboat Img_2069

So - I didn't start to fix the deck bearers. lol! I realised I needed to install the motors, servo and rudders before I restricted access. Rolling Eyes  This was going well until I damaged to second coupling Shocked Rolling Eyes New ones have been ordered. Next up is to work out the linkage for the rudders. I am a little concerned as I don't think I will have access to the tillers once the deck is on. The pencil line indicates the edge of the rear deck.

Hopefully going sailing tomorrow, so time to think about how to solve this problem.

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 7:08 am

Brede Lifeboat Img_2070

The basic linkage for the rudders is installed. I was going to use a mini servo but I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I do have this old Acoms standard one, but mounting it will be a problem, so I have ordered a metal geared mini version. When I get it, I'll decide which to use Rolling Eyes

I am still concerned about access to the tillers when the deck is on. I have replaced some slot headed brass screws in them with steel grub screws which should be a bit more positive if I have to access them from the hatch. I am considering adding two small hatches over the tiller heads. There is a resin moulding which should cover one, and a life-raft or box at the other side.

I will work on the deck bearers until my servo arrives.

Barrie

Its interesting how different photo angles can deceive. If you look at the previous photo the starboard motor looks to be pretty well aligned. In this photo it looks to be badly out of line Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I hope it is just the photo angle Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:40 am

How did the sailing go?
Even access that needs a gynaecologist is important as you never know what's going to happen.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi SWAB,

Sailing was a disaster lol!  I took three new boats and none of them would work Rolling Eyes  It was so cold that I really couldn't be bothered to try and fix them at the lake. Turns out it was a silly mistake. My Tx has 20 memories, also the system has two modulation schemes. When I set them up I used some spare slots in the Tx. Some time later I decided to re-organise the slots and delete those for models I no longer have, substituting the new models. BUT I forget to change the modulation scheme Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
At least the car got a reasonable run rather than just a few local miles 2thumbsup

Some more progress on the Brede - the bearers for the deck have been fitted. Only the front 'T' beams are fixed - the rest will wait until the servo is installed. Looking at the other cross beams I think the instructions were wrong. They said to fit the deck edge bearers first, but the beams are designed to fit to the hull. Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat Img_2071

My couplings arrived this morning, so tomorrow I will fit those.

I think if I cut two hatches in the rear deck I will be able to manoeuvre the tillers onto the rudder shaft if necessary. The hatches can disguised by the fittings.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Where do you sail then? last week at Bournville was a disaster I took my yacht out (Graupner True Blue)and it was too windy for it I spent most of the time heeled right over and unsteerable as it's a fair weather yacht not a professional type. The frames look good by the way!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:04 pm

We have two lakes - one in Cambridge and the one I went to near St Neots. That's quite a long trek for me. It was quite windy yesterday - I'm not sure how the models would have got on as they are quite small. I may try Cambridge tomorrow if the weather is OK - that lake should be more shielded, and is nearer.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 03, 2021 12:31 pm

I didn't get to Cambridge - full of cold Sad

My new couplings did arrive. so I fitted them instead.  

Brede Lifeboat Img_2073

Now waiting for the new servo, although I have started to make a template for the deck, so could finish that and cut out the deck. I also need to look at some resin moulded rubbing strakes. There is so much flash on them it difficult to see what shape they should be Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyThu May 06, 2021 12:32 pm

The servo arrived. It was described as a mini metal geared servo - its actually a full size metal geared servo Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  I have made a shelf to mount it on, and sorted out the linkages. I plan to mount the receiver on the shelf, and the remainder of the electrics on a board forward of the motors. I am really going for as neat an installation as possible.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2074

Quite a bit of the wiring will be out of sight

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm a bit stuck waiting for wire. I don't have the correct gauge so have had to order it. I decided to try and fit the remaining framing for the deck, and have come across a problem

Brede Lifeboat Img_2075

The hull is not symmetrical Rolling Eyes I've checked the forward frames and they are 'square', but there is 5mm difference between the two sides of the rear beam to the stern moulding Shocked Shocked  I don't see that there is anything I can do about it. The opening for the cabin is square, so I will just have to adjust the rear deck. Shocked

You will notice the side beams are bowed - ideally I would remake in 3mm liteply but don't have any, so have added a stiffener.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2076

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 2:02 pm

A slight problem Rolling Eyes  I fixed the batten to the wrong side of one beam Embarassed Embarassed Shocked  So I cut another one, and surprise! - I found some 3mm liteply Thumbup
I had trouble lining everything up, but I think I have now got it square and all glued in place.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2077

I then checked my deck template, and cut out the deck from ply. It took quite a bit of trimming to get it to fit. Marking the opening was done by measuring - and I made a slight error at the stern, but it can be rectified. The long edges of the hatch opening still need trimming. I will not glue the deck down until I have finished wiring up.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2078

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master
davidjt

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 3:50 pm

hi barrie,

glad to see you finally go for a lifeboat. the brede is a nice boat. i built mine from all card many years ago from glyn guest book small radio control boats the drawings are not to scale, but you would have enjoyed building as its only 15 inches long . it sails brilliant in my garden pond. also have you seen the build of it in model boats sept 2002 from k and s models, very good detail if you would like a scan let me know.

Brede Lifeboat Dscf4110

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptySun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm

David

Good to hear from you! I've been waiting for a small enough lifeboat so I could build one. I did actually build one some time ago, but sold it - that was a Tyne Class, I think from a David Metcalfe kit, but I'm not sure.
This is actually the K&S models version, but now being sold by Mountfleet Models, so a scan of the article would be very useful.

Best wishes,

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 10, 2021 12:38 pm

The hatch opening has been trimmed and I have cut two access hatches in the stern to give me a chance of accessing the tillers in case of need. They are not in the ideal location but should at least allow me to see what is happening.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2080

and here is how they will appear under the mouldings

Brede Lifeboat Img_2079

I then turned my attention to the spray rails which are supplied as resin mouldings.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2081

This is how they were delivered. The instructions state that you sand off the excess flash Shocked  There is actually more flash than actual spray rail Shocked Shocked  

This is almost how they will look after they have been trimmed.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2082

The lower one still needs work, the upper one hasn't been started. These must win the prize for the most wasteful resin mouldings ever.

My new wires arrived today so that's the next job.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Master
Master
davidjt

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyMon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

hi barrie, 
just sent you the scans of the brede  on the email i have used before when sending scans.  i also built the tyne from model boats magazine from scratch  from hull upwards, but will not let it go i like it so much Very Happy

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue May 11, 2021 12:59 pm

David, you could be right - maybe my Tyne was scratch build Rolling Eyes

I started on the wiring this morning but didn't quite finish it as I was late starting after a plant shopping expedition.

Brede Lifeboat Img_2083

Just the neutral from the motors to the ESC to add, and the signal wires to route and fix. I will give the servo shelf a coat of resin first so I can use sticky Velcro to fix the Rx. I haven't fixed the forward tray as I was leaving it in case I needed to add ballast below it. However, It wont come out easily with all the wiring, and reading the article in MB that Davidjt sent me, there could be an issue with weight so ballast is unlikely to be required. I'll fix it down as soon as I finish the wiring.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Gunner
Gunner
Swab

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyTue May 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Have you considered using brushless motors or are you not a fan?
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat EmptyWed May 12, 2021 6:44 am

That was my intention until I costed it. It would have been more than double, even buying cheap from China. With brushless you can't run two motors from one ESC.
I have brushless in one of my models, and if I build anymore single screw then I will probably go brushless.

Barrie

Swab likes this post

Back to top Go down

Brede Lifeboat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: