TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brede Lifeboat

Go down 
+3
barriew
gribeauval
Swab
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 1:08 pm

I was sure I had posted these photos before I went on holiday Rolling Eyes More fittings added. The aerials and boathooks are not fixed - one of the last jobs to be done I think.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2159 Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2158

Today for a gentle return to modelling I set about glazing the windows. I had already cut and painted the material, so it was just a case of sticking them in Rolling Eyes I made a bit of a mess of that simple task by using the wrong piece for the roof lights. Shocked So all windows glazed apart from the front windows. I have used double sided tape as I was determined these windows would have no marks on them lol!

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2160

Barrie

Fred 1948 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Looking good barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 1:21 pm

I finished the windows this morning. I'm not sure if the double sided tape is going to hold. Crying or Very sad Only time will tell.
I solved the problem of the second opening I made for access to the tillers. I found a plate in the box with no apparent use, so stuck that to my hatch, then fixed the life raft to that. The plate is stuck down on one edge with double sided tape which I should be able to remove if I need access. Rolling Eyes 
I also fitted the name plates and loud hailer at the front of the cabin structure. The anchor has been fixed. I think this is too big, but its made from supplied components. Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2162 Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2161

There are three items left to do. Build the mast, fit the grab lines and the hoists.

Barrie

Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Looking good barrie,
What are her the dimensions and scale ?

Martin.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:32 pm

1:20 length about 500mm. If you want one there is an original K&S Models kit on Ebay now. Was £95 when I looked this morning - a considerable saving on the Mountfleet models price

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks barrie,
But unfortunately i do not have any money at the moment.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:36 pm

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2163

I made the brackets for the hoists from some brass channel I found in my bits box. I've had this for over 15 years - it came from a deceased modellers stock I helped to clear. Never throw anything away Thumbup

I have also started on the mast. As usual the plan is not too helpful, but I think I have sorted it out.

I was planning to go sailing tomorrow, but the forecast has changed so I will probably be able to finish the mast instead.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:39 pm

barrie,
It will be interesting to see how that jigsaw goes together LOL!!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:48 pm

What I now need are some 1:20 lifeboat figures - which don't break the bank.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 1:55 pm

barrie,
How about something like this but you will have to modify them.

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/boat-accessories/scale-figures/

Martin
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Saw some Bears manning a Brede in MB Mag some time ago - they looked good. Fun anyway - pity George Turner packed it in - had quite an extensive range. Checked through my latest copy of Model Boats - cant find any advertised - its the April issue as deliveries are a bit behind here. There is an article on making your own however. 1/20 might be bit hard to find in plastic but sure you can source in the UK though. they are quite easy to modify for your needs  - even in sticky/smooth plastic a hot glue gun works.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks Peter - I've just received the September Model Boats!
The Graupner ones are probably the best bet, but no-one seems to have any. There is also a 3D outfit who have them in various scales, and I think would make one at 1:20 if I ask.
Did you see the kit on Ebay UK? Its from the original makers.
Should have finished with the plan in the next few days and will post to Ian.

redpmg likes this post

Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 8:12 pm

A link to 1/25 figures on Ebay Barrie - would need quite a lot of mods - probably a sex change in some cases ! Dont think the difference in scale would matter much - at least they are cheap enough - a bit of milliput should see them right.

Thanks for the help with the plan - looking forward to seeing it once Ian has sorted it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114061783630?hash=item1a8e9cb24e:g:0WsAAOSwubdeGdj9

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 1:16 pm

I have some of those Peter - and applied plastic surgery as well lol! I just tried what a 70mm figure would look like, and I think it will be OK. I plan to order one from 3D Clever on eBay.

More work on the mast and hoists. All the components for the mast have been painted and the hole drilled in the roof. Just some final assembly when the paint has dried hard. 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2164

The Hoists have had their brackets pinned and painted ready to fit. The hoists need some pulley blocks for the lowering mechanism. 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2165

The supplied white metal ones are a bit rough, so I had a search i my box of bits, and came up with two sizes of plastic ones which I think look better. I will probably use the smaller ones if I can get the 'rope' through.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2166

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 11:55 am

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2167

Almost finished 2thumbsup
I just have to finish the rigging for the hoists - still trying to get my head around that - and add a couple of decals which I have at last found where they go Rolling Eyes The emergency blue light fell over I've just noticed so that needs sorting out. there are also some tools which go on the rear cabin wall. I should have spayed those orange, so will have to get the spay can out again Rolling Eyes

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2168 Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2169

I have ordered a figure and some yellow paint so if I can make a decent job of painting it, that will add to the model I hope.

Barrie

Swab, redpmg and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 12:24 pm

Nice work barrie.
Well done.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Looking great Barrie - you have made a first rate job of it. Hard to tell from the real boat !.

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Cracking job _what's next then ?Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 pm

I just realised I still have the grab ropes to do Rolling Eyes I found the eyelets for them in the bag of various threads. I also need to fill the test tank and check ballast. The forecast for Sunday looks good at the moment so I will try to get to the lake to give it a trial.
I don't have any plans at the moment. There is nothing that really grabs me. I have a couple of models that could do with some attention so I will try to sort them out and then see if I need another model. It will have to be something I really want to build as its getting harder to motivate myself.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 7:30 pm

I'd just go for doing up the fleet adding some new features here and there, motivation grows at the bench it's getting to the bench that's eluding me at the moment too.

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 1:35 pm

I finally worked out how to rig the hoists. Not the neatest, but I really should have done it before fixing the hoists to the cabin Rolling Eyes I also found out why there were two cleats in the fittings. They didn't appear on the drawings, but I just spotted them on a photo Thumbup

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2170

I then made up the grab lines ready for fitting.

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2171

Finally I fitted one side - not sure if this is the correct way Shocked The other side is still to do. 

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2172

My figure came from 3D Clever and needed some slight filling and trimming. Quite impressed  Thumbup I have given it a coat of matt white in the absence of any white primer.. My Yellow acrylic paint also arrived today, so I should be able to get this finished for a possible maiden voyage on Sunday.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Swab
Master
Master
Swab

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Another fine build Barrie I've been looking at the 3D clever website some useful items there which may come in useful.

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Excellent work barrie,
looking forward to seeing her on the water.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Finally finished  2thumbsup I painted the crew - just needs sticking on. I wish I had gone for a 1:20 version, in fact I may try to see if 3D Clever will print one for me. 

I also wish I had taken more trouble with the windows, but at the time I wasn't very motivated. It could be a winter project to re-fit them as they are a distinctive part of the vessel Rolling Eyes

I tried it in my test tank and its sits perfectly on the line.

If all goes well it will get its maiden voyage on Sunday.

Barrie

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2173

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 1:04 pm

She looks really good barrie.
well worth all the effort.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 12:42 pm

I thought I had better see if everything works if I'm going sailing on Sunday Rolling Eyes
It didn't Shocked bounce Shocked bounce bounce Shocked Shocked
Firstly, I couldn't find the battery lead - it had got stuck under the equipment shelf. Of course the shelf wouldn't come out without removing the motors bounce Rolling Eyes After freeing the lead and replacing the motors I connected the battery again - still dead bounce bounce bounce bounce
Motors out again to release the shelf and check through with the meter. The switch appeared to be the problem, but after several on/off cycles, it is now OK.
Replace motors.
So, finally to test the steering and ESC. The steering needs reversing - not unexpected and easily fixed on the Tx. However, both shafts are rotating the same way, and the props are 'handed'. I thought I had taken this into account when wiring the motors, but it appears not Embarassed Rolling Eyes 
I need to reverse the wiring to one motor, not sure if this is easiest at the motor, or the connection block. I will look into it tomorrow.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Martin555
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi barrie,
It could of been a lot worse you could of had an audience.
Good that you sorted it out now.

Good luck on Sunday, hope the weather is kind to you.
Back to top Go down
redpmg
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Funny how things can go so smoothly with one model and disaster with the next. My very first venture with a electric powerboat took the advice of an older modeller and filled the prop tube with lithium based wheel bearing grease. Result very hot motor & battery , blown fuse on ESC and a boat moving with the speed of a rock crawler...........

Next outing went on the plane almost instantly and no adjustments needed at all......... oil not grease.

The Brede is a great handling boat (that from the Coxswain at Hout Bay) - even at model size judging from the ones I have seen - one was run over by a full size version and came up fine. Sure it will be a great boat when you have sorted the glitches Barrie.

Saw that Glynn Guest even chooses to make a first outing at a local little used canal so keeping it private.........

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 6:11 pm

redpmg wrote:
Saw that Glynn Guest even chooses to make a first outing at a local little used canal so keeping it private.........
 No hope of that for me. A journey of about 30 miles to our lake which is the only viable water around here. The anglers have bagged all the others Rolling Eyes Even the Cambridge lake is controlled by anglers and we are only allowed a few hours on Sunday mornings. Our other lake with free access is another 15 miles away.

Barrie

redpmg likes this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2176

Finally got it on the water 2thumbsup As you can see on a flat calm day.
It sailed very well - turns tightly and looks good. Probably not up to scale speed, but plenty fast enough for me lol!
I would have asked Ivor to take over the controls so I could get some video, but he was busy working on the problems on his own boat. lol!

I am going to have to replace the waterline. The masking tape I used has shrunk, so it will have to come off. Not sure how I'm going to replace it. The problem is where it crosses the spray rail. A very strange angle. At the worst I will have to paint it, but there is still the problem of masking.
I am also having a problem with the port side forward rails which keep breaking the solder joint on the aft most stanchion Rolling Eyes I think there is some tension there so I will have to adjust the bend in the wire.

Barrie

Barrie

redpmg, Martin555 and ColinH like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 pm

I have re-made the joints on the port forward rails after adjusting them to better align with the wheelhouse rails. I have also removed the old water line tape - it came off very easily. Thumbup I have replaced it with some vinyl tape. I did it in sections to try to avoid some of the problems around the spray rails, but the underside of them is concave and the adhesive is not strong enough to hold. I have added some CA  Rolling Eyes
If this doesn't work it will have to be paint. Then there will still be the issue of getting the masking tape to stick cleanly Shocked

BarrieBrede Lifeboat - Page 3 Img_2177

Fred 1948, Swab and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brede Lifeboat   Brede Lifeboat - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brede Lifeboat
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3