TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Caldercraft Vigilant II

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Dscn1474

Not quite finished. I had forgotten to make the housings for the Nav. lights Shocked These are now waiting for the paint to dry, so should be finished tomorrow. I also have to cut some names as I don't like the transfers supplied. When they are fitted I will probably give the hull a coat of satin varnish. Then its ready for the test tank and ballast.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 pm

Looks really well done Barrie, great job looking forward to the finishing photos and maiden voyage.

2thumbsup

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Dscn1475

Finished 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Just needs the test tank to ballast it. If the weather stays mild, that will be done in the next few days. The Maiden Voyage however will not be before Easter as I will not be going to the lake before then.

Although the Kit said Vigilant II I've named it Vigilant as according to my information from the Essex Police Museum, Vigilant was a ex RAF rescue boat or seaplane tender. Vigilant II was purpose built and had round bilges plank on frames.

Barrie

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Dscn1476 Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Dscn1510
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 11:47 am

Looks absolutely spot on, great job 👍🏻

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks RR  - looks quite good in the photos.

That's it for now. I have no other projects in the pipeline except possibly to finish the model my Grandson was supposed to be building with me. He seems to have lost interest so I will may finish it myself. I've just heard that the cruise we were booked on at the end of the month has been cancelled, so more time to fill Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Thats bad news about your holiday, as for a new project I’ve just picked up a chinese mini tug kit on eBay for £50 the Q3 looks rather good,( let’s see how long that takes to arrive given the health crisis tho)  I’ve been following Martians q1 version on YouTube recently and opted for the q3 kit, might be worth a look if that interests you, I think there are several sizes and styles right now.

barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm

I actually built one of the earlier ones - Q1 I think, but it was not an original, it was missing the 3d printed parts etc.

See https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1845-chinese-mini-tug

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Dscn1289

I may look at the HA kits that have been mentioned on Mayhem - they look interesting and reasonably priced.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 am

Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Img_2025

I finally got Vigilant on the water yesterday and she sailed very well - much better than I expected. I thought she would be underpowered, but performed excellently. 2thumbsup

I still haven't managed to control a boat and take video, or even still photos.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
T33CNO
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am

Looks really smart Barrie, the finish on the bare wood is especially in keeping Smile
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks Andy. I was not very happy with this build and as I said expected it to be underpowered, but now I'm very pleased with the result. It was certainly worth replacing the tired ply with new Liteply.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Caldercraft Vigilant II
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2