TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!

TheRcModelBoatForum.com

A Forum For Modelers By Modelers.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Caldercraft Vigilant II

Go down 
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

Caldercraft Vigilant II Empty
PostSubject: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 pm

As it turns out I didn't have long to wait to find my next project  Thumbup I spotted this old Caldercraft kit advertised on ebay. I made an offer that was accepted and the kit arrived today.

Caldercraft Vigilant II Dscn1438

It all looks to be in good order. The ply is slightly warped, and feels a little damp, but otherwise everything looks good. I look forward to starting this next week - if I can wait so long lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 pm

I  have always liked the Vigilant and its two variants based on the same kit, but can't remember their names...…..

but they were Frank Hinchcliffe's first endeavour into the "new" age of model kit manufacturers, and moved such kits as Aerokits into the dark ages with his use of white metal castings...…………...followed soon by the puffer full kit and soon followed by the Joffre tug...….

you have pulled off a stonker with this kit, Barrie, as it really is a classic, and although I have built almost every kit up until the Marrie Felling prototype from the Hinchliffe stable, I have never built his earliest and most important creation......the Vigilant set of 3...……..enjoy it mate, I look forward to your build.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 11:59 am

On further inspection I see this will not take long to build. The most difficult part will be getting the parts from the diecut sheets.  The die cutting is not very good and the ply is very tough. To spin out the build time I plan to plank the deck with 0.5 mm Lime so that I can stain it. All the ply has very prominent non-scale grain showing. Sad I am thinking of replacing the cabin sides with new ones cut from either liteply or ordinary ply with no discernible grain so that I can stain them also.
The instructions call for a 500 series motor. I have a couple and will check their current draw, but I also have a JP 400 which I think will be suitable for this model which is fairly light.

I have designed the stand - just need to saw the wood - and tacked the propshaft in place to check the clearance for the stand. I've started trimming the hull and removed the deck from the ply sheet. It seems over long, but that needs to be confirmed before I start cutting it lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm

nhp651 wrote:
you have pulled off a stonker with this kit, Barrie, as it really is a classic, and although I have built almost every kit up until the Marrie Felling prototype from the Hinchliffe stable, I have never built his earliest and most important creation......the Vigilant set of 3...……..enjoy it mate, I look forward to your build.
Neil, Not much progress yet! I have been fighting a nasty cough/cold for over a week that has completely laid me low.

However,  I have been doing doing some research into Vigilant. I was hoping for some photos, but so for the only information I can find is on the Essex Police Museum website. Vigilant I was a converted RAF Seaplane Tender acquired in 1949. In 1978 Vigilant II was commissioned having been specially built for Essex Police. However, I'm not sure of the accuracy of the model as Vigilant II is described as having 'round bilges' and being teak planked on oak frames.

My supplies of strip wood have arrived from CMB. so any day now I should be able to make a start Rolling Eyes I did cut out and glue the stand today.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
nhp651
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)
nhp651

PostSubject: Re: Caldercraft Vigilant II   Caldercraft Vigilant II EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 2:14 pm

that, is the "joy" of building a Caldercraft model, of the Hinchliffe era...…….

frank never gave a tuppence for purity or actual scale, as his philosophy was always "bullshit baffles brains"......

and you having told me [which I didn't know before you told me just now] that this boat and its two similar boats are based on the ST200 sea plane tender, I can now see the similarities...……...its pointed at the front end, its flat at the back end and it floats, lol...…….but I stil like it.
below is the Caldercraft "sea plane tender" and the sea plane tender from official plans.

Caldercraft Vigilant II Dscn1410

Caldercraft Vigilant II Img_3725
Back to top Go down

Caldercraft Vigilant II
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Slipway :: Active Build Blogs!-
Jump to: