TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Next up was the rudder. This was two layers of ply. The fittings were moulded plastic and there was a problem Rolling Eyes

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1317

As you will see, the gap in the moulding is too wide Rolling Eyes On the rudder it was fairly easy to add a piece of 0.8 mm ply and sand it to shape. On the boat this wasn't so easy and I use some pieces of card either side of the rudder post.
Looking at the plans I realised I should perhaps have fitted the chain plates BEFORE the rubbing strips as they are shown behind the strips Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed So to rectify this I drilled suitable holes in the strips for the plates to slide through. In fact I think this makes a better job as trying to make cut outs in the right place in the strips before fitting would have been a nightmare - I had enough problems fitting the strips as it was  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

In this photo the plates are not glued. 

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1318

Next up the portholes were fitted as these are painted along with the cabin. I am pleased I didn't fix the roof as it made it possible to glue these from the back.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1319 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1320

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Over the last two days the hull has had some more paint. The top is now the original colour, and the bottom has had one coat of red/brown. The bottom will need at least one more coat. 

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1322

I have also been making some of the detail parts - these seem to mainly consist of layers of ply stuck together. I have come across a couple of issues - I am missing some portholes, and the portholes are too thick for the material they are fitted to Rolling Eyes
Luckily I found some suitable ones in my spares box and there are two possible solutions to the thickness issue. First is to grind off the excess material, second is to drill holes to accommodate the overhang. Watch this space lol!

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1323 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1324

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm

I have been occupied making and painting detail parts for the decks. Those parts laminated from layers of ply are difficult to paint, especially as the current tin of Humbrol Matt White is the consistency of milk. The last tin was like treacle  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I have started adding these items to the upper deck.

Image hosted by servimg.com

The hull has had a coat of satin varnish, and I have also tried to paint the rubbing strips in black, but this is not too successful - it will need lots of touching up Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1326

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2019 1:59 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2019 5:27 pm

I am not sure if I will ever finish this one. I'm not too happy with the quality of the work at this stage. As its a static model it has to look good up close, and I don't think it will. I will continue until my holiday in 10 days time, then decide.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 11:54 am

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1328

I decided I didn't like the black rubbing strakes, so have re-painted them blue Rolling Eyes Apart from that I am working my way through making and painting the detail items. Its quite difficult to see where some of these fit as they are not always shown clearly on the plans.

I plan to take this as far as being ready for the masts and rigging and then decide if I am going to finish it. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm

At Last - some signs of progress Shocked The upper deck is now fixed in place. Davits have been made, painted, rigged and installed. The lifeboats have been painted and fixed, ad some of the detail parts fixed to the upper deck. The next big job is to start fixing the railings. Some of the stantions have been painted ready for installing. Unfortunately there are some quite complex rail configurations and they are two rail. so much cursing will probably be needed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1329 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1330

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

it is looking superb barrie...it is a really sweet little boat......love its lines and its character.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 12:45 pm

I should confess my two (at least) mistakes with this build. Firstly, the rear of the cabin is on the wrong way round. Secondly the upper deck is on upside down. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Obviously I should have paid more attention to the plans. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I am also not certain that the davits should have had their 'feet', they are not shown on the plans, but that is what they most certainly are. They do however interfere with the steering cable which I still have to fit.

First set of railings completed - these were the 'easy' ones Rolling Eyes The next set are on the roof of the wheelhouse. I think these will have to be made in two or maybe three parts. If it was a single rail, it may just be possible to do it in one piece, but not two rails Shocked Hopefully I have some fine ali tube to make a join.

There's still a lot of detail work on the model before I get round to masts and rigging. I don't think I will get it all finished by Monday.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1331
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:57 am

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1332  RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1333 
RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1334

Wheelhouse roof railings completed - hopefully that is the most complicated set done. The one round the stern were quite straight forward. as will be the ones at the bows - I hope Shocked

Next job is the rope steering system, then I can finish the stern and move forward where there are some winches to build.

Barrie

I've just noticed the angle of the smoke stack - that needs correcting lol! It really is very useful to look at photographs of the models as things show up which are otherwise missed.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 12:46 pm

My last building session before my holiday. I haven't got quite as far as I had hoped, but the model is now complete up to the front of the superstructure, and I have fixed one set of forward railings. Thumbup

Image hosted by servimg.com  Image hosted by servimg.com
Image hosted by servimg.com

Back in October Very Happy Very Happy

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Looking really good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 pm

have a great holiday.......where too this time, barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks Neil - down the Bay of Biscay visiting France and Northern Spain! Just hope the calm weather holds up for another 10 days lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 6:28 pm

after the summer we have had mate...…….take your sea sickness pills, lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 am

The Bay of Biscay was very kind to us until we left Bordeaux for the return journey, the it let us have it! I did survive and am now back to the St Roch.
More railings added also a strange little platform. One ladder and rails fixed, and the anchor winch built. I have discovered that what I thought were davit bases were actually parts of the other two winches I still have to build Crying or Very sad

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1339
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 11:37 am

my brother and his wife went across the Bay in the P & O  Britannia a few weeks back...…...he said it was rather "choppy" lol....glad to see you back on the "job"

like the planking.....will be starting mine on the two lifeboats shortly.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 pm

The ladder on the port side and its handrails have been fitted and painted. Two more winches have been built and the anchor winch has been painted as have the forward railings. Next job is to rig and fit the forward davits - presumably used for cargo loading. When they are fixed all the other deck items can be fitted.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1340 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1341
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 4:02 pm

I didn't feel like fiddling with tiny blocks, so today I have made and painted the two masts. These should have been stained I think, but due the the liberal use of CA I decided to paint them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I also painted the two rope winches, so when I get the davits rigged, I am ready to finish fitting all the remaining bits and pieces. I will then be left with the rigging Shocked Shocked We'll have to see about that.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1342
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 12:10 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1343

One davit now rigged and fixed. My drill battery went flat before I could tackle the second. I have also found a third needed for the anchor, so I bent the rod and painted it ready for another day Thumbup Most of the detail has been added to the foredeck - just the new davit and anchor and a couple of bollards to go. With a bit of luck the next session should see everything fixed, including the masts, ready for some rigging. The anchor chain supplied was very fine so this came from my stash - needs painting I guess.
I've just realised that there are some more steps to paint and fix, and that means more hand rails, so maybe two sessions lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 12:45 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1344 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1345

Almost there. The second davit was rigged and fitted and the fixing brackets painted. The steps up the foredeck were installed and handrails made and painted. The anchor and its davit was fixed - I skipped the rigging. The aft mast was fitted and the support for its boom. The main mast was also fitted and then I cane across a problem. The boom is too long Shocked Unfortunately this has fittings on each end, so shortening it isn't straight forward. Rolling Eyes
I need to check the box of fittings to ensure I have added everything, but apart from the boom I think there is just the rigging to complete. Most important visually are the ratlines on both masts. I have copied these from the plans and printed them as shown and also flipped for use on the other side of the model. I intend to cover these with some non-stick transparent paper so I can try to build them that way. The 'bars' are made from 1mm x 1mm mahogany and my plan is to stick these to the ropes using PVA or possibly canopy glue. If I can make the set for the main mast., I may skip the other set Rolling Eyes The remainder of the rigging will be simplified as I really don't know what I am going to do with this model when its complete. Its not good enough to display publicly.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm

it is looking superb, Barrie………...you really do have a knack of choosing some very unconventional models and making superb vessels out of those boxes of tricks…………...I really like this little beauty...……….

there is no way I could make one such as sweet a model, as I'm absolutely crap with plank on frame modelling...………….one of the reasons I've never made the dumas coast guard lifeboat, which I like so much...………...but am looking forward to your next build, what ever it is.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks Neil, but the photos really don't show how poor some of the modelling is. I am not interested in warships, so I tend to seek out the unusual. However, I think this will be my last POF, and probably my last Billings. Next up will be a Graupner Krabenkutter which has an ABS hull 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I also like the Aeronaut Pilot Boat, currently subject to a build log on Mayhem, but its quite expensive and all ABS.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 pm

The boom has been re-made and re-painted. The boom support has been fitted and also some railings around the platform which protrudes from the foredeck. The only part not made and fitted is a sledge. I have also found some life rings. I have started my simplified rigging, but not yet tackled the ratlines Shocked.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1346 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1347
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Don't run ya self down Barrie you've done a marvelous job of the build. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 2:40 pm

nothing wrong with your build quality, barrie………...anyone who can put a billing POF model together as good as that is, to me an excellent builder......

why do you think I always build with GRP hulls...……..easier to get a nice finish on them.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 6:03 pm

I need to post some close-up shots then you will see why I am not happy. Will try to do that tomorrow. The overall impression from the photos is OK and would it be fine for a model on the water, but not as a display model.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Limited time for modelling today, but I have made the ratlines 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup My plan worked quite well. I fixed the copy of the plan to a board and covered it with some (hopefully) non-stick paper. I put some pins into the board at the ends of the lines. Then applying the minimum amount of PVA I attached the 1 mm wide mahogany rungs to the lines according to the plan. Ideally these would have been fitted on the edge, but I didn't want tp push my luck. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
I have successfully removed the first side without problems. The only problem I do have is that they are not long enough Rolling Eyes I think this is due to the plan being a 2D representation of a 3D item Shocked In any case it will be quite easy to add one more rung to the bottom.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1348
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 5:43 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Dscn1351

Its finished 2thumbsup The rigging is not as per the plan, but I think it looks OK. I dont plan to build any more POF, but you never know what may be out there Rolling Eyes
Now to clear out the workshop ready for the next.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Img_0013 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Img_0014 
RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Img_0015
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm

excellent barrie, 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  another great build. I wish I could find the incentive to carry on with my build.  confused medication driving me mad.

david
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2