TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Empty
PostSubject: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 pm

I have now acquired my next project. Yet another Billings kit, and another POF. I did consider a cabin cruiser kit from New Maquettes, but this is more interesting, as well as being cheaper. Unlike my normal habit of purchasing old kits off Ebay, this is brand new from a UK supplier Rolling Eyes  The reason is that it was cheaper than the one on Ebay Shocked 

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1237

This is laser cut rather than die cut and the wood should be less brittle - I hope. Its built like the others - in two halves. The "instructions" are no better than other Billings kits.  It is also intended as a static model, and I think I will build it as such. I have enough boats to sail, and in any case I am spending less time sailing - I haven't been to the lake since last November.

I will be posting further when I get started.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 5:32 pm

another cracker, barrie..and a very interesting looking project.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Cant wait to see this one Now going on your other builds I EXCPECT this to be finished in 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 4:08 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Looking forward to the build Barrie.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 6:37 am

stavros wrote:
Cant wait to see this one Now going on your other builds I EXCPECT this to be finished in 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!

Dave
No Dave. I am going to try and go slow o this one lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 6:43 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 12:45 pm

So - first session today. All the bulkheads removed and cleaned. As I suspected, being laser cut means much better quality ply than usually found in Billings kits Thumbup  One thing that was always good with Billings was the quality of the fittings - particularly the brass ones. This kit is no exception. Here they are after sorting into a compartmented box.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1239

After removing and cleaning the first half keel, I started fitting the half bulkheads.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1238 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1240

I do need to fix the keel to the slip. As this is MDF I'm not sure that the nails suggested will hold it. It is also tricky finding enough places that will still be accessible after the decks and planking are in place Rolling Eyes
In accordance with my slow build policy for this model, that's all for today folks lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 6:02 pm

hi barrie
looks a nice kit 2thumbsup , am right in saying it is 1:72 scale on the box, as that seems an odd scale to me  scratch not seen one like that before.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 6:08 pm

David, the kit is certainly better quality than the other Billings I have built recently Thumbup  The laser cutting seems to be good and the wood is certainly much better quality. As for the scale, I was more concerned with the length - all the fittings are supplied so its not an issue having an odd scale.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 01, 2019 9:57 pm

actually david its not such an odd scale as you think...……..it comes between  1.48 and 1;96 as a decent workable scale, and there is a world wide club that models warships in 1;72 making them a decent size for regattas,. unlike the 1;96 scale that deans marine stuck with for most of their warshuip and merchant ships, being only able to sail in good calmish weather...….

see these blokes...…….all 1;72 scale.    https://taskforce72.org/
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 02, 2019 9:11 am

hi neil,
never looked at it that way before as you said I always thought  1:48 and 1:96 were the norm, never come across it before, I am still learning  scratch will it ever end   lol!   I must say the brass fittings look good  barrie .

david
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 02, 2019 11:17 am

davidjt wrote:
hi neil,
never looked at it that way before as you said I always thought  1:48 and 1:96 were the norm, never come across it before, I am still learning  scratch will it ever end   lol!   I must say the brass fittings look good  barrie .

david
I have been modelling boats and ships for 60 years now under the initial  guidance of my grandfather when I was just 8 years old, who was a master cabinet maker and pattern maker, David………..and 60 years on, I'm still learning...……..I learn something new at least once a week...…..so don't worry...…….that's what we are here to do, learn and pass on our knowledge to others.

I wish all modellers were like that. there was one modeller who designed a water jet propulsion drive system for a steam lifeboat similar to that which I was building who refused me 3 times to have a look at his system...….and yet one night at 22.30 abouts rang me up to ask my help about a lifeboat matter...…...when he realised who he was asking he abruptly hung up on me before I could tell him to jog on, lol he went to his grave, donating his model to Holyhead LB station with a caviat that no one was to see the propulsion system in his boat...……...what sort of model maker was he.

and sadly there are one or two on a famous model; boat forum who also keep their great ideas to them selves without passing them on...…….I just find that very sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 02, 2019 1:30 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1241

The last bulwarks have been fitted. The decks are just dry fitted to ensure the bulwarks are lined up correctly. I did find that the slots cut in the half keel are oversize, so its possible to get the bulwarks out of alignment, even though they are vertical. Shocked Luckily the only one which was out was the one I had just fitted so no problem to remove Rolling Eyes , but I must remember when I come to side 2.
The thinner ply for the decks is not such good quality as the keel and bulkheads.
One other issue is that the laser parts are not marked with part numbers which seems a bit strange as its easy to do when cutting. I'm sure they are printed on die cut models.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat May 04, 2019 12:48 pm

The decks have now been stuck down. I had to remove the keel from the slip in order to do this and ensure that the decks didn't stick to the slip! The keel has now been nailed down onto the slip with three nails. All these are accessible after planking and I think the keel is flat. If it starts to warp when I start planking I will have to add some more nails.
Next job is to shape the bulkheads ready for planking. First up are two bulwarks in thin ply.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1242
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun May 05, 2019 4:20 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue May 07, 2019 12:38 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1243

Planking started Thumbup  The bulwarks are fitted, but they are thin ply. the first few planks added - not as shown in the "instructions". I don't think those related to this vessel Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes  It will be planked according to my plans Shocked  I will have to be careful not to leave big gaps as there will be no access from inside once the planking is complete.

You will notice Stavros that I am going s l o w l y on this build - unlike you and your slotcar track lol! lol! lol! 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue May 07, 2019 4:22 pm

I fancy building my next lifeboat plug this way in two halves...…...but instead of POF, im going to  use the same type of foam board that I gave stav to build his hill climb circuit with...….just have to find some more on the roadside that's been flytipped.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm

It certainly makes the planking less daunting. When I built the trawler Norden the decks were not fitted until after the planking. That introduced some twist. This has the decks already glued in so hopefully the two halves will fit together better.

To help with this model I bought an electric plank bender - glorified soldering iron. Another bargain I think. These are around £30 from the usual suppliers, I bought mine from De Agostini for £16. Its an Artesania Latina brand. Using this I don't need hot water in my workshop - which I don't have! I just soak the planks in cold water. It seems to be working. Thumbup

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 08, 2019 12:49 pm

In compliance with my slow build I only managed one plank today Shocked Shocked Shocked  Its really tricky to get a decent line for the planks - I think because the hull is much deeper at the bows than the stern, and the angle of the deck. I'm thinking I shouldn't have tried to follow the line of the bulwarks with the first plank. Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat May 11, 2019 3:25 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1244

Another couple of plans laid. I have also added extra planks to the bulwarks, but think I have done it wrong Embarassed Embarassed .
I am far from certain that I am laying the planks correctly, but as long as I cover it all, after sanding and filling I hope you wont be able to see the pattern Shocked

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun May 12, 2019 1:54 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1245

And more progress. That's it for a few days - I'm heading north to see some friends in Derbyshire - not quite home, but nearer Thumbup 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyFri May 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Well - I know I sid I was going to take my time over this one, but one plank a day is really getting ridiculous Rolling Eyes  I think it must be the shape of the hull, but I am really struggling to get the planks shaped and fitted. I tried working from both deck and keel, but the planks need so many pins and clamps there isn't room to make more progress Crying or Very sad  I have started building some of the other structures and the wheelhouse is next. This will need painting before adding doors and window frames in mahogany, so it seemed a good idea to start now while waiting for planks to dry. All parts cut ready for the next session. The small box is another bit of deck furniture - not sure its purpose except to hold a sledge. There are lots of small assemblies, and more rigging than I thought Rolling Eyes

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1246

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat May 18, 2019 8:31 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue May 21, 2019 1:25 pm

A few more planks added - the hole is getting less, but not an easier shape to fill Shocked  As you will see, this is not one of my better planking attempts Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1247
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyTue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

next time  want a plug for a lifeboat planking, i'll send it to you...….yours is superb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 22, 2019 1:56 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 22, 2019 5:57 pm

No chance Neil Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked 

Planking of side one completed - well there may be some small patches to fill in - ready for removal from the board ready for sanding and filling.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1248

I hope side two goes better.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 23, 2019 1:33 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat May 25, 2019 11:39 am

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1250

Side one has now been sanded and filled and sanded again - ready for a coat of primer so that I can see how much more filling is required. Rolling Eyes 

Side 2 has been started - bulkheads fitted, decks fitted and bulwarks fitted. There are problems with the bulwarks in that the supports show over the top of them. I don't see how this could happen with laser cut parts including location slots for the bulkheads in the keel. The excess will have to be sanded off and hope it doesn't affect anything else. I think the rear superstructure is built on top of the bulwarks Shocked 

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyMon May 27, 2019 6:34 pm

I wasn't happy with the bulwarks, so have 'unglued' most of them and am now working on the planking below deck level. I will come back to the bulwarks later Rolling Eyes 
I am trying a different scheme of planking on this side, and have so far completed about a quarter. Having filled in the top part, I have just fitted a full plan at about the point of maximum curvature. I will then infill above this using shaped planks.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1251

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 29, 2019 6:35 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1252

Making good progress now, although its the tricky bit that's left Cool

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed May 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Looking very good there,so when this half is finished I presume you just glue both halves together.....oh that sounds far to simple
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 30, 2019 6:14 am

That's the idea Dave. We'll have to see what happens Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyThu May 30, 2019 4:09 pm

barriew wrote:
That's the idea Dave. We'll have to see what happens Rolling Eyes 

Barrie
that is how i'm going to build my next plug for my new lifeboat after I finish the two Shannons [yippppeeeeeee]

it is a 45' Watson "type" lifeboat built under licence in Australia in the 1920's

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=E-zvXImhNIbOwQKZm7DgAw&q=queenscliffe+lifeboat&oq=queenscliffe+lifeboat&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i22i30l2.21393.46121..49573...0.0..1.1026.3482.14j3j2j5-1j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10j0i13j0i13i30j0i22i10i30j0i8i13i30.qVZLapGO_qU

its quirky, different, and very interesting, seeing as i have probably 90%  of the fittings for it already in moulds to produce when the time comes. 

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat 23110

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Life-b10

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Victor10
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 12:36 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1256

Second side planking finished and some sanding completed. Stern block roughly carved and fitted. Just waiting for final glue to dry before completing sanding.
There is no slot for a stub prop shaft, so I used some dental burrs to create one.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1257

The two sides fit together very well

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1255 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1254

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 2:19 pm

I finished sanding the second side, added some filler and sanded again, and and filled and sanded again! The two halves are now joined. They have gone together very well - better than the last I built like this.

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1260 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1258
RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1259

There will be more filling and sanding to cover the join. I gave the inside of the bulwarks a coat of sanding sealer as I want to paint them before I go much further. I reckon it will be easier before I fit the capping etc. I do need to add some strips to the outside of the bulwarks. I did this to the first side, but realised it would be better to do it once the halves were joined, so I will add another layer to side 1 and blend it in with side 2.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 2:30 pm

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1262

There has been a lot more filling and sanding since the halves were joined Rolling Eyes Today I added the strengthening strips to the bulwarks. These will be sanded and filled to blend into the hull. I have also painted the insides of the bulwarks whilst I have good access. After finishing the outside of the bulwarks, then I will fit the capping strips which are laser cut. 

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1261

I had great fun last night trying to find a supplier who had the Humbrol Enamel colours I need available. My last 'local' supplier has closed down, so it has to be online, but even Humbrol themselves have no Matt White or Black!!!!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 pm

but even Humbrol themselves have no Matt White or Black!!!!

there is a railway modellers shop in preston on the strand at Oyston mills that has a full range of humbrol….noticed in his rack yesterday when looking for two colours he has mat white and black...……….both in the same can if you want...….called grey, lol...…….he might send out, but they are £1.80 a tin. 

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=lcl&ei=fuL3XPfZCrGd1fAPlp-qiA0&q=transport+models+preston&oq=transport+models&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l9.84084.90251.0.94531.16.14.0.2.2.0.132.1417.8j6.14.0..2..0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.16.1428...0i67k1j0i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i10k1.0.tGjMpoXAM00#rlfi=hd:;si:1170225733336580606;mv:!1m2!1d53.763351877319025!2d-2.722925433852546!2m2!1d53.76299192268097!2d-2.7235343661474536!3m12!1m3!1d201.53012305608166!2d-2.7232298999999997!3d53.763171899999996!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i860!2i525!4f13.1

Transport Models

4.5 (108) · Model shop

Preston

01772 733644

Closed ⋅ Opens 8:30AM Thu

Established hobby shop selling plastic kits and die-cast models, plus railway gear and accessories.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks Neil - I am sorted now, but that's a good price. Humbrol list them at £1.99 on their shop site. It was more a case of finding all the colours in one place, so I didn't have to pay more than one lot of postage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Thumbup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 pm

OK, back from my cruise - and almost recovered from the cold I picked up on it bounce bounce - and back to some modelling. Before the cold kicked in I gave the upper side of the hull a coat of blue paint. It has since been rubbed down lightly. I have also been planking the decks - with 3 mm wide strips. Still quite a way to go. I have also been trying to understand how the main superstructure goes together.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1263 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1264
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Portholes and anchor port fixed to the hull. I have started to fix the bulwark capping strips. The remaining sections require bending. As the rubbing strips also need bending, I will tackle these jobs next time. Still more planking to do. I've worked out how the superstructure goes together, so I can proceed with that also Thumbup

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1266 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1265
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am

So - back to St Roch Thumbup

Today I finished fitting the rubbing strips - with difficulty. The wood just didn't want to bend even after soaking for 24 hours and applying heat. The nippers just squashed the wood and it sprung back bounce bounce bounce

Managed somehow with lots of CA and accelerator. It wasn't possible to clamp the strips so had to use tape and fingers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I gave the top of the hull another coat of paint. The observant among you may notice a colour change Shocked I used gloss last time as it was the nearest match to the Billings colour specified, but this is matt. I haven't decided which to go with yet. The rubbing strips 'should' be black - we'll see Cool

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1313
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 pm

This morning I planked the rear deck and then started to build and fix the main superstructure. All this has to be planked with 2mm mahogany Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. I think it will be easier to do this before adding the roof. I also have to finish planking the foredeck  Crying or Very sad

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1314
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Looking good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Too much planking Damien and in 2 mm strips - I may lose the will to carry on lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 am

All (?) the planking completed 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I did cheat a little Embarassed  I used a piece of 0.8 mm ply for the front and scored it to represent planks. The face was not even, so planking wouldn't have looked good - that's my excuse anyway. Rolling Eyes The superstructure sides have been sanded and coated with sanding sealer ready for paint. I completed the foredeck planking as well - just the edges to trim when the glue is hard. I think I will paint this now before I put on the upper deck. I will revert to the gloss colour as the wheelhouse is already fifnished in that colour, and with the wood trims it would be too fiddly to re-paint.

Barrie

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1315 RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Dscn1316
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat   RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat Empty

Back to top Go down

RCMP St Roch- an Artic Patrol Boat
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next