TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Billings propshaft size

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
coastie23
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Billings propshaft size Empty
PostSubject: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 10:55 am

Anyone know what size a billings propshaft size is is it m2 or m3 trying to find a brass 35mm 3 bladed propeller to fit it one tried billings got no reply.
Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I think that might depend upon the vessel...……..

m2 is quite a heafty shaft, and usually seen more on models of 60" and more...…...my two 46" lifeboats quite happily run on m4 or even m5...………….m2 is getting on for 6-8mm  diameter, which is a beast of a shaft.even on my 72" Clyde class lifeboat I only used m4 shafts/threads.

Billings propshaft size 00412810

that model had 92mm propellers on it.

but I doubt very much whether it is an M3, as these are very seldom used on model boats...….in fact I've never seen a kit with an m3 shaft/thread or propellors  with such a thread
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 pm

You got that the wrong way round Neil!!!!

M2 is SMALLER than M4.

You are thinking BA size where the smaller the number the bigger the shaft, with metric shafts the bigger the number the bigger the shaft diameter.

However Billings used both 2mm and 3mm shafts in their kits depending on the boat size.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 2:20 pm

gribeauval wrote:
You got that the wrong way round Neil!!!!

M2 is SMALLER than M4.

You are thinking BA size where the smaller the number the bigger the shaft, with metric shafts the bigger the number the bigger the shaft diameter.

However Billings used both 2mm and 3mm shafts in their kits depending on the boat size.

that I am mate...…...sorrreeeee…………….living in the past,. yes...…..probably is an m2...….or possibly m4...…..but I've not seen an m3 in kits.. but stand to be corrected. ..best bet would be if you have an engineering outlet around your area.....they'd soon tell you what thread...…...and then google prop shop...….best props there are......beautiful cast things, not soldered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 2:23 pm

mind you....M3.....Billing...……..yep I can believe it...…….everything was odd about their kits when I built them years ago...……….especially their choice of timber in them...…...horrible stuff.
Back to top Go down
coastie23
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 3:10 pm

model is Boulogne étaples.Definately not a m4 as i have one spare here for another boat and propeller is to big
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm

coastie23 wrote:
model is Boulogne étaples.Definately not a m4 as i have one spare here for another boat and propeller is to big

if I were going from guess work then, knowing the size of that nice model fishing boat I would say the 3mm but as I said...….Billing were a law unto themselves.....

they were odd in everything they did...….even their plans were guesswork...………….

BUT...……..building those made many people good builders and great problem solvers...…..they needed to be. 

I MUST SAY THOUGH.THAT LITTLE MODEL WAS A CRACKER...……….I had a chap at the night school I taught model boat building at build one, and he made a good job of it.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 5:10 pm

I built that boat many years ago and I think it was M3.

Quickest way to check is get an M3 nut and see if it fits on the shaft, then as Neil mentioned talk to Protean Design/Prop shop for a new prop. They will do M3 if you need it.

https://www.prop-shop.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Quite likely to be an M3 if its a slightly older kit. I recently built an older version of Billings White Star and that was M3.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 pm

i'm glad there are people on here who know what they are talking about...………..because I haven't a bl***y clue.....sorry.
Back to top Go down
coastie23
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks Guys Think its M3 Will ring propshop as there not taking online orders.
Thanks again
Coastie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billings propshaft size   Billings propshaft size Empty

Back to top Go down

Billings propshaft size
Page 1 of 1