TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Empty
PostSubject: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 5:59 pm

well, now that my part in the steam lifeboat build has come to an end as far as I am concerned I have two projects that I am going to be spending my time on in the near future.........one project which I will bring to the public on here.........but won't be putting on a facebook page where the none naughty amongst us can watch.....it will be open to all..............so that might give you a clue as to what the two models built in conjunction will be..........

but the one I propose to get me back into a lifeboat build where I wont get bored is a model of a 60' Barnett class lifeboat called Princess Mary.

it is one that I have wanted to build for some years and at the proper scale of 1:12 scale will be 61" LOA.

However the plug will not be built as per my normal plugs. POF IS OUT, and foam between frames is going to be my route. Also I am not going to build it upside down and full hulled...........but am going down the route of Barrie's last build, the Billing Boats Norden where the boat hull is built in two halves and then glued together once each half has been complete.    https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1578-billings-norden

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Prince11

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better S-l16012

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7310

so I have been on the hunt around the area, wickes, Homebase, b & q........builders yards, anyone, and the only stuff I was able to get was the stuff similar to Kingspan at anything fro 40 to 90 quid for a sheet of 8' x 4'.........totally useless as I would have no use for the majority remaining after my plug was made, and so I put my build on the backburner............until I came across the remnants of a scumbag fly tipper........a load of blue remnants of high impact foam...........it was thin stuff and had been out in the rain for a little while and the plasterboard had finally become detached from the foam............like a womble I picked it all up that I could reach without ripping my hands and legs apart on the brambles entwined around the rest................but I think I might have enough to build a 60" hull and it cost me nothing.

I have the ply for the keel and frames.......had the building board but threw it away thinking i'd never build scratch again, but looks like I am, lol..........so need another board, now got the foam............and will get a bottle of glue.............just need the weather to get warmer.......and then i'll be off, lol........oh joy

this will be another epic warts and all saga.....all criticism welcome.......it's not a kit., lol.
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Bigger Womble?   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Collecting things like a Womble you say?
Now I can compare thee to a summers day,well not quite,but Great Uncle Bulgaria springs to mind so you must be he lol. Laughing Exclamation Laughing Very Happy
But whoever you may be,it should be a great model.
Cant wait for you to get started!
Mick F.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm

battleshipbuff wrote:
Collecting things like a Womble you say?
Now I can compare thee to a summers day,well not quite,but Great Uncle Bulgaria springs to mind so you must be he lol. Laughing Exclamation Laughing Very Happy
But whoever you may be,it should be a great model.
Cant wait for you to get started!
Mick F.
Well I ain't someone else, if that's what you mean lol..........i'm me, neil. lol! lol! confused confused confused
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Bigger lifeboats is always better!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Yehhhhhhh......right on lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm

I'VE BEEN COLLECTING A LITTLE MORE.................for my build of the Barnett.

I have been out to the local builders timber merchants and bought both the timber for the building board, 20mm faced plywood and half a sheet of 4mm faced plywood for the frames.

I have "wombled" the foam board and have plenty of glue for all the fabrication. just waiting now for the new owner of the half built steam lifeboat and moulds for it to come along and collect.

he/she, (giving no more away than that) is going to do something with it eventually and get it working under water jet power, and I will have the space to continue the build of the new lifeboat...........will even move the Calmac Jupiter to a less dusty environment to make more space for the build..

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7312

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7313

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7410

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7314
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm

well.................my start of my new model has come to an abrupt end for a few days...................................

no, not a modelling injury...........a very frightened runaway dog, trailing its lead behind it, was in danger of being run over by motorists.................so I went to help and retrieve it.........and the s o d  bit my hand...........so have had to have two lots of anti biotics and a tetanus shot in the arm...........and i'm feeling very queasy and sickly at the moment.......just my luck.

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7411
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyFri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 am

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyFri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

That's a bit nasty Neil, did you complete the task of saving the dog or did it come to an untimely end ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyFri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm

it was rounded up by the local dog warden so the police said later that afternoon, so at least it was safe.........believe it was chipped as well.

good ending in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptySun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 pm

right!,

ready to get back to things now that the plasters have come off my hand................and guess what...........I've lost my carbon paper to trace the outlie of the profile for the hull to transpose onto my 4 mm ply...........stalled at the first hurdle, and taking the kids out tomorrow, so it'll be Tuesday before I can look for the stuff......

will get there in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm

think I overdid it on the foam collection..............cut into uniform width strips, I've enough there to build a big Titanic, nevermind a lifeboat...............but don't worry folks that ship is overdone and a rivet counters paradise, lol.

at least it was free ..................and two different thicknesses..........that lot would have cost me a fortune to buy.

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7414

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7415

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Img_7416
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better   LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better Empty

Back to top Go down

LIFEBOATS............BIGGER is better
Page 1 of 1