TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

American Coastal Tour Master

Go down 
+2
Imcc
barriew
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

American Coastal Tour Master Empty
PostSubject: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 5:58 pm

This is my next project! Something a little simpler than the fishing boat Laughing In fact it is described by the makers as a beginners model. I bought it off ebay for £40 including postage which I thought was quite a bargain. One problem - being an American kit, its all imperial measurements Shocked Shocked. Its not very recent I think, but in excellent condition.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0434

I hope to add a few details and passengers to add a bit of interest. I'm just waiting for the prop shaft to arrive so that I can start as it is installed as the keel is constructed.

Barrie

Last edited by barriew on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Imcc
Gunner
Gunner
Imcc

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 pm

I can never seem to find these bargains. Are you related to my wife? She's always coming home with bargains. Must keep my eye on eBay a bit more often 
Ian
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am

I check most days to see if there are any interesting kits available, but I always set myself a limit including postage. I was bidding on a Deans Marine vac formed puffer kit recently which is still available from Deans - it went for more than the new price Shocked Shocked.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 pm

You have a real gem there, especially for that price!

I've built a Midwest 'Boothbay Lobster Boat' and it was probably the best kit I've ever handled in 50 years of modelling. The plans were beautifully drawn and accurate; the instructions were incredibly comprehensive and in a logical order, explaining even the tiniest detail with superb line drawings; the wood was excellent in size, grade and finish and the extras even ran to glass-fibre cloth for the hull and cotton sheet for the sail. I'll bet you find the same quality with this kit. It's a shame that Midwest seem to have ceased kit production altogether. Mine was as good as the Dumas 'Lord Nelson Victory' Tug was bad....

It was the same price as the Lobster Boat kit yet I've had to throw away most of the materials supplied, up to the stage where I put it on one aside in disgust (hull planked and glassed). The "down-home -y'all" folksy tone of the instructions would have been amusing if the kit hadn't been so damned frustrating.  The superstructure will be next; it's made mainly of some dreadful foam-styrene sheet which cracks rather than bends and weighs a ton. No doubt that will have to go as well, along with the prop tube/shaft (Imperial threads) and the 2-blade, X-pitch plastic prop. I have spent most of my modelling life designing kits and enjoying the process, but having to redesign someone else's kit simply to get the thing built is out of order. There is a word for this sort of "quality" - but this is a family forum so perhaps not. We'll just leave it as "Avoid". I will finish it if only because I refuse to admit that I wasted £250.

Now back to soldering up 144 x P95's......I really know how to have a good time!

Dave M
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks Dave - it certainly looks to be a quality kit. Most of the wood is a version of Liteply. I'm not sure how it has been cut - they call it Micro Cut which just leaves a slight burr on one side. The plan is good if a little cramped, but every thing appears to be there. There was no prop shaft supplied as they expect you to buy either the electric or steam pack, so I bought a 3.5 inch one from MMB.

Its just been fitted. A slightly strange method of gluing it into the keel when the latter is flat on the board. It seems as though this ensures it is slightly off centre, as the keel thickness is less than the diameter of the tube. I have tried to centre it by packing up the keel. 

The rudder tube has also been fitted. The rudder is made from a brass rod and liteply blade, so I have drilled the rod to take some brass wire into the blade.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0435
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Barrie
The Lobster Boat also has that slightly off-centre way of fitting the shaft, and I too packed it out so that it was central with the skeg. I've been trying to read the plan ref length and beam but your picture isn't quite large enough for me to make them out. Could you tell me the numbers, please?
Here is the CMB website's piccy of the Victory (cute, huh?) which totally belies the chaos awaiting any buyer. Apparently it's "now better than ever" since a redesign in 2012 - Lord ha' mercy!! BTW the real one isn't a tug at all - it's a rich man's weekend cruiser made up to look like one (complete with the option of a BMW diesel engine). I'd sooner have a Fairey Huntsman.
American Coastal Tour Master Lord_n10

Don't lose that Midwest plan - I might well come to you for a copy at some time.
Dave M
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

I just love the variety of builds on this forum. there are some very nice and fine models being built, and it really is refreshing, so much so that I got some of my ferry done today.........a mile stone...........do a bit more tonight and then take some pics.

but not wishing to steal the limelight...........I look forward to all your builds barrie, and this one is no exception.

keep 'em coming guys.........the more the merrier.

neil.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Dave

19 inches x 7 3/4 x 10 tall. Claims 1/2 inch to the foot. The only thing missing from the kit as far as I can see is material to glaze the windows.
You are very welcome to the plan and build manual when I've finished.

Neil

The thing is that I have no interest in 'grey funnel' models so I have to search harder to find something unusual  Very Happy

Barrie
Back to top Go down
inertia
Midshipman
Midshipman
inertia

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks, Barrie, and I've plenty of 0.5mm clear acetate sheet if you would like some.
Dave M
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for the offer Dave but I should be OK. I haven't checked the parts list to see if it should have been included.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Checked the instructions and parts list and no mention of glazing the windows!
The keel has been removed from the building board and the keel strips fitted. All the bulkheads have been removed from their boards and edges tidied up. 
Before I started assembly I drew round the bulkheads so they can be used as templates should anyone else fancy building this.
This version of Liteply is very weak - the narrow bulwark supports are particularly fragile - I've snapped two of them already just trial fitting them to the deck. The main and sub-deck halves have been glued together and I am ready now to assemble the bulkheads to the deck.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0510
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 08, 2017 2:32 pm

he deck has now been fixed in place.Had to use CA glue as the deck is by no means flat Shocked, and needed quick drying as it was not really possible to clamp it, particularly bearing in mind how soft and fragile to ply is.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0511 

Next the chine stringers ( called chine logs in the instructions) were fitted. 

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0515

I made a slight mistake here I think. I believe the bottom of the rear sub-deck should have been flush with the bottom of the chine, and I have it level with the top Embarassed It was't absolutely clear in the drawings, and it was only when I started thinking about planking the hull I realised. I will chamfer a bit if strip and fit it to the underside of the deck. The 'planking' supplied is 1/16th balsa. The sides are planked with vertical strips, the bottom has pre-cut sheets. I do have some 0.8mm ply and I may see if it is possible to cut panels using that.

Last job today was to make and fit a motor mount whilst I could still see to align it. I am using a small motor with no markings. It looks about the size of a 280 and has very low current draw. I found a moulded plastic mount which will be ideal. Its stuck to a ply board and to two packers alongside the keel.

There will be plenty of room for batteries, ESC etc as it was designed to take a steam engine and boiler.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0513 American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0514
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 5:08 am

A really nice little boat Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 1:37 pm

This morning I fitted two small hooks to the motor mounting plate to use for holding down the motor, and then sanded down the stringers and bulkheads ready for planking. I then spent some time considering the viability of using some 0.8 mm ply to cover the hull, but decided it would be quite tricky to get a good fit, and so reverted to using the balsa sheets supplied. One side of the upper hull has been done. Once complete the balsa will need covering with tissue and resin.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0516
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:28 pm

you certainly crack on, barrie..........I wish I had that enthusiasm.............but they always turn out beautifully. you have a real knack of choosing beautiful models to build, and they are always beautifully built and finished.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 am

The other side has been planked. Before doing so I gave the inside and out of the first side a coat of EzeKote resin. I wont be able to do all the inside of the second side, but as its going to be covered with tissue and more resin it should be OK.

I have also fixed the bottom skin on one side. This is quite tricky as there are some sharpish curves, and not much opportunity to clamp. I used aliphatic glue, maybe CA would have been better  Rolling Eyes  The instructions say to spray with Windex which I assume includes ammonia in its makeup to soften the wood. As I didn't have any - I didn't use it lol!   There is quite a lot of material to trim off when its dry.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0517

I'm not sure its enthusiasm Neil - more like fear of boredom if I don't do some modelling almost every day lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 pm

This morning, the very front of the skin had not stuck, so I attacked it with super glue and eventually got it fixed. As you can see, there is an awkward overhang to remove

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0518

After sanding, I was still left with a problem from all the superglue Embarassed Rolling Eyes, but also the shape didn't appear correct, so out came the filler lol!

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0519

after several iterations of filler and sanding I have an acceptable shape - which I forgot to photograph Shocked

The second skin gave me lots of trouble - in fact it split. I tried to glue the split but it didn't hold. I have some 1/16th balsa, but its only 3" wide and the skin needs 4" bounce bounce As previously mentioned, I have some 0.8 mm ply so I decided to try that, the alternative being a 50 mile round trip to buy one sheet of balsa.

This has now been fitted. 

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0520

using super glue this time. As you can see, there is a lot of work required to bring it to the same profile as the other side Rolling Eyes This is supposed to be a beginners boat, but this area is actually quite tricky unless the Windex makes it easy lol! .

One other problem - most of the bulwark supports have now broken off. bounce bounce bounce They will be replaced with wire stiffening when I'm ready to fit the bulwarks, but only after I've finished shaping the hull.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 pm

The excess ply has been trimmed and  filler applied. I think that the two sides are more or less even, although it not easy to be sure until I get some paint on. By then it will have been covered with tissue and resin and may not be able to be corrected. Rolling Eyes
All the bulwark supports have been removed and will be replaced with suitable sized strip wood. These will be glued and pinned to the deck before I fit the bulwarks.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0521

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm

The bulwark supports and bulwarks have been fitted. I had to remake one of the bulwarks, so I used the hull skin that cracked. Thumbup the joint between the sides and bulwarks will eventually be covered by a rubbing strip.
I have also made an fitted a battery box.
The next job is to fit the seat round the stern, then complete the bulwarks around the stern. I did think that I might plank the deck with some material I have left from a kit, but there isn't enough of it, so the deck will be painted as per the instructions Rolling Eyes
One thing I am not too happy about is that the rudder linkage and tiller are mounted above the deck. I think I may try to build a cover to go over them.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0522
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 11:24 am

Rear seat fitted and bulwarks completed round the stern - just waiting for the glue to harden for final sanding and filling and then it will be ready for tissue and resin Thumbup

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0523 American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0524

Looking forward to the cabin, I think I have a problem. The sides are made from die cut basswood, but this is already split in the box. Both sides are the same - I have tried a repair but think it may be better to re-make them in Liteply.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0525

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 am

Looking really good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Is this a working or static model barrie......
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Working this one Neil.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Good ho.......always feel sad about a model boat that never looses her virginity lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 am

When I came to examine the cabin sides this morning I found more cracks, so decided to make new ones in Liteply. Its slightly thicker and will need more finishing, but should be stronger! The bulwarks have been finished - had to replace a small piece this morning. I just have to bend and fit a bit of strip to the Stem, then it will be ready for resin and tissue.
Have to collect Grandson now, so no more until Monday Crying or Very sad

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0526
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 pm

I fitted a strip of wood around the stem today, and faired it in. The inside of the gunwales and the deck and all the outside of the hull have had a coat of resin. I am ready to apply the tissue - but I haven't got any. Shocked I thought I had some left but it wont cover one side bounce I have ordered more but it probably wont arrive until the end of the week.
I finished cutting the windows in the side of the cabin, and decided to cut the front panels in Liteply also. The kit has the rear wall of the cabin blank with a door stuck on, which I didn't like, so I have cut windows in the wall and the door. Rolling Eyes
Forgot to take photos today Embarassed

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I set out to build the cabin while waiting for the tissue to arrive. For some reason, the die cut sides were not made full size Shocked It is necessary to add some strip wood to extend them. Rolling Eyes I can only assume that it is because of lack of availability of suitable sized basswood. So I had to use some strips of ply as the ply I used is thicker than the supplied strips bounce I think you can just see the join in this photo lol! The second photo shows all the components of the cabin after treatment with resin.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0530 American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0529

The postman then brought my tissue, so I was able to cover the hull. Quite an awkward shape, so rather more cuts and overlaps than I would like.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0528

And after trimming, sanding and more coats of resin. It will require more of both before its finished Thumbup

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0527

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am

The hull has been thoroughly sanded and a final coat of resin applied. It is now ready for painting but its a bit difficult to wear a mask for spraying when your nose is constantly dripping lol!, so it will have to wait a day or two.
The cabin has also been treated to several coats of resin and rubbing down. The grain of the Liteply was very coarse, but I think I have filled it with the resin. I have started to build the cabin. I plan to fit a floor so I can put in some seats and passengers and a Captain, so am having to work this out as I go along, in particular the order of doing things like glazing and painting Rolling Eyes . Also the ply was thicker than the basswod so some dimensions need tweaking.
I now have the receiver and ESC plus some servo linkages and so I may move onto sorting out the final equipment locations and in particular the servo mount and linkages. In order to cover thge linkages and tiller, I am thinking of fitting a false deck from the rear of the cabin to the stern.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0532 American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0531
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 am

Looking good Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 am

Yes indeed, looking good and good progress is being made as usual 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks guys. I rather think it may be stuck in this state for a few weeks. I'm currently suffering with a rather nasty cough/cold that is going around this part of the world and in no fit state to don mask and start spraying. On Friday we set off for a cruise for two weeks, so It will be well into May before this progresses I think.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 am

have a nice holiday barrie Thumbup , and come back refreshed and Cool, ready to start painting, the sea air should clear you out. where are you of to.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:33 am

David

Guernsey, Oporto, Spain, France and the reason for this cruise - the Scilly Isles. Always wanted to go there, and this cruise makes it easy. We only get one day, but at least its crossed of my list!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
davidjt
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
davidjt

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am

hi barrie,

fantastic 2thumbsup . that's on my  wish list amongst others Smile

have a grate  time.

david
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyFri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Well, I've been back over a week and only just managed to get back to the model - almost one month since my last post. Great holiday, BUT we didn't get to the Isles of Scilly  Sad Sad It was too windy to safely anchor within the Islands. Instead we had a very good day in Cork.

I'm ready to paint the hull, but checking my spray cans, I doubt I have enough white primer, so it will have to wait. Hopefully I can get some on Sunday after my trip to the lake.
I have been making seats for the 'inside' passengers. I only have one seated passenger. I tried to buy some more just before I went away, but lost out, so will have to wait now for some to come from China. I have some standing figures and plan to try to modify one as the Captain.

I have cut the floor for the cabin, but think I may remake it in thinner material. 

Tomorrow I plan to fit the steering servo and linkages then I can see about a false deck at the stern to hide the links.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0534 American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0533
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat May 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Not much progress today  bounce The tiller supplied with the kit is plastic and intended to be a push fit on the brass rudder shaft. Not very satisfactory, so I spent rather a long time trying to improve this. I don't have room to use my preferred method of a modified pin from a 13 amp plug so had to find an alternative. Eventually I ditched the supplied tiller and using one from a micro servo managed to drill through and insert a piece of brass wire to hold it. I will probably add some filler to ensure nothing moves.

I also painted the inside cabin walls and also the seats. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm

it is really really a beautiful little model........so clean and crisp.......superb build barry.

the seating looks the job too.

I needed 4 steamer seats for the Jupiter and they look like the ones on railway station platforms of old.......no way was I even going to attept to make them........so looked om ebay and there they were for £1.39 for 5......only needed 4..........just have to wait for them to come from china.

American Coastal Tour Master S-l16010
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon May 22, 2017 1:41 pm

I saw those seats Neil, but didn't think they would fit my cabin. If you had gone on searching eBay I think you could have sourced them from the UK. Would have cost more, but no waiting lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon May 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi barrie.......am in no hurry for them as they'll be one of the last things to go on it.....went for the cheapest.... £1.39 inc postage......cheapskate lol.....its a bit daunting looking at all the gear that has gone into and on this thing just how much it has cost me and other people....so justifying the gross outlay of 1.39 lol.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyTue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Well I actually got some paint on at last. Both primer and two coats of Appliance White. Most of the boat is white with a red stripe and dark underwater, so I sprayed it all.   2thumbsup Just two problems though

I got some runs  Embarassed bounce bounce bounce
The photo I took is out of focus Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

When its had time to harden, I'll attack it with some 1200 grade wet and dry, then re paint. As most of the hull is white I just sprayed it all. It wasn't worth masking. The other colours can go over the top of the white.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed May 24, 2017 1:51 pm

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0535

Runs sanded out and some blemishes filled. Sprayed primer again and now waiting for top coat, but it turned very warm here, so will leave for another day.
I also painted the stands for the seats, and also the outside walls of the cabin and the window reveals. I need to get these painted so that I can glaze the windows.
I cut a new cabin floor from 1 mm ply, and fitted strengtheners underneath as it was a little bowed. Its had a coat of sanding sealer and is ready for painting.

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0536
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I have that same problem painting white..........it runs far more than any other paint, especially appliance white, and the only way I can stop it is to spray short blasts , and let it dry..........has the covering power if a net curtain, lol................and then I get impatient and put too much on at once..........causing more work, bah humbug Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptySat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Progress is very slooooooow. Its too hot - not something we normally say in late May lol!. I still need to re-spray the hull, but I have given the cabin a second coat of satin white. The cabin floor has been painted, and I have made and fixed a support for the servo. I have also wired up the electrics ready to be installed. I can now glaze the cabin, but am waiting for some 3 mm wide double sided tape like Neil uses.
Rather than a false floor to cover the servo linkage, I'm just going to cover the linkage. Its not really possible to get the whole area covered in one piece.

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon May 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Finally got the white top coat on 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I think its OK - will wait until its hard before checking. Until it is I'm stuck. Sad I need some supplies to continue with the cabin.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon May 29, 2017 12:48 pm

I know how you feel barrie.....i have to get my radio gear set up with this digital gear and im loosing the battle at mo........but cant put anything on the boat till i have......my brain is too old to understand modern stuff llol
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyMon May 29, 2017 1:12 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I know how you feel barrie.....i have to get my radio gear set up with this digital gear and im loosing the battle at mo........but cant put anything on the boat till i have......my brain is too old to understand modern stuff llol
Neil,

Check out our respective ages. If I can do it, then so can you lol! lol! lol! lol!

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyTue May 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when my double sided tape arrived today Thumbup I have glazed all the cabin windows, including the front ones. I have taken the easy way out and used thin acetate stuck across the three windows. I have added window sills on one side only at the moment, but it now looks like this.

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0538

I can now fit the floor and seats and probably the front windows, then I have to wait for my figures to come from China!

I have also masked the hull ready to paint the red band. I have painted the edge of the masking tape with white paint which I hope will seal it and prevent the red from seeping under the edge. It worked on the Fishing boat   -  when I remembered the trick half way through painting her Shocked

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0537

Barrie
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyWed May 31, 2017 1:05 pm

The red stripe has had two coats of paint - slightly different shades as I wasn't happy with the first Rolling Eyes I think it may need another. I finished fitting the window sills and also fixed the rear cabin door and floor. 
My seated figures also arrived from China today, so I have a lot of painting to do. Anyone know an easy method for removing paint from plastic? Being Chinese they all have black hair Shocked

Barrie

American Coastal Tour Master Dscn0539
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master EmptyThu Jun 01, 2017 11:39 am

Coming along nicely Barrie.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Coastal Tour Master   American Coastal Tour Master Empty

Back to top Go down

American Coastal Tour Master
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next