TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chris1492
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Empty
PostSubject: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi I'm after buying a ready made tyne or at least a moulding where did you get yours and would you possibly be up for selling

Topic clean up, split from another thread. Admin
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Odds of affording a prebuilt to this standard will be into the several thousand zone. ( not saying you can't but most people underestimate the real value of such models) 

Speedline do the best versions with all the details as a kit.. http://speedlinemodels.com/ they won't be cheap ( these kits are in the £900 mark and you still have to built, paint, and install running gear and all the extras so the finished model will cost you closer to £1500-2000 finished) , although i don't think they do a 'tyne' 

Modelslipway do a Trent and a Tammar class kit  http://www.modelslipway.com/ which is fine but its less heavy on the pocket. you'll have to work extra hard to get the full details in tho.

you can check out Modelbydesign http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/

They have a few GRP moldings but you will have to build everything else from scratch.

Good luck!

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 10:17 pm

as you say RR, people just don't realise the hours that go into scratch building a model of such complexity, especially when the thing is designed fro the ground up.

These three took 1000 hours each to build, not considering the materials and electrics that go into them, and there's no end of jacks the lad who want to buy them for £250 quid, lol+........

lets face it.........would they work for 25pence an hour...........errrr no.

and so they go nowhere.

rather them collect dust than sell for that price.

neil.Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 001_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 007_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 008_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Walles10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Walles11Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 001_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 007_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts 008_co10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Walles10
Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Walles11
Back to top Go down
chris1492
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 pm

I was just wondering I'd it scratch built or if you got the mouldings from models by design as I have someone who will build it for me for less than 900
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 pm

I know what you mean Neil, although that said i've been offered silly money for a couple of my models!

The wooden weenip with my parquetry union jack some guy was willing to give me a grand in cash for it, Turned him down tho since it was literally just finished, and besides to me its priceless. 
(thing was my mom and dad got me the kit for xmas a couple years back, it only cost me time, paint and some strip wood to build it everything else was prepaid for, but i have enough respect to not sell something my parents brought me, and not to mention i had my brush with death during its construction and was close to never seeing it finished)  

I've had silly offers on my Dolphin even in its unfinished state and more recently i had an email from someone wanting to buy my working rowing boat! some models i just won't part with easy no matter how large the cheque is. 

Fyi tho, if someone offers me anything in the £10,000 mark for any of my boats consider them sold. i can build new ones  Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 pm

no one, can pay me for the amount of passion that I put into a model..........if someone asks me to build for them, then I would put a price on it commensurate with taking me away from what I want to build, as time at our time in life is prescious.......in fact time has run out for me because of the chronic arthritis I now suffer, and scratch building is virtually over......might knock off a kit now and then on the kitchen table,so sadly no more commissions..........but I certainly wouldn't sell that beautiful boat of yours for a grand.........no way.

as for the moulds for my lifeboats..........sorry, not available as there are plans afoot for them with a person of repute one day.

and if you can get a model built for 900 sobs..........sap his hand off.......wouldn't get me out of bed for that price, lol.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 pm

chris1492 wrote:
I was just wondering I'd it scratch built or if you got the mouldings from models by design as I have someone who will build it for me for less than 900

You'll have to fish about bud for moldings, there are options and plans available to scratch build most models. which is what a lot of models tend to be.

Building a kit is one thing, building from a plan is quite another, £900 for a custom built model sounds like a bargain tho given these lifeboat details and such as Neil said bite his hand off at that price ( but only if he can give you something as good as you see here other wise then you just got a bum deal)

Don't take this as a rant though i did drag on a bit with some sorta point....

Although .... i've said this before cheque book modeling is one thing but then you only have respect for its cost not in its workings, its details nor its true beauty, nor do you fully understand when things go wrong, that construction process may have a lot of details put in that may not be obvious should something go amiss.

I have no doubt some people cannot build models and i do understand real life constraints don't always allow for a model to be built and the only resort is to buy to which i'll just say that's life and move on, but you don't hold my respect as a fellow modeler I will firmly sit you in cheque book model section.

Don't get me wrong i would be a very poor person if i didn't build for others but the difference is they get what they pay for ( which is still an outstanding model by any decent standards) but there is no attachment or real pride to it, its like selling a house, put some work into it make it nice but end game i'm looking for the profit.

I will always ask anyone wanting a model to be built for them the reasons why they don't try their hand first?
IF your capable then i'm not going to do it for you and believe me i've turned down silly sums of cash for models to be built due to the arrogance of some who believe that throwing money around is a way to get what you want.

Sorry each model built is part of the builders personality, they put blood sweat and tears into them ( and believe me i've lost a fair few night sleep and pints of blood on many models)  and that makes them PRICELESS.

People i have built for are those who have tried and failed, older and hands are not what they used to be, disabled people not fully capable.
 The pink weenip i built was for a club member who was having a period with family illness taking up his time and not being able to do his wifes boat for her ( that's getting your prioritizes straight). 
If i hadn't moved house earlier this year i would have built his Steam plant Tig Tug at Cost only from scratch! My last few have been retirement gifts for company's to give to employees leaving employment after 30-40 years service and current is for an overseas project.

chris1492
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 7:19 am

Only reason I ask is I'm in the armed forces and don't have the time to build models so I have to resort to buying or getting it built for me I just wanted to simply know if it's a models by design hull as you get the cabins with it
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm not sure who the hull's are...

I think they are custom scratch builds, however the models by design hull's are fine, the original molds are good, they were purchased like all his other molds from people of real skill, the moldings themselves can be good or bad it all depends on the person laying up, but at the prices i would expect them to be of reasonably good quality.

Get your mate who's going to build it to start a blog here , we cna keep an eye on his work while your away and offer guidance if needed.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts   Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts Empty

Back to top Go down

Source for Tyne Lifeboat parts
Page 1 of 1