TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scratch build of a Shrimper

Go down 
+13
intrepid75
Footski
pugwash
phil winks
DickyD
Kleban
Tug--Kenny
Mark
Roadrunner
scalloway41
Ole Vauger
cpt jack sparrow
AlanP
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 pm

this really does just keep on getting better and better Alan so glad to see you've not been idle these last couple of weeks mate. Wink
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 pm

After being banned out of the workshop over Christmas and then banned again cos I had man flue I have managed to get back to the build.

So I have started to make the rigging blocks for the mast and boom, bellow are a few pics of them, the hook is carved out of a piece of lead, the rest is all brass.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3528

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3529

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3530
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3531

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3532
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 pm

oooh lovely work Alan !! as usuall mate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm

yes, I agree.lovely stuff.

neil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 am

I agree with Phil and Neil great work.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

The pully blocks for the mast and boom are finished and fitted, plus a double one at the bottom of the boom. I had a bit of trouble with the rope (string) it had a mind of it's own, so it was soaked in hot water, fitted and bits of lead put on the hooks.

I have also made a small electric whinch to work the hooks on the boom

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3533

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3535

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3536

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3537
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Truly lovely mate and a real inspiration and such a credit to our forum that you've chosen to share this with us and the world thankyou
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm

a veritable work of art.
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Agreed. A real beauty..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 pm

brilliant matey.........I just love that little winch with the hand held buttons.simply superb.

neil.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 pm

A few more bits done, the lifebelt was one of those with plastic rope around it and didnt look right, so the plastic rope was cut off and flats filed at these points, small pieces of plastic tube cut and flats filed on these, then said plastic tube superglued to the lifebelt, filler used to marry the bits of tube to the lifebelt and then painted. When dry the rope was threaded through the bits of tube, in my opinion it looks better. Brackets where then made to hold the lifebelts.

Mounting brackets made for the axes, also rungs made for the port side to gain access to the raised forward deck.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3538

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3539

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3540
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I've just noticed looking at this work of art again, the little fish in the boxes..what did you make those from alan.

they look superb.

neil.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 am

Hi Alan

Very nice close up shots lately but how is she looking overall?

Dave
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Neil, I picked the fish boxes out of a box, anything for a £1 making them 50p each, wish I had got more now. I think it was on George Turner Models stall, but I could be wrong. One pic for you Neil.

Dave, here are some pics of the whole boat as it stands now, just for you Very Happy I gave the crew permision to come aboard for the photo shoot Smile

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3541

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3542

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3543

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3544

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3546
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

All very nice, but not a sigle shrimp to be seen in those boxes!! Twisted Evil Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Ah, yes shrimps, mmm, well I will have to think about that, maybe change the title of the build Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:13 am

Alan that is a really cracking job you have done. You must be really pleased with it - you should be.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I have made a start on the otter boards, a piece of brass was given a coat of matt black to make marking out easier, after marking out holes were drilled to get the abrafile in, for those that don’t know what a abrafile is, it is shown on the third photo with the clips that you fit it to the hacksaw with.

The otter boards were cut out in pairs and then filed to the marks in pairs.

As the boards will be fitted with Oak, the trick will be getting them to just and saw to sink, otherwise the trawl net will be floating on the top of the pond.

I have tried to make very small rivet’s to fit these boards together with little success, so I have sent away to Poland for some.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3547

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3548

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3549

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3550
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Ahh an abrafile (sometimes called a piercing saw or file) been a while since I saw one outside my workshop love the idea of using matt black paint instead of the more costly engineers blue
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

The trawler boards are finished as far as I can go until I get the brass rivits to put them together. The wood boards are made of Oak planks glued together, cut to shape and then soaked in Linseed oil.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3551
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Here are my efforts yesterday, the 4 blocks that will take the trawl wires, two on the frame above the winch and two on the A frame above the trawl boards.

This was my first go at silver soldering (think the parraffin blow lamp is a bit big though) but it worked out OK

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3552

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3553

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3554

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3555
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Smile Lovely work Alan
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:01 am

Alan I have been following this build with interest - a really quality model but I was wondering
- you have made and fitted some beautifully made brass parts, are you going to have a weight/stability
problem as most of these parts are fitted above the C of G. I haven't a clue on fishing boat type hulls
as I only build warships which are far more narrow.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:36 pm

I can see your point Geoff, but it is quite a wide/deep hull so there will be a lot of ballast in the bottom of the hull, so it should not be a problem (I hope).

Alan
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

The rivits came from Poland that I needed to put the trawl boards together with, but some silly b****r had ordered the wrong ones, so I had to set too and make them.

So the two trawl boards are now finished,

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3556

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3557

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3558
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I just sit in awe of your metalwork, alan...it really is beautiful..........it would be a shame to paint it all.

it really is stunning.

neil.
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:11 pm

The whole build is just amazingly detailed and a real work of art
Back to top Go down
Footski
Master
Master
Footski

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 am

Superb workmanship cheers
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm

They've said it all Alan "brilliant, amazing, a work of art!" and I have to in all honesty agree with them all.
Back to top Go down
James_H
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:52 am

Jaw-dropping metalwork.

Looks like you could make a decent replica of a Harrison timepiece. It must
save you a fortune not having to buy commercial fittings, and the end result looks
better than anything I've seen for sale.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

It's always really nice to revisit your build Alan

How is it coming along since the otter boards?

Dave
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

So, after playing with fast electric boats and collecting a box full of burnt out ESCs and motors Sad I have got back to some proper modeling and finished the shrimper, although I think it should be called an inshore general fishing boat now.
Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3611

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3612

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3613

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Dscf3614
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 am

OUTSTANDING Craftsmanship Alan Well done. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks Damien cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scratch build of a Shrimper
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4