TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scratch build of a Shrimper

Go down 
+13
intrepid75
Footski
pugwash
phil winks
DickyD
Kleban
Tug--Kenny
Mark
Roadrunner
scalloway41
Ole Vauger
cpt jack sparrow
AlanP
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Here is the winch and frame painted and bolted into position.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3455
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 pm

boy oh boy, alan, that is just beautiful.

neil.
Back to top Go down
intrepid75
Master
Master
intrepid75

PostSubject: Beautiful   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Thats looking absolutely gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I just have to echo what has already been said Alan your doing a proper job there just hope I get a chance one day to see her in the flesh.

I got your email mate and understand fully. I have been working 11 hrs a day for the last couple of weeks hence my being a little conspicous by my abscence
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 pm

The roller has been made and fitted to the top of the transom. The two end supports are made from the brass pins of a 13amp plug top, the rod is a 4mm brazing rod with a 3mm thread put on each end, the rollers I have made from mild steel in the hope that they will get a little rusty. The whole lot is bolted to the stern with 2.5mm nuts and bolts.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3464

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3465
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

superb, alan....

why you want to delve into GRP when you can work so beautifully in timber and brass, gawd only knows, matey.

neil
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Today I have made the A frames that hold the pullys for the trawler boards, they are made out of square section brass, soldered together, just a couple of stiffening fillets to go on to make it look like a proper job, then it can be painted and bolted in position.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3470

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3471
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 pm

absolutely beautiful mate
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Stunning that Alan,I still want one!!!Smile
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 pm

A little bit more done, this time to the wheelhouse roof, two working lights still to go on at the rear and an aerial or two, if I can find the room.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3474

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3475
Back to top Go down
cpt jack sparrow
Gunner
Gunner
cpt jack sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Wow,she looks more and more real every time I see her.Keep up the great work mate I can't wait to see her finished.!!!!Smile
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi

I've just read this thread from start to finish and loved it all - a great build cheers . My favorite bit so far is the caulking of black fablon which really looks great between the lime planking (what glue please?).

Regards Norseman
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:52 pm

she looks absolutely stunning, and really beautiful, Alan.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Just read that post I made - yes it sounds daft that the caulking is what I liked when there was so much more skill to be praised throughout - but I really like the simplicity of the idea and the nice effect.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Norseman as I've said before there are no silly questions on here and I totally agree with your liking of the caulking its a detail that adds much more than the sum of its complexity! (if that makes any sense lol!)

Keep it up Alan she really is a credit to you and as one of the admin/mod team I'm so pleased to see this build on our forum
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the compliments lads, all that brought a tear to my eyes, or it could have been the fumes from super glue Very Happy

There is still quite a lot to do on here, it's all the little bits that seem to take up the time.

Noresman, the fablon has a sticky back, so it sticks to the eges of the planks and then the planks are glued with super glue.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 8:04 pm

It'll be the superglue Alan has that affect on me too lol!
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Time to connect all those lights up, so out with the soldering iron, it looks a mess, well it is a mess realy, but I think it will work. Lighting will be controlled with a 4way latching switcher.

1. Running lights and wheelhouse lights.

2. Green over White trawl lights.

3. Work lights and search light

4. Radar

All the lights come to 0.94 amps

The lights look better than in the photo, something to do with the flash me thinks

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3476

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3477

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3478
Back to top Go down
Tug--Kenny
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Tug--Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Smashing, like the lights cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Right, I'v made a start on the railings for the raised foredeck, they are made out of brazing rod for the upright with brass tube soldered to the top, to allow some aluminium welding rod to run through, where the upright goes into the deck there will be a brass washer, well thats the plan.

First pic shows one ready to be soldered, the second shows three that have been completed.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3480

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3481
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Lovely Alan simply lovely
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Most of the rails finished and sat in position, there is still a railing to go on the Stbd side and then they will be given a coat of etching primer and painted white.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3482

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3483

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3484
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 pm

This boat is just fantastic. Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

One can get a bit fed up of making railings, can't one, nearly as bad as cutting out windows. So I have had a go at making the slave pot hauler.

It's made out of brass tube the main upright swivels on the base. I will paint it so that it looks like galvanised steel tube, it's stuck in position with a bit of blue-tack for now.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3511
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Every thing has been taken off the decks, the decks have been given a light sanding and another coat of sealer applied, then gone over again with 1200 wet and dry and finaly polished, this has produced a nice matt smooth finish.

I have also fitted the stiffener on the inside of the gunwale, the fenders can be hungfrom these.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3512
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Here are all the railings having been etch primed.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3513
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:08 pm

they were too nice to paint, alan.Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 8:08 pm

All the railings have been painted now and fitted, thank goodness for that, just need to get some rust on them now as they look to clean.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3514

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3515
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:23 pm

All the railings have been painted now and fitted, thank goodness for that, just need to get some rust on them now as they look to clean

NO!!! Please don't Alan.............she looks beautiful as she is...........and I'm sure that if a fisherman owned a real boat that looks as georgeous as thet model does, he'd be painting it after every trip to keep her as fresh as she looks.

neil.
Back to top Go down
Norseman
Master
Master
Norseman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:39 pm

If you rust up the railings won't you then have to start weathering down everything else that is so pristine? Lovely work.

Dave
Back to top Go down
HS93
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
HS93

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 9:30 am

Leave as is, even painting some brass fittings you loose all the detail, make it a ship Yard model.

very nice by the way

Peter
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm

OK, OK, three against one, NO RUST it is

Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm

good choice matey. neil.
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 am

Great work Alan I have just been catching up on the thread - it really does
look excellent - agree with the others about no rust.
By the way where did you get the etching paint - all the ones available at the local car accessory
shop are suitable for all metals and hard plastic but not brass.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for all the comments lads.

Geoff. The etching prima U-POL ACID #8 is from Halfords at £12. 49 quite expensive, but it does last quite a while if you are only using it for metal, it has a shelf life of two years.

The U_POL tech data sheet does not state brass, but on the Halfords question and answere site, the brass question was asked and the answere was yes.

I have used it for several years on brass and it has been fine.

It is quite a thick paint so it needs a good shake before use, and if you need to keep fine detail put the can in some hot water before use, this will give a finer spray.

Alan
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Thought I would have a go at the pot hauler block today as it was too wet to dig at the allotments, the first one ended up in the bin, then spent an hour or two taking two printers and a scanner to bits.

Then I had another go at the block, the first pic shows the bits and the others show it painted and in position.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3516

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3517

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3518
Back to top Go down
pugwash
Midshipman
Midshipman

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for the info Alan.

Geoff
Back to top Go down
http://geoffreyhobson@talktalk.co.uk
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Today I have made the trawling cones, the top one can be raised and lowered through a pully and then tied off at the bottom of the mast.

This will be the last post for a week or so as in the morning we are going to Hull, we have been married for 45 years, met and married in Hull, so I am taking her back to the shop to see if I can trade her in for a newer one Very Happy

Hope she doesnt read this, us old un's know how to live on the edge Very Happy

Alan

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3519

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3520
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Sweet really sweet mate just love the attention to detail enjoy your trip to hull and looking forward to your next post after your return
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Back from my nostalgic trip to hull taking in Beverly, Bridlington, Hornsea and Withernsea, forgot how cold the east coast is, I digress, today I have made and fitted two working mushroom vents and a whip aerial .

There are quite a lot of lights in the wheelhouse so the vents will help to get rid of some of the heat

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3521

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3522
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:02 pm

that looks stunningly fabulous Alan.......brilliant build.

neil.
Back to top Go down
phil winks
Master
Master
phil winks

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 pm

This just gets better and better Alan

Well done that man Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Which museum is this fabulous build going in Alan?
A wonderful model you have created a real credit to your abilities.

Damien.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm

If I ever get it finished it will be going in the water Damien. Keep putting off making all the blocks for the rigging, seem to always find other things to make Very Happy

Alan
Back to top Go down
tattooed
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
tattooed

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 pm

fantasic build Alan do you make the shackles or do you buy them ?
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Not found a way of making them yet, so I have to part with money to Model Timbers Sad

Alan
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 pm

After repairing the wind damage at the allotments, a bit of boat building was in order, so putting off the rigging blocks yet again I have had a go at the pot hauling gear. I think I will paint the back plate to look like galvo steel and leave the rest as it is.
So tomorrow all being well it will be painted and fitted to the wheelhouse.

Alan

url=https://servimg.com/view/15032957/276]Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3524[/url][/font][/size]

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3525
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Pot hauler gear put together, painted and bolted in place, might have to mucky up that Orange rope a bit.

Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Dscf3526
Back to top Go down
scalloway41
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
scalloway41

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

looking real smart now. excellent build. wish I had half your skills.
just a suggestion you might like to think about or maybe not.
on a lot of the small boats that work pots or kreels back home in the Shetland Isles they would fit a steering wheel and a throttle/gear control outside the wheelhouse near the hauler so they could steer and operate the boat from outside. this saves them having to go into the wheelhouse with wet oilskins on too.
Back to top Go down
AlanP
Master
Master
AlanP

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for that Scalloway, that was the original plan but due to the layout of the boat it has not been practical, the external wheel should have gone where I have had to put the pot hauler gear, hay ho.

So we will say that the skipper is quite well off and has hired an extra deck hand so he can stop in the wheel house Smile

Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scratch build of a Shrimper   Scratch build of a Shrimper - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scratch build of a Shrimper
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next