TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat

Go down 
+10
Beyno1968
Ramsey
Just add water
barriew
davidjt
Roadrunner
battleshipbuff
zetec
troutrunner
gribeauval
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Empty
PostSubject: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Next build on the slip is a 1/12th scale model of the Rhyl Mersey Class for my North Wales client.

I have a grp Mersey hull in the back of my workshop so I dug it out and looked it over. It looked to be ideal for the build, but after a few weeks of looking at it and checking I decided that it wasn't up to the standard, in both finish and dimensional accuracy, that I wanted so............. scratch build was decided upon.

The files with the Mersey drawings were opened and the lines for the hull were printed at 1/12th scale along with 21 copies of the body lines and stuck onto the "work in progress" pin board.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-001_zpsouhhpdmr

The pattern for the keel made, ready to transfer to the ply.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-002_zpssajcu9vm

A construction board was prepared with the centre line and the 21 hull stations marked. Brackets to keep the keel in position (and straight !!) were also fixed in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-003_zpsjyqjc8l0

The keel was cut out, ruffle holes drilled, set up on the board and checked that it was square to the surface in all directions as any deviation at this stage results in a banana boat not a lifeboat!!

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-004_zpsjbaxad1d

I have also made a jig for fitting the frames. This has the top edge at the level of the designed waterline as shown on the drawings from the underside of the keel. It is also kept vertical using the same brackets as for the keel. Each of the patterns for the stations has this designed waterline marked on them so that they can all be set at the correct hight.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-005_zpsn9gaqmzv

This stage of the build will take a little time so bear with me and it will also fit with the Severn build that will be going to Cornwall Thumbup.

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one, I'm picking up tips already 2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Here are the results of three days work (started building on Monday) showing the frame jig in operation.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-006_zpsexfzojde

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-007_zpsnmpbtq6r

The spaces between the solid front frames will be filled with blocks of urethane foam before planking to provide reserve buoyancy.

Six frames down. only fifteen left to go !!

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 2:50 pm

Finally fitted the last frame in place and added the urethane foam blocks at the stern.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-008_zpskwdjq7wg

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-009_zpsb4f197qb

Bow section blocks to be added next (after my holiday!!) then planking can be started.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 am

Looking might fine so far Mike.   2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Short holiday over so it's back to building again!!

The stern blocks have been sanded to final shape, the bow blocks added and shaped as well and the hull is now ready to plank.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-010_zpsqt9q5jbp

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-011_zpsrt98jmxb

The top of the deck beams has been checked for 'fairness' with a large flexible rule and it touches at every point giving the gracefull reflex curve of a Mersey deck from stern to bow. Thumbup 

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-012_zpsduf11th1

Finally a view along the prop tunnels and they look OK as well.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-013_zpsernquu9w

I can now prepare the first layer of planks and start adding them over the weekend as well as mark out the location of the access holes in the deck so that the coamings can also be fitted.

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 pm

The position of the superstructure has been plotted, extra deck reinforcing beams added and the centre sections removed to give me access to the interior of the hull.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-014_zpsuamir5hw

The removed beam sections have not gone to waste !!  They have been used to stiffen up the side decks.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-015_zpsknvuaomu

decks and coaming next on the agenda. Thumbup 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 8:50 pm

OMG Mike, that looks b****y complicated matey...............but absolutely straight as a die............you are a master...........and something I would never attempt unless I were going to cover it in filler after planking and mould in grp, lol..........saw your comment on the other side about grp, and after that attempt with the Thames........think I'm loosing my touch on even grp........think its on to kits after this, unless there is a renaissance with my technique lol.

the Mersey looks superb.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 pm

It only looks complicated Neil, there is just a lot of frames, and even this will need some filler in places to sort out the first layer of planking

Most people who build hulls from RNLI GA drawings only have at most six or seven sections to work with, however I have a full set of lines with twenty one frames in the body plan for the Mersey so I decided to use them all for a change. One thing many people never check is the ACTUAL SCALE of the drawing they are using, having spent several years in my youth as a design draughtsman (used to design heat recovery systems in power stations) I always check the full size dimensions against the supposed scale of the drawings. I have one GA drawing from the RNLI for the Mersey that is nominally 1/20th scale, when you check the dimensions it is a 1/19th scale drawing because when they are printed the paper can stretch or shrink. That's why many drawings say in big letters DO NOT SCALE on them, this means don't just measure the size of a part from the paper use the dimensions written down on the drawing.

In this example if you measure a part as being 47mm long then using the scale written on the drawing, 1/20th,

in 1/12th scale it would be 47x20 divided by 12 = 78.33

However in 1/12th scale it should be 47x19 divided by 12 = 74.42.

Just over 3/16th inch different, so it doesan't take many such errors to screw up the build.

Also I have to endure someone else's interpretation of what shape the hull should be and in many cases it doesn't give me what I know to be correct. So if I have to correct a cock up in a boat I find it better to correct my own mistakes and building in wood makes it a little bit easier, still a frustrating pain in the backside but then I can't blame somebody else and build to a lower standard. It's also the main reason I don't often build kits as I end up making most of the parts again myself.

Maths lesson and rant over!!! lol!

The thing about using grp hulls is that they can move, twist or shrink if not used straight away as you know yourself and unless you can control every part of the process bad things occasionaly happen, but you will get over it and make good hulls again !

Plus my long suffering wife is a chronic asthmatic so the smells, even with water based paint, are a real problem.

Mike

Back to top Go down
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:16 am

Hi I agree the plans can be out on the new Shannon plans if you scale between the perpendiculars and convert to full scale you get 11.250m on the plan the RNLI says 11.6m. Also they show a section with 1000mm at a scale of 1 to 25 should be 40mm I get 38.5mm.

Cheers John

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm

All the glued frame components have now fully cured so the deck was next to be fitted.

This was glued in place in five sections (two at the bow, one at the stern and the two side decks) to accomodate both the sheer and camber of the Mersey deck. The slot at the bow for the recovery strop will be cut out later.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-016_zps67cf1de8

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-017_zpsbvl9fhyp

When these had been fitted the main coaming was added. This was made from 1.5mm thick material as it has to fit between the two skins of the superstructure as there is to be a fully detailed interior fitted. This is the method I first used on the Tyne class lifeboat RFA Sir Galahad.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-018_zps0sumva5o

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Planking has commenced!!

The first layer is being done with a combination of thin and wide planks and after sanding and adding reinforcing on the inside will allow the final shape to be corrected in parts with filler.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-019_zpsoaa0rban

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-020_zpsrzrjrjmm

This stern view shows the sweep of the tunnels into the rest of the hull.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-021_zpsmynq3cwg

The second layer will be fitted with much closer joints. lol!

Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 2:31 am

Another day,another build! A pleasure to watch,and hopefully learn,from anything you share with us Mike!
Cheers,
Mick

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Finally finished fitting the planks onto the hull framework. The inside has been given a coat of resin to harden up the planks and ensure that they are firmly fixed to each other.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-022_zpsctcgljez

When the resin had cured fully the whole of the outside was covered with ordinary filler and now looks like an iceberg! Over 95% of this will be sanded off just leaving it in the hollows and the small gaps. This surface will then be coated with sanding sealer and lightweight aircraft tissue ready for painting.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-023_zpsbya5jodn

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 6:07 pm

nice to see someone about to work hard.....get to it mike.............no time to waste. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Just spent the last two days covered in white powder and looking like a snowman whilst sanding the filler back off the hull !!

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-024_zpsirghttez

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-025_zps1l6c9ids

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-026_zpscas2ofzr

The hull now looks like a Mersey and not an iceberg. Also the bilge keels have been cut, shaped, bonded in place and faired into the rest of the hull. As you can see the stand for the boat has also been built.

I can now add the top layer of tissue and dope, plus more sanding, then start to add the main structural details onto the hull, also need to cut the recovery stop channel on the bow deck.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 am

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 11:21 am

Top  Notch  2thumbsup

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Whilst waiting for the resin on the outside of the hull to harden off I made some of the hull bits.

The twin rudders have been fabricated.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-027_zpsxvfo3vbo

along with the reinforcing frame for the end of the tunnels.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-028_zpsydxr92fu

The frame has been fitted onto the stern and faired in to the tunnels and the rudder tubes glued in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-029_zpstd3hpwkj

The prop shafts have also been fitted into the hull. The discs are to enable accurate positioning.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-030_zpspy3asem8

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:59 pm

just brilliant mike. a superb eye for detailing.ThumbupThumbupThumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 12:26 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:19 pm

A major cock up has occured with the outer skinning of the hull. In places the resin matting has refused to bond to the hull properly or refused to set. This may cause problems with the final finish later down the line so after trying to solve the problem for several days I have decided to switch to Plan B!!

This means that the grp hull I have is in for a major remodelling job, sort of a face lift and nose job combined with botox!!!

Inside the hull the keel space at the bow and strern has been filled with resin to allow the outside to be reshaped with the big power sanders.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-031_zpsmlamviv1

The sheer proflie has also been altered as the new decking has been added.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-032_zpsmcf5bw7k

The stern has also been improved with the sanders and the positions for the exhausts and ram boxes plotted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-033_zpsvvibijim

The shafts and rudder blocks are now bonded in place in this hull.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-034_zpsipowpzfm

New motor mount is under construction.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-035_zpsvv1jybag

I have also solved the problem of making the recesses for the exhausts that are moulded into the stern, during a visit to a local pound Shop this morning, in the shape of plastic shot glasses!! The base of these are the correct diameter for the recesses. So a section was cut off the lower end of the glass.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-036_zps7e4lv5vg

Stryrene discs were cut and glued to the section. These are where the bolts that hold the pipe in place are fitted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-037_zps0w1valks

34mm diameter holes were cut into the stern with a stepped cone drill.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-038_zpsypxhnaki

The new recesses bonded and sealed in place, after sanding flush the exhausts themselves can be added.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-039_zpsrzwhkihq

Next on the agenda will be the reinforcing for the end of the tunnels and the ram boxes.

Can now relax at the Blackpool Boat Show tomorrow, talk Lifeboats with old friends and pick up more supplies for the build. Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:59 pm

I hate it when things like that go wrong.

rob baines and the plans were supposed to arrive back in Fleetwood late this afternoon but haven't heard from him yet, but if he does I'll collect tonight and drop them off to you tomorrow. neil......what time will you be there.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 7:03 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I hate it when things like that go wrong.

rob baines and the plans were supposed to arrive back in Fleetwood late this afternoon but haven't heard from him yet, but if he does I'll collect tonight and drop them off to you tomorrow. neil......what time will you be there.

Will be there about 11:30 ish on Saturday as the train arrives at 11:10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 pm

I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM mIKE, SO WILL PICK THEM UP OVER THE WEEKEND AND SEND THEM TOO YOU MYSELF AT YOUR HOME...........last time I lend them to someone.sorry mate. neil.
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Finally finished the major mods to the grp hull !!

At the bow end the forefoot has been slimmed down, the ruffle holes opened up and the recovery strop groove made. This was done by inserting a styrene channel faired into the stem and it was also continued into the deck to pass the strops under the bow fitting.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-040_zpsywi39ybx

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-041_zpsnwxwghns

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-042_zps0f0259uj

The hull now has the correct profile.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-043_zpsjpbbfeij

The kink in the keel has been removed by the addition of a straight section on top of the existing keel and adding filler where needed plus sanding back as required. The stern ruffle holes have been done and the bilge keels fitted onto the hull.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-044_zpsvqnkqbho

On the transom the new tunnel edge frame is in place and the ram recesses inserted and sealed in place. The rest of the deck has also been fixed in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-045_zpsx8whvnid

Whilst waiting for a break in the weather to allow the spraying of the filler coats I have made the trim tabs ready to fit later.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-046_zps1ik7wed7

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 pm

With all the rain over the last few days no spraying of filler coats has been possible so it has been on with the wheelhouse!

First on the agenda is the rear wall as this needs to be strong enough to support the mast structure. Styrene was chosen as when used with solvent cement a solid stucture can be produced.

Back wall cut out and intake boxes etc made.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-047_zpsh7ywxnmd

A second wall was cut out but with an extension down to the floor level within the wheelhouse as a full interior is to be fitted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-048_zpsk1jodc69

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-049_zpsfugh2gqo

This interior wall was fitted onto the first wall but with spacers to allow the unit to fit over the coaming.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-050_zpsi3zs1tsx

Finally for now the angled wall for the door fitting has been cut out and welded in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-051_zps2ou4ulla

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 9:17 pm

The basic panels for the upper steering position have been cut, fitted and faired into the rear wall along with the access step and the stand for the throttles.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-052_zpsmvwzzr5j

The main door has been fabricated from styrene sheet and parts from a commercial door casting.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-053_zps9y5g23cy

The door is hinged and fully operational.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-054_zpsbnfgnsbq

The main outer panels for the rest of the wheelhouse have been cut ready for sorting and fitting.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-055_zpsa4gdjrqa

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 pm

The side walls have been marked up for the vents etc, the window openings cut out and the inner walls cut and fitted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-056_zpsczbdsw2p

The two walls are separated by a spacer to allow the coaming to fit between the two skins.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-057_zpsza8siflo

The two wall sandwiches fitted onto the back wall and floor plate.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-058_zpsguphsgru

The two vents on the upper steering position have been made and fitted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-059_zps3ndsirrr

Inside the fitting out has been started and the access ladder made and fixed in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-060_zpsjlcqgzok

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 pm

comeing along nicely my son. what are the two fittings on the lockers either side on the wings.

neil.

Last edited by nhp651 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:51 pm

nhp651 wrote:
comeing along nicely my son. what are the two fottings on the lockers either side on the wings.

neil.

They are a pair of air vents into the wheelhouse. They aren't sitting on lockers, they are air vents to the interior tank and rudder spaces. Thumbup

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 pm

cheers matey............had no idea....but am learning fast.ThumbupThumbup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 5:16 pm

The holes in the sides of the wheelhouse that take the fuel fillers, main air intakes and vents have been cut out on both sides and the appropriate fittings made and fixed in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-061_zpsloiutira

The main air intakes for the inside of the wheelhouse have been constructed from sheet styrene.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-062_zpsqkyinlay

Intakes fitted in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-063_zpserueypkk

The rear bench seat and the tables have been cut and fitted in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-064_zps268e4mca

On the front of the hull the rest of the superstructure has been made and fitted in place ready for detailing.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-065_zpsrck441gz

The large cut out on the port side is where the fire hydrant if fitted.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-066_zpskxqre3b6

The removable main section now slots in behind the fixed portion.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-067_zps4h4iwgjw

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm glad I got rid of my moulds at the Blackpool show....................I would never ever have been able to follow this one Mike...............

think I'll stick to my old double enders, lol.

Truly superb modelling matey.

neil.

By the way, did you ever finish the Trent for Fastcat......never saw that one finished.
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Nice work, what is the material it is all made from, is it expensive and is it easy to work with Question

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I'm glad I got rid of my moulds at the Blackpool show....................I would never ever have been able to follow this one Mike...............

think I'll stick to my old double enders, lol.

Truly superb modelling matey.

neil.

By the way, did you ever finish the Trent for Fastcat......never saw that one finished.

I prefer the old boats myself, but needs must when the devil drives!!

Not quite finished the Trent, that's the one you keep seeing in the background of the mersey pictures.!!

troutrunner wrote:
Nice work, what is the material it is all made from, is it expensive and is it easy to work with Question

The hull is grp and the rest is plain ordinary styrene sheet !

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 11:37 pm

I have never seen styrene in the flesh and no nothing of how hard or easy it is to work with, It was a genuine question.............

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 11:11 am

troutrunner wrote:
I have never seen styrene in the flesh and no nothing of how hard or easy it is to work with, It was a genuine question.............

Styrene sheet is also called Plasticard and High Impact Polystyrene and is the same stuff that Airfix, Revell etc kits are made from. Many model shops sell it in A4 size sheets in several thicknesses as well as strips, rods and tubes etc under the Plastruct brand.

It works as easily (or as difficult , it depends on your point of view!) as wood. The 'glue' is liquid solvent cement applied to the joints with a small paint brush and capilliary action runs it along the joint or the stuff in tubes for kits and it literally "welds" the styrene into one solid piece by melting their surfaces together then setting just as in welding steel.

Cutting involves light scoring (several times with the thicker sheets) along the marked out parts lines then bending it to snap the cut through. It can be sanded, filed and drilled as needed with standard tools.

Its other big advantage is that it needs no major surface preparation, unlike wood, apart from a light sanding followed by the usual primers and topcoats.

Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks very much for your explanation, very instructive, I might well get some to play around with just to see for myself how it works. 2thumbsup

Just a thought, might help others who haven't a clue like me, to put this basic info in the "Technical" section Thumbup

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Not many pictures today for a full day's building !!

The front window panels for the wheelhouse have been cut to size (there are no right angles on any of the panels!!) , the openings for the windows done and, along with the infill panels that butt up to the front superstructure, fitted in place.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-068_zpsgehzaiqv

The main part of the day has been taken up with the building of the central front panel and the door that, on the full size boat, leads into the engine room.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-069_zpsjzsbhrsk

Finally the panel has been fixed in place and makes the front of the wheelhouse a lot more rigid!

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-070_zpssw6kepi3

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 3:27 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Been busy with non modelling activities today but still found time to make a couple of the most important parts of a lifeboat, without which the crew could not function at 100%.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-071_zpsnkeve5q5

:
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

It becomes more obvious when you rotate the cylinder through 180 degrees and add the detail parts to the 'block'.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-072_zpsfzngloeh

Yes it's the water boiler and cup holders that are positioned just inside the wheelhouse door on the Port side. A friend of mine who is a full time RNLI Station Mechanic told me his first action upon entering the wheelhouse to go and start the engines for a shout is to ensure that the boiler in on or mutiny will follow !!!!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 3:01 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 2:04 pm

The holder is now in place, as well as the shelf above it for the boiler.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-073_zpsgjov7lwf

On the forward part of the superstructure the large access panels, that on the full size boat allow the engines to be removed, have been fitted in place and the hatches plotted and cut out.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-074_zpsygf9lyyo

The interiors of the rope lockers have also been made and fitted in place under the hatch openings. The front hatch on the full size boat allows access to the forward survivors cabin.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-075_zpsaxmlsaqr

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-076_zpsnprjhfbp

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm

A little further along with the build.

The three hatches for the foredeck have been constructed ready to fit after painting is complete.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-077_zpsstnfhu7v

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-078_zpsgjdoziry

The catches that hold them in the open position have also been made using styrene and part of the hinge section from a OO railway coupling as the hook, another example of lateral thinking!!

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-079_zps0r18djsw

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-080_zpsz6prooh8

The two consoles for either side of the central door have been constructed and fitted into the cabin.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-081_zpsmrgbhvnh

I have also made the two seat bases that are used for equipment storage to be fitted later.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-082_zps8lwvt46a

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:03 pm

looking better and better matey. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Cheers guys, I am pleased with the way it is turning out so far.

The sun shone this morning raising the temperature by a few degrees, the rain did not start, but most importantly the wind was non existant so I managed to get a couple of coats of spray filler/primer on the hull this morning.This has allowed me to find all the tiny pin holes and scratches on the hull and fill them with some very fine surface filler. The whole hull will now be sanded down in a couple of days when the filler is fully hard and then the process repeated before adding the normal primers (2 coats) and colours (3 coats).

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-083_zpsqaaka8hy

Back to top Go down
gribeauval
Master
Master
gribeauval

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Two more of the air intake trunkings have been made and fitted to the port and starboard sides of the wheelhouse interior.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-084_zps9fthvpx4

The big ship boring worm has sruck again on the stern deck!!

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-085_zpsv6h9rktw

Luckily the 50mm speaker for the sound system was a perfect fit.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-086_zps5gw7kkcj

Between bouts of rain and gale force winds I have managed to paint the hull at last, just the gloss varnish coats left to do.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-087_zpsxiqva9iw

The rivet detail on the engine covers has also been done.

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull-088_zpsgknifxoa

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 9:22 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat   Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhyl Mersey Class Lifeboat
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next