TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm

today, I continued to ready the static boat for laying on the end boxes...…..

I sanded the wooded support beading and glued the stern box in place using 30 minute epoxy.

the bow section was readied in the same way, sanding a chamfer onto the wooden beading, but before the top was glued in place, I made the covers for the bulkhead, using 1.0 mm mahogany faced ply wood onto which I drew the "boarding" and two locker doors onto the timber to simulate the locker boxes set into the fo'csle for rope storage.

once this was done, I glued the top on and held with masking tape till set. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3149

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3150

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3151

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3152

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3153

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3154

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3155
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 pm

well, that was easy.....

the end boxes on the static boat glued on easily and just need a little filling on the joints between hull and boxes. I just hope the ones on the self righting boat go as easily as they have been raised by about an inch or so...……….

but all that will have top wait until Wednesday, as got some phone calls to make tomorrow, plus empty my daughters car of all things in there as it is going for sale as she can't have it at university for the first year............and god knows what I'm going to find in it...…….

if however its raining, I don't fancy working in the rain and may be back to it by afternoon.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3157

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3156

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3158

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3159

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3160
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 pm

the static boat with the low end boxes has come out well now that the tops have been glued on...……...not so much filler needed on these end boxes, and this will be added tomorrow.

the motor sailor though, was different...…….
the uprights needed more packing than I first thought, but the stern end box needed more.

also I needed to fix into the stern, the rudder servo.

I found a mounting box for the servo, and added some packing to the base of the box to raise the servo arm to the height of the rudder linkage bar that I have already set into the stern port side.

the servo box was then glued into the base plate in the stern, already added at the start of the build.

then two support beams were added port and starboard of the servo to support the surrounds to an access hatch for the servo, which will be cut and fitted later.

the end box top was then glued on to the stern, using 2 part epoxy for grp to wooden edges, and aliphatic resin wood to wood.

it has now been left overnight before getting Joan Collins foundation out [ polyester filler] IN LARGE AMOUNTS...…. and filling the gaps on both boats, both ends, lol..

might take the new tin I've bought, lol. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3161

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3163

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3162

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3164

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3165

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3166

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3167

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3168

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3169
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm

today has been spent filling the gap between the sub deck and the bulwarks, filling the end boxes of both boats,
and then readying the insides of the bulwarks with an overlay of 1.5mm ply that has been marked in pencil with diagonal plank lines, that simulate the inside layer of planking of all the old double diagonal planked lifeboats, up until the Corten steel hulls of the Solent class lifeboats.
these sheets of marked ply will be stained with mahogany varnish this evening ready for fitting sometime tomorrow

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3170

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3171

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3172

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3174

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3173

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3211

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3212

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3213

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3215

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3214

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3216
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 pm

and yet another cock up...……..small one but still a cock up...…..

I bought some Colron a while ago for some staining on the Calmac ferry I built 2 - 3 years ago, and have not used it since. my original can which I had had for "years" was a lovely watery consistency which went on with a rag and spread nicely.....

I took this can, gave it a quick shake and applied to a rag, and proceeded to wipe over the "planked" pieces of ply.........it went on like custard, didn't spread at all easily, and obliterated the lined planking that I drew this afternoon...….so I have had to go over all planking lines with a black fine line draughtsman's pen, that I have in my collection...…..

I'll try watering the dye down tomorrow, but workshop is now closed and locked up for the night. if not i'll go and buy a small put of dye/varnish from the local DIY store.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3217
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 10:48 pm

this afternoon I put on the port side inner simulated diagonal planking . 

to mate the planking up at the top which is seen above the side benches, the planking at the bottom of the bulwarks sometimes doesn't line up...…...but this is hidden by both the benches and the self floating buoyancy boxes, which will be made from white plasticard at a later date.

to trim the side "walling" I used my old method.....cut the end off a sharpened pencil, flatten one of the hexagonal sides to leave the pencil tip about a millimetre above the flat surface and using the deck as the surface template run the pencil along the piece of printed ply....sand off the edge to the pencil line which is parallel to the deck, and if need be repeat the process until you have one continuous lie along the plate....and sand down to get an exact copy of the decks sheer......

repeat with the next plate until all bulwarks are covered...….simples. I glued the plates to the bulwarks using 2 part 30 minute setting epoxy.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3219

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3218

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3220

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3222

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3221

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3223

Last edited by nhp651 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm

the plank simulated facings have been added to all end boxes now, and the upper capping to the bulwarks have been added to the motor sailor...……..

the static boat will have her cappings added tomorrow.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3228

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3229

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3227

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3226

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3225

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3230

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3232
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 pm

one set of bulwark cappings now glued on, and the other boat's cappings have been glued and clamped up.....

will take the clamps off tomorrow.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3236

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3234

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3235

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3237
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 5:50 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 3:26 pm

had a couple of weeks off, with the boats...…...things to do before the blackpool show and then having a bit of time out afterwards, but got back down to it this afternoon by cutting fitting and scarfing in the deck edging boards from my mahogany veneer. the first to have the detailing was the pulling/sailing static boat,...…………

but this now needs the king plank down the centre of the boat to be fitted...…

but I cannot do this yet because I will have to cut and fit dummy keel boxes [two on this boat] which lie on the centre line of the deck.
and so I will bring the motor sailor up to full speck on the edging planks [ as it already has the keel box fitted], and then go back to the sailor once done with the motor sailor. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0952

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0953

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0954

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0955
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 8:59 pm

then came the engine cover for the motor sailor...…

first the baseplate was glued onop the removeable hatch.

then the 3 vertical end and middle frames were measured cut and glued in place,

finally the low sides and top were measured, cut and glued in place, using the best Posties elastic bands to hold in place till the aliphatic resin glue sets. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3312

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3314

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3313

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3315

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3316

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3317
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Looking good Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 11:55 pm

engine room cover now almost ready for sanding down and titivating up, ready for the shutters, hinges et al........

.but before that, have to make the gear box cover. which attaches to the rear of the engine room cover

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0956

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3318
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 3:09 am

on a roll tonight so did a little more...…….the cover for the drop keel box made, the hatch cover for the steering servo has been cut, but yet to be fitted, and the gear box cover made with a removeable top......this is to facilitate a waterproof switch to turn on the electronics under the deck which will be sealed for the Windermere run next summer.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3319

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3321

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3320

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3322

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3323
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm

MESSY WORK, …..well, I got down to the planking of the motor sailor today...…...and boy does it look messy.................but that is the start of turning an ugly duckling into a swan.
I enjoy planking...[ but not talking about plank on frame hulls...…...absolutely crap with that]…..it gives great satisfaction.
I have used various methods over the years to simulate the caulking in between planks....black cotton, black card, even using a black felt pen to ink the plank edges...…….but found a way by accident one day by doing a small job on the roof of the wheelhouse of a steam trawler.
Always prepare a goodly bundle of planks of equal width and length.
then, mark out the deck with the length of the plank, repeated from bow to stern.
once these markings have been drawn on the deck, split the space between those marks by 3, or in smaller scales, 4........these markings allow the overlap per plank to the next one beside it......and the pattern is repeated every 3rd or 4th plank, giving a staggered pattern thus giving longitudinal; strength to the deck......just the same as plating on a hull...…..planks and plates always overlap each other, depending on how long the plates/planks are. and ALWAYS start from one end, be it from bow or stern, but not from both ends,
So!!, how do I simulate the black caulking on my decks..
I take some aliphatic quick grab glue, put it in an old margarine tub, and simply add some Parker fountain pen black ink...…..mix thoroughly, and then either paint each plank or the deck...…...the glue dries black and hey ho, instant black caulking...
it looks very messy, but after a scaping with a swann Morton no.2 craft blade to get the thicker stains off, get cracking with the sander and 120 grit, and tomorrow we'll see what it looks like...….never failed yet.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3324

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3325

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3326

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3327

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3328

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3329

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3330

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3332

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3331

and the last bit for last night......the rear end box hatch has been made to fit into the hole for access to the steering servo...…..it beds into a recess with support......and hopefully with the aid of some sealant on the day, June 27th, 2020 she will make the trip down …...or up Windermere without any ingress of water...….well that's the theory, lol.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3333

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3334
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 1:51 pm

work goes on, and now its the turn of the sailing static boat...… but the first thing I notice is...............
i'm a total Richard cranium...…..for even though I marked up the positions of the mast tabernacles on the side walls of the lifeboat...and the positions of the deck reinforcing…….I covered them up with the simulated diagonal planking...…..duurrrrr.
so before I even lay a plank I have to re plan, measure from the motor sailor that I have just planked and then transfer the measurements to the sailor, hoping that the positions of the under deck reinforcement is the same!
but in the meantime I have marked out the deck for taking the 3 plank overlap.
SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3335

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3336
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm

the dummy keel boxes have been glued in place...………...they had to be shaped to fit the sheer of the deck. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3337

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3339

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3338

and then....king plank has been laid....…..

usually the king plank is a little wider than all the others...…...in this case 10mm as opposed to the 8mm wide deck planks....

let planking begin…...again.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3340
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 pm

planking now complete...

over the next couple of days I'll sand them clean and then stain them mahogany colour.

if anyone had never done it, but fancies a try...….the only tip I can give is to start from the king plank and work your way outwards to the bulkhead. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3341

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3342

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3410
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 am

and the deck of the sailing lifeboat now cleaned up, ready for a light sanding tomorrow...…..

the "caulking" lines can clearly but sublimely be seen now. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3411

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3412
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 pm

both decks now been cleaned up, ready for sanding smooth and flat before varnishing. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3414

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3413

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3415

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3416
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 5:49 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 pm

next was to make the removeable lid for the keel box, and incorporate the uphaul pulley and the means for anchoring the top to the box surrounds....

this was done by cutting a slice of obeche wrapped in 1;32 ply and gluing under the top so that the new piece when glued to the top slid into the keel box main opening and kept the top I place. a slot was cut unto the top for a brass pulley wand then slid into place.

………..measurements were spot on and the top fits correctly with a nice tight fit, but available to be removed should anything go wrong with the brass drop keel. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0957

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0959

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0958

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0960

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0962

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0961
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Another feature, as small as they are, the towing bollards at the stern of the boat....
Another feature, as small as they are the towing bollards at the stern of the boat.... I have made templates in card, ready for cutting out of obeche timber....
so rather than mess about trying blocks of wood to eventually fit [ where they touch, usually in my case] I have made templates in card, ready for cutting out of obeche timber..

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0963

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0964

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_0965
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 am

this evening I cut shaped and dry fitted the stern towing bollards and the bow veering bollard for both boats.

they will need slight shaping to finish before final fitting.

I also cut a facing plate to go around the keel pulley wheel, and glued in place as a small bit of detailing.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3419

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3417

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3418

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3420

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3421
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 5:34 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Looking good Neil  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm

the keel box tops have been added to the sailor lifeboat, along with the rollers...….two drop keels on the sailor. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3422

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3423

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3424
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 pm

STICKY FINGERS!!!...…..NO, I'm not talking about the brilliant Rolling stones LP, but my fingers after making 48 bench support frames.....some I made from the oil soaked mahogany which I ended up gluing with cyano acrylate for speed, and the others I made from basswood...similar to sycamore.
I can now sand the deck and then fit these to both boats before I stain and varnish all wooden parts made up to now.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3426

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3425

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3427
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm

think I made too many...……… I only need ten per side...….made 12 …….....oh well...…..covers breakages, lol. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3429

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3428
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2019 2:25 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 8:15 pm

they have now been added to the motor sailor this afternoon and glued with aliphatic resin wood to wood.
the sailing lifeboat will be done tonight.
before I did position them, exactly 51mm apart...…..more good luck than management, I sanded the deck planking to get it level.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3430

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3431

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3432
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm

and the pulling/sailing lifeboat has now had the bench seat supports fitted.
I can now stain both boat decks mahogany, and then seal the timber parts with cellulose sanding sealer, before varnishing with some yacht varnish.
then on to the next part of the deck fit out on each boat.but that's for the weekend.
i'll tell you more then...……..
but I would like to know before I do......…..as this is going to sail on some rough water next summer...…...what would have the most buoyancy …….a block of light obeche or a hollow box made from plasticard, ….say...... 45 x 30 x 25mm

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3433

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3434

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3435
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Box made out of plasticard I would imagine

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 pm

oh you are the bringer of joyous news Dave,  lol! lol! 

only 22 of the things to make then, lol...…….i'll just make them for the static boat out of timber...………...they are the buoyancy cases that go under the bench seats on the deck,,,,,,may as well give the model a chance to float, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 am

the long and tedious job of cutting 120 pieces of plasticard for the flotation boxes has now started......….6 pieces per box x 20 boxes to go under the benches, 

all to be eventually sprayed white and numbered port and starboard. and then glued to the deck...……......

just one more little step to keep the sodding thing from sinking on Windermere.

gawd my arthritic fingers are hurting though, I need a beer.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3436

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3437

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3438
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 pm

All 20 plus one flotation boxes have been constructed from plasticard, [robbed with permission from the skip at Adrian Gosling's establishment last time I was down at the guru's works]......I cut them to size and glued together this evening, but left the tops off so that I could sand the ends level, before adding them.
I haven't gone down the road of lining and sealing the insides with a layer of calico,like the real boxes are sealed lol.....thought that was a step too far....
I'll sand the ends this evening whilst having a nice bottle of Barossa valley cabernet, and glue the tops on........but as my usual incompetence I'm two tops missing...….can't count right. And after a few slurps of nice red, I can't guarantee the tops will go o straight either, lol
I was also up in the area this afternoon surveying the scene of our downfall in June [ I hope not]......although a nice breeze which will suit my motor sailor under canvas......the lake was nice and calm, which encouraged me into thinking I might have made the right choice in models for a change..

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3439

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3440

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3441
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 am

tops to the buoyancy boxes now glued on and trimmed up ready for sanding. now put on and trimmed up ready for sanding and then spraying white. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3442

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3443
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm

sanded all the boxes smooth this afternoon, and then sticking them to some card with masking tape I first sprayed them with filler spray, and then appliance white...…….both Halfords best rattle can sprays......

i'll leave them now to cure and harden over night.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3444

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3445

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3446

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3447

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3448
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 pm

its so much easier to make buoyancy boxes out of obeche….took minutes to do instead of 6 hours or so making them from plastic...….

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3512

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3510

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3511
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 2:45 pm

and then it was down to making a purpose fit propeller tube and shaft.
I drilled and turned two bearings for the shaft and inserted them into the tube, cut to length, and then glued into place using 30 minute setting two part epoxy.
just one problem, and this time not actually a mistake on my part, just an under calculation, but the prop I bought from Propshop at Blackpool doesn't have enough clearance at the top of the keelson aperture……...so once the prop tube has set properly, i'll trim some off the top of the aperture where the propeller is being restricted from turning freely.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3514

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3513

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3517

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3515

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3516
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 2:58 pm

and the motor sailor has had her boxes located but not permanently fixed yet. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3518

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3519
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 pm

just thought i'd play around with some "deep mahogany" stain for the woodwork on the boat...........looks ok, so will do the decks and bulkheads of both boats in a day or two...…......

taking the motor one and my Shannon on to show my old friend and ex staff coxs'n of Fleetwood's old Waveney and Tyne tomorrow......….so might be there some time, as when we get together very very occasionally...…..we chat. lol.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3520

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3521
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 4:59 pm

I have now stained the decks and bulkheads in Colron "deep mahogany" water based "gloop" to be honest.....it needed watering down 1:4 stain to water....once it has dried it will then be varnished a couple of times.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3529

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3530

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3531

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3532
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 am

2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup 2thumbsup Thumbup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 pm

its been too cold in the workshop for me to hand paint satin varnish on to the decks and bulkheads of the boats, and so brought them inside to varnish this evening. two coats and now I can carry on with the hulls and get ready for painting.
tomorrow I'm going to start by putting the bilge grab rails into construction and then fit to the bilges...….only 4 to make lol.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3534

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3533

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3535
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 01, 2019 11:53 pm

next on the list was the making of the outer bilge grab rails in such an event that the boat capsized, which on many occasions in RNLI History this happened.

people tend to fabricate this from small blocks of timber with a strip laying on the outside leading edge.

I make them from one piece, but as a pair normally. on this occasion though I had two boats with identical hulls to make, and so made all four together as identical pairs...and this is how I did it.

1] cut 4 strips of obeche. [6mm ply will do just as good].2] make a card template of the curve of the hull where the rail is to be mounted and cut the curve with scissors.

3] mount this card onto 1 strip of timber and mark out.

4] run a pencil finger gauge along the wooden strip to the height of the rail.

5] if you have use of a band saw, cut out the rail, if not use a coping or fret saw to cut out the rail.

6] mark out the rail for the recesses onto the cut rail.

7] using veneer pins [very thin gauge steel nails] attach the rail to the remaining 3 strips of timber using nails

8] cut out the other rails identical to the first. do not separate.

9] whilst still all attached, cut out the recesses, using just the blade's width to cut out in strips.

10] separate and sand smooth.

there endeth the first part.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3539

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3541

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3540

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3543

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3544

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3537

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3536

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3538

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3556

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3557

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3558
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2019 11:09 pm

while I have been without my pooter for the last 5 days whilst it was in curry's for repairs I did a little to the two lifeboats.
first I stained the slats for the bench seats, and cut templates for the ends of the benches from card ready for cutting.
then I took the old girl [the Windermere challenge boat] up to the bath to see where the waterline sat in relationship to the decks into the sides of the boat...…..
I had marked on the outside, the level of the inside deck as I had decided to use some modellers licence and cut some scupper holes into the sides of the boat...…..my boat my choice, and I know the original boat DIDN'T have such openings, but I would rather loose a little originality than a boat I had spent blood sweat and tears on.
I marked the holes using masking tape as the boundaries of the holes, and then using a drill bit just slightly hess diameter than the width of the rectangles, I drilled and reamed out the holes, before filing them straight and square,
I now feel a little more easy that the boat will shed any surplus water from the deck and keep her relatively water free.
now I have done that, I noticed waters ingress from one of the locating pin holes of the outer bilge skid rails, so filled any gaps between each rail and hull with Milliput before sanding smooth.
But that problem can be rectified with a little polyester resin inside the hull...….but that will wait until the new year, for that is that until January. things to do and get ready for Christmas..

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3559

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3566

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3561

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3560

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3563

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3562

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3610

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3564

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3565
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 pm

now that daves Mersey has been strengthened to the point where it is barely liftable I have returned my two sailors to the workshop, but won't do anything until after boxing day at least but at least I have a relatively clear area to work on, thanks to my partial tidying.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3712

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3710

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3711
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 11:52 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2019 2:20 am

got an order for some of my lifeboat figures on Christmas day, and so once sobriety set in this morning with a wallop I thought the best way to get rid of my hang over was to cast them...…..

whilst casting them I put the "waste" resin to use and cast the eight grab rails that go on the tops of the end boxes for both boats..it only took around 6 grams per rail, but using this way was better than wasting nearly 60 grams which would have made 1 model figure......they are now ready for sanding down once cured.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3713

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3715

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3714

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Img_3716
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next