TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Christmas over, new year is just an excuse to get leathered and so I thought i'd get on with doing a bit on the two sailors.....tonight I glued the flotation boxes into their rightful slots on the motor sailor first, 

and then the end tops of the benches both fore and aft fitted temporarily. and finally although again not permanently fitted the grab rails for the fore and aft boxes were put in their approximate places to make sure they were a fit. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3717

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3719

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3718

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3720

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3721

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3722
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 am

and the same has now been done to the pulling/sailing lifeboat for the museum.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3723
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 04, 2020 7:00 pm

This part of the build will be in two sections, the first being the tools I used[ a tool using tools, lol.
my afternoon was taken modelling in the house as it is still too cold to work in the workshop...
I wanted to make the foot kick boards for the oarsmen to press against whilst pulling stroke....I made these originally for two similar boats some years ago, using some 3 x 1mm section as the cross bar, and 4mm sections of a moulding I found some years ago in an art/diy shop.
I tried cutting the moulding which is teak derivative with my two pad saws and a V block, but after cutting 4 sections I found it hard going and very time consuming and so dug out my vibro saw.
this saw is brilliant, made many years ago by Aeropiccola. I bought it off the school I taught in in 1975 just prior to going to OZZ for £15 quid, and it was the first power tool [apart from drills and sanders] I ever owned............it has been brilliant and amazing.....never let me down, and is so safe to use, you can actually press your fingers against the blade whilst it is going, without any injury to your skin.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0966

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0968

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0967

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0969

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0971

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0970
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 pm

the second part was slicing the moulding and cutting the strips of cross bar before gluing together with aliphatic resin...……..
but all 20, for the two boats have now been fabricated.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0972

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0973

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0974

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0975

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0977

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0976
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 pm

been lacking motivation the last few weeks, and puty it down to the cold weather in the workshop but also that my mobile work bench a chair and board were full of back papers and other crap that I had to sort out......and I finally got rid of those last night/this morning...…...ttf for shredders, lol...…

so this afternoon chose some mahogany from my stock, cut to size and sanded down...

these were going to be the cross thwarts [benches to you and me].

but before that I glued down the ends of the benches so that I can cut and glue the bench slats in place 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3726

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3728

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3727
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 pm

just been chatting to my friend Mick Burke in Canada, and we got on to my lifeboats that I'm building, and got chatting about the tabernacles that I have to make...………...

he immediately jumped in and told me to send him a drawing via email of what I want and he is going to make them for me.....

...……...so I knocked up a drawing for him free hand tonight and here is my order, times 4 that I sent to him.

he is one great man...……..a star, and I'm looking forward to going over to see him in July for a week or so

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3729
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 1:59 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 11:54 pm

tonight I spent time putting the slats around the airboxes and the bench tops.

I used 15mm picture framing pins to pin the slats to the frames, drilled, glued and pins, they wont be going anywhere.

tomorrow I might be going to the Wirral to have a look at an MGB Roadster that I have an eye on, but now that I know what I'm doing I'll probably crack on with the pulling and sailing boat tomorrow evening. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3730

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3731

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3732

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3733

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3734

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3735
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 12:40 pm

This is beautiful classic wood wood styling here Neil, you know how I feel about wood work😻 keep it up this is really starting to come together as another superb model.

Aron

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 3:40 pm

auuhh, thanks for the comments Aron...…..coming from you that is praise indeed, as your standards of wood working and finish, I can only dream if these days.....at my age, the lack of patience is proportional to the amount of arthritis I have in my bones, and just love watching your builds as they really are beautiful.

you know my past profession and it is just wonderful to get back to using some nice wood to play with.

the smells, texture and look of it far outweighs the bland ness and characterless build of a grp model.

I think that was why I became so bored, peeeeed off and fed up with building the two Shannon lifeboats more than anything.

and I am enjoying the build as well, twice over, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm

and the woodworking doesn't stop...….

this afternoon I cut some 6mm x 3mm and some 10mm x 3mm basswood from my supplies.

these are for the bulwark capping rails of the pulling and sailing and the motor sailor lifeboats respectively.

I fitted the motor sailor capping rails  with its overlap into the underside of the bow  end box first this afternoon, before moving on to the bench slats on the pulling sailing boat and fitting the bench slats.

the capping rails will be fitted tonight.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3737

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3738

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3736

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3739

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3740

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3741

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3744

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3742

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3743
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm

these long cold winter nights where I just can't be arsed going to the pub for a beer. I choose to sit at home watching the tv...…..at the moment watching "saving life at sea"...….and inspiration comes to mind.

so tonight I decided to make the tiller arms for both lifeboat rudders. the pulling sailing boat was originally just fitted with a tiller rather than like the motor sailor which was fitted with both tiller and steering wheel, and so that is what she will have, where as the motor sailor will have both fitted eventually.

I made both tillers from scraps of obeche, drilled and then shaped the slots for the tillers to slip over the rudder stocks,carved the slight shaping to the undersides of the tillers and then sanded and dry fitted them to the rudders.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3745

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3746

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3747

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3748

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3749
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 10:47 pm

just a small job tonight but they all 4 took a good bit of fitting onto the bow end boxes of each boat as it was easier to cut, "carve" and fit each one separately.

then I added the strengtheners to the backs of each one.

these are the breakwaters for the bows of the two boats, which would shed the water from  the decks and crew as the lifeboat beat its way out to the casualty in tumultuous seas...…...

well that's the theory, and I hope with the powered boat it will do the trick on Windermere.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3750
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 6:42 pm

[ltr]and this afternoon I completed the task of fitting the breakwaters on both boats. a tiny amount of filling might be needed, but nothing unusual for my building these days. [/ltr]
[ltr]to begin with I marked the position where the port side half fitted, marked the positions of the strengtheners, and then drilled into the buttresses with a 1mm bit to take steel pins.[/ltr]
[ltr]glued the pins using cyano, and then marked the end box top and drilled. [/ltr]
[ltr]Then I fitted the first half, followed by the second half.[/ltr]

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3751

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3752

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3753

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3755

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3754

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3756

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3757
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

cut the bow and fitted the bow gobeye fairlead tonight, that I had cast years ago for my Liverpool kit that I developed for my mate, Dave Metcalf.

just waiting for the 30 minute setting 2 part epoxy to actually set, lol...…..worse than watching paint dry.

the sailing lifeboat has a much more simple and crude fairlead, which I will make from timber and a roller tomorrow. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3758

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3759
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 pm

The bulwark supports for the rowlocks have been glued in place on both boats, and its working to the point now where all this wood can be given a few coats of stain, then a little French polish oil and rubbed up, before painting...……..but a few more wooden items yet to add to both boats before this happens.
The last two boats of this era I built, I had clearer photos of the cross thwarts supports and they were lovely turned timber uprights.
The nearest thing I could find at the time of build, as I wasn't prepared to spend hour after hour trying to turn from thin dowel, were dolls house stair case spindles.
And so I went on eBay yet again and bought some......should be with me by Tuesday at the latest and I can start fitting them to the thwarts...……..
The more ornate spindles are of time period circa the pulling/sailing boat and others are for the motor sailor.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3760

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Spindl10

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Spindl11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm

the spindles were fitted to the cross thwarts of the pulling / sailing lifeboat this afternoon...after arriving this morning...

they have been pinned to the thwarts, but not to the deck, as I want to stain them mahogany like the deck and thwarts before fixing the benches permanently.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3811

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3810

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3812
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 pm

the spindles have now been drilled and pinned at the base, deck drilled and the thwarts dry fitted.

Dry fitted because I want to fit the spindles to the motor sailor first before I stain all the spindles and any other untreated timber around the place, so that I get even colours.

However the fitted spindles to the motor sailor is going to be a far trickier job as all of the twarts are going to be split into 3 pieces, to allow the removal of the deck housing to get to the motor battery and R/C gear...….but that is for another day......have a beer or two to consume now lol. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3815

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3813

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3814

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3816
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 12:40 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup WOW 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Whilst i'm waiting for the second set of spindles to come for my motor sailor, I decided to plane up the four masts for the two boats, turning from the square "stock" which will fit into the tabernacles [that Mick in Canada is making for me], to the round masts that we all know.

I'm using pieces of Ash, as it is strong, takes knocks, straight as a die grain and won't split under pressure..

I used the old fashioned method, a block plane, and for this I have a beautiful small palm block plane given to me by a good friend of mine Terry Donn who owned and ran the model shop on Bold Street, Southport for many years. I think of him every time I use it and a lovely way to remember a friend who has sadly passed away.

Also whilst making the first main mast I drilled a sequence of holes towards the top of the mast, and opened them up to make a slot for the pulley block for hoisting the gaff rig of the boat.
after transforming the square to round section mast I sanded both masts down, but as yet have not decided on what rig I am going to use for the mizzen sail....so have left the mizzen mast virginal timber at the moment.

And just as a foot note, I learned from my good friend Rob Baines this evening whilst chatting about the actual lifeboat SIR FITZROY CLAYTON, that the actual boat, which was being used as a houseboat on Lake Windermere, the lake that we will be sailing these gems on sadly sank to the bottom of the lake in 1986...….I do hope that the replica in miniature doesn't suffer the same fate

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3817

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3818

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3819

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3820

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3822

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3821

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3823

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3824

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3825

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3826
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am

TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE BACK TODAY I'M AFRAID!!! better it happens now though than mid lake on Windermere.
I decided on the motor I am going to use in the boat, and that is one of the Buhler 12-18v motors, that I bought many years ago for a quid each from my mates hobby shop in Southport......I bought 20 of them at the time and this is one of the two last ones I have...…...
They run a model of this size with electronise speed controller at scale speed quite happily on a 12v battery for a couple of hours...…..quite plenty enough as I hope to only use it for direction change and to get me out of bovver.
So thje job next was to set up the prop shaft by injecting the tube with my favourite mix of Vaseline and graphite powder mixed...….it has worked for me with absolutely no leaks even in such a short tube as 7 inches for a season of sailing.
The job next was to set up the prop shaft by injecting the tube with my favourite mix of Vaseline and graphite powder mixed...….it has worked for me with absolutely no leaks even in such a short tube as 7 inches for a season of sailing. nd in doing so, I knocked the rudder, which broke the foot piece that the rudder base pintle fits into hence the step backwards. but this will be repaired with a brass plate and brass tube tomorrow.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3827

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3828

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3829

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3830

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3831

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3832

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3833
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 9:02 pm

oh!!!, I just love to get my torch lit......

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3834

but before that it was time to make a new rudder skeg from 2mm brass, and so I cut a strip[, rounded one end and drilled a hole to take a leather eyelet.

and then to silver soldering the eyelet into the hole.

once I had the piece, I cut a slit into the stern to slide the new skeg into place, using the half hole left in the old skeg as a correct placement for the fabrication.

I then held the piece in place with a small "G" cramp, and drilled from the centre of the remaining skeg through the brass and into the stern in order to add two stainless steel pins, held in with 2 part epoxy. I used a 5 minute setting epoxy, so that I could get it all filled with body filler before turning the lights out on the workshop for the night. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3836

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3835

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3837

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3841

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3843

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3842

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3838

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3839

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3840

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3844

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3845

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3846

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3847
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 12:47 am

the rudder skeg has been repaired, sanded and the rudder refitted.....everything seems to be fine with nice clear and free movement.....no drag to cause any stress to the metal geared servo, on a 12 hour sail [ most probably as Windermere is 11.5 miles long...……...but I shall take a couple of spare servos and a spare motor, but hopefully wont need any of them.
then, as the other spindles arrived this morning I fitted 2 onto the rear most thwart. They were an absolute bargain.
I got 5 Newel posts for heavy work [might incorporate some of them into the boats as a bit of decorative work......maybe not lol] and 53 lighter spindles for 8 quid second hand off eBay…..1 newel post costs 2.99 and 12 pack of the lighter ones cost 4.99 new...….nearly 40 quid if I'd had bought new. who says you cant get bargains on fleebay.
anyway...…...I now have to work out where the inboard spindles on each thwart goes, as each thwart has to be cut, to leave the centre section attached to the engine room and drop keel hatch as free sections for access to those areas, without having to lift the whole thwart, which I don't feel would work.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3849

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3848

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3850
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm

I have tonight split the thwarts so to allow the centre fitments to be removed for maintenance,...………. 

but am having a hard pressed job to get even the first centre section level with the others...……..

so am going to pack them up leave them, and one day soon when in a better frame of mind...…….get back to them...…...plenty of other jobs to be getting on with. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3851
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 7:01 pm

today, I had a couple of eureka moments...….

firstly I felt a little better today than I felt all day yesterday after suffering a mass overdose of falling down water celebrating the events of the night before and our independence day, lol...…...

so I set off in search of moulds for some small but important pieces needed for my boats...….the brass to make the mast rings to locate mast crutches, belaying pins, etc, all normal on rigging the boats.

I found the small pulley inserts for the two main masts.

I found the pulley rigging blocks for the static boat,...….have to buy some working pulley blocks from Mastman.

I found the ships wheel for the motor sailor I bought from Sitek a few days ago [great service by the way]

I found the period ships life ring mould for the two boats.

I found both sets of moulds for the early ridged oar blades, and

I found the later period oar blades with curved ends. and finally

I found the mould for the row locks for both boats......same cross over pattern...

now this is a eureka moment...….especially in my workshop. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3858

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3856

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3857

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3859

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3860

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3861

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3862

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3863

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3864

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3865
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm

tonight on my trusty old Myford lathe I turned up all the brass rings for the 4 masts.....three each for each mast to take belaying pins, top mast stays and rigging blocks, plus top pullies

tomorrow evening I'll turn the collars that will fit on the booms and gaffs...…...then I'll silver solder the links to join the booms to masts [only the mizzen masts]. the main masts are "dipping lug gaff rigged", no boom at the bottom of the sails.

I made them tough to take the weight of wet sails on the Windermere challenge. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3867

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3866

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3868

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3869
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 3:28 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Absoloutly works of ART
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 pm

thank you kind sir...………….didn't make the belaying pins though. 

lol...….far too difficult for my limited lathe skills, lol. bought them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 3:14 pm

spent last night making all of the mast stay loops that will be silver soldered into the mast rings.

then spent this afternoon drilling the mast rings to take the stay loops.

I hope that the promised storm over the next few says AND  the minus temps don't come or it will be a miss in there to silver solder until it gets warmer. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3870

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3871

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3872

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3873
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 pm

bought last sunday night at 21.00 hours 5 lengths [minimum order] of Ash dowel to match the Ash masts for my two lifeboats ……….Ash being much stronger, more flexible and of course same colour as the masts, arrived on Tuesday morning, brilliant service.

I have marked them up, and now going to put them in the lathe and taper them ready for taking brass end caps.

once these have been done I can cap them and solder the hoops on for rigging.....hope to post photos later today.

back from a nice evening in the pub with friends......

I capped the booms and gaffs with brass tubing, and will drill for the loops tomorrow when I have a more steady hand, lol...…...not too good on 4 pints of a nice strong beer, hahaha!

but here are photos of the turning and sanding of the dowels using a live centre on the lathe to keep the spars running truly.

once sanded smooth I added the brass tubing, with a tight fit, [you can see the shavings of one of the tubes as it cuts its way into the spar...…….then sanded smooth.

all brass ferrules were then glued in place using cyano acrylate. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3874

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3876

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3877

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3880

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3882

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3881
SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3878

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3879
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 pm

just been sorting out small off cuts of brass so that tomorrow I can make the mizzen boom fittings to attach them to the mast rings...…..

this will be fun, but all joints will be silver soldered for strength, as I think the working vessel might take some hammering up Windermere in June, and I don't want the embarrassment of the rigging giving way...….

sinking, I could just possibly tolerate, but not finishing...……...hahhh!"!!

that will be a job for tomorrow. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3910

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3911
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 11:06 pm

just finished drilling for and fitting the eyelets I made earlier to the brass mast rings for one boat.....the static lifeboat for Lytham St Annes lifeboat museum. this boat will take no stress on the rigging or sails as it will never take to the water, and so I was able to glue the eyelets into the brass rings using strong UHU cyano [superglue]..
the working boat will have to be a little stronger and joints will have to be soft and silver soldered, the soft soldering for the brass ferrules already attached to the spars and boom and the silver soldered rings for the brass rings. those i'll do tomorrow, now that I know the thing works, lol.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3912

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3914

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3913

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3915

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3916

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3917
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 5:24 pm

this afternoon I fabricated from brass the linkage between the aft booms and the mast  on each boat...…...

not quite scale and a bit on the chunky side, but you never know when Steve Williams, curator of the Lytham museum, might want to nick the boat from its case and go sailing it freestyle down on St Annes Fairhaven lake...………..

But they have been made durable to take the strain of the mizzen sail. 

sorry about the blared visions of some...…….was using a spare camera, sorry...…..but you get the idea. lol. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3918

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3919

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3920

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0978

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0979

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_3921

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0980

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0982

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0981

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0983

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0985

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0984
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2020 11:01 pm

masts, spar and boom all new fully fitted and just ready for the tabernacles to come from Mick in Canada.

I also received from a seller in the Isle of Man from ebay some rigging screws. I will make them for the museum boat, but those were limited in number or i'd have bought more.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0986

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0988

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Img_0987
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3