TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Empty
PostSubject: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm

i'm having a little break until after the Blackpool show.

I am waiting for Adam at Mountfleet Models to bring me a set of mouldings for the 1;12 scale Tyne Class lifeboat which I will be building as the Fleetwood lifeboat William Street, 47-038.

but as usual I have dropped myself in it, and whilst talking to a gentleman at the 1940's Lytham St Annes 1940's classic rally in the lifeboat museum, I think I have dropped myself in it for building a model of the pulling/sailing lifeboat, a 35' Liverpool class lifeboat, now under restoration, the Blackpool lifeboat Samuel Fletcher, but I think i'll build two of them at the same time and call mine after the Hilbre Island RNLI boat Chapman...…….detail will be relatively easy as the boat is now a display boat at Lytham museum on the green……….

I am building mine as that boat because she served at Cromer for a short while and Henry Blogg, my hero served on her in the early part of the last century.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Samuel10

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Samuel11

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Samuel12

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Willia12

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Willia10

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Willia11

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Willia14

and the last sad sight..……..the William street finally leaving Fleetwood for the last time pale silent 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Willia13

so, two totally different builds from opposite ends of the spectrum,  but one I think i'll enjoy...…...

so look out for them this coming October/November.

Last edited by nhp651 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Look forward to this build matey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 pm

the first leap forward has been made, and I didn't expect it so soon.

today I received a nice long box from my good friend Dave Metcalf, and that could only mean one thing...……..a box with hulls in it, so eagerly opening it, I found two beautifully moulded Liverpool class hulls and their end boxes.

the hulls are ones that we generated when I was designing the twin screw motor Liverpool class lifeboat, that Dave is  developing slowly for release as a kit sometime in the future.

but it is as near as damn it to the old 35' pulling and sailing lifeboat that I want to build, and so is what I will use.

I now have to go to see the actual Samuel fletcher being restored in a factory workshop in Fleetwood to get some photos of her decks, thwarts and such things so that I can build [ no plans available] to as close as I can.

I am looking forward to building them [one to be presented to the Lytham St Annes lifeboat museum when finished, the other one depending on whether she was fitted with motor before she left lifeboat service will be either a pulling/sailing boat or a motor sailor.

how ever I have a couple of jobs to do in the workshop before I start, and that will include researching the motor situation.

so until then...…...here's a couple of pictures to compare the Liverpool's with the Shannon for size...……….think what they'd look like against a Severn.

by the way, before anyone says anything, the Samuel Fletcher was/is a 36' Watson, not a Liverpool...……...but the Liverpool is close enough for my liking, and sod anyone who doesn't lol. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2811

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2810

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2812

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2813

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2814

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2817

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2816

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2815
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 10:24 pm

nhp651 wrote:
I could prolong my lust for "scratch" building another classic lifeboat NO longer, and so took the first steps to get the boat rolling yesterday, by asking my friend Rob Baines, who is involved heavily in the restoration project of Fleetwood's old lifeboat RNLB Ann Letitia Russell, if he had any photos of the old motor sailor Sir Fitzroy Clayton.

Not only did he come up with photos of her and similar boats, but also plans of the boat, which I am going to have enlarged to 1;12 scale at my local print shop next week.

however, in the meantime I have marked out the aperture in the "deadwood" of the keel to take the propeller and shaft, plus also where I have to fill in part of the twin tunnels on the outer edges to make the boat a single tunnelled lifeboat.

the static pulling/sailing lifeboat for the museum will of course just have both tunnels filled in to the appropriate levels and contours.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr11

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr12

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr10

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr14

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr15

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  New_pr13

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2910

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2818

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2911

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2912
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup I'm looking forward to this build Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 am

I hope I don't disappoint, my friend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 am

first job was today, to cut out the hole in the keels' "deadwood" for the single propeller, and to make a wooden insert to both fill the void of the curve of the upper tunnel with a timber insert.

I cut the holes both port n starboard in the grp in my usual way.....drilling and reaming out and then took a piece of 3mm ply to act as a template before transferring to a piece of 6mm ply...……

then I was interrupted by my daughter with a problem which needed sorting out. so play stopped for the day.

it will resume tomorrow. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2913

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2914

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2915

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2916

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2917

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2918

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2921

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2919

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2920
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

when i'm not constrained by parts I haven't a clue as to where they go without instructions and constant visits to two different lifeboat stations to find out that info, I am actually quicker scratch building.

I have been filling in the propeller recess, with both timber [ ply and obeche' in this case] and polyester filler. I have angled the propeller tube in this case to fit a motor. I also put a small platform on top of the propeller tunnels to take a rudder servo and receiver for the R/C.
then, once set I sanded out the recess to a relatively smooth surface, which I will fill and then sand tomorrow..

I have also marked with masking tape where I will fill the tunnels on the pulling sailing boat, as on this model......there's no prop to save the heroes from an arduous back breaking row to the casualty....

both tunnels on both boats will be filled tomorrow where appropriate with both foam and filler. watch this space. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  20190910

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  20190911

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  20190912

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2922

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2924

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2923

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2925

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2927

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2926

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2929
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 5:46 pm

this afternoon I took my daughter's memory stich that she had downloaded the plans on to that I showed on the first post.
the print shop is THEE print shop to go to. I think every business and guest house in Blackpool take their stuff to when they need printing. they are brilliant.
the shop was able, from the small down load that I supplied to enlarge the copy to EXACTLY 927 mm, the length of the hull from stem to stern.....the guys and girls in there are just so helpful and really take an interest in what you are doing.
the shop, for anyone wanting to get some when they come up to the Blackpool show is called Granthams, of Charnley road, and I cannot emphasise just how good they are.

https://granthams.co.uk/pages/blackpool

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2932

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2930

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2931
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

TWO into ONE and two into none DO GO!!

With the help of a little high impact foam to bulk out the tunnels

I have filled in to make the motor sailor a single tunnelled boat, and the pulling/sailing boat into a NO tunnelled boat........
all in rough state at the moment whilst the filler cures and then mucho sanding, lol.
SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2933

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2934

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2935

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2936

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2937

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2938

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2939

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2940

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2941

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2942
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 5:58 pm

first layers of filler have been sanded off, [of which I forgot to take photos], for the second layer to be added to fill in any "lows" in the original layer.

once this layer has cured tomorrow I'll sand off and any small vagaries  I will fill with surface scratch filler compound before sanding them with fine paper.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_0100

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_0101

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_0102
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 am

Wowzers 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 pm

still a little more filling on each boat, but I think I have got it all now, ready for filler spray.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2943

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2946

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2947

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2948
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I THINK...well eck I KNOW you need a trip down ere with the hulls 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

and then it was on to make the rudder skegs for both boats.....as the motor sailor will be in the water rarely, and the museum boat never I made them both out of 9mm 5 ply birch faced ply...

drilled a hole for the holding pins ans one to take brass eyelets for the rudder pintle, they were glued in place using 2 part epoxy..

I'm going out in a little while to fill them with filler, before leaving to cure and sand off tomorrow.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2949

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2950

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2951

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2954

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2952

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2953

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2955

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2957

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2956

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2958
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 pm

stavros wrote:
I THINK...well eck I KNOW you need a trip down ere with the hulls 

Dave

I'll do these ones matey, as they are simple ones to do...……..will save the more complicated one...…...the TYNE which I'm picking up at Blackpool from Adam at Mountfleet, As that is a little more complicated, and I know you like complication in your life,  lol! lol! 

but thanks for the offer...…..I do appreciate it and your help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 10:12 pm

and finally for tonight, I dug out of my store a nice chunky plank of obeche' and cut some 10mm square sections of it for my deck beams on both boats...

thank god for my trusty Electra Beckum band saw.. 29 years old and still going strong, touch wood. ripped through it like a hot knife through butter.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2959

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2960
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 5:35 pm

[ltr]today was another dig around in my box of scrap timber to find something suitable for the two rudders.....

I found a nice piece of 6mm sycamore that my dear but sadly now deceased friend Terry Donn, [who used to own the brilliant model shop on Bold Street, Southport] gave me probably 10 or more years ago...
[/ltr]

[ltr]it is a lovely timber to work with, very close grained and takes sealer and paint beautifully with virtually no grain visibility for this scale of model[/ltr]

[ltr]I cut the two rudders together, and fitted the lower pintle pin that slots into the rudder skeg.[/ltr]

[ltr]then marked out the rudder to simulate the planking that they are made from, and after measuring the RNLB CHAPMAN of Hilbre, they were/are about 15mm or 7" wide real life..[/ltr]

[ltr]I then simulated the plank joins by cutting thin groves with a craft knife, curved the edges with abrasive paper, and left it for tea.. i'll fit the upper pintle pin later when i have worked out what i am doing.lol. [/ltr]

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2963

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2964

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2965

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2967

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2966

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2968

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2969

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2970

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2971
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Outstanding  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 1:22 am

Damien wrote:
2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Outstanding  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Thumbup 2thumbsup ……..cheers mate...………..I love working in nice timbers...…..my raison' d'tre
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 2:20 pm

this morning I decided to fit the two rudders to the boats...…..one a static, and the other a working rudder...…

well, I have to admit...….all didn't go to plan, and here is where my first cock up was covered up.

I made two pintle brackets for each boat, drilled them, cut slots into the stern posts, lined both up with brass rod, glued them in place with 30m epoxy, only to find when I slotted the pin at the base of the rudder into the receiving hole on the rudder skeg the now set pintle brackets didn't line up in any way with the fore edge of the rudder.....

one massive miscalculation on my part.....for my planned method of fixing was to use one single rod to run through the skeg and up through the brackets.....I must have had a brain fart thinking that would work, as now having looked at it the rudder pin could never have run on the same axis as the holes in the brackets.

so I had to have a bit of a rethink on the working rudder and I decided to have another pin at the top of the rudder going into a bracket at the top of the stern post, and use the pintle brackets as dummies, and cover the slots cut into the rudder in a vane attempt to rectify my cockup with the rudder board binding strips that I had to fit anyway...after such a blunder I deserve my lunch, as they don't look too bad to the onlooker...except that I have now confessed to you lot out there of my lunacy in scratch building....

but at the end of the day, its so much more fun than kit bashing where the mistakes are not yours, and you are rectifying someone else's blunders, not your own...I feel so much happier....

anyway....I can now say its beginning to look like a lifeboat and not a canoe....I think that the old classic lifeboats are made by their lovely rudders.

and now its on to my next blunder and cock up...just makes me a whole lot stronger and wiser.

. i'll not fit a rudder like that next time:joy::joy::joy::sunglasses:???????????? 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2972

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_2973

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3010

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3012

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3011

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3013

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3014

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3016

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3015
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 2:43 pm

small job today, as I have a stinking headache, and can't be bothered doing much.
I cut out a wooden template that I traced from the plans for the drop keel to aid the boat when sails are set.....I have a friend in Fleetwood who cut me 3 for my last two sailing lifeboats some years ago, and he said he would cut this one for me.....but he's on holiday this week, and so once Hounds of the Baskerville has finished on TV I am going out to make the holding box for the keel which fits into the forward keel of the motor lifeboat. as the other is static and the keels wont be seen, I won't be fitting them to this, and all that will be seen of them is the plate on the deck of the boat, which is an inspection hatch. hopefully my friend will be able to make it from 6mm brass plate.
this will give a nice weighty keel.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3017
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm

suddenly remembered from last time that I have to put in the deck beams before I put the box in for the drop keel...…..so started on the static boat first....as usual I cut the 10 x 10mm square beams across ways so that the beam will take the curve of the hull better.

I don't use the steaming method as it takes so long before you get to glue the thing together.

so I have put the 2 longitudinal beams[not yet glued in] but have glued the end cross members in, using 2 part epoxy...….have left it to set for a while and then will mark out the next lot of cross members in. 

this is now getting fun. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3020

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3019

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3018

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3022

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3023
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 8:05 pm

I've done all I can do for tonight with the deck beams, as there are now too many clamps in such a small area...I have fitted all the cross beams and one centre beam …….but will finish it off by putting the remaining centre beams into the boat tomorrow.however, under each but joint between beams I have added a small support plate of 1.5mm ply, glued in place with 2 part epoxy. 

the motor sailor will be slightly different in configuration...…….look out for tomorrows instalment. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3026

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3025

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3024

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3027

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3028

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3029
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 5:42 pm

the  deck support beams are now fully added to the static museum pulling/sailing boat and apart from cleaning the joints and gluing the frame into the boat, it is ready for the deck to be placed onto the boat, but this needs bilge keels making and these will be made from 6mm ply, but not until both boats are in the same state of readiness.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3030

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3031

then I started the retaining box for the drop keel. this has been started and the 7mm spacers glued onto the ends of the first side of the box. the masking tape is to stop the 30 minute epoxy from staining the timber, for although the inside will obviously not bee seen I have to paint the interior with sanding sealer and then varnish to stop it rotting from sea water getting into the grain of the ply...…..once the glue has cured I will offer up the other side, sand the ends that are to be glued and mask those areas before painting all the interior edges with sealer and then varnish.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3032

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3033
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm

AND THEN FINALLY I glued the box together, but it wasn't until the epoxy had set that I noticed a very fine hairline crack running up from top to bottom on one of the panels.
obviously I couldn't leave it like that, and I didn't want to start from the beginning and fabricate a new one, and so!!
I took a piece of 1.5mm birch ply , made two side panels and epoxied them on to the two sides of the box to reinforce the fabrication.
and once I did this and set it aside overnight to set and cure, I fished out, yet another fine piece of Ash wood.
I didn't want to put off any further the question of the masts. and so cut out 2 x 14mm square section lengths for the first set. taking my palm plane, a present for my old friend terry I used it to start tapering and rounding the square into a round section mast...this little plane is worth its weight in gold.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3035

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3034

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3036

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3037

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3038
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm

today was all about siting the cleaned up drop keel box, making the fitting watertight, and then constructing the deck support beams around it offering support to the box as well as the deck.

there is more to come on the deck beams but I have brain fatigue, lol...…...doesn't take much these days before simple mistakes are and can be made and so will leave the next bit until tomorrow.

what follows is a self explanatory of locating the box in the right place, fitting and gluing the box etc…...

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3039

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3055

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3041

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3042

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3040

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3043

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3045

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3044

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3046

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3047

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3048

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3049

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3050

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3051

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3052

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3053

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3054
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 pm

[ltr]having looked at it now that the clamps are off the main frame, I have to figure out how to make a removeable hatch aft of the keel box so that I can get the motor, battery, r/c equipment et al in …….as yet I haven't worked out just how big I want or need the hatch, which will also contain the engine room skylight and control box. [/ltr]
[ltr]also I have measured up the two end boxes for my boat, [ the static boat end boxes are somewhat shorter, but I have to lengthen the stern box on the motor lifeboat and shorten the bow box by around 35mm. as can be seen in the photos........now that really is the end for tonight. [/ltr]

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3057

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3058

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3056

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3059
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I have been pondering for days how I was going to adapt a watertight flush deck that I designed for my old steam trawlers years ago.... it is a deck that uses a method to stop capillary rise of water and used a system of a top, a rim fitted to the bottom of the top and a trough running around the outside of the rim.
but the problem faced was that there is such a sheer of deck running from stern to bow that my normal flat hatches was absolutely no good at all.
I closed in the hatch size, so by narrowing it it is easier to construct a w/t hatch...….but I seem to have gone astray with the measurements as the fore end looks much off centre compared with the aft...….but measuring the width from the sides of the hull, it is bob on...….might be an illusion as I am bloody tired at the moment after a marathon two days of being taxi to my girls......one going to London by coach and taking the other to York yesterday for her fresher week at York university. …..but if it is off centre it can be masked by the deck planking to come and the deck fittings and benches...…...and at 30 metres out in the lake...…...who's to notice anyway, lol.
after I had narrowed the parameters of the overall size of the hatch by adding more longitudinal beams I then added the pieces of timber that stop the capillary rise of the water into the hull.... a small gap was left between these thinner pieces of timber and the beams...…...why you ask.
well, once the top of the hatch has been added and glued to those thin uprights, a small drill bit can be put down the gap and the pieces of timber holding all the structure together can be cut, and the hatch, once set will conform to the sheer of the main deck...……..
a bit of thought to a simple solution.....but my brain aches now, lol. ….scratch building is great.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3060

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3062

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3061

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3063
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 5:36 pm

just bought my timber for planking the decks and inside bulwark hull, plus some thicker 3mm sheets of the same for the seat bench strips.

the thicker 5mm strips I shall cut from my lump of obeche for the bench supports...…….but it is lovely timber to cut, sand and then stain with mahogany, as it is of the same family as mahogany. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Obeche-Wood-Panels-100mm-x-450mm-x-0-8mm-Pack-of-3-Sheets-OBE0X3/141566543198?hash=item20f606055e:g:9rEAAOSwNSxU1NgD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 pm

but finally for tonight, the lid to the hatch was cut from 1.5mm birch ply, and this I cut across the grain so that it bends easily because the grain of the timber is at right angles to the axis of the bend and as such aids the timber to take a curved shape easily.
this was glued using 30minute 2 part epoxy adhesive and clamped in place...…..

the second and last job for tonight was to lengthen the aft stern end box and shorten the fore end box. both were shaped for the motor Liverpool boat that the hulls of these boats are based on and had cut outs in the top of them which needed filling.
and so, these cut outs were filled from underneath with 0.8mm ply, cut across the grain to make bending easier. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3064

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3065

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3066

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3069

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3067

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3068

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3070
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 am

Good to see you've not been idle while I've been away Neil.  lol!

Looking good. 

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 pm

no mate...…...racing ahead.....am enjoying it...……….did you have a good holiday. 

i'm a genius really, lol............even if I have to tell myself that, lol  lol! lol! lol! cheers

my hatch idea has worked perfectly.

split it from the main frame holding it this morning, and it has given the perfect sheer line.........brilliant....

now just got to put in the holding trough to make it waterproof...…….but first got to go out and buy some paracetamol as I have a stinking cold.
the first part of modifying the end boxes has also come out right, so am buzzing this morning.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3071

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3073

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3072

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3074
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup Coming along great matey  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 11:42 pm

cheers mate..…………...I'm thoroughly enjoying this build, after the Shannon which became a drudge...…..
anyway...……..said all i'm going to say on that subject, the past is done and almost forgotten...…..just the recurring nightmares to deal with,  lol! lol! 

this is the last post this evening...…
i have finished the watertight hatch, by putting a flange around the inside of the opening and then raising the upstands which make up the second part of the barrier to water ingression through the deck joint..

all parts, once set were cleaned up, sanded down, and cleaned off......it now fits snuggly but not tightly. I will tomorrow give both the inside of the hath and the hatch well some liberal coats of sanding sealer, rub down with wire [ steel] wool and once all the boat is finished it will be treated with a layer of Vaseline as a further part of the barrier against water ingression.

and finally, as with all my models where a wooden frame is used to support the deck, I put a gusset of body filler from the longitudinal beams to the hull side. not only does this "glue" the beams to the hull, but reinforces an impregnable barrier to the deck against water seeping into the hull in rough weather.
tomorrow, I am going to fit the under deck in small pieces, before attempting to fit the fore/aft bulkheads for the end boxes......should be fun.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3075

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3077

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3076

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3078

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3080

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3079

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3081
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 12:56 pm

building a new model from scratch is always about planning,...…..thinking off the cuff, and outside the box......…

I lead a sad life at the moment...….one daughter off to uni, the other not knowing what to do, I am in a state of limbo, so much of my time at the moment is spent thinking about these two boats......could do with a nice lady to take my mind off boats now and then, lol

this morning I woke up thinking that as the masts are mounted in tabernacles that will be made from silver soldered brass, the latter need to be screwed to the deck...….but as the deck is only 1.5mm thick, with a 0.8mm planking on top......….it doesn't give much purchase and holding power for any screws I put in to hold the fitting for the mast, and the strain it will be under when in sail...

….so!!! I had to fortify the underside of the deck and centre beam by adding some strengtheners this morning.

also it was now time to glue into the hull, the frame work for the static museum boat as well.

so that was the first job of today. 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3082

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3083

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3084

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3085

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3086

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3088

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3089

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3087
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 pm

cracking on with them, I made a card template this afternoon of the deck of the static boat first...…..easier to do, no obstructions and no parts to butt up to...….

and once this was transferred from card to 1.5mm ply and fitted, but not glued in place, it can itself be used as a template for the other boat.

in fact the bow section fore of the keel box has been cut and dry fitted using the other boats deck as a pattern 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3091

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3090

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3092

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3095

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3093

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3094

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3096
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm

[ltr]this morning , using the same card template I made the pieces for the deck.[/ltr]

[ltr]instead of making it in one piece I split it to a fore part running from the aft end of the keel box, to the bow. [/ltr]

[ltr]and the aft end was in two pieces, both port and starboard......thus enabling me to get a close up fit around the removeable hatch.[/ltr]

[ltr]two small cross pieces will be added once the three pieces have been glued.[/ltr]

[ltr]the adhesive that I will use to glue deck to beams will be my favourite timber to timber glue......Aliphatic quick grab resin. [/ltr]

[ltr]I got my old tube out ready and found it had gone a little lumpy.........no bloody wonder.....the "use by" date was 04/2013...

…………..think I was stretching its usefulness a little far........but that was the last time I used it on my other wooden lifeboats, lol …..

so ordered some new stuff today from a shop in Yorkshire, he was trying to get in the post yesterday....might be here today......and also waiting for my obeche planking material today tomorrow...….a process I just love doing.....honestly....love planking.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3098

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3099[/ltr]

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3097

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3101

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3100
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm

I ordered my obeche on Sunday , and I ordered my aliphatic resin yesterday just after 14.00 hours...

both came today...……...and that is what I call excellent service from both companies, Hobbies of Attleborough in Norfolk, and Technologies ltd of Halifax...…….they were both very well packaged, and would recommend them to anyone as excellent service.

so, now I can get down to stripping the 0.8mm sheets into planks.

I had a trip down to our restoration boat, the Ann Letitia Russell this afternoon  to get the width of the deck planks, for I cannot see other boats would be much different, but whop but a rivet counter would care anyway.

they measured 3 n7/8ths" wide, or 95mm. and so, devided by scale of 1;12 they come to 8.91666r mm wide, so i'll yet again annoy the rivet counters and cut them to 9mm width...……...and so let cutting commence, lol.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3103

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3104

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3102

Last edited by nhp651 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 6:39 pm

NOW.....that didn't take long......a sharp knife, steel straight edge rule and a cutting board...…..and the job was done...…..108 planks of 230mm by 9 mm [ 9' x 4"] and 12 planks of 230mm x 11 mm [9' x 5.2"

the wider planks are the ends of the sheets, but are the same width as the "king plank" on the ALR...……...the central plank, laid along the longitudinal line of the deck, to which all other planks are butted up to...…..this makes it an easy job of uniformly laying the planks straight and even.

I just hope I have enough for both boats!!!

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3111

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3112

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3110
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 pm

a hint of a useful tip in my last post of today.
if you can't find your 6" or 9" steel rules [ as I can't at the moment]..and you need to find the centre in an awkward place such as between two sloping high bulwarks, then use this tip......
take two mcdonalds stirring sticks........place the sticks hard up against the opposite bulwarks and side by side...…..mark the ends of each stick on the other stick......take one stick and measure the distance from the end of stick to mark on the stick itself, and then half the distance. of course the two sticks should be of equal length.....once you have that length......just mark it on the timber you want to find the centre of, in my case, the fore deck and the aft hatched deck.
then, glue the deck in place with plenty of clamps and old batteries.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3113

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3114

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3115
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 2:11 pm

the fore deck glued nicely last night, so measured and marked up for the aft side decks, and glued them in using both clamps and old batteries as weights ...plus I glued in the full deck for the static model.........
unfortunately in a rush to get the decks on, I forgot to make the bilge keels and fit them before i did glue the deck in......
c'est la vie...……..I'll work something out, lol,

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3116

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3117

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3118

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3119

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3121

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3120
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup coming on matey!!!!!!!  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup  2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 pm

cheers Damien...…….am really enjoying this build...…..

so today it was down to cutting some slices of obeche for the bilge keels on both boats.....taking the shape from the pattern I used on the original Liverpool class boat I cut some 8mm strips, and using the pattern, cut them out, . I sanded them on my linisher into pairs and sanded to fit each boat.
once done I marked out for pins to position and hold in place, instead of watching them slide all over the hulls as I attempted to hold them down with frog tape.
once pins of 0.8mm stainless steel had been fitted to the keels, I offered them up to mark for drilling the hulls........there is a raised marker strip moulded into the hulls for the bilge keels to locate on to, and the receiving holes were drilled into the centre of the strip.
finally 30 minute 2 part epoxy adhesive was used to glue them in.....the longer setting adhesive giving me time to get them set into position, and then weigh down with a large battery on a flat surface.
SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3122

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3123

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3124

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3126

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3125

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3127

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3128
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 pm

weighing up the positioning of the end boxes on both boats [as they are both different lengths and heights] now that the bilge keels have been glued in place....these still need cleaning up and sanding to shape but I'll do that tomorrow

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3129

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3130

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3131
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 10:38 pm

just come in from my workshop having used and some old templates and slightly rejigging them to fit. they will need some "filling" with extra timber, but nothing that isn't out of ones capabilities, especially the stern bulkhead.

they will be glued in place tomorrow and reinforced from behind, and what ever it takes to get a rounded edge to the sides, …….but that I shall work out with a fresh mind tomorrow.

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3132

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3134

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3133

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3136

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3135
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 5:04 pm

this afternoon was spent putting up the fore and aft end box bulkheads on both boats......

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3137

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3138

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3139

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3140

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3141

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3142

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3143
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 7:16 pm

enough done for today and tonight.

I have put a small beading around the bulwark tops for the static, as these boxes are not raised like the motor sailor. and so much easier to fit the end boxes.

they will be shaped in the next day or so and the end boxes fitted. I will also fit the top bow box to the motor sailor but the stern box top has some internal fitting of a  servo for the rudder operation to  be made 

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3144

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3145

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3146

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3148

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Img_3147
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat    SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat  Empty

Back to top Go down

SIR FITZROY CLAYTON Fleetwood,motor lifeboat
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next